For the non Muslims

SweetAmirah

I am no scholar, and I am new to Islam (about a month)

But one of the biggest things that I like to discuss are in fact women's rights in Islam.

There are many questions I have received from friends and family members since my conversion and most of them have been related to this topic.

some of the main questions from people who know little about Islam were: "Won't your husband be oppressive, and isn't the hijab oppressive? wont your husband beat you?"

Please, ladies, know your rights in Islam! Men are not allowed to beat women in Islam. In fact IF they DO touch you, they can't even leave a mark on your skin, there should not even be a red mark (you know, that fades away in seconds)

The hijab is a woman's choice, it is not forced upon them. Anyone that forces their women to wear it is ruled by culture, and not by Islam.
Most women make the choice to wear hijab because it FREES them from oppression. Do you truly think a half naked woman sitting on a car to SELL the car is not oppression? Women being used as sexual objects? A woman in Hijab is looked at with the highest respect, and for her mind, and not her beauty.

About men being allowed 4 wives.Do you think a woman would really want four husbands? Would YOU want 4 husbands to take care of at the end of the day?! Its hard enough caring for one! (laundry, dinner, ETC)
The whole reason behind men being allowed 4 wives is for social needs. In the times of the Prophet (peace be upon him) there was a lot of war. Men would leave their wives and kids and not return home. What were these women supposed to do to care for her family? there was no social support in those days. Everything about Islam is an answer to a problem. You don't see too many Muslim men taking more than one wife these days because he has to treat each one equally. That means, a house for each wife, he has to spend the same amount of time with each wife, therefore you have to be WELL OFF in order to do this. And in fact, while polygamy is allowed, even Allah SWT in the quran says one is better.

another question I get is this " If a father dies, why does the son get more than the daughter?" In the Quran, it says that the son is to receive double of what the daughter would get. HOW IS THIS FAIR??? Well I will tell you how it is fair. The Quaran also says that the son must care for all the women in his family until his sisters are married, and if the mother doesn't remarry it is the son's responsibility to care for her entirely, just as his father did. That means, any money that he received, he will likely not see a penny of it for himself after he cares for his sisters and mother. ALSO the money the daughter receives is her in its entirety. While the son is paying for her living expenses and food, the money she gets, she may spend on whatever she likes, it is hers and nobody can touch it. Now does that seem fair?

How about women in Islam that don't have jobs and slave away at home. Well, that is the woman's choice. A woman can either work, or stay at home and care for her children. Since it is the man's duty to provide for his family, the woman usually prefers to watch her kids grow, then to have them in daycare while she makes money. If she does decide to work however, any of the money she makes is hers to spend on whatever she likes, and she does not have to put a single penny of it towards the household.

Women in Islam are seen as more precious then diamonds and pears. We are held high. Is is US that carry life inside of us for 9 months, it is us that raise the children.

Allah (SWT) gives men and women equality or rights. We as women however are not the same as men. Men were made to be able to provide for a family, to be strong in times of need, to be the king of the home. But as history tells this story, No king can run a country without a right hand. No palace can stand without a pillar. We my sister, are the pillars for our men.

I am sorry for going on like this, May Allah guide you to the truth. Aameen.
:tti_sister:

SweetAmirah

More everyday!

I have only reverted a month ago, Mashallah I learn something new everyday!
as a canadian convert I get a lot of people asking me questions, so I must be armed with the proper knowledge Inshallah!

iislam4ever

Servant of Allah 247
i know nd these questions are on top of the list about women's rights in islam, ... i also try my best to learn something new about my religion...

dna1987

Muslim Guy
Salam alaikum SweetAmirah,

:D

You might have reverted only a month ago; but your post above shows the amount of research you did before you decided to revert. JazakAllah khayr for posting.

SweetAmirah

It flatters me when I receive comments like this, then I stop to think and really it is all from Allah SWT and all good I say is from him, and all bad I say is from me.

Subhanallah

The best offense is the best defense!

Salaam,

Your name says enough about you. Always equip yourself with knowledge. It is highly encouraged that Muslims should acquire all types of knowledge from any corner of the world. It is an obligation.

TTI has in-depth information on a lot of what you've posted. Inshallah you will find this community very resourceful and handy.

May Allah swt continue to bestow His Nur (light) upon you and guide your family & friends on the right path.

Sauda17

Assalamu'Alaykum

Jazakallah khair for sharing, you have clearly put alot of thought & effort in to it !

I believe those raised in a muslim household can also benefit from this

Congratulations on your reversion & look foward to reading more posts

hager

thx

first..
i'm sososo happy..cuz,,u revert to islam
second,
thx u for ur topic...it's really so nice thread...
u give me alottttttttttt of ideas..thx u again
Welcome to TTI

SweetAmirah

Jazakallah Khyer for being so understanding and nice.

I came here mainly to meet new sisters, If you are allowed please mail me your msn so we may speak Inshallah.

I am trying to surround myself with good muslimahs:hijabi:

I am about to post in another thread a poem I wrote to my father, but before that I will write the story of me telling my family inshallah!

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
Jazakallah Khyer for being so understanding and nice.

I came here mainly to meet new sisters, If you are allowed please mail me your msn so we may speak Inshallah.

I am trying to surround myself with good muslimahs:hijabi:

I am about to post in another thread a poem I wrote to my father, but before that I will write the story of me telling my family inshallah!

I look forward to reading it

Hollie<3Kamran

Hi,
in new to this website, im not a muslims yet but i will be converting really soon. iv met this person and i truly love him and he loves me also..just theres problems our family. i dont think mine will acept as i had a pakistani boyfriend for 3 yrs and he treated me rly bad and in the end he ad an arranged marriage and broke my heart. so my parents wont want to see me go through the heartach again.
his family are a typical asian family, his sisters have ad arranged marriages..... but what he tells me is that as long as im muslims they will accept me.... so i am converting to islam.
im doing it for my self as iv always been very intrested in the religion but i didnt know who to turn to for advice and now iv met him, hes really helpin me and guiding me well.
just need some advice
thanks
Hollie x

sal12

Mash'allah sister! u seem really dedicated to Islam. It's a great feeling when our eyes have opened up to the realty of life and of this world. You've clearly been guided masha'allah. Thanks so much for ur post, its educational. Keep it up!

Mairo

Maryama
I appreciate your post, sister. This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart as well. I actually find it more important to share this knowledge of women's rights with Muslims. I think as revert women, who as a result of growing up in the "West" have a great deal of access to acquiring knowledge and have a developed ability to learn, we have a big responsibility to inform people of women's rights in Islam. There are many muslim men and women in the world who have been miseducated in regards to them, or are simply ignorant of their rights, and as a result suffer from oppression.

May Allah guide us all and keep us protected on the straight path.

God bless