A new revert to Islam's experience in telling her family...

SweetAmirah

So I told my parents.
About reverting to Islam that is.

Well I sort of told them. What happened was my step sister was on msn, and my father was sitting beside her. She was one of the first people I told. She is agnostic but fully supports me in my decision.
She was the one that told my father. At first he thought it was a joke, then he thought I did it for a man.
No dear father I did it for me. But he cannot understand it. He thinks I will grow out of it.
NEWS FLASH DADDY! You will see me in Hijab one day. See the thing is, he is VERY VERY Racist and prejudice. I do not hold it against him.... He was raised by his parents who are the same. Inshallah every new generation of people will become more tolerant of others. He will not accept it for a long time. He thinks all Muslims are dirty. You know what? It's hard to blame him where there are so many people out there that call themselves Muslim but don't have a Muslim bone in their body! (Meaning they don't live Islamically, they live culturally.) Moving along... I told my father, but was even more scared to tell my mother, and my aunt whom she lives with. Why? Well because they are both born again Christians!! I was scared that they would try and pray demons out of me for accepting Islam. When my mother found out, she was in shock. She also thought I had done it for a man, and said she hoped I would grow out of it. Alhamdulilah she is not like my father, and actually listened to my reasoning. She was upset needless to say. My Aunt, who is the MOST religious person, was actually the one that was most accepting of it. She told my mom that " God works in mysterious ways, let her be" MASHALLAH!!! I have the support of the two most important people in my life!!!
So far I have told many people... one by one, my step sister, my sister, my cousin, my room mates, all of whom have been so supportive. I told many of my friends at school Mashallah. My extended family does not know, except for one Aunt, who basically told me she thought all Muslims are filth (my Dad's sister, see it runs in the family)
I am making new Muslim friends everyday and I feel truly blessed by Allah.

If you have any questions PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!!!! May Allah Bless you!

SweetAmirah

A Poem from Me to My Father...

You look at me like I’ve lost my mind,

And maybe you are disinclined.

Stuck on the branch, until I was ripe,

Don’t think I did it just for the hype.

There is no joke, there is no man,

There is only me, and my Iman (ee’man meaning faith)

I am your still your daughter

Nothing will change

No need to spray me with holy water.

I’m sorry dear daddy for making you glum

But you have to accept me, for what I’ve become

Nothing you say will change my mind,

So open your eyes and don’t be blind.

I need your love, now and forever

Because this is truly my endeavor.

If you should turn me away for the long run,

Never forget that our ties can never be undone.

For blood is thicker than water

And I will always be your daughter.

Dad, whatever you may think, whatever you may do, in the end I will ALWAYS be there for you.

Sauda17

Asalamu'Alaykum

:ma: What can i say you've left me speechless !!!

May Allah subhana wa ta'ala continue to guide you :hearts:

SweetAmirah

Aha, I see what you are saying, it was the sentiment behind what she said Alhamdulilah, accepting my decision.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

May Allaah aid you in your affairs with your family, keep you firm in your Islaam and grant you knowledge of the deen. It's not as easy move, my best friend took shahaadah and still hasn't told his parents. It takes courage to do that.

I pray that everything goes well for you, maa shaa Allaah I like the poem.

Was-salaam

kathrina

macha'Allah i like this poem and ur story im happy for u el hamdoulilla!
i have worse prob with telling it to parents..i live as Muslim for few months now el hamdoulillah but i don't have much power to tell it to parents they might think something changed but i still fear tell it them face to face, the most i fear my dud...i need more strength and inch'allah soon ill tell them :)

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
I suppose telling your parents/people you care about is the most difficult thing, its almost like you've found something better than everything they ever gave you. Thats a cool poem, I suppose your planning to give it to him at some point? God willing, his heart will soften towards Islaam and muslims in light of your conversion :)

It was nice reading your story

:wasalam:

tulipflower777

:salam2:
Mashallah!!! beautiful story and i love your poem sis, it touch my heart. :hearts:
Congratulation on your reversion. May Allah guide you , protect you wherever you are, May he bless you and open all the doors of success for you and to your family ameen!:tti_sister:

wassalam

Nazihah

Be A Stranger
Assalamualaikum,

MashaAllah.
Welcome to Islam! :)
I'm happy for you Sis.

May the blessings of Allah be upon you.
May Allah s.w.t strengthen our Eeman.
Ameen.

Munawar

Striving for Paradise
First of all, Congratulations on your Reversion.

May Allah (SWT) protect you from all evils and continue to guide you towards his good pleasure and Jannah which has been prepared for believing men and women. Ameen.

I can imagine that telling about the reversion to the family members is the most difficult thing to do. MashaAllah you have done that and hopefully they will accept it and even accept Islam after they have seen so many positive changes in you.

You are so right about Muslims who don't have a Muslim bone in their body. Hopefully it is people like you who will show to the world what a real Muslim/Muslimah look like. And when we will have many people like you who have pure heart and firm belief in Allah (SWT) the whole world will get the blessing of Allah (SWT). InshaAllah.

Continue to read about Islam and study Quran as much as possible.

And I read your poem and liked it very much !!!
:wasalam:

Abdul-Raheem

Signing Out.....

I don't think many people really appreciate the amount of courage it takes for a revert to break the news to their families. Sometimes it's easier than others, on occasions, family remembers soon follow into Islam alhamdullillah. Anyway Sister, may Allah make this transition as easy as possible for you and may you continue to enjoy the sweetness of iman (faith).

Stay strong and take care Dear Sister.

Wasalam

SweetAmirah

Jazakallah Khyer to you all for your kind words and Dua's... It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, telling my family, but anything I do, Allah gives me strength Alhamdulilah!!!

Mairo

Maryama
Asalaamu Aleikum,

Warm welcome to you, sister SweetAmirah. May Allah continue to guide you on the straight path and keep your faith strong. It is so encouraging to see more and more reverts to Islam with each passing day! Best wishes to you, I hope you will find some of the support you need here at TTI.

God bless

OnlyOne

Very nice poem, I liked it alot! InshaAllah Allah will make this easy for you. But remember:

Inna ma'al-'usri yusra (94:5)
Verily! WIth Everyhardship comes ease.

Remember, even if this is hard for you now, it will be come easier. And if it does not become easier, then you will only be rewarded for your efforts for you will see every good deed, even the size of an atom, on the Day of Judgment. May Allah reward you for your efforts and give you the best in this life and the hereafter. Ameen!

warda A

Sister
Very nice poem, I liked it alot! InshaAllah Allah will make this easy for you. But remember:

Inna ma'al-'usri yusra (94:5)
Verily! WIth Everyhardship comes ease.

that was said nicely
your poem is very touching and i hope your partenal family members will come out of their prejudice and see that you are happy with what you have chosen inshallah.
and you are welcomed into the muslim sisterhood, be brave.