A Muslim's Character and Behaviour

Abu Abdillah

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Muslim's Character and Behaviour

Islam is a true religion because it teaches a person everything including how to act and behave, how to sit and talk and how to care and share.

A Muslim is sure of himself both in this world and in the Akhirah (the Hereafter). He/she is always striving towards "Falaah" (success, prosperity) and freedom from anxiety and is not troubled with doubts and conflicts.

A Muslim family eats its meals together with Bismillah-ir Rahman-ir-Rahim and ends its meals together with Al-Hamdulillah. Everyone recites the Qur'an and prays at the appropriate times.

Most importantly the children respect their elders and listen to their parents.
Muslims should be good role models and should set a good example to the non-believers so that when they look at a Muslim's character and behaviour and see how great it is, they would want to be Muslims too. Muslims have to project the right image especially when they're a minority in countries such as UK, Canada and U.S.A.

They should be honest, truthful, trustworthy, modest, patient, tolerant, punctual, kind, generous, forgiving, brave and hard working. They should be good to people even if those people are not good to them. Allah has said in The Qur'an "Tolerate patiently what they (the unbeliever) say and part from them in a polite manner" (73:10).

Muslims should also practice forgiving people because Allah is always forgiving them. They should use the Noble Prophet Muhammad's :saw: example when the people of Taif threw stones at him and he forgave them.

Tawheed or belief in the Oneness of Allah helps the Muslim character a lot. Anyone who believes in Tawhid, surrenders himself/herself completely to the Will of Allah and becomes a true servant of Allah. Tawheed gives a person a lot of respect and confidence because he/she knows that Allah has Power over everything and he/she is in His loving care. It also makes a person humble and modest.

The Prophet :saw: has said "Modesty is part of faith" (Bukhari and Muslim). The person is never arrogant or rude because he/she knows that everything on earth belongs to Allah and he/she knows that everything one has is from Allah, so there's no reason to be proud and boastful.

Allah says in the Glorious Qur'an that Musa ('alayhissalam) advised his people: "...Seek help from Allah and be patient, the earth belongs to Allah. Anyone He wishes from among His servants shall inherit it..." (7:128).

The most important effect on the Muslim's character from Tawheed is that it makes a person to obey and observe Allah's Commands. The person knows that Allah is always watching him/her and one can't escape Allah's watchful eye even for a single moment. Tawheed produces strong determination, patience and perseverance.

Believing in Allah makes a person brave and courageous. He/she will not be afraid of death because the person knows that it is no one but Allah who will cause death at the appointed time.

So, unless the person disobeyed Allah's Commands he/she has nothing to worry about and can go on doing his or her duty without any fear.

You can think of this as a boat. A boat has a rudder, which guides the boat's movement. When the rudder is under control, the boat moves forward proudly over the waves, but if the rudder does not control the boat, it is tossed by every wave in the sea. It is the same thing with a person. When one surrenders oneself to Allah, one can face the problems of life without any fear. But if one does not surrender to Allah alone, one has to obey false gods like the fear of danger or the fear of hunger. Allah has said in the Noble Qur'an: "If Allah helps you, then none can overcome you and if He forsakes you, then who is there to help you after Him? And the believers should rely only on Allah" (3:160)

Luqman (alaihisallam) has been mentioned in the Qur'an as an intelligent and wise man. He told his son: "O my son! Do not associate anyone with Allah. Truly, polytheism is a tremendous wrong" (31:13). He also said: "O my son! Establish Salah and command the right and forbid the evil and bear patiently whatever may befall you, for this is firmness (of purpose) in (the conduct of) affairs. Do not turn your face away in disgust from people, nor walk arrogantly in the land. Surely, Allah does not love any arrogant boaster. Be moderate in your pace and lower your voice. Truly the harshest of all voices is the voice of the ass" (31:17, 18, 19).

Muslims should read The Noble Qur'an and Hadeeths about a Muslim's character and behaviour so that they could improve. Everyone makes mistakes but that does not mean that we can't improve ourselves. We should learn from our mistakes and improve. Muslims should help other Muslims by encouragement and not by exploiting their mistakes.

Also Another way of preserving the Muslims Character is if a Muslim should think of himself as a mirror for his brother.

“A believer is a mirror to his brother. A believer is a brother of a believer: he protects him against any danger and guards him from behind.”
(Related by Al Bukhari in Al Adab Al Mufrad and by Abu Dawood.)

Also If we were to reflect and contemplate on this short hadeeth how huge in meanings and benefits it has.

Like one looks at the mirror and notices blemishes etc.. iis the same way we are to treat our fellow Muslim brother/sister. We correct them in order for them to be upon Falaa (success) as we would do for our own selves to be be.

As in another Hadeeth the Prophet said: '' None of You truly believes until you wish for your brother what you wish for yourself.''

But How do we see Muslims behaving today.
  • Laughing at others
  • Defaming others
  • Insulting others with nicknames
  • Indulging in suspicion of others
  • Spying on others
  • Backbiting others
These all have been forbidden in Islam. Allah has Forbidden such acts. All can be summed up in 2 ayat's: (Surah al-Hijarat:11/12)

11.O you who believe! Let not a group scoff at another group, it may be that the latter are better than the former; nor let (some) women scoff at other women, it may be that the latter are better than the former, nor defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames. How bad is it, to insult one's brother after having Faith [i.e. to call your Muslim brother (a faithful believer) as: "O sinner", or "O wicked", etc.]. And whosoever does not repent, then such are indeed Zâlimûn (wrong-doers, etc.).

12. O you who believe! Avoid much suspicions, indeed some suspicions are sins. And spy not, neither backbite one another. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would hate it (so hate backbiting)[] . And fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is the One Who accepts repentance, Most Merciful.

We can continue making a list of benefits of these ayats and seems self-evident in a way, we all know that this such behaiviour is wrong defaming others, insulting others with nicknames, suspicion,Spying, backbiting others on and on and on...

But, actually avoiding them is a lot easier said than done.

How often do we put others down, talk about them behind their backs, or darkly suspect their motives or what they are really up to? A lot more often than we realize, in many cases.

This type of behavior is compared here to cannibalism (eating the flesh of one's dead brother). Just as we are repulsed by the idea of cannibalism, we should be repulsed by mistreating our brothers and sisters in these ways.

Thinking about it in this way may motivate us to take it more seriously and work harder to avoid it insha Allah.

Abu Hurairah (Rady Allahu Anhu) narrates that the Noble Prophet Muhammad said: "Let him who believes in Allah and the Last day, either speak good or keep silent, and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his neighbour, and let him who believes in Allah and the Last Day be generous to his guest (Bukhari and Muslim).

In another Hadith, Abu Hurairah narrates that the Noble Prophet Muhammad :saw: said: "Do not envy one another; do not inflate prices to one another; do not hate one another, do not turn away from one another; and do not undercut one another, but be brothers, O slaves of Allah. A Muslim is the brother of a Muslim: he neither oppresses him nor disgraces him, he neither lies to him nor does he hold him in contempt. Piety and righteousness is here - and he pointed to his breast three times. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother Muslim in contempt. The whole of a Muslim for another Muslim is inviolable; his blood, his property, and his honour (Muslim).

Also If we were to refelct and on ponder on these two Ayats:

"So have taqwaa (fear and obedience) of Allaah and reconcile the differences between yourselves." [Soorah al-Anfaal 8:1].

"Indeed the Believers are but brothers. Therefore reconcile the differences between your brothers, and fear Allaah so that you may receive mercy." [Soorah al-Hujuraat 49:10].

"So this is a knot which Allaah has bound the Believers together with, such that whenever a person is found possessing Eemaan (faith) in Allaah, His Angels, His Books, His Messengers and the Last Bay - whether in the eastern or western part of the world - then such a person becomes the brother of the Believers.

This brotherhood obligates that the Believers should love for that person that which they love for themselves, and hate for that person that which they hate for themselves. Therefore, the Prophet :saw: said - whilst ordering the brotherhood of eemaan (faith): "Do not envy one another. Do not inflate prices upon one another. Do not hate one another. Do not forsake one another. Do not under-cut one another. But be worshippers of Allaah and brothers.

The Muslim is the brother of another Muslim; he neither oppresses him, nor humiliates him, nor lies to him, nor holds him in contempt. And piety is right here - and he pointed to his chest three times.

It is enough evil for a person to hold his brother Muslim in contempt. The whole of a Muslim for another Muslim is sacred; his blood, his property and his honour."
[ Related by Muslim (no.2564), from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu 'anhu]

And he :saw: said: "The Believer to the Believer is like a solid structure, one part supporting the other." And he interlaced his fingers to demonstrate this.
[Related by al-Bukhaaree (no.481) and Muslim (no.2585), from Abu Hurayrah radiallaahu 'anhu.
]
Thus Allaah and His Messenger :saw: ordered that the rights of the Believers be fulfilled by each other, and that those matters which will bring about harmony, love and togetherness be carried out. All of this is to be done in order to further the rights that they have over one another.

So from such tights is that when fighting occurs between them - thereby causing their hearts to separate and to have hatred and to cut-off from each other - then the Believers should bring about reconciliation between their brothers and do that which will remove the enmity.

Then Allaah ordered taqwaa in general and made the bestowal of His Mercy the consequence of their having Taqwaa and their fulfilling the rights of the Believers.

So He said: "And have taqwaa of Allaah in order that you may receive mercy." Thus, if Allaah's Mercy is attained, then the good of this world and the Hereafter will also be attained." {Tayseerul-Kareemur-Rahmaan (7/133-134) of Shaykh as-Sa'dee.]

'Aaishah radiallaahu 'anhaa used to say, that when people abandoned acting upon this Aayah (verse): "When two parties of the Believers fight each other, then make reconciliation between them." [Soorah al-Hujuraat 49:9].

So when the Muslims began fighting each other, it was obligatory to reconcile them, as Allaah - the Most High - ordered. However, when they did not do this, then fitnah (trials and tribulations) spread, as did ignorance, and this is what caused the differences to continue.
[Related by Ibn Abil-'lzz in Sharhul-'Aqeedatit-Tahaawiyyah (2/777). Al-Bayhaqee related something similar to this in his Sunanul-Kubraa (8/172).]

Allaah's Messenger :saw: said: "Shall I not inform you of something that is greeter in degree than (optional) fasting, charity and Prayer?" They said: Indeed inform us. So he said: "It is reconciling the people. For indeed causing corruption between them is the shaver!"
[Saheeh: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no.2640) and Abu Daawood (no.4919), from Abud-Dardaa radiallaahu 'anhu. It was authentitated by al-Albaanee in Ghaayatul-Maraam (no.414).]

And he :saw: explained this shaving in another saying: "The disease of the people before you has overcome you, namely envy and hatred and it is the shaver. I do not say that it shaves-off the heir. Rather, it shaves-off the religion!" [Hasan: Related by at-Tirmidhee (no.2641), from az-Zubayr ibn al-'Awwaam radiallaahu 'anhu. It was authenticated by al-Albaanee in Saheeh Sunan at-Tirmidhee (no.2038).]

The more we help others, the better we will become as well because we mature through helping others. Islam shows how an ideal Muslim's character should be and we should act upon that so that we might save ourselves from Hell-fire and attain Paradise. Insha-Allah this is some advice firstly for myself and all those who read this insha-Allah

Wassalamu'Alaykum Wa rahmatullah

Your Brother in islam Abu Abdillah

rizzumd

Your brother
:salam2:

Jazak Allah for such a wonderful post Akhi.
May Allah help all muslims to improve their character and behavior. Ameen.

:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

Jazak Allah for this brother. I need reminding constantly to br a good Muslim. I think one of my weaknesses is judging my brothers or sisters for their imperfections when I am more imperfect than they are. I pray to Allah that H ehave mercy upon me and teach me to be kind and humble. :tti_sister:

Wasalaam.

~Sarah

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
this is a very important issue for today's ummah. we are supposed to live a life pleasing to Allah swt all the time and we should also represent islam all the time to those that do not know islam. everytime non muslims see muslims doing the haram, they perceive us as people of haram. we have to strive very hard to break the negative stereotypes against the muslims, and the best way for us to do that is to follow the quran and the sunnah of the prophet muhammad saaws. to remind people that terrorism is haram and to also remind people that islam is perfect but not every muslim is and that there is good and bad in every group. there is no doubt in my mind that when islam is portrayed properly, by true muslims; islam only becomes common sense. it is the only religion intended for the entire mankind and they'll see that when it's shown properly.

muslimahindeen

:salam2: Jazkumullah for the reminder............We as muslims should remember that Islam was not spread by the Sword but by the Actions and the Character of the Muslims...........We should treat each other well ,stay away from all things which creates disunity among the muslims,Love each other for the sake of Allah subhanahu wataala...........and greet each other with Salam and Smile do it all to earn the pleasure of Allah ......we are only here in this world for a temporary time so why should we waste this prescious time hating,fighting,backbiting each other live in peace Inshallah.

loverasool

السلام عليكم
jazak Allah for these precious advice that muslim need to be aware of and apply, these days we are in bad need for these characters, as in most of muslims they were replaced with bad manners and negative attitudes, may Allah helps us all to apply them properly.

UmmOf3

Salaam aleikum

JazakAllah khair for this... It is good, mashaAllah.

Could I translate parts of it? And ofcourse, mention your nick here, or your name, kunya or whatever?

I run a website about muslim women, but always on the lookout for articles about islam/muslims in general, ofcourse. There is so little available about islam in my language, so i need to translate things hehe.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:ma: This is definitely a truly beneficial post!! I really enjoyed reading this and learned a lot in the process. May Allah bless you Akhi!!

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah

:ma: This is great reminder, may Allah reward you. Know that this would be continue ajar for you for I make a copy of it to remind myself and InshaAllah to tell all that I can InshaAllah.

sky_012

Subhan Allah and Jazak Allah for this post

May Allah Reward u with success in this life and hereafter my sister

really great post

DOC_BRO

Asalam o ALaikum

MashaAllah excellent post very important to remember in our daily life.

JazakAllah.

amatullah sajida

it is a major issue

:mashallah:

this is very important nowadays, because many muslim are not sticking to the manners of islam.

a person who is actually a muslim may be praying and fasting and all, but when u look at actions it is a way too far from what it should. so u see here a kind of contradiction between what is going on and what the muslim should be in every aspect.

every muslim must put in mind that life isnt in parts but a muslims life is a whole and prayers as well as manners and morals are all as important for a person to be agood muslim.

we should remmeber that islam has reached far away countries such as china and far east during the first few centuries of islam through the muslim merchants who used to go over there and mostly through what people there saw of there manners and the way they treated them in honesty , mercy and such actions that made people there ask what islam is and what kind of rules that would make a person so good and descent.

it is islam.

thanks

AliIbanez

A Stranger in Dunyah
Salamualaikum

Thanks for the post. May Allah swt elevate our eeman that we may reach that level of becoming a really good muslim and muslimah

binte-AkhlaqAhmd

LoVe AlLaH aLlWaYs..
Assalam u Alykum....

JAZAAK ALLAHU KHYRAN.....it was really a great post.....MAY ALLAH MAKE US A TRUE ROLE MODLE FOR OTHERS.....INSHAALLAH (AMEEN)

ARMANI

:mashallah::mashallah:
All is very informative..
May Allah reward you with good in this life and the next for your hard work..
:shahadah:

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:mashallah:

this is very important nowadays, because many muslim are not sticking to the manners of islam.

a person who is actually a muslim may be praying and fasting and all, but when u look at actions it is a way too far from what it should. so u see here a kind of contradiction between what is going on and what the muslim should be in every aspect.

every muslim must put in mind that life isnt in parts but a muslims life is a whole and prayers as well as manners and morals are all as important for a person to be agood muslim.

we should remmeber that islam has reached far away countries such as china and far east during the first few centuries of islam through the muslim merchants who used to go over there and mostly through what people there saw of there manners and the way they treated them in honesty , mercy and such actions that made people there ask what islam is and what kind of rules that would make a person so good and descent.

it is islam.

thanks
I agree with u..