The 4 imaams

maryam12

:salam2:
i want some guidance regarding the 4 imaaams..Shuld we follow them??wat proof r there that we can follow them?plz can any one guide me concerning this? jazakallah..:astag: :wasalam:

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

The 4 Imaams : Imam Malik, Imam E-shafi3ie, Imam Ahmad, Imam aboe Hanifa are followers of our prophet Sallalahu 3alaihi wassalem. They have tried to make it easy to follow our prophet. But it remains they are not infallible. This means if they have said something which contradicts the sunna, we are not allowed to follow this contradiction.

And also the 4 Imaams said clearly: " If i said something which contradicts the sunna don't follow what i said but follow the sunna"

It's not obligatory to follow one of them. Allah says clearly we have to follow our prophet Muhammad Sallalahu 3alaihi wassalem ( keep this in mind).

But there are people who say:" It's obligatory to stick to one of the imaams"

I say: " Hatu Borhanakum in kuntum sadiQien" ( My translation) "Come with your evidence if you really speak the truth"

Their evidence is: "If you take from every Imaam, you take only the mistakes so you will turn to be a ZindieQ, because you are not a scholar"

I say: " There are many scholars like scheich el Othaimeen, Scheich bin baaz, Scheich el albanie, Scheick abdel aziez el a- scheich, scheich Muqbil, scheich el Fauzaan, Scheich Obeid el Jabirie etcc etcc... among the scholars"

who will give you understanding of the sunna and they know the four Imaams more than you. If you read the books of the four imaams i don't think you will be more knowledgeable than this scholars."

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabaraktuh,

Imad

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Plz take note that imam Nawawi (RA) was also one of the imam in shafii school.. It is very unlikely that they make mistakes ... I kind of read that imam shafii(RA) check 40 times something before implementing it...

The 4 imams sort of translate the quran and hadith for we muslims..So that people do not have to interpret the quran and hadith on their own..
It is extremely imoportant not to translate the hadith and quran on our own because..some hadith you cannot translate it literally.

My advise for u is to follow them

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabaraktuh,

Like i said " Come with your evidence if you really speak the truth"

there are no evidences in the article which you have posted dear brother4ever. Its all going about following desires. Who says the truth seeker want to follow his desires.

If someone who wants to follow his desires, he is able to do that without the 4 imams. Like i said there are scholars who are trustworthy who are not following their desires. If someone of you want an answer he is able to go back to this trustworthy scholars. They know the imaams beter than you and me.

Dear brother In the article are things mentioned i don't agree with. Insha Allah i will mention some of the points.

Each Imaam has based his Madhab on certain principles and on the basis of these principles were the rulings issued. By picking and choosing from these rulings, one would inevitably end up contradicting himself in the principles. An example to illustrate it to you in our daily lives would be, American pronounce the last letter of the alphabet as 'zee', while the British pronounce it as 'Zead'. This is a principle and pronounciation of words is based on this principle, this zebra is pronounced 'Zeebra' by Americans and Zebra by the British. If a person pronounced the letter as Zead but Zebra as Zeebra, it would be pointed out to him that what you are doing is unacceptable. Similar is the case with regard to picking and choosing between Madhabs.

No my dear brother it's not similar. I don't agree with this similarity. I don'want to go in detail and explain. The one who want to follow the sunna of our prophet is not someone who want to follow his desires.

Insha Allah i will Allah wants i will give you more information.

Read carefully what i have written in my first post.

Wassalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Imad

Imitation (taqleed), following the evidence (daleel) – and was Ibn Hazm a Hanbali?

Question: How can a person not make taqleed and still at the same time follow the teachings of one of the imams hanafi, maaliki, shaafi and ahmad bin hanbal(may allah(s.w) have mercy on them all). i am asking this because after reading a summary of the biography of bin baaz( may allah(s.w) have mercy on him)that he followed the school of ahmad bin hanbal(may allah(s.w) have mercy on him) but didnt do taqleed. please explain this to me because im confused .

Answer :
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

The followers of the madhhabs are not all the same. Some of them are mujtahids within their madhhab, and some are followers (muqallids) who do not go against their madhhabs in any regard.

Al-Buwayti, al-Muzani, al-Nawawi and Ibn Hajr were followers of Imam al-Shaafa’i, but they were also mujtahids in their own right and differed with their imam when they had evidence. Similarly Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr was a Maaliki but he differed with Maalik if the correct view was held by someone else. The same may be said of the Hanafi imams such as Abu Yoosuf and Muhammad al-Shaybaani, and the Hanbali imams such as Ibn Qudaamah, Ibn Muflih and others.

The fact that a student studied with a madhhab does not mean that he cannot go beyond it if he finds sound evidence elsewhere; the only one who stubbornly clings to a particular madhhab (regardless of the evidence) is one who lacking in religious commitment and intellect, or he is doing that because of partisan attachment to his madhhab.

The advice of the leading imams is that students should acquire knowledge from where they acquired it, and they should ignore the words of their imams if they go against the hadeeth of the Prophet SAWS (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Abu Haneefah said: “This is my opinion, but if there comes someone whose opinion is better than mine, then accept that.” Maalik said: “I am only human, I may be right or I may be wrong, so measure my words by the Qur’aan and Sunnah.” Al-Shaafa’i said: “If the hadeeth is saheeh, then ignore my words. If you see well established evidence, then this is my view.” Imam Ahmad said: “Do not follow me blindly, and do not follow Maalik or al-Shaafa’i or al-Thawri blindly. Learn as we have learned.” And he said, “Do not follow men blindly with regard to your religion, for they can never be safe from error.”

No one has the right to follow an imam blindly and never accept anything but his words. Rather what he must do is accept that which is in accordance with the truth, whether it is from his imam or anyone else.

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said:

No one has to blindly follow any particular man in all that he enjoins or forbids or recommends, apart from the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Muslims should always refer their questions to the Muslim scholars, following this one sometimes and that one sometimes. If the follower decides to follow the view of an imam with regard to a particular matter which he thinks is better for his religious commitment or is more correct etc, that is permissible according to the majority of Muslim scholars, and neither Abu Haneefah, Maalik, al-Shaafa’i or Ahmad said that this was forbidden.

Majmoo’ al-Fataawa, 23/382.

Imad

Question:

What is the ruling on following one of the four madhhabs in all cases and situations?

The Committee replied:

Praise be to Allaah, and blessings and peace be upon His Messenger and his family and companions.

Firstly: the four madhhabs are named after the four imams – Imam Abu Haneefah, Imam Maalik, Imam al-Shaafa’i and Imam Ahmad.

Secondly: These imams learned fiqh (jurisprudence) from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and they are mujtahideen in this regard. The mujtahid either gets it right, in which case he will have two rewards, the reward for his ijtihaad and the reward for getting it right, or he will get it wrong, in which case he will be rewarded for his ijtihaad and will be forgiven for his mistake.

Thirdly: the one who is able to derive rulings from the Qur’aan and Sunnah should take from them like those who came before him; it is not right for him to follow blindly (taqleed) when he is believes that the truth lies elsewhere. Rather he should follow that which he believes is the truth. It is permissible for him to follow in matters in which he is unable to come to a conclusion based on the Qur’aan and Sunnah and he needs guidelines concerning a particular issue.

Fourthly: Whoever does not have the ability to derive rulings himself is permitted to follow one whom he feels comfortable following. If he is not comfortable following him then he should ask until he finds someone with whom he is comfortable.

Fifthly: From the above it is clear that we should not follow their opinions in all situations and at all times, because they may make mistakes, but we may follow their views that are sound and are based on the evidence.

Fataawa al-Lajnah, 5/28

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Bro imad like i say... we are not shaykh so we follow how the shaykh interpret the quran and sunna, right..So it is difficult to know whether the 4 imam is wrong on some aspects. We have to respect the imam opinion differences...It is advisable to follow them...

i prefer to follow early scholars...

wassalam

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

This topic has been asked before.

We follow the Quran and the Sunnah of our Prophet :saw: and we get our understanding from the Early generation of Muslims, the Sahaba, the Tabieen, and the Atba' Tabieen !!

--------------------------------------
Which Madhab should I follow?
--------------------------------------

We must stick to the Quran and Sunnah at all times for our Islam. Every aspect of our Deen (religion) can be traced back to these sources. From the way we raise our hands in prayer, the amount we give in inheritance, through to the dua we read when entering the Masjid.

The correct way is to utilise ALL the Scholars not just one. And if their guidance or advice conflicts with something that you know evidently is true, i.e someone shows you an authentic hadith. Then you must follow that authentic hadith and not be stuck on what an Imam has said.

Unfortunately, there are some Muslims who deny the hadith and stick to what they were doing before because an Imam taught them so. This is wrong and is called Taqleed (blind following). We only follow the Prophet:saw:. And one must keep in mind, that all Four of the great Imams warned Muslims not to blindly follow them but to take the Quran and Hadith as evidence.

This topic has been discussed before:

Whats the difference in the four schools?

The Sayings of the Four Imams on blind-following (Taqlid)

Guidelines for Following Madhhabs

I follow the Madhab of RasulAllah :saw: and his companions.

Islam is very simple,

We follow the Quran and the Sunnah with the understanding of the first three generations, this is in accordance to what Allah and his Prophet :saw: taught us.

the Prophet :saw: Said:

"Hold on to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs after me. Hold on to it firmly. And beware of heretical innovations (Bid'ah) because each heretical innovation (Bid'ah) is a falsehood and each false- hood is a deviation from the right path." (Reported by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi who said it is a good and sound hadith, and Ibn Majah)

The Prophet :saw: also said:

"The example of the believers in their affection and compassion and benevolence is like the body; If one part of it becomes ill the whole body comes to its aid with fever and
sleeplessness." (Reported by al-Bukhari and Muslim)

"A group of my 'Ummah will continue to follow the truth prominently. Whoever betrays them or opposes them can never harm them to the Day of Judgment." (al-Bukhari and Muslim)

We Must Stick to the Quran and Sunnah with understanding of the pious predecessors.

And Allâh - the Most Perfect - says:
“Whosoever contends with the Messenger - even after guidance has been clearly conveyed to him - and follows a path other than that of the Believers, We shall leave him in the path he has chosen and land him in Hell, what an evil destination.”

This has been emphasised many times in the Hadith:

The Messenger of Allaah said: "I counsel you to have Taqwaa of Allaah and to hear and obey, even if an Abyssinian slave were to command you. For, verily, whoever amongst you lives (to grown old), he will see many differences. So stick to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the rightly guided khaleefahs. Cling tightly onto it and hold onto it with your molar teeth. And beware of newly invented matters. For, indeed, every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is a thing that leads astray, and everything that leads astray is in the Hellfire." [Abu Dawood ]

The Salaf were the best of people:

’Âishah - radiallâhu ’anhâ - said: A man came to the Prophet sallallâhu ’alayhi wa sallam and said: Who is the most excellent of mankind? So the Prophet sallallâhu ’alayhi wa sallam said: “ The generation of those that I am in, then the second, then the third.” . Related by Muslim (no.2536).

The Prophet :saw: said:
"The best of people are my generation, then the second, then the third, then there will come a people, having no good in them." [[related by Ibn Mas'ood]

We must call ourselves Muslims,

Allah says in the Quran:

And strive hard in Allâh's Cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all your efforts that His Name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey His Message of Islâmic Monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion, Islâm), and has not laid upon you in religion any hardship, it is the religion of your father Ibrahim (Abraham) (Islâmic Monotheism). It is He (Allâh) Who has named you Muslims both before and in this (the Qur'ân), that the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) may be a witness over you and you be witnesses over mankind! So perform As­Salât (Iqamat-as-Salât), give Zakât and hold fast to Allâh [i.e. have confidence in Allâh, and depend upon Him in all your affairs] He is your Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.), what an Excellent Maula (Patron, Lord, etc.) and what an Excellent Helper! [Surah Al-Imrân 3:78]

We Are Sunni, meaning people of the Sunnah. But we can also say that we are upon the manhaj or methedology of the salaf. Salaf simply means the pious predecessors.

This can further bring distinction to make sure people understand that we are not some Sufi or person who inclines to modernism or extremism, but someone who acknowledges the Islam of the Quran and sunnah and that of the Salaf.

At the time of the Prophet :saw: the truth was apparent. The Prophet :saw: was alive and hence the Muslims only needed to call themselves Muslims.

This name is true today of course and shall be forever. And it is the one we use.

There is nothing wrong with a person saying that they are upon way of the Salaf. Likewise a person can say he is an Atharee, meaning he belongs to the people who like the athaar of hadeeth. Or Ahlul Hadith, the people of Hadeeth. It is the same thing.

Imaam adh-Dhahabee (d.748H rahimahullaah) - said: "It is authentically related from ad-Daaraqutnee that he said: There is nothing more despised by me than 'irnul-kalaam (innovated speech and rhetorics). I say: No person should ever enter into 'ilmul-kalaam, nor argumentation. Rather, he should be a follower of the Salaf." [Siyar 16/457]

Abu Haneefah (d. 150H rahimahullaah) said: "Adhere to the athar (narration) and the tareeqah (way/following) of the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) and beware of newly invented matters for all of it is innovation" [Reported by As-Suyootee in Sawn al Mantaq wal-Kalaam p.32]

Also Imâm al-Awzâ’î (d.157H) - rahimahullâh - said: “Patiently restrict yourself to the Sunnah and pause where the people paused, say what they said and avoid what they avoided. Take to the path of your Salafus-Sâlih, for indeed, what was sufficient for them, is sufficient for you.” r elated by Imâm al-Âjurrî in ash-Sharî’ah (p.58) and also al-Bayhaqî in Madhkal ilas-Sunan (no.233)

Ibn Taymiyyah (d.728H rahimahullaah) says: "There is no blame on the one who manifests/proclaims the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf, who attaches himself to it and refers to it. Rather, it is obligatory to accept that from him by unanimous agreement (Ittifaaq), because the way (madhdhab) of the Salaf is nothing but the Truth (Haqq)." [From Majmoo al-Fataawaa, 4:149.]

The salaf are those who have gone before us in the past.

Our Madhab or way is that of the Salaf. It is not permissible for anyone to call himself a person of the Salaf. We aspire to be among them. Nor is it a Sect.

A person can not say he is from the Salaf or that he is rightly guided. Only Allah knows this. We are weary of any arrogance and must always remain humble. "Everyone of the tribe of Adam sins. And the best of the sinners are the ones who (constantly) make repentance." Surat-ul-Ana'aam [3:153].

We try to live Islam just as the Prophet:saw: and his companions did. So we value the Quran and the Authentic hadith.

Abûl-Hasan al-Ash’arî (d.324H) declared:
“Our saying which we hold and take as our Dîn is: Clinging to the Book of Allâh, our Lord - the Mighty and Majestic - and to the Sunnah of our Prophet Muhammad :saw: and what is reported from the Sabâbah, the Tâbi’în and the Imâms of Hadîth. This is what we cling on to, and also that to which Abû ’Abdullâh Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Hanbal - may Allâh enlighten his face, raise up his rank and grant him a huge reward - used to say, distancing ourselves from those who oppose his saying. Since he was the noble and complete Imâm, by whom Allâh made the truth clear, and removed the misguidance, and made the minhâj (methodology) clear, and through whom Allâh annihilated the innovation of the Innovators, the deviation of the deviant and the doubts of the doubters. So may Allâh have mercy upon him, the foremost Imâm.”

As Muslims we should not be tied down to any personality, group etc, but we take that which is mentioned in the clear texts of Islam

------------------------------------------------------------

Wasalam

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabrakatuh my dear brother Alkathiri,

What i want to say my dear brother is: " It's not obligatory to follow 1 madhab and to stick to this madhab"

There are some people who say: " It's obligatory"

Where is the evidence for it?

Imaams make mistakes, the one we have to follow is our prophet. The 4 imaams said clearly we make mistakes, because we are humanbeings. They said clearly follow the sunna . They said clearly don't follow my opinion if it contradict the sunna and The Quraan.

Some of this scholars may not have known of daleel whilst others did. They are trustworthy. They are mujtahidien.

So it is difficult to know whether the 4 imam is wrong on some aspects.

How is it difficulled to know who is wrong or not?

i said:" There are trustworthy scholars who know the 4 imaam better than me or you "

Also like i posted before: "It's permissible to follow a madhab, but not blind"

You will make the same mistakes which the imaams have made. The problem is you didn't listen because the imaams said clearly we may make mistakes"

My dear brothers and sisters you have to gain knowledge. Ask scholars insha Allah.

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wabrakatuh my dear brother Alkathiri,

What i want to say my dear brother is: " It's not obligatory to follow 1 madhab and to stick to this madhab"

There are some people who say: " It's obligatory"

Where is the evidence for it?

Imaams make mistakes, the one we have to follow is our prophet. The 4 imaams said clearly we make mistakes, because we are humanbeings. They said clearly follow the sunna . They said clearly don't follow my opinion if it contradict the sunna and The Quraan.

Some of this scholars may not have known of daleel whilst others did. They are trustworthy. They are mujtahidien.

How is it difficulled to know who is wrong or not?

i said:" There are trustworthy scholars who know the 4 imaam better than me or you "

:salam2: warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Even the salafis follow what the shaykh say..
Are u saying the salafi shaykh cannot be wrong...

Yes people tell me follow what the prophet say... i know ...that is what we are commanded... follow the quran and sunna

But we cannot interpret it on our own... Trust me on this...
We need the imams... they came way, before the contemporary salafi shaykh..And we should follow what the majority follow..:SMILY286:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
:salam2: warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Even the salafis follow what the shaykh say..
Are u saying the salafi shaykh cannot be wrong...

Yes people tell me follow what the prophet say... i know ...that is what we are commanded... follow the quran and sunna

But we cannot interpret it on our own... Trust me on this...
We need the imams... they came way, before the contemporary salafi shaykh..And we should follow what the majority follow..:SMILY286:

PLease Read and understand Hadith first and foremost before commenting.

Every Muslim should be following the understanding of the early generation of Muslims (the Salaf Salih). Salafi is not a sect, it is nothing new. It only means the Pious predecessors. And the evidence been given in the initial post for that. Its the duty of all Muslims to follow the Quran, the Sunnah upon understanding of the Salaf. and yes, the Salaf includes Imam Ahmad, Imam Malik, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi'i, but it is not Limited to them!! THere are many great scholars and Imams of that time, and there are also things that have GREATER value. That is the Quran, the Authentic Hadith of the Prophet:saw: and the sayings of the Sahabah and the Tabi'een.

Who are the Salaf (Pious Predecessors) ?
The Prophet :saw: said:
"The best of people are my generation, then the second, then the third, then there will come a people, having no good in them." [[related by Ibn Mas'ood]

The Prophet :saw: said
"Hold on to my Sunnah and the Sunnah of the Rightly Guided Caliphs after me. Hold on to it firmly. And beware of heretical innovations (Bid'ah) because each heretical innovation (Bid'ah) is a falsehood and each false- hood is a deviation from the right path." (Reported by Ahmad Ibn Hanbal Abu Dawud, at-Tirmidhi who said it is a good and sound hadith, and Ibn Majah)

nowhere does it say cling onto ONE of FOUR Imams.
Abûl-Hasan al-Ash’arî (d.324H) declared:
“Our saying which we hold and take as our Dîn is: Clinging to the Book of Allâh, our Lord - the Mighty and Majestic - and to the Sunnah of our Prophet Muhammad :saw: and what is reported from the Sabâbah, the Tâbi’în and the Imâms of Hadîth. This is what we cling on to, and also that to which Abû ’Abdullâh Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn Hanbal - may Allâh enlighten his face, raise up his rank and grant him a huge reward - used to say, distancing ourselves from those who oppose his saying. Since he was the noble and complete Imâm, by whom Allâh made the truth clear, and removed the misguidance, and made the minhâj (methodology) clear, and through whom Allâh annihilated the innovation of the Innovators, the deviation of the deviant and the doubts of the doubters. So may Allâh have mercy upon him, the foremost Imâm.”

As for the idea about Following the Majority, this goes against both the Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet :saw:. It is incorrect to say we follow the majority. If the majority are people who do Shirk and Bidah we copy them? No, astaghfirullah we do not do that.

please read:
The Majority is not a Proof that something is Correct

wasalam

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Yes bro, but did the hadith say follow the contemporary salafi... u tell me..??
So follow the quran and sunna translated by the mazhab...that simple...super simple...to understand..

Most of the salafi book i read are from contemporary salafi...not the sahaba...

Do u agree with me we need shaykh to interpret the quran and sunna...?
Okay so u agree.. Than which shaykh should we follow... If imam shafii was wrong why didnt Imam Nawawi( RA to both) , change his opinion..

All im asking from u is to respect their opinion... can?

We do not know who is correct or wrong....only Allah knows...
We should hold the sunna and quran tightly reject any new things...

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Ina lilahi wa-ina ileihi raji3oen.

Where did i said a salafi scholar cannot make mistakes?

I never said we have to follow someone blindly. The one we have to follow blindly is our prophet. Every scholar his opinion can be accepted or rejected. Like we know imam Malik was a big scholar in Medina. When he was in the mosque of our prophet he said: " Anyone’s statements can be accepted or rejected save for the one who is buried there [and he pointed to the grave of the Prophet]. Rather, what they say must be verified and authenticated in light of the Quran and Sunnah."

And many of the words of the 4 Imams have been verified. Like i said before Jazakallahu gairan is: " Some of this scholars may not have known of daleel whilst others did"

Why do you think they said: " Don't follow me when my opinion contradicts the sunna" ?

Did i say interpret by your own?

You are not able to interpret by your own. I don't think you have the knowledge to do this. That's why i want you to gain knowledge. There are trustworthy scholars ask them. They will make clear for you the differences between the madahib. Gain knowledge from differend scholars if you are able. But don't say it's obligatory to follow one person or madhab.

they came way, before the contemporary salafi shaykh..And we should follow what the majority follow..

What do the contemporary salafi Shayks follow?

Does The majority says: " It's obligatory to follow blindly one Imaam"

Who are the majority. Do you mean Majority of the scholars ?

Subhanallah i made clear the scholars said clearly: "

Abu Haneefah said: “This is my opinion, but if there comes someone whose opinion is better than mine, then accept that.” Maalik said: “I am only human, I may be right or I may be wrong, so measure my words by the Qur’aan and Sunnah.” Al-Shaafa’i said: “If the hadeeth is saheeh, then ignore my words. If you see well established evidence, then this is my view.” Imam Ahmad said: “Do not follow me blindly, and do not follow Maalik or al-Shaafa’i or al-Thawri blindly. Learn as we have learned.” And he said, “Do not follow men blindly with regard to your religion, for they can never be safe from error.”

may Allah give us more knowledge

Take care my brother take care

Imad

Imad

Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh My dear brother al kathiri,

You have to understand we respect the opinion of the imaams. The imaams themselfs said if my opinion contradicts the suna "reject my opinion. Why don't you want to listen?

If you reject their Opinion when it contradicts the sunna , you are doing what they said. We respect their opinion my dear brother, but do we have to follow them blindly? And they also said clearly don't follow me blindly. Read please what they have said.

Please brother why are you not listening? Do you read what we have written?

Thank you brother

Wassalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

The true "contemporary Scholars" that you talk about, do not just happen to give their own opinions, but base it on the Quran and Sunnah and they utilise the understanding of the Pious predecessors, rather than giving their own "understanding". - This means there is no "new" explanation of the Quran or Hadith etc, it has already been done and is available in the many books of the pious predecessors. And they themselves took their understanding from the Atba' Tabieen, the Tabi'een, the Sahaba and so forth to the Messenger :saw:

Islam is based on referring back to the Quran and Sunnah with understanding of the pious predecessors. This is duty for all Muslims, whether they were alive today or 1000 years ago. Obviously, the Sahaba were alive at time of the Prophet:saw: and got their understanding of Islam directly from him :saw: . However, the Prophet :saw: himself gave much advice to the Muslims about clinging to the early generation of Muslims for understanding of Islam.

When people stop doing that, we get things like extremism, modernism and other corruptions to our perfect religion of Islam, and thuse there appear the various sects etc. - However, Islam itself will never change and there will always be the Quran and the Sunnah for us to cling on to, even when the true Scholars and believers are few in number, as is the case today unforunately.

wasalam.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Assalmoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh My dear brother al kathiri,

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

My bro in islam.. i love u as much as u love me... u got to understand...if imam shafii was wrong in his saying why did imam Nawawi did not change the opinion of Imam shafii...( RA to both of them)

It is difficult for me to say im taqlid because... im not clever in islamic knowledge... There is no doubt that u are more clever and pious than me but i hope u understand... that frm what i read people have been following mazhab until someone say we cannot taqlid

U know that long after imam shafii(RA) died, i think no one said about taqlid until Shaykh Albanii...

I dont think i say following mazhab is obligatory
( or whether it is obligatory because im not a shaykh)... but it is strongly advisable to do so... :)

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

My bro in islam.. i love u as much as u love me... u got to understand...if imam shafii was wrong in his saying why did imam Nawawi did not change the opinion of Imam shafii...( RA to both of them)

It is difficult for me to say im taqlid because... im not clever in islamic knowledge... There is no doubt that u are more clever and pious than me but i hope u understand... that frm what i read people have been following mazhab until someone say we cannot taqlid

U know that long after imam shafii(RA) died, i think no one said about taqlid until Shaykh Albanii...

I dont think i say following mazhab is obligatory
( or whether it is obligatory because im not a shaykh)... but it is strongly advisable to do so... :)

Assalamu alaykum, this is not correct, there were countless Shaykhs and Scholars who talked about this subject including the four Imams themselves. There have already been quotes in this thread with regards to that.

There were many students of the Four Imams who went against some of the rulings of their teachers, based on the Hadith. They did not blind follow, etc.

We look at the Example of the Sahaba.. Abdullah ibn umar (RA).

Even against their fathers and learned men, as Tahaawi in Sharh Ma'aani al-Aathaar (1/372) & Abu Ya'laa in his Musnad (3/1317) have related, with an isnaad of trustworthy men, from Saalim ibn 'Abdullaah ibn 'Umar, who said:

"I was sitting with Ibn 'Umar (radi Allaahu 'anhu) in the mosque once, when a man from the people of Syria came to him and asked him about continuing the 'Umrah onto the Hajj (known as Hajj Tamattu'). Ibn 'Umar replied, 'It is a good and beautiful thing.' The man said, 'But your father (i.e. 'Umar ibn al-Khattaab) used to forbid it!' So he said, 'Woe to you! If my father used to forbid something which the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) practised and commanded, would you accept my father's view, or the order of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) ?' He replied, 'The order of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam).' He said, 'So go away from me.' Ahmad (no. 5700) related similarly, as did Tirmidhi (2/82) and declared it saheeh.

Also, Ibn 'Asaakir (7/51/1) related from Ibn Abi Dhi'b, who said: "Sa'd ibn Ibraaheem (i.e. the son of 'Abdur Rahmaan ibn 'Awf) passed judgment on a man on the basis of the opinion of Rabee'ah ibn Abu 'Abdur Rahmaan, so I informed him of the saying of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) which was contradictory to the judgment. Sa'd said to Rabee'ah, 'We have Ibn Abi Dhi'b, whom I regard to be reliable, narrating from the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) contrary to what I ruled.' Rabee'ah said to him, 'You have made your effort, and your judgment has been passed.' Sa'd said, 'Most amazing! I enforce the decree of Sa'd, and not the decree of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)! No, I shall withdraw the decree of Sa'd, son of the mother of Sa'd, and enforce the decree of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam).' So Sa'd called for the written decree, tore it up and gave a new verdict."

Imam Abu Hanifa said:

"When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab."

"When a hadeeth contrary to the Madhhab is found to be saheeh, one should act on the hadeeth, and make that his madhhab. Acting on the hadeeth will not invalidate the follower's being a Hanafi, for it is authentically reported that Abu Haneefah said, 'When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab', and this has been related by Imaam Ibn 'Abdul Barr from Abu Haneefah and from other imaams."

This is part of the completeness of the knowledge and piety of the Imaams, for they indicated by saying this that they were not versed in the whole of the Sunnah, and Imaam Shaafi'i has elucidated this thoroughly (see later). It would happen that they would contradict a sunnah because they were unaware of it, so they commanded us to stick to the Sunnah and regard it as part of their Madhhab. May Allaah shower His mercy on them all.

"It is not permitted [Ar.: halaal] for anyone to accept our views if they do not know from where we got them."

Ibn 'Abdul Barr in Al-Intiqaa' fi Fadaa'il ath-Thalaathah al- A'immah al-Fuqahaa' (p. 145), Ibn al-Qayyim in I'laam al- Mooqi'een (2/309), Ibn 'Aabideen in his Footnotes on Al-Bahr ar-Raa'iq (6/293) and in Rasm al-Mufti (pp. 29,32) & Sha'raani in Al-Meezaan (1/55) with the second narration. The last narration was collected by 'Abbaas ad-Dawri in At- Taareekh by Ibn Ma'een (6/77/1) with a saheeh sanad on the authority of Zafar, the student of Imaam Abu Haneefah. Similar narrations exist on the authority of Abu Haneefah's companions Zafar, Abu Yoosuf and 'Aafiyah ibn Yazeed; cf. Eeqaaz (p. 52). Ibn al-Qayyim firmly certified its authenticity on the authority of Abu Yoosuf in I'laam al-Mooqi'een (2/344). The addition to the second narration is referenced by the editor of Eeqaaz (p. 65) to Ibn 'Abdul Barr, Ibn al-Qayyim and others. If this is what they say of someone who does not know their evidence, what would be their response to one who knows that the evidence contradicts their saying, but still gives verdicts opposed to the evidence?! Therefore, reflect on this saying, for it alone is enough to smash blind following of opinion; that is why one of the muqallid shaikhs, when I criticised his giving a verdict using Abu Haneefah's words without knowing the evidence, refused to believe that it was a saying of Abu Haneefah!

Imam Shafi'i said:

"The sunnahs of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) reach, as well as escape from, every one of us. So whenever I voice my opinion, or formulate a principle, where something contrary to my view exists on the authority of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then the correct view is what the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has said, and it is my view."

"The Muslims are unanimously agreed that if a sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is made clear to someone, it is not permitted [Ar.: halaal] for him to leave it for the saying of anyone else." [Ibn al-Qayyim (2/361) & Fulaani (p. 68)]

Imam Shafi'i also said:
"If you find in my writings something different to the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), then speak on the basis of the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam), and leave what I have said."

In one narration: "... then follow it (the Sunnah), and do not look sideways at anyone else's saying."

"When a hadeeth is found to be saheeh, then that is my madhhab."

Imam Malik said: "Truly I am only a mortal: I make mistakes (sometimes) and I am correct (sometimes). Therefore, look into my opinions: all that agrees with the Book and the Sunnah, accept it; and all that does not agree with the Book and the Sunnah, ignore it."

"Everyone after the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) will have his sayings accepted and rejected - not so the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam)."

Ibn Wahb said: "I heard Maalik being asked about cleaning between the toes during ablution. He said, 'The people do not have to do that.' I did not approach him until the crowd had lessened, when I said to him, 'We know of a sunnah about that.' He said, 'What is that ?' I said, 'Laith ibn Sa'd, Ibn Lahee'ah and 'Amr ibn al-Haarith narrated to us from Yazeed ibn 'Amr al-Ma'aafiri from Abu 'Abdur-Rahman al-Hubuli from Mustawrid ibn Shaddaad al-Qurashi who said, 'I saw the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) rubbing between his toes with his little finger.' He said, 'This hadeeth is sound; I had not heard of it at all until now.' Afterwards, I heard him being asked about the same thing, on which he ordered cleaning between the toes."

Please see following:

Ijtihâd and Taqlîd By Shaykh Muhammad ibn Sâlih al-’Uthaymîn

With regards to the thread about Shaykh Albani writing about the Tapes and Books that are correct, I did not provide an alternative explanation, it just seemed that those replying to the thread did not understand it !!

People assumed that Shaykh Albani (rahimahullah) Said that it is OK to sit and learn with ahlul-bidah. Rather, all the shaykh said was that if there is a book which doesnt have mistakes in it, or a tape with no mistakes in it, its Ok to read.

wasalam

Assaalik

Assalaamu 'alaikum

Imam Shafi’i stipulated as the requirements of the mujtahid:

لا يحلّ لأحد أن يفتي في دين الله إلا رجلا عارف بكتاب الله بناسخه ومنسوخه ومحكمه ومتشابهه وتأويله وتنزيله ومكيه ومدنيه وما أريد به, ويكون بعد ذلك بصير بحديث رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم وبالناسخ والمنسوخ ويعرف من الحديث ما عرف من القرآن, ويكون بصيرا باللغة بصيرا بالشعر وما يحتاج إليه للسنة القرآن, ويستعمل هذا مع الإنصاف, ويكون بعد هذا مشرفا على اختلاف أهل الأمصار وتكون له قريحة بعد هذا, فإذا كان هذا فله أن يتكلم ويفتي في الحلال والحرام, وإذا لم يكن هكذا, فليس له أن يفتي.

It is not permitted for anyone to give fatwa in the religion of Allah except a man who knows the Book of Allah, what is abrogated of it and what abrogates it, and what is unambiguous and clear and what is ambiguous and unclear, and what is has an explanation other than its literal meaning, and what the circumstances surrounding the revelation of the individual ayats, what was revealed at Makkah and what was revealed at Medinah, and what it means. After that, he must be knowledgeable about the sayings of the Messenger of Allah (on whom be grace and glory from Allah), what is abrogated of it and what abrogates it, and he should know about the hadith what he knows about the Qur’an [that is, the different types of statements of like general and specific and literal and figurative and so on some of which he indicated above and which number twenty in all according to our ulama], and after that he must have mastery of the Arabic language, and be knowledgeable about poetry [the pre-Islamic and early poetry which is authoritative in defining the meaning of the words and expressions used in the Qur’an and hadith] and what is needed [from it ] for the [explanation of the language of] Qur’an and the sunnah, and he should use it [that is, adduce it as reference or authority] impartially. In addition [to the foregoing requirements] he should be apprised of the differences of opinion among the authorities of the different cities; furthermore, he should possess natural genius (qarihah / قريحة). So if that is the case[ that is, if a person possesses the above-mentioned qualifications], he may speak about, and give juridical decision (fatwa) concerning what is lawful and what is unlawful; otherwise, he must not give decisions (fatwa).

Wa salam

Undertaker

Personally,I think all 4 Imaams were pious people but I don't follow any of them instead I follow whatever I think is right in the light of Quran Sunnah.And I think thats one of those things which has enabled me to stay away from the curse of sects.