Indeed, you have narrowed what is wide!

Abu Talib

Feeling low
In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah stood up for Salah and we too stood up along with him. Then a bedouin shouted while offering Salah."O Allah! Bestow Your Mercy on me and Muhammad only and do not bestow it on anybody else along with us."

When the Prophet (peace be upon him) had finished his Salah with Taslim, he said to the Bedouin, "You have limited (narrowed) a very vast (thing)," meaning Allah's Mercy. [1]The Mercy of Allah is the reward of the obedient, the hope of the repentant, and the shelter of those who had despaired from the pardon of the Lord of the Worlds. Mercy is the rain through which the believing hearts grow. It is the light which illuminates dark roads, and the wealth which pens cannot describe. The mercy of Allah (may He be Exalted) is given to all His Servants until it encompasses them all. Mercy is embodied in every moment of their lives, in their movements, and in their silence.

Allah (may He be Exalted) says: "And My Mercy embraces all things. That (Mercy) I shall ordain for those who are the Muttaqûn (the pious), and give Zakât; and those who believe in Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.);" [Surat Al A`raf: 156].

Allah (Exalted be He) says: "Declare (O Muhammad peace be upon him) to My slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful." [Surat Al Hijr: 49].

It was narrated that the Companions (may Allah be pleased with them) were studying the Qur'an when Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I have read the Qur'an from the beginning to the end, but I did not read an Ayah which is more comfortable to me than Allah's Saying: "Say (O Muhammad peace be upon him to mankind): Each one does according to Shakilatihi (i.e., his way or his religion or his intentions.)." [Surat Al Isra': 84] because a servant always disobeys Allah and Allah always bestows mercy on His Servants. `Umar ibn Al Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I have read the Qur'an from the beginning to the end, but I did not read an Ayah more comfortable to me than Allah's Saying: "Ha Mim * The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ân) is from Allâh, the All-Mighty, the All-Knower. * The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favors). Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return." [Surat Ghafir: 1- 3].

Allah advanced the forgiveness of sins to the acceptance of repentance, which is a good indication to the believers. `Uthman ibn `Affan (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I have read the Qur'an from the beginning to the end, but I did not read an Ayah more comfortable to me than Allah's Saying: "Declare (O Muhammad peace be upon him) to My slaves, that truly, I am the Oft-Forgiving, the Most-Merciful." [Surat Al Hijr: 49].

`Ali ibn Abu Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) said: I have read the Qur'an from the beginning to the end, but I did not read an Ayah more comfortable to me than Allah's Saying: "Say: O 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh: verily, Allâh forgives all sins. Truly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surat Az-Zumar: 53].

Al Qurtuby said: I have read the Qur'an from the beginning to the end, but I did not read an Ayah more comfortable to me than Allah's Saying: "It is those who believe (in the Oneness of Allâh and worship none but Him Alone) and confuse not their belief with Zulm (wrong i.e. by worshipping others besides Allâh), for them (only) there is security and they are the guided." [Surat Al An`am: 82].[2]

Allah (may He be Exalted) says: "And your Lord is Rich (Free of all needs), full of Mercy." [Surat Al An`am: 133].

"And your Lord is Most Forgiving, the Owner of Mercy. Were He to call them to account for what they have earned, then surely, He would have hastened their punishment. But they have their appointed time, beyond which they will find no escape." [Surat Al Kahf: 58].

"When those who believe in Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) come to you, say: "Salâmun 'Alaikum" (peace be on you); your Lord has written (prescribed) Mercy for Himself, so that, if any of you does evil in ignorance, and thereafter repents and does righteous good deeds (by obeying Allâh), then surely, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surat Al An`am: 54].

"He has prescribed Mercy for Himself." [Surat Al An`am: 12].

Allah promised His Servants with mercy out of His Bounty, therefore He gives them respite to seek forgiveness and does not punish them at once. He mentioned the word "Himself" to confirm His Promise. The meaning of the speech is: Allah (may He be Exalted) draws the hearts of the disobedient to His Mercy and Compassion, telling them that He is Compassionate, shall show mercy to His Servants, and does not hasten to punish them; in the meantime He accepts their repentance. Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "When Allah completed the creation, He wrote in His Book Which is with Him on His Throne,"My Mercy overpowers My Anger." [3]

The meaning is: When He displayed His Destiny [which is written in a book] to some angels, He showed Al-Lawh-ul-Mahfuzh (the Preserved Tablet) in which it was written: "My Mercy overpowers My Anger." [4]

Allah (Exalted be He) says: "Say: O 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh: verily, Allâh forgives all sins. Truly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surat Az-Zumar: 53]

Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that Some pagans who committed murders in great number and committed illegal sexual intercourse excessively, came to Muhammad and said: "O Muhammad! Whatever you say and invite people to, is good: but we wish if you could inform us whether we can make an expiation for our (past evil) deeds." So the Divine Verses came: 'Those who invoke not with Allah any other god, not kill such life as Allah has forbidden except for just cause, nor commit illegal sexual intercourse.' [Al Furqan: 68]. And there was also revealed: 'Say: O My slaves who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah.' [Az-Zumar: 53]. [5]

Ibn `Umar narrated on the authority of `Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said: "When we made up our minds to migrate, I, Hisham ibn Al `As ibn Wa'il As-Sahmy, and `Ayyash ibn Abu Rabi`ah ibn `Utbah agreed to meet in Adat Banu Ghifar. We said: Whoever delays will be caught by the enemy, so his friend should leave him. In the morning there were only me and `Ayyash ibn `Utbah, and Hisham was caught and was forced to leave Islam until he apostated. When we came at Al Madinah (Medina), we used to say: Those people were tried in their religion until they apostated, so they shall receive no mercy; Hisham used to say that to himself too. So, Allah (Glory be to Him) revealed: "Say: "O 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh" [Surat Az-Zumar: 53] to Allah's Saying: "Is there not in Hell an abode for the arrogant?" [Surat Az-Zumar: 60]. `Umar said: I wrote it with my own hand, then I sent it to Hisham. Hisham said: When I received it, I took it to Dhu Duway and said: O Allah, make me understand this Ayah. Then I knew that it was revealed about us. So, I rode my camel and tried to catch the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) in Median."[6]

Sayyid Qutb (may Allah bestow mercy on his soul) said: "It is the wide mercy which encompasses every sin and it is the call for repentance. It is a call for the disobedient who are away from the Path of Allah to come to hope and have trust in the Pardon of Allah. Allah is merciful with His Servants and He knows their weakness and disability, as He knows the temptations around them and knows that Satan seduces them by all means. Furthermore, He knows that the construction of man is weak and soon he shall fall down if he loses hold of the way of Allah. Moreover, his functions, inclinations, and lusts will lose balance and fall into sin. Allah knows all this, but in the meantime, He expands His Mercy for man and prepares all the possible means for him in order to correct his mistakes and get back to the right course. In the moment of despair, a man hears the call of mercy from His Lord: "Say: O 'Ibâdî (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allâh: Verily, Allâh forgives all sins. Truly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." [Surat Az-Zumar: 53].

There is no barrier between him and mercy but to repent of his sins while the gates of mercy are wide open without keepers and without permission. "And turn in repentance and in obedience with true Faith (Islâmic Monotheism) to your Lord and submit to Him (in Islâm) before the torment comes upon you, (and) then you will not be helped. * And follow the best of that which is sent down to you from your Lord (i.e., this Qur'ân, do what it orders you to do and keep away from what it forbids), before the torment comes to you suddenly while you perceive not!" [Surat Az-Zumar: 54 - 55]. Repentance and submission are the main requisites for mercy, with no barrier, rituals, mediators, or intercessors. It is a direct relation between Allah and His Servant, so whoever wants to repent should do so. He should enter the gate of forgiveness and mercy because it is wide open without a keeper.[7]

Allah (Glory be to Him) says: "Ha Mim. * The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ân) is from Allâh, the All-Mighty, the All-Knower. * The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favors). Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return. The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favors). Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return." [Surat Ghafir: 1 - 3].

`Umar ibn Al Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that he missed a powerful man from the Levant. So, it was said to him: He is drinking wine. `Umar said to his scribe: Write: From `Umar to so and so. Peace be upon you! I praise Allah who has no partner in worship. In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful: "Ha Mim. * The revelation of the Book (this Qur'ân) is from Allâh, the All-Mighty, the All-Knower. * The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favors). Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return. The Forgiver of sin, the Acceptor of repentance, the Severe in punishment, the Bestower (of favors). Lâ ilâha illâ Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), to Him is the final return." [Surat Ghafir: 1 - 3].

Then he finished the letter and said to his messenger: Give him the letter when he is in full consciousness. Then he commanded the attendants to seek forgiveness for him to repent to Allah. When the man received the letter, he read it and said: Allah promised to forgive me and warned me against His Punishment; he kept saying it until he cried and left wine drinking and became righteous. When the news reached `Umar, he said: Likewise you should do when you see someone committing a mistake: Correct him, invoke Allah for him to repent, and do not be helpers of Satan against him." [8]

Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated: I heard Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) saying: Verily Allah created Mercy. The day He created it, He made it into one hundred parts. He withheld with Him ninety-nine parts, and sent its one part to all ‎His creatures. Had the non-believer known of all the Mercy which is in the Hands of Allah, he would not lose hope of entering Paradise, and had the believer known of all the punishment which is present with Allah, he would not consider himself safe from the Hell-Fire ." ‎[9]

It was reported on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: "If you know how wide is the mercy of Allah, you will depend on it [for forgiving your actions]."[10]. The Prophet's saying: "You have limited something wide," you have limited it in weigh and meaning because His Mercy is wide and ample as Allah says: "and My Mercy embraces all things." [Surat Al A`raf: 156].

The Prophet (peace be upon him) rebuked the bedouin because he limited the mercy of Allah, which is ample and wide, to himself and to the Prophet only. Allah (Glory be to Him) says: "And those who came after them say: "Our Lord! Forgive us and our brethren who have preceded us in Faith, and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed. Our Lord! You are indeed full of kindness, Most Merciful." [Surat Al Hashr: 10]. The nature of this nation is embodied in these texts and its strong bond shows up to connect the entire nation from the beginning to the end in solidarity, compassion, and sympathy that exceed time, place, sex, and lineage to unite the hearts and move emotions during long centuries. A believer recalls his Muslim brother after a long time of no see, the live remembers the dead, and a successor remembers a predecessor and walks on his track. It is a perfect and amazing picture that represents a fact, as it gives a high example for humanity unlike the bad examples mentioned in communism by Carl Marxis, the image of grudge which penetrates the hearts of the poor against the rich from generation to generations, and from the disbelievers to the believers in every nation and religion. Two images and two examples that cannot meet, an image raises mankind to the highest rank and another to the lowest rank, an image shows generations that are connected, loving, and taking the hands of one another to the way of Allah and another shows humans as rivals who kill one another and full of grudge and hatred even if they are worshipping their god in the temple. They show religion in the form of total deceit which the rich use to trick the poor and direct their attentions away from the wealthes in their hands. "And those who came after them say: "Our Lord! Forgive us and our brethren who have preceded us in Faith, and put not in our hearts any hatred against those who have believed. Our Lord! You are indeed full of kindness, Most Merciful." [Surat Al Hashr: 10]. This is the way of faith and this is the call of faith; truly it is an honorable way and what an honorable call. [11]

[1] Reported by Al Bukhari in the book of manners, No. (5551).

[2] Tafsir Al Qurtuby: vol. [10] P. (322).

[3] Sahih Muslim in the book of repentance, No. (4941).

[4] Tafsir Al Qurtuby, vol. 6, p. (395).

[5] Al Bukhari in the book of Tafsir Al Qur'an, No. (4436).

[6] Tafsir Al Qurtuby, vol. (15) p. (267), reported by Al Hakim vol. (2) P. (435) and said: This is an authentic Hadith according to the conditions of Muslim, however Al Bukhari and Muslim did not report it and Adh-Dhahaby agreed with him. Al Haythamy said in Majma` Az-Zawa'id vol. 6, p. (61): Reported by Al Bazzar, and its narrators are trustworthy.

[7] Fi Zhilal Al Qur'an [in the shade of the Qur'an], Dar Ash-Shurouq, p. (3058).

[8] Tafsir Al Qurtuby: vol. (15), p. (291).

[9] Reported by Al Bukhari in the book of AlRaqa'iq, No. (5988).

[10] Reported by Al Bazzar [authentic], See Hadith No: (5260) in Sahih Al Jami`.

[11] Fi Zhilal Al Qur'an [in the shade of the Qur'an] Sayyid Qutb, Dar Ash-Shurouq, p. (3527).

http://en.alukah.net/Shariah/0/1043/

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This is a most beneficial post. It should be mandatory reading for all members and guests. May Allah reward you for posting this. This is like getting zapped with energy.

faaraa

Nothing but Muslimah
:wasalam:

Subhanallah, indeed this is a thought provoking thread !!
Jazakallah Khair for sharing this with us