supporting hunger strikers

DanyalSAC

Asalaamu alaikum

My facebook is blowing up with people supporting Khader Adnan, a Palestinian imprisoned by Israel who is currently on a hunger strike.

My question is this: should we support an act like this? Hunger strike = suicide which (last I heard) was haraam in Islam.

Am I mistaken here?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I agree with you brother. I read an article that compared the current situation to that of Bobby Sands.
I do not know of any haidith nor anything in the Quran that suggests we resort to these means.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef
:salam2:

I see hunger strike more as nonviolence resistance. There is also possibility that occupiers will consent for claims of person and then he/she can stop his strike.

sister herb

Official TTI Chef

To zionists hunger strike of course isn´t nonviolent resistance but act of terrorism:

"An Israeli official has described 63-day Palestinian hunger striker Khader Adnan as an "Islamic Jihad terrorist".

strive-may-i

Haraam /Halaal, thats beyond me.

Sister Harb, has said it rightly, is a resistance. Hunger strategy in hands of good leaders has contributed to helping some regions get liberated from clutches of past imperialists.

I guess with time, hunger strategy too would end up being abused/wasted.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

It just makes no sense. Allah subhana wa taala has told us that our nature is to be forgetful. And it is true. An act such as this defeats itself. We forget and go on to the next minute. The next sensation.

We need a way to open communication. The most important thing we need to do is rely on Allah subhana wa taala. We must seek an answer in an Islamic manner and only Islamic manner.

I pray this does not sound cold hearted. And that is not to say that dua will not be made for him. We supplicate to Allah to protect our brothers in faith.

fatooba

one proof against hunger strike and extremes

Narrated by Anas bin Malik:"A group of three men came to the houses of the wives of the Prophet asking how the Prophet worshipped (Allah), and when they were informed about that, they considered their worship insufficient and said, "Where are we from the Prophet as his past and future sins have been forgiven." Then one of them said, "I will offer the prayer throughout the night forever." The other said, "I will fast throughout the year and will not break my fast." The third said, "I will keep away from the women and will not marry forever." Allah's Apostle came to them and said, "Are you the same people who said so-and-so? By Allah, I am more submissive to Allah and more afraid of Him than you; yet I fast and break my fast, I do sleep and I also marry women. So he who does not follow my tradition in religion, is not from me (not one of my followers)." (Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim)

It is misguided to support these man-made ideas of "peaceful fighting". ALlah has all the answers for us, and starving oneself does not give you dignity whatever people think of it. Suicide is one of the greatest sins, and not eating from what Allah provides you is an ingratitude. Its amazing that the man lived.. SubhanAllah!