The Qur'an and the American Civil War?!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

I once heard a story from students who studied at a University in the United States. It was so strange that I remembered it for a very long time.

With the Internet revolution, it only took the entry of some key words on the Google website to find out the details of this true story.

In the town of Tuscaloosa in Alabama in 1865, an incident happened during the final stages of the Civil War. The town housed the University of Alabama, and it had an impressive library. Please read the following:

In the center of the campus and immediately in front of the approaching Federals, about eighty-five yards away from the main road, stood the Rotunda, home of the University’s library and natural history collection. Standing in front of the Rotunda were several members of the faculty, including André Deloffre, University librarian and professor of French and Spanish, and Dr. William S. Wyman, professor of Latin and Greek. Colonel Johnston, mounted on a white horse (it was said he sat stiffly), approached the group and made his purpose known. The University was to be burned.

Librarian Deloffre pleaded for the library. Surely this one building could be spared. Colonel Johnston agreed that it would be senseless destruction to burn one of the finest libraries in the South. Hurriedly he scrawled a message to General Croxton asking permission to spare the building, noting that it had no military value. No record exists of the conversation between Johnston and the professors as they waited for a reply, though Dr. Wyman later described Johnston as a “man of culture and literary taste.”

When at last the courier returned, the general’s answer was disheartening. “My orders leave me no discretion,” wrote Croxton. “My orders are to destroy all public buildings.”

What happened next has become a part of the University of Alabama’s mythic fabric. It is said that Colonel Johnston, lamenting the destruction of such a fine library, decided to salvage one volume as a memento. Perhaps he sent one of his aides, or perhaps he sent Librarian Deloffre, or perhaps he went himself, to take one book from the library. The book saved was an English translation of The Koran: Commonly Called The Alcoran Of Mohammed, published in Philadelphia in 1853.

Source: http://www.alabamaheritage.com/vault/UAburning.htm

[emphasis added by myself]

The following is part of an article titled "The History of The Beta Delta Chapter of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity", found in the University of Alabama's website:

These two fraternities were the only representatives of the Greek world at the University for the next five years. At the outbreak of the Civil War these ceased to exist because activities necessarily were discontinued due to the depletion of their ranks through enlistments of the students into the Confederate Army. The University as a whole barely existed until April, 1865, when the report came that Union Cavalry, a detachment of Sherman’s Army, was advancing toward Tuscaloosa. The remaining students, mere boys, some hardly in their teens, marched bravely out under command of their professors to meet the invaders. But in spite of this wonderful patriotism, they were overwhelmed by the superior numbers and experience of the Federals. The Student Army was driven one hundred and fifty miles South, where they disbanded and found their different ways home as best they could. Having gained possession of the City, the Federals proceeded to burn all of the University buildings with the exception of the astronomical observatory. An interesting story is connected with the burning of the library, which at that time was one of the finest in the South. The aged librarian having plead in vain with the Union Commander to spare the building, asked as a special favor that he be allowed to remove very rare and valuable volumes. His request was granted and through his endeavor a priceless original of the Koran was saved for posterity. The same commanding officer recently made amends for his act of vandalism by donating to the University’s million dollar drive.

Source: http://www.bama.ua.edu/~uaato/betadelta.htm

[emphasis added by myself]

This particular copy of the translation of the meanings of the Qur'an is still found at and is exhibited in the W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library at the University of Alabama. Please read the following:

A Legacy of Warmth and Vitality: The Mansion, the Presidents, and Their Families at The University of Alabama — This exhibition was assembled in conjunction with the UA Past Presidents Family Reunion, held on June 19. The exhibit features photographs, artifacts, manuscript materials, and published materials relating to UA's past presidents and current president, as well as historical materials from the University's rich past through today. Included is an original plan of the campus and ledgers from the University's earliest days, as well as the copy of the Koran that was purported to have been rescued from the library when the campus was burned by federal troops in 1864.

Source: http://dialog.ua.edu/dialog20040823/cal20040823.html

[emphasis added by myself, and note that they got the year of the burning of the library wrong, since it was in 1865 -according to the two earlier quoted articles- and not in 1864]

I hope you enjoyed reading this story as much as I enjoyed hearing it, and may I add that whoever made the choice of saving that copy was a very smart man!

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum