Hassan ibn Thabit (RA)

Aziboy

Banned
Hassan ibn Thabit (RA)

Sayyeduna Hassan ibn Thabit (Ra) was a very dear companion of our beloved Prophet (saw).
He was the first and most notable poet who used his beautiful poetry to praise the Prophet (saw).

Hassan ibn Thabit (ra) had won acclaim at the courts of the Christian Arab Ghassanid kings in Syria and the Lakhmid kings of al-Hirah in Iraq.
He settled in Medina, where he accepted Islam at about the age of 60.

He became Islam's earliest poetic defender. His writings in defence of Prophet Muhammad (saw) contain references to contemporary events that have been useful in documenting the period. He was also Islam's first religious poet, using many phrases from the Qur'an in his verses. The work of Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) was instrumental in spreading the message of the Prophet (saw), as the Arabs were great poets and this formed a large part of the culture. The work and words of Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) are still regarded as the most beautiful in praise of the beloved Messenger (saw), and confirm how Islam permits the use of different talents and abilities as long as they are in support of Allah (swt) and His Prophet (saw).

The Prophet (saw) was so happy with Hassan Ibn Thabit (ra) that he ordered to establish and construct for him a mimbar- pulpit for him to stand upon when he delivered his poetry. The Prophet (saw) prayed for him saying that the Angel Gabriel (as) will support you as long as you defend Allah and His Prophet (saw).

Narrated Hassan bin Thabit Al-Ansari: I asked Abu Huraira "By Allah! Tell me the truth whether you heard the Prophet saying, ‘O Hassan! Reply on behalf of Allah's Apostle. O Allah! Help him with the Holy Spirit.’" Abu Huraira said, "Yes." (Bukhari)

Some examples are given of the beautiful and melodious poetry from the greatest religious poet; Hassan Ibn Thabit (Ra). These words have been translated from Arabic and as in all attempted translations, meaning and often the actual beauty can be lost. However these words do help us to understand the love of the Companions for our Prophet (saw), and the element of da’wah (invitation) to Islam.

When I saw his light shining forth,
In fear I covered my eyes with my palms,
Afraid for my sight because of the beauty of his form.
So I was scarcely able to look at him at all.
The lights from his light are drowned in his light
and his faces shines out like the sun and moon in one.
A spirit of light lodged in a body like the moon,
a mantle made up of brilliant shining stars.
I bore it until I could bear it no longer.
I found the taste of patience to be like bitter aloes.
I could find no remedy to bring me relief
other than delighting in the sight of the one I love.
Even if he had not brought any clear signs with him,
the sight of him would dispense with the need for them.
Muhammad is a human being but not like other human beings.
Rather he is a flawless diamond and the rest of mankind is just stones.
Blessings be on him so that perhaps Allah may have mercy on us
on that burning Day when the Fire is roaring forth its sparks.

He was the light and the brilliance we followed,
He was sight and hearing second only to Allah,
By Allah, no woman has conceived and given birth
To one like the Messenger, the Prophet and Guide of His people.
Nor Has Allah created among His creatures,
One more faithful to His sojourner or His promise
than he who was the source of our light.
Blessed in his deeds, just and upright,
O best of mankind, It was though I were in a river,
But now, without you, I have become lonely in my thirst.

Subhan Allah