Do babies have "awra"?

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
:salam2:
I am mother from 3years and half,and I'm wondering about some matters on the "awra" of children.Do they have one?by my hand I'm teaching to my daughters to cover their bodies becuse it's an "ashame" and it's haram to show it to others.I don't allow them to ask me any other questions at the moment for not to make them too much curious...one day it was really hot and it came normal for me to say to my daighter to put off the t-shirt:she told me :no mamma,it's ahsuma and haram!.
I was surprised that my rules had worked so good.but the point is:am I too exaggerate?I do this to defend their pudicity since their childhood,but I fear that one day they will do the contrary of what I've taught them...
do babies have "awra"?please give me any advice and I'll behave by consequence.:wasalam:

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
:wasalam:

I think you're doing fine. Here's what I"ve found on the topic:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is a consensus among the scholars that children who are four years old or younger have no awrah, meaning that there is no harm in looking at their naked bodies. The awrah of children over four years is the genitals and the buttocks. When the child's consciousness of sex has developed, or when evidence of sexual urge is noticed in him/her, the awrah limit becomes the same as that of adults and should be treated as such. However it is better to accustom the child to being always properly clothed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All the rules of prohibition of looking become void in cases of necessity such as in administering first aid or medical treatment or during a trial testimony as the judge requests. Other exceptions are looking at one's spouse, and a man looking at a woman for the prospect of marrying her. These two exceptions will be discussed later.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A child who is raised in the context of these divine rules of lowering the gaze will no doubt acquire a distinguished Islamic personality, and a noble social character. Indeed, there is no better way to teach the child these manners, than for us the parents to lead the way and set the proper example for them to follow.[/FONT]
[/FONT]
http://www.missionislam.com/family/teenager.htm

hayat84

I'm not what you believe
thank you for the post!maybe my daughters are ready for this step,because at nearly 4 and 3 years old they know many things and they understand what I mean when I worry for them.I see them running to me to have their hijab and when they look at a semi-naked girl,they say "shufi mamma,ariyena,ma tahshamsh"-Look,mom,she's nake,she doesn't ashame!.
I'm so proud of this!so I'll treat them as if they have the adult's awra,because they are aware of their body?

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
well they already are heading towards 5 years old. If they were 2-3 then I'd say go easy but I think your doing fine inshallah, it'll help them be more normal down the road like this then worry about fashion and exposing skins like most 7-10yrs are doing these days thanks to the immoral tv influence.

hana*

i was really pleased to read this thread and sis hayat what your daughters said in arabic made me smile, this is also fitrah.

i very strongly believe thaT its very important to instil the concept of hayah and awrah at a young age..its never too early

alf2

Islam is a way of life
well they already are heading towards 5 years old. If they were 2-3 then I'd say go easy but I think your doing fine inshallah, it'll help them be more normal down the road like this then worry about fashion and exposing skins like most 7-10yrs are doing these days thanks to the immoral tv influence.

I cant agree more.
My mom let me run around almost naked only wear shorts when i was a baby and young child. Then when she started making me cover it confused me ?_?

People should be ashamed who let their kids run around naked thinking its cute.