Stoning as Punishment

Precious Star

There was a recent discussion about the stoning of a woman in Afghanistan by the Taliban, on the News thread.

which begs the following question from me, as I am without the required information on this islamic topic. This is what I queried on the other thread:

What is the sunnah behind stoning. It is not in the Quran. Which is surprising because the Quran is a complete message, with very detailed procedures to follow where there are allegatins of known adultery. Why did Allah SWT leave out the stoning part? What does the Hadith say? My understanding is that it comes from the story of a man who admitted he committed adultery, and voluntarily submitted to stoning after speakign with the Holy Prophet PBUH. However, i may be wrong. Did the Prophet PBUH actually say that stoning is the required punishment for adultery, for men, women and children? Did He also endorse public stoning of women and children? What if the adulterer asked Allah for forgiveness?

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
:salam2:

Narrated Abdullah bin Umar
The Jew brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from amongst them who have committed (adultery) illegal sexual intercourse. He ordered both of them to be stoned (to death), near the place of offering the funeral prayers beside the mosque."
(Sahih Al-Bukhari, VOL 2, Hadith Number 413)

Narrated Ubadah ibn as-Samit
Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: Receive (teaching) from me, receive (teaching) from me. Allah has ordained a way for those (women). When an unmarried male commits adultery with an unmarried female (they should receive) one hundred lashes and banishment for one year. And in case of married male committing adultery with a married female, they shall receive one hundred lashes and be stoned to death.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 787)

Narrated Jabir ibn Samurah
As he was being brought to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him), I saw Ma'iz - a short-statured person with strong sinews, having no cloak around him. He bore witness against his own self four times that he had committed adultery, whereupon Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: Perhaps (you kissed her or embraced her). He said: No, By God, one deviating (from the path
of virtue) has committed adultery. He then got him stoned (to death), and then delivered the address: Behold, as we set out for Jihad in the cause of Allah, one of you lagged behind and shrieked like the bleating of a male goat, and gave a small quantity of milk. By Allah, in case I get hold of him, I shall certainly punish him.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 788)

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas
Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said to Ma'iz ibn Malik: Is it true what has reached me about you? He said: What has reached you about me? He said: It has reached me that you have committed (adultery) with the slave girl of so and so? He said: Yes. He (the narrator) said: He testified four times. He (the Prophet) then made pronouncement about him and he was stoned (to death).
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 789)

Narrated AbuSa'id
A person belonging to the clan of Aslam, who was called Ma'iz ibn Malik, came to Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) and said: I have committed an immoral crime (adultery), so inflict punishment upon me. Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) turned him away again and again. He then asked his people (about the state of his mind). They said: We do not know of any ailment of his except that he has committed some crime and he thinks that he will not be able to relieve himself of its burden unless the Hadd is imposed upon him. He (Ma'iz) came back to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) who commanded us to stone him. We took him to the Baqi' al-Gharqad (the graveyard of Medina). We neither tied him nor dug any ditch for him. We attacked him with bones, clods and pebbles. He ran away and we ran after him until he reached the stony ground (al-Harrah) and stopped there and we stoned him
with the heavy stones of the Harrah until he became motionless (he died). He (the Holy Prophet) then addressed (us) in the evening saying: Whenever we set forth on an expedition in the cause of Allah, some of those connected with us shrieked (under the pressure of sexual lust) like the bleating of a billy-goat. It is essential that if a person having committed such a deed is brought
to me, I should punish him. He neither begged forgiveness for him nor cursed him.
(Sahih Musim, Hadith number 790)

Narrated Buraydah
Ma'iz ibn Malik came to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) and said to him: Messenger of Allah, purify me. Thereupon he said: Woe to you, go back, ask forgiveness of Allah and turn to Him in repentance. He (the narrator) said that he went off a little way, then came and said: Messenger of Allah purify me. The Messenger of Allah said: Woe be upon you, go back and ask forgiveness of Allah and turn to Him in repentance. He (the narrator) said that he went off a little way, then he came and said: Allah's Messenger, purify me. Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) said as he had said before. When it was the fourth time, Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: From what am I to purify you? He said: From adultery. Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) asked if he had been mad. He was informed that he was not mad. He said: Has he drunk wine? someone stood up and smelt his breath but noticed no smell of wine. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace) be upon him) said: Have you committed adultery? He said: Yes. He made a pronouncement about him and he was stoned to death. The people had been (divided) into two groups about him (Ma'iz). One of them said: He has been undone for his sins have encompassed him, whereas another said: There is no repentance more excellent than the repentance of Ma'iz, for he came to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) and placing his hand in his (in the Holy Prophet's) hand said: Kill me with stones. (This controversy about Ma'is) remained for two or three days. Then came Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) to them (his companions) as they were sitting. He greeted them with a salutation and then sat down and said: Ask forgiveness for Ma'iz ibn Malik. They said: May Allah forgive Ma'iz ibn Malik. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: He (Ma'iz) has made such a repentance that if that were to be divided among a people, it would have been enough for all of them. He (the narrator) said: Then a woman of Ghamid, a branch of Azd, came to him and said: Messenger of Allah, purify me. Thereupon he said: Woe to you; go back and beg forgiveness from Allah and turn to Him in repentance. She said: I find that you intend to send me back as you sent back Ma'iz ibn Malik. He (the Holy Prophet) said: What has happened to you? She said that she had become pregnant as a result of fornication. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Is it you (who has done that)? She said: Yes. He (the Holy Prophet) said to her: (You will not be punished) until you give birth to that which is there in your womb. One of the Ansar became responsible for her until she was delivered (of the child). He (that Ansar) came to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) and said: The woman of Ghamid has given birth to a child. He (the Holy Prophet) said: In that case we shall not stone her and so leave her infant with none to breast-feed him. One of the Ansar got up and said: Allah's Apostle, let the responsibility of his nursing be upon me. She was then
stoned to death.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 791)

Narrated Al-Bara' ibn Azib
There happened to pass by Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) a Jew blackened and lashed. Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) called them (the Jews) and said: Is this the punishment that you find in your Book (Torah) as a prescribed punishment for adultery? They said: Yes. He (the Holy Prophet) called one of the scholars amongst them and said: I ask you in the name of Allah Who sent down the Torah to Moses if that is the prescribed punishment for adultery, which you find in your Book. He said: No. Had you not asked me in the name of Allah, I should not have given you this information. We find stoning to death (as the punishment prescribed in the Torah). However, this (crime) became quite common amongst our aristocratic class. So when we caught hold of any rich person (indulging in this offence) we spared him, but when we caught hold of a helpless person we imposed the prescribed punishment upon him. We then said: Let us agree (on a punishment) which we can inflict upon both the rich and the poor. So we decided to blacken the face with coal and flog as a substitute punishment for stoning. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: O Allah, I am the first to revive Thy command when they had cancelled it. He then gave the order and he (the offender) was stoned to death. Allah, the Majestic and Glorious, sent down (this verse): "O Messenger, (the behaviour of)
those who vie with one another in denying the truth should not grieve you..." up to "is vouchsafed unto you, accept it" (v.41). It was said (by the Jews): Go to Muhammad; if he commands you to blacken the face and award flogging (as punishment for adultery), then accept it, but if he gives the verdict of stoning, then avoid it. It was (then) that Allah, the Majestic and Great, sent down (these verses:"...And they who do not judge in accordance with what Allah has revealed, are indeed deniers of the truth" (v.44); "And they who do not judge in accordance with what Allah has revealed--they, they indeed are the wrongdoers" (v.45); "And they who do not judge in accordance with what God has revealed--they are the iniquitous" (v.47). (All these verses) were revealed in connection with the nonbelievers.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 793)

Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib
Ali, while delivering the address said: O people, impose the prescribed punishment upon your slaves, those who are married and those not married, for a slave-woman belonging to Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) had committed adultery, and he committed me to flog her. But she had recently given birth to a child and I was afraid that if I flogged her I might kill her. So I
mentioned that to Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) and he said: You have done well.
(Sahih Muslim, Hadith number 795)

And Allah knows best.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

I think the attachment below titled 'A Summary of Islamic Jurisprudence Volume 2' by Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan might help. Please navigate to pg 601 of the PDF (not the page printed on the actual book). The chapter on the prescribed punishment for Zina is pg 609.

I feel the chapter explains this whole issue very well. Therefore there is no point me adding anything in this post.

(Right click and save target as/link as).

A Summary of Islamic Jurisprudence Volume 2

(The Hadeeth that it references at Endnote 3 in the PDF for the zina chapter, I will try to post that in full, Insha'Allaah).

Ershad

[what about the second question about repentance/////???

The scholars of the Standing Committee said:

If the shar’i ruler hears of offenses and they are proven by sufficient evidence, then the hadd punishments must be carried out, and it is not waived by repentance, according to scholarly consensus. The Ghaamidi woman came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) asking him to carry out the hadd punishment on her after she had repented, and he said concerning her: “She has repented in a manner that if the people of Madeenah were to repent in this way, it would be sufficient for them.” But despite that he carried out the shar’i hadd punishment on her. But no one has the right to do that but the sultaan.

But if news of that offence does not reach the sultaan, then the Muslim should conceal himself with the concealment of Allaah and repent sincerely to Allaah, so that Allaah may accept his repentance.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 22/15

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/47834

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Am I correct in understanding that Islam provides for all scenarios of the sin. What are the opinions on why this is such a sin against society as a whole and not just a person. That needs to be addressed also.

Ershad

Assalaam walaikum,

Am I correct in understanding that Islam provides for all scenarios of the sin. What are the opinions on why this is such a sin against society as a whole and not just a person. That needs to be addressed also.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Sa’di said in his Tafseer :

Allaah describes zina and its evil as “a Faahishah (i.e. anything that transgresses its limits: a great sin” i.e., a sin that is abhorrent according to sharee’ah, common sense and sound human nature, because it is a transgression against the rights of Allaah, the rights of the woman, the rights of her family, and the rights of her husband, and it is spreading immorality, confusing lineages and other evils. The phrase “and an evil way” means it is an evil way for the one who dares to commit this grave sin.

Source : http://islamqa.com/en/ref/88051

Also,

The prohibition of Zina is supported by evidence in the Qur'an, the Sunnah (whatever is reported from the Prophet) and Ijma` (consensus of scholars) whether the reason behind it is known, such as protecting lineage and preserving the honor of a woman and her Waliy (a legally accountable person acting for a woman seeking marriage), or is unknown. The basic ruling concerning Islamic laws is that they are obeyed whether the reason behind them is known or unknown. There are other reasons unknown to many people behind the prohibition of Zina and protecting lineage is only one of them. Even if we assume that it is the only reason, Zina cannot be considered permissible once the risk of pregnancy is eliminated. What Allah has forbidden will remain so and a Muslim is not permitted to commit it, regardless of the existence or nonexistence of what they believe to be the reason behind its prohibition. Allah (Glorified be He) is All-Wise and All-Knowing in His Ordinances to His servants and in His Decree. If Zina was permissible in some cases, Allah would show them, and your Lord is never forgetful.

May Allah grant us success! May peace and blessings be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family, and Companions!

Source: http://www.alifta.org/Fatawa/FatawaChapters.aspx?View=Page&PageID=8318&PageNo=1&BookID=7

I hope that gives some explanation

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Here is the Hadeeth that I said I would post, I stopped after the portion that was relevant ended.

Narrated ibn ‘Abbaas (radiyAllaahu anhumaa):

I used to teach (the Qur’aan) to some people of the Muhajiroon (emigrants), among whom there was ‘Abdur-Rahmaan ibn ‘Awf. While I was in his house at Mina, and he was with ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab during ‘Umar’s last Hajj, ‘Abdur-Rahmaan came to me and said,

“Would that you had seen the man who came today to the Chief of the believers! What do you think about so-and-so who says:

‘If ‘Umar should die, I will give the Bai’a (pledge) to such-and-such person, as by Allah, the Bai’a to Abu Bakr was nothing but a prompt sudden action which got established afterwards.;

‘Umar became angry and then said,

‘If Allah will, I will stand before the people tonight and warn them against those people who want to deprive others of their rights (the question of rulership).’”

‘Abdur-Rahmaan said,

“I said,

‘O Chief of the believers! Do not do that, for the season of Hajj gathers the riffraff and the rabble, and it will be they who will gather around you when you stand to address the people. And I am afraid that you will get up and say something, and some people will spread your statement and may not say what you have actually said and may not understand its meaning, and may interpret it incorrectly, so you should wait till you reach Al-Madeenah as it is the place of emigration and the place of Prophet’s Sunnah; and there you can come in touch with the learned and noble people, and tell them your ideas with confidence, and the learned people will understand your statement and put it in its proper place.’

On that, ‘Umar said,

‘By Allah! If Allah will, I will do this in the first speech I will deliver before the people in Al-Madeenah.’”

Ibn Abbaas added:

We reached Al-Madeenah by the end of the month of Dhul-Hijjah, and when it was Friday, we went quickly (to the masjid) as soon as the sun had declined, and I saw Sa’eed ibn Zayd bin ‘Amr ibn Nufayl sitting at a corner of the pulpit, and I, too, sat close to him so that my knee was touching his knee, and after a short while, ‘Umar bin al-Khattaab came out, and when I saw him coming towards us, I said to Sa’eed ibn Zayd bin ‘Amr bin Nufayl,

“Today, Umar will say such a thing as he has never said since he was chosen as caliph.”

Sa’eed denied my statement with astonishment and said,

“What thing do you expect Umar to say the like of which he has never said before?”

In the meantime, ‘Umar sat down on the pulpit and when the Mu’adh-dhin had finished their call for Salaat (prayer), Umar stood up, and having glorified and praised Allah, as He deserved, he said,

“Amma ba’du (then after), I am going to tell you something which (Allah) has written for me to say. I do not know; perhaps it portends my death, so whoever understands and remembers it, must narrate it to the others wherever his mount takes him, but if somebody is afraid, that he does not understand it, then it is unlawful for him to tell lies about me. Allah sent Muhammad :saw: with the Truth and revealed the Book (the Qur’aan) to him, and among what Allah revealed, was the verse of the Rajm (the stoning to death) of married person (male and female) who commits illegal sexual intercourse, and we did recite this verse and understood and memorised it. Allah’s Messenger did carry out the punishment of stoning and so did we after him. I am afraid that after a long time has passed, somebody will say,

‘By Allah, we do not find the verse of the Rajm in Allah’s Book,’

- and thus they will go astray by leaving an obligation which Allah has revealed. And the punishment of the Rajm is to be inflicted to any married person (male and female) who commits illegal sexual intercourse) if the required evidence is available or there is conception or confession. And then we used to recite among the verses in Allah’s Book:

“O people! Do not claim to be the offspring of other than your fathers, as it is disbelief on your part that you claim to be the offspring of other than your real father.’

Then Allah’s Messenger said,

“Do not praise me excessively as (Prophet) ‘Eesa ibn Maryam (Jesus, son of Mary) was praised bu call me Allah’s slave and His Messenger.’

(O people!) I have been informed that a speaker among you says,

“By Allah, if Umar should die, I will give the Bai’a (pleade) to such and such person...............................’

(Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Volume 8, Hadeeth no. 6830).

There is also a similar narration in Saheeh Muslim as referenced in the book attached in my original post. I don't know if the version in Sunan ibn Maajah is the same.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brothers,

Yes, it does provide an explanation. It is for the protection of women that I seek evidence. It is to gain understanding of being a Muslim.

your sister in faith,

aapa

saifkhan

abd-Allah
as salam 'alaykum

I don't know why people always tend to point finger on Islam?

this is the Law of Allah, there is no niqaash.

Prophet Muhammad salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam never told anything from his own!

and JazakAllah khair for shairng the hadeeth, brother Maksudul.
because, the Jew they came to prophet, becasue it is nothing only from Islam only or Muhammad, it was from the previous scriptures also

Deuteronomy 22:20-21
New International Version (NIV)

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found.
21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

before they say anything to us, point their fingers to us, they should know first, what is in their scriptures

wa-llahu ta'la a'lam

wassalam

Precious Star

Brother Maksudul:

I have a some questions on your post.

First, were these accounts before or after the verses about adultery in the Quran were revealed to the Holy Prophet PBUH?

Second, it appears that in all of the stories recounted, the transgressors came to the Prophet and admitted up front their indecency. A trial was not needed.

Third, was it always the Holy Prophet who made the decision to inflict stoning as a punishment? Or did he allow others to make that decision in his stead?

Fourth, why did Ali order flogging when the punishment is to be stoning?

Finally, and this is what concerns me the most, there are many different accounts of the story of Maiz. You have produced them all. But there should be consensus on what exactly happened -- instead, there is much variability. So which account do we believe? Because it appears that Maiz ASKED for this punishment, in at least one story.

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us

I am not a scholar or even a proper student of knowledge, so I am in no position to actually explain hadiths. But as brother ditta posted and you will find many same rulings on the issue that the punishment for adultery of a free man or a free woman is stoning.

I can not answer your first and second questions.

For third question, It is upto the Qadi (the judge) appointed by the Imaam/Khalif/Leader or himself to give verdicts on punishments.

For fourth, for the slaves punishment were lighter than free man or women. So, if you read the hadith again you will see that it states adultery by a slave. Hence, the ordered punishment was flogging and not stoning.

As for the account of Mai'z, it is upto the scholars of Hadiths to decide which chain is the most sound and which account should be regarded as most authentic.

And Allah knows best.

Perseveranze

Brother Maksudul:

I have a some questions on your post.

First, were these accounts before or after the verses about adultery in the Quran were revealed to the Holy Prophet PBUH?

Second, it appears that in all of the stories recounted, the transgressors came to the Prophet and admitted up front their indecency. A trial was not needed.

Third, was it always the Holy Prophet who made the decision to inflict stoning as a punishment? Or did he allow others to make that decision in his stead?

Fourth, why did Ali order flogging when the punishment is to be stoning?

Finally, and this is what concerns me the most, there are many different accounts of the story of Maiz. You have produced them all. But there should be consensus on what exactly happened -- instead, there is much variability. So which account do we believe? Because it appears that Maiz ASKED for this punishment, in at least one story.

Asalaamu Alaikum,

The punishment is definitly stoning, but there's alot of wisdom behind it. It is the law which Moses(pbuh) originally brought.

It is used as a deterrant to stop people from commiting these serious crimes. This is evident, because the "requirement" of being applicable to recieve the punishment is almost impossible.

To be punished you need -

1. 4 Pious witnesses. Now, if you committed Adultery in the privacy of your own property and 4 PIOUS people saw you do it, even then you cannot be eligable for punishment, as spying is forbidden in Islam. Never in history has the 4 witness ever been achieved.

There's only 1 way to recieve the punishment - And that's self admittance. But keep in mind that even then, Islam encourages us to hide our sins and sincerely repent to Allah(swt).

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Thus, it is forbidden for Muslims to accuse chaste women ( Sura Al-Noor). We have hadeeth that reminds us of the benefits we gain when we cover another sin, on the Day of Judgment.

And there is hadeeth that it is a sin to uncover that which Allah has protected us with at night. His covering.

Thus, stoning is a form punishment. However, it is almost impossible to carry out.

So, I have to ask this question..and I need answers not debate, please...

Let me write this simply..

I have written this before...it is a sin for a Muslim to view the union of a man and a woman...I believe it is written we are not donkeys and must remain in private. Yet to have four pious witnesses...that's calling for an impossible scenario...

How do incidents such as the one in the News thread occur. Are the witnesses aware of the obligation they are upholding? What are the underlying reason for such stoning...

We are walking on very dangerous territory...because we are blaming a group of Muslims.

strive-may-i

The reason why i would not chase such a news is this: It denies facts and publishes it in a sensational format. It tailors the facts to suit the popular cultures taste, nothing more... Media of today is a culprit for many of the societies ill. News is less of a fact sheet and more of an opinionated projection of facts...

As to following rules and being just, every country out there has enough cupboards full of chapters of incorrect judgement and unjust attrocity. The rules are very clear on when to stone to death. For all we know, they could have got it right in some cases and wrong in other cases. Often, we are sitting too far away from the source and speculating the possibilities, without the facts in place.

a_stranger

السلام عليكم brothers and sisters

I think that Islam through it's teachings build a very sensitive conscience In humans, which strongly reject wrong doing especially big sins. It starts by teaching faith, taqwa , lowering gaze , higab then make the punishment in this life very sever (rajem for married people) and aaoodu biAllah hell in the hereafter....on the other side ask for a very strong evidence four witnesses , tell people not to talk in such issue, make marriage very easy and rewards for it. Finally opens the gates of repentance widly for all. Allah subhanahu wa taala through Islam educate, train, purify people, to build better societies. And Allahu aalam.

Lailalily

as salam 'alaykum

I don't know why people always tend to point finger on Islam?

this is the Law of Allah, there is no niqaash.

Prophet Muhammad salla Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam never told anything from his own!

and JazakAllah khair for shairng the hadeeth, brother Maksudul.
because, the Jew they came to prophet, becasue it is nothing only from Islam only or Muhammad, it was from the previous scriptures also

Deuteronomy 22:20-21
New International Version (NIV)

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found.
21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

before they say anything to us, point their fingers to us, they should know first, what is in their scriptures

wa-llahu ta'la a'lam

wassalam

You are barbaric and sick!
Allah subhanahuwatalaa gave you a brain to think and a heart to feel compassion! Im disgusted at the barabaric ideas from these "muslims"
have you even seen a stoning before?
you probably agree with those sick taliban/ Iranians who recruit children to decapitate people and all types of sick garbage!
whoever makes a person hate Islam by what they say will be held acountable on youm al qiyammah!
you justify things and you wonder why people arent converting!
you are truly sick, you and the likes of you. I find it hilarious how you go on sketchy sites and copy/paste whatever you can find to defend your pointless sick argument.
I guess some of the world is still living in the stoneage.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

First let me welcome you to the forum.

Second and more importantly my brother in faith is not sick nor disgusting. He is a pious brother.

This discussion is attempting to understand the wisdom behind stoning. No one here is advocating stoning.

Many members have spent time trying to find that wisdom. I am not going to rewrite what has been written.

These Muslims with the barbaric ideas stem from the best of generations of Muslims.

I have not heard of a sick Taliban..I am not sure what that implies.

You are using pure emotion. It weakens your stance.

How can hadeeth make a person hate Islam. Only those who have their hearts closed hate the best of all.

The brother provided more proof that stoning is limited to one faith.

Forgive me, but we try to be polite here. Even when we get into heated discussions.

mezeren

PLEASE READ

Brothers and sisters, please read the following text. it is long but beneficial, inshallah.

And, please be open to the civil discussion since we look for the truth. Some may disagree with what is written , in this case they should explain their point of view.

Take care.

Abrogation (Naskh) and Punishment of Stoning (Rajm)

Naskh, in its literal context, means the act of “bringing two things side by side, and transferring the text in one to the other”. Naskh is also “abrogating something, to be substituted by another.” This is the case wherein a provision in a verse is alleviated by another verse. This first verse is called the mansukh, and the later is the nasikh [1].

Accordingly, the act of a person transferring a text he/she has written, to another place is naskh. Such person removes part of that text, modifies another, and copies the exact wording of the most of the text. The second version abrogates and supersedes the first one. The last book of Allah is revealed so as to supersede the preceding ones. Allah did not transfer part of the provisions in previous books to His last Book, replaced part thereof with better orders, and literally transferred most of them as they are. Allah (SWT) commands:

شَرَعَ لَكُمْ مِنَ الدِّينِ مَا وَصَّى بِهِ نُوحًا وَالَّذِي أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ وَمَا وَصَّيْنَا بِهِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَى وَعِيسَى أَنْ أَقِيمُوا الدِّينَ وَلَا تَتَفَرَّقُوا فِيهِ.

“He has ordained for you that religion which He commended unto Noah, and that which We reveal to you (Muhammad), and that which We commended unto Abraham and Moses and Jesus, saying: Keep up the religion, and be not divided therein. ” (Ash-Shura/ Consultation 42:13)

There are new verses in Quran. These alleviated the provisions that existed in the previous scriptures. Allah (SWT) commands:

الَّذِينَ يَتَّبِعُونَ الرَّسُولَ النَّبِيَّ الْأُمِّيَّ الَّذِي يَجِدُونَهُ مَكْتُوبًا عِنْدَهُمْ فِي التَّوْرَاةِ وَالْإِنْجِيلِ يَأْمُرُهُمْ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَيَنْهَاهُمْ عَنِ الْمُنْكَرِ وَيُحِلُّ لَهُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتِ وَيُحَرِّمُ عَلَيْهِمُ الْخَبَائِثَ وَيَضَعُ عَنْهُمْ إِصْرَهُمْ وَالْأَغْلَالَ الَّتِي كَانَتْ عَلَيْهِمْ.
“Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them. He will enjoin on them that which is right and forbid them that which is wrong. He will make lawful for them all good things and forbids them only from the foul; and he will relieve them of their burden and the fetters that they used to wear.” (Al-A’raf/The Elevated Place 7:157)

There exists verses which, though were present in the previous books, were hidden from people and disremembered over time. Some of these were quoted in Qur’an, and some were not. This is the reason why some verses are not present in the Old and New Testament, though they exist in Qur’an. Allah (SWT) commands:

يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ قَدْ جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولُنَا يُبَيِّنُ لَكُمْ كَثِيرًا مِمَّا كُنْتُمْ تُخْفُونَ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَيَعْفُو عَنْ كَثِيرٍ قَدْ جَاءَكُمْ مِنَ اللَّهِ نُورٌ وَكِتَابٌ مُبِينٌ.
“O People of the Book[2]! Now has Our messenger come unto you, disclosing unto you much of that which you used to hide from the Book, and forgiving much. Now has come unto you light from Allah and a plain Book.” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5: 15)

There are additions made by people to the previous scriptures. We understand this from the following verse:

فَوَيْلٌ لِلَّذِينَ يَكْتُبُونَ الْكِتَابَ بِأَيْدِيهِمْ ثُمَّ يَقُولُونَ هَذَا مِنْ عِنْدِ اللَّهِ لِيَشْتَرُوا بِهِ ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا فَوَيْلٌ لَهُمْ مِمَّا كَتَبَتْ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَوَيْلٌ لَهُمْ مِمَّا يَكْسِبُونَ.
“Therefore woe be unto those who write the Scripture with their hands and then say, ‘This is from Allah,’ that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby! [3] (Al-Baqarah/ The Cow 2:79).

Such additions are not hard to be distinguished, since they distort the integrity. The People of Scripture (Ahl al-Kitab) should obey not to such additions, but to what Allah revealed to them. Allah (SWT) commands:

إِنَّا أَنْزَلْنَا التَّوْرَاةَ فِيهَا هُدًى وَنُورٌ يَحْكُمُ بِهَا النَّبِيُّونَ الَّذِينَ أَسْلَمُوا لِلَّذِينَ هَادُوا وَالرَّبَّانِيُّونَ وَالْأَحْبَارُ بِمَا اسْتُحْفِظُوا مِنْ كِتَابِ اللَّهِ وَكَانُوا عَلَيْهِ شُهَدَاءَ فَلَا تَخْشَوُا النَّاسَ وَاخْشَوْنِ وَلَا تَشْتَرُوا بِآَيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ.
“We did reveal the Torah, wherein is guidance and a light, by which the Prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah) judged the Jews, and the rabbis and the scholars (judged) by such of Allah’s Book as they were bidden to observe, and thereunto were they witnesses. So fear not mankind, but fear Me. And barter not My revelations for a little gain. Whoso judged not by that which Allah has revealed: such are concealers.” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:44).

وَلْيَحْكُمْ أَهْلُ الْإِنْجِيلِ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فِيهِ وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ.

“Let those who know the Gospel judge by that which Allah has revealed therein. Whoso judged not by that which Allah has revealed; such are sinners (fasiqun).” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:47)

(…)

One should refer to Quran to detect the additions made to previous books. Because, it is the task of Quran to protect the truths in those books. Allah (SWT) commands:

وَأَنْزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ فَاحْكُمْ بَيْنَهُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَهُمْ عَمَّا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْحَقِّ لِكُلٍّ جَعَلْنَا مِنْكُمْ شِرْعَةً وَمِنْهَاجًا وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ لَجَعَلَكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَلَكِنْ لِيَبْلُوَكُمْ فِي مَا آَتَاكُمْ فَاسْتَبِقُوا الْخَيْرَاتِ إِلَى اللَّهِ مَرْجِعُكُمْ جَمِيعًا فَيُنَبِّئُكُمْ بِمَا كُنْتُمْ فِيهِ تَخْتَلِفُونَ.

“And unto you have We revealed this Book with the truth, confirming whatever Book was revealed before with the evidences in It (Qur’an) [4] , and protecting and guarding over it (the preceding Books). So judge between them by that which Allah has revealed, and follow not their desires away from the truth which has come unto you. For each We have appointed a divine law and a clear way. Had Allah created (your belief) (without your efforts) He could have made you one community. But that He may try you by that which He has given you (He has made you as you are). So compete one with another in good works. To Allah you will all return, and He will then inform you of that on which you disagreed. ” (Al Maida/The Feast 5:48).

These verses suggest that Quran is the last copy of the scriptures revealed by Allah, abrogating the previous ones. Now it is to be obeyed. Allah (SWT) commands:

الَّذِينَ يَتَّبِعُونَ الرَّسُولَ النَّبِيَّ الْأُمِّيَّ الَّذِي يَجِدُونَهُ مَكْتُوبًا عِنْدَهُمْ فِي التَّوْرَاةِ وَالْإِنْجِيلِ يَأْمُرُهُمْ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَيَنْهَاهُمْ عَنِ الْمُنْكَرِ وَيُحِلُّ لَهُمُ الطَّيِّبَاتِ وَيُحَرِّمُ عَلَيْهِمُ الْخَبَائِثَ وَيَضَعُ عَنْهُمْ إِصْرَهُمْ وَالْأَغْلَالَ الَّتِي كَانَتْ عَلَيْهِمْ فَالَّذِينَ آَمَنُوا بِهِ وَعَزَّرُوهُ وَنَصَرُوهُ وَاتَّبَعُوا النُّورَ الَّذِي أُنْزِلَ مَعَهُ أُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْمُفْلِحُونَ.

“Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them. He will enjoin on them that which is right and forbid them that which is wrong. He will make lawful for them all good things and forbid them only from the foul; and he will relieve them of their burden and the fetters that they used to wear. Those who believe in him, and support him with respect and help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him; it is those who will be successful.” (Al-A’raf/ The Elevated Place 7:157)

Pointless debates have taken place on whether the sunnah, acts and words of the Prophet (p.b.u.h), may abrogate the verses. The sunnah is subordinate to Quran. The subordinate may not be judged separately from the principle [5]. Allah (SWT) commands:

اتَّبِعْ مَا أُوحِيَ إِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَبِّكَ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا هُوَ وَأَعْرِضْ عَنِ الْمُشْرِكِينَ.

Follow, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you from your Lord – there is no deity except Him – and turn away from those polytheists (mushrikun). (Al-An’am/ The Cattle 6:106)

وَإِذَا تُتْلَى عَلَيْهِمْ آَيَاتُنَا بَيِّنَاتٍ قَالَ الَّذِينَ لَا يَرْجُونَ لِقَاءَنَا ائْتِ بِقُرْآَنٍ غَيْرِ هَذَا أَوْ بَدِّلْهُ قُلْ مَا يَكُونُ لِي أَنْ أُبَدِّلَهُ مِنْ تِلْقَاءِ نَفْسِي إِنْ أَتَّبِعُ إِلَّا مَا يُوحَى إِلَيَّ إِنِّي أَخَافُ إِنْ عَصَيْتُ رَبِّي عَذَابَ يَوْمٍ عَظِيمٍ.

“And when Our revelations are recited unto them as clear evidences, they who look not for the meeting with Us said: “Bring a Quran other than this, or change it.” Say (O Muhammad): “It is not for me to change it of my own accord. I only follow what is revealed to me. If I disobey my Lord I fear the chastisement of a tremendous Day.” (Yunus/ Jonah 10:15)

It goes without saying that, when a verse is abrogated, the words and practices of our Prophet shall also be abrogated.

It is claimed that the meaning of a verse survives, after its wording is abrogated. For a verse could only be abrogated by another verse, the later verse abrogates also the meaning of the previous one, in addition to its wording.

The verse which describes the process of abrogation is the following one:

مَا نَنْسَخْ مِنْ آَيَةٍ أَوْ نُنْسِهَا نَأْتِ بِخَيْرٍ مِنْهَا أَوْ مِثْلِهَا أَلَمْ تَعْلَمْ أَنَّ اللَّهَ عَلَى كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرٌ

“Whatever verse We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things.” (Al-Baqara /The Cow 2:106).

Another verse is the following:

وَإِذَا بَدَّلْنَا آَيَةً مَكَانَ آَيَةٍ وَاللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا يُنَزِّلُ قَالُوا إِنَّمَا أَنْتَ مُفْتَرٍ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْلَمُونَ.

“And when We replace (one) verse with (another)verse, and Allah knows best what He reveals, they say: “You are only a forger. No, most of them do not know.” ” (An-Nahl /The Bee 16:101).

These verses prescribe two conditions for abrogation:

1. It should occur between verses / communications.

2. The abrogating verse should bear the same provision with, or a better provision than the one contained in the former verse.

Consequentially, while the majority of verses in Quran involve the same provisions with the verses of previous scriptures, some have alleviating provisions. The punishment for adultery is an example of alleviation.

The punishment for adultery in Torah and Gospel is death sentence. Our Prophet also used to practice this for some time. Qur’an first converted this punishment into life imprisonment, and then into 100 whip beats. Now let us see the course of abrogation on this issue in Torah, Gospel and Quran.

A-PUNISHMENT FOR ADULTERY IN TORAH

Following is quoted from the Levites Section 20:

10.And the man that committed adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committed adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

11.And the man that slept with his father’s wife has uncovered his father’s nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them. .

12. And if a man sleep with his daughter in law, both of them shall surely be put to death: they have wrought confusion; their blood shall be upon them

13.If a man also sleep with mankind, as he slept with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

17. And if a man shall take his sister, his father’s daughter, or his mother’s daughter, and see her nakedness, and she see his nakedness; it is a wicked thing; and they shall be cut off in the sight of their people: he has uncovered his sister’s nakedness; he shall bear his iniquity.

19.And you shall not uncover the nakedness of your mother’s sister, nor of your father’s sister: for he uncovered his near kin: they shall bear their iniquity.”

20.And if a man shall sleep with his uncle’s wife, he has uncovered his uncle’s nakedness: they shall bear their sin; they shall die childless.

21.And if a man shall take his brother’s wife, it is an unclean thing: he has uncovered his brother’s nakedness; they shall be childless

Following is quoted from the Deuteronomy Section 22:

22. If a man is found lying with the wife of another man, both of them shall die, the man who lay with the woman, and the woman; so you shall purge the evil from Israel.

23.If there is a betrothed virgin, and a man meets her in the city and lies with her;

24.Then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city, and you shall stone them to death with stones, the young woman because she did not cry for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbor’s wife; so you shall purge the evil from the midst of you

25. But if in the open country a man meets a young woman who is betrothed, and the man seizes her and lies with her, then only the man who lay with her shall die.

26. But to the young woman you shall do nothing; in the young woman there is no offense punishable by death, for this case is like that of a man attacking and murdering his neighbor.

B- PUNISHMENT FOR ADULTERY IN THE GOSPEL

Section of the Gospel of John quotes the following event:

3-4- The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst, they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery”

5-Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?

6.This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

7. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her”

8.And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.

9.But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.

10.Jesus looked up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11.She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again.”

Jesus (p.b.u.h) did not abrogate stoning with these words, but only refrained from imposing such a heavy punishment relying only on the testimony of sinful people. The Gospel of Matthew includes the following verses:

17.Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them.

18. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away,not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

19. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 5)

C-STONING PUNISHMENT IN THE PRACTICE OF PROPHET (P.B.U.H)

There happened to pass by Allah’s Prophet (p.b.u.h) a Jew blackened and lashed. He called them (the Jews) and said: “Is this the punishment that you find in your Book?” They said : “Yes” He called one of the scholars amongst them and said: “I ask you in the name of Allah Who sent down the Torah on Moses if that is the prescribed punishment for adultery that you find in your Book”. He said :”Had you not asked me in the name of Allah, I would not have given you this information. But this (crime) became quite common amongst our aristocratic class. So when we caught hold of any rich person (indulging in this offence) we spared him, but when we caught hold of a helpless person we imposed the prescribed punishment upon him”. We then said: “Let us agree (on a punishment) which we can inflict both upon the rich and the poor”. So We decided to blacken the face with coal and flog as a substitute punishment for stoning. Thereupon Allah’s Prophet (may peace be upon him) said:

“O Allah, I am the first to revive Your command when they had made it dead.”

He then commanded and he (the offender) was stoned to death. Allah (SWT) sent down (this verse):

يُحَرِّفُونَ الْكَلِمَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَوَاضِعِهِ يَقُولُونَ إِنْ أُوتِيتُمْ هَذَا فَخُذُوهُ وَإِنْ لَمْ تُؤْتَوْهُ فَاحْذَرُوا.

“…some Jews…alter the words from their established meanings. They say: if this decision is made about you, follow it, and if this is not decided, obey not..” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:41)

Because it was said (by the Jews): Go to Muhammad; if he commands you to blacken the face and award flogging (as punishment for adultery), then accept it, but it he gives verdict for stoning, then avoid it. Then Allah (SWT) sent these verses for all concealers:

وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ

“… whoso judged not by that which Allah has revealed: such are concealers.”

وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الظَّالِمُونَ

“… whoso judged not by that which Allah has revealed: such are wrongdoers.”
وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَئِكَ هُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ.

“… whoso judged not by that which Allah has revealed: such are sinners (fasiqun).” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:44-47)[6]

A man and a woman of the Jews committed adultery. Some of them said to the others: “Let us go to this Prophet. For he has been sent with an easy law. If he gives a judgment lighter than stoning, we shall accept it, and argue about it with Allah, saying: “It is a judgment of one of your prophets.” So they came to the Prophet (p.b.u.h) who was sitting in the mosque among his companions. They said: “Abul Qasim [7], what do you think about a man and a woman who committed adultery? He did not speak to them a word till he went to their school (Bayt al-midras, the place where they taught Torah) [8]. He stood at the gate and said: “I adjure you by Allah Who revealed the Torah to Moses, what (punishment) do you find in the Torah for a person who commits adultery, if he is married?” They said: He shall be blackened with charcoal, taken round a donkey among the people, and flogged. A young man among them kept silent. When the Prophet (p.b.u.h) emphatically adjured him, he said: . “By Allah, since you have adjured us (we inform you that) we find stoning in the Torah (is the punishment for adultery). The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said: “So when did you lessen the severity of Allah’s command?” They said: A relative of one of our kings had committed adultery, but his stoning was suspended. . Then a man of a family of common people committed adultery. He was to have been stoned. But his people intervened and said: “Our man shall not be stoned until you bring your man and stone him.” So they made a compromise on this punishment between them. The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said: “So I decide in accordance with what the Torah says. He then commanded regarding them and they were stoned to death.

Az-zukhri said: We have been informed that this verse was revealed about them:

إِنَّا أَنْزَلْنَا التَّوْرَاةَ فِيهَا هُدًى وَنُورٌ يَحْكُمُ بِهَا النَّبِيُّونَ.

“We did reveal the Torah, wherein is guidance and a light, by which the Prophets who submitted themselves (to Allah) judged the Jews, and the rabbis and the scholars (judged) by such of Allah’s Book. ” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:44) Our Prophet is among them. [9]

One day a Jew man and a Jew woman were brought to the Prophet (p.b.u.h). They committed the crime together. Thereupon Allah’s Prophet (may peace be upon him) said: What do you find in your book on this issue? “Our scholars established the punishment of blackening with ash and placing backwards on the animal.”

Abdullah Bin Salam said: “Oh the Messenger of Allah, let them bring the Torah.” Torah was brought. He put one of his hand on the verse on stoning. Then he read the previous and next verses. Abdullah Bin Salam said : “Lift up your hand!”. The verse on stoning was seen at once under his hand. The Messenger of Allah ordered, and both were stoned to death [10].

Ruling of the Messenger of Allah for Jews could have only been the ruling of Allah. Allah (SWT) commands:

وَأَنْزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ فَاحْكُمْ بَيْنَهُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ أَهْوَاءَهُمْ.

“And unto you have We revealed this Book with the truth, confirming whatever Book was revealed before with the evidences in It (Qur’an) , and protecting and guarding over it (the preceding Books). So judge between them by that which Allah has revealed, and follow not their desires away from the truth which has come unto you. ” (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:48)

It is narrated that the following verse also relates to this adultery case [11]:

وَكَيْفَ يُحَكِّمُونَكَ وَعِنْدَهُمُ التَّوْرَاةُ فِيهَا حُكْمُ اللَّهِ ثُمَّ يَتَوَلَّوْنَ مِنْ بَعْدِ ذَلِكَ وَمَا أُولَئِكَ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ.

How come they to you for judgment when they have the Torah, wherein Allah has delivered judgment (for them)? Yet even after that they turn away. Such are not believers. (Al-Ma’ida/ The Feast 5:43)

This verse assured that the judgment in Torah for adultery is the judgment of Allah. The reason that Jews came to our Prophet (p.b.u.h) was to avoid this punishment. For that reason, they said to those whom they sent: “…if this decision is made about you, follow it, and if this is not decided, obey not..” (Al-Maida/ The Feast 5:41) [12]

Given that the judgment in Torah is the judgment of Allah, our Prophet could not have prescribed any other penalty. For a while, he followed Torah for Muslims who committed adultery. The following hadeeth demonstrates this:

Abu Khurayra and Zaid Bin Khalid said: “We were with the Prophet (p.b.u.h). A man stood up and said: “I urge you to judge only with the book of Allah among us.” His respondent was more indulgent, he said: “Judge among us with the Book of Allah, and listen to me.” Our Prophet said : ‘Speak’, he followed:

“My son was his worker. He committed adultery with his wife. I gave as ransom money 100 sheep and a servant slave. I asked to those who know, they told that my son should get 100 whips and a year in exile, and the woman is to be stoned to death.”

Our Prophet said: “I swear by who sustains my life, I shall judge with the Book of Allah among you. 100 sheep and the slave are to be returned. Your son is to be punished by 100 whips and a year of exile. Unays, go the wife of this man, stone her to death if she admits the crime.” He went, and stoned her to death as she admitted the crime [13].

It is clear that the “Book of Allah” mentioned here is Torah. For no verse was revealed then in Quran concerning adultery. Neither of the verses revealed contained the punishment of stoning.

The punishment of whipping is not present the Torah copy we have in our hands. This punishment may be in the copy held by Jews in Madina.

D-ABROGATION OF THE PUNISHMENT OF STONING

With the verses in Surat an-Nisa, the punishment of stoning to death, rajm, was converted to house arrest for women, and further it was ruled that the man and the woman are to be oppressed till they correct themselves. Allah (SWT) commands:

وَاللَّاتِي يَأْتِينَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مِنْ نِسَائِكُمْ فَاسْتَشْهِدُوا عَلَيْهِنَّ أَرْبَعَةً مِنْكُمْ فَإِنْ شَهِدُوا فَأَمْسِكُوهُنَّ فِي الْبُيُوتِ حَتَّى يَتَوَفَّاهُنَّ الْمَوْتُ أَوْ يَجْعَلَ اللَّهُ لَهُنَّ سَبِيلًا. وَاللَّذَانِ يَأْتِيَانِهَا مِنْكُمْ فَآَذُوهُمَا فَإِنْ تَابَا وَأَصْلَحَا فَأَعْرِضُوا عَنْهُمَا إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ تَوَّابًا رَحِيمًا.

“And those of your women who commit adultery — call to witness four of you against them; and if they bear witness, then confine them to the houses until death overtakes them or Allah open for them a way.

Punish both of them- man and woman-, among you that commit adultery. If they repent and correct themselves, then let them. Allah accepts the repentance. He is The Merciful.”
(An-Nisa/ The Women 4:15-16)

The expression “…until Allah open for them a way..” demonstrates that the punishment will be further alleviated. The alleviation has taken place with the second verse of Surah an-Nur. Allah (SWT) commands:

الزَّانِيَةُ وَالزَّانِي فَاجْلِدُوا كُلَّ وَاحِدٍ مِنْهُمَا مِئَةَ جَلْدَةٍ وَلَا تَأْخُذْكُمْ بِهِمَا رَأْفَةٌ فِي دِينِ اللَّهِ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآَخِرِ وَلْيَشْهَدْ عَذَابَهُمَا طَائِفَةٌ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ.

“Flog each of them, the adulterer and the adulteress, hundred stripes. If you believe in Allah and in the Last Day, don’t be tender to them when you perform the order of Allah. Let a party of the believers testify with their own eyes this punishment.” (An-Noor/ The Light 24:2)

This verse judged for 100 whips as the punishment of adultery, without any discrimination between man and woman, or single and married. This punishment is lighter than being detained in house till death, or oppressed until one improves himself/herself, as mentioned in Surat an-Nisa.

Quran abrogated the provisions in Torah concerning adultery, which our Prophet (p.b.u.h) applied for a period of time. Some had the opinion that, considering the previous practices of our Prophet (p.b.u.h), Surat an-Noor regulated the punishment to be imposed to the single and Quran contained no provision concerning the married, who deserved the punishment of stoning to death. Yet, it is clear from the three verses that the punishment to be imposed to the married should be 100 whips.

1. Slander of Adultery to One’s Wife

وَالَّذِينَ يَرْمُونَ أَزْوَاجَهُمْ وَلَمْ يَكُنْ لَهُمْ شُهَدَاءُ إِلَّا أَنْفُسُهُمْ فَشَهَادَةُ أَحَدِهِمْ أَرْبَعُ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ. وَالْخَامِسَةُ أَنَّ لَعْنَةَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ. وَيَدْرَأُ عَنْهَا الْعَذَابَ أَنْ تَشْهَدَ أَرْبَعَ شَهَادَاتٍ بِاللَّهِ إِنَّهُ لَمِنَ الْكَاذِبِينَ. وَالْخَامِسَةَ أَنَّ غَضَبَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهَا إِنْ كَانَ مِنَ الصَّادِقِينَ.

“And (as for) those who accuse their wives and have no witnesses except themselves, their testimony should be taken four times, bearing Allah to witness that he is most surely telling the truth.
The fifth (time) he wishes that the curse of Allah be on him, if he is one of the liars.
And what will avert the chastisement from her is if she testifies four times, bearing Allah to witness that her husband is most surely lying.
The fifth (time), she wishes that the wrath of Allah be on her, if he is telling the truth.”
(An-Noor/The Light 24:6-9)

The expression “the chastisement = al azab” in the 8th verse shows the 100-whip punishment. The `al’ affix is for a specific reference, granting the word to which it is affixed the meaning specified formerly. The torment specified in Quran concerning adultery is 100 whips. It is not possible for that word to refer to any other thing within the context of Arabic grammar. It is certain that the woman mentioned above is married.

2. The Verse on Wives of the Prophet

يَا نِسَاءَ النَّبِيِّ مَنْ يَأْتِ مِنْكُنَّ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُبَيِّنَةٍ يُضَاعَفْ لَهَا الْعَذَابُ ضِعْفَيْنِ وَكَانَ ذَلِكَ عَلَى اللَّهِ يَسِيرًا.

“O you the wives of the Prophet! Whosoever of you commits manifest lewdness, the punishment for her will be doubled.” (Al-Ahzab/ The Allies 33:30).

It is apparent that the wives of the Prophet are married. The punishment to be imposed on them should be appropriate for doubling. Death punishment could not be doubled, but 100 whips can be.

The word “al azab” quoted in these verses signifies only the 100 whips in Surat an-Noor. Because the “al” affix here is for specific reference.

3. Adultery of the Married Maids (Jariyah)

فَإِنْ أَتَيْنَ بِفَاحِشَةٍ فَعَلَيْهِنَّ نِصْفُ مَا عَلَى الْمُحْصَنَاتِ مِنَ الْعَذَابِ.

“…the believing maids whom your right hands possess… if when they are honourably married they commit lewdness they shall incur the half of the punishment (prescribed) for free women (in that case).” (An-Nisa / The Women 4:25)

If it is the stoning which is to be imposed for married free women, the term “half” makes no sense as regards stoning to death. Because some die by one stone hit, some by numerous stones. It is only the 100 whips which could be halved.

In conclusion, the sole punishment for the crime of adultery is 100 whips. After all such clear evidences, the opposite could not be claimed. Besides, the Prophet of Allah said: “Lower the punishments to the extent it is justifiable by doubts.” [14]. Given such apparent evidences, the stoning punishment could not be defended relying on doubtful evidences.

Thus Quran abrogates both Torah and Gospel concerning the punishment for adultery.

4. Practices of the Prophet (p.b.u.h) Demonstrating that Stoning is Abrogated

Ash-Shaibani said: “I asked to Abdullah Bin Abu Awfa: ‘Had the Messenger of Allah (p.b.u.h) applied the stoning punishment?’ He said : “Yes” “Was that before or after the (revelation of) Surat an-Noor?”. He said “I do not know”. [15].

However, the following narration indicates that the practice of stoning was before the revelation of Surat an-Noor:

A man had confessed that he committed adultery. The Messenger of Allah asked for a stick. A broken stick was brought. He said: “Bring a better one” A new stick was brought, knurls of which were not sculpt. He said: “Bring a lighter one” A smooth, soft stick was brought. The man was beaten with the stick upon the order of the Messenger of Allah. Then he said:

“O people! Now it is time to avoid the limits put by Allah. Whoever does anything from such ignominies, let him cover himself with the veil of Allah [16]. For we apply the Book of Allah to those who show us their faces.” [17]

Here, beating the criminal with 100 whips regardless of whether he was single or married, and saying that the Book of Allah was applied, abolish all doubts. Because there is no other punishment in the Book of Allah then 100 whips.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE: Bayindir, Abdulaziz. Kur’an Işığında Doğru Bildiğimiz Yanlışlar, Suleymaniye Foundation Publications, 2 ed., Istanbul, 2007, p: 280-294.

[1] al-Ayn, item نسخ

[2] The general name given to communities who have in their hands the scriptures revealed by Allah.

[3]Those who exploit people by way of religion pretend their books to be dictated by Allah in order to attribute them divineness. Many are deceived by this.

[4] The word “al kitab” used in the verse is repeated twice with the letter “lam”, and thus both meanings were given as Quran. For Quran affirms the verses which are present both in it and in the previous scriptures, not the ones which are foisted into them. Alleviation of heavy punishments, such as stoning to death of the adulterer, is also a type of affirmation. Since Quran is protected by Allah, so are such provisions of previous books.

[5] Majalla with Explanatory Notes (Majalla al-Ahkam al-Adliyya), Edit. Ali Himmet Berki, İstanbul, 1978, art. 48.

[6] Muslim, Hudud, 28.

[7] Meaning “the father of Qasim”. Arabs call a person with the name of his first son. Qasim was the first son of our Prophet (p.b.u.h).

[8] Ahmet Önkal, “Beytülmidras”, DİA, v. VI, p. 95.

[9] Abu Dawood, Hudud, 26.

[10] Bukhari, Hudud, 24.

[11] at-Tabari, Tafseer, V. IV s. 583; al-Jassas, Ahkam al-Quran, V. II, p. 438; al-Qurtubi, al-Jami li Ahkam al-Quran, v. VI, p. 122.

[12] at-Tabari, Tafseer, V. IV, p. 577.

[13] Bukhari, Hudud, 30.

[14] Tirmidhi, Hudud, 2.

[15] Bukhari, Hudud, 21.

[16] Let him repent.

[17] Muwatta, Hudud, 2/12.