Umar ibn al-Khattaab: An account of his entrance to Islam

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
As-salaamu'Alaykum,

I thought I would post this thread because I was looking for the story of Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allah be pleased with him) entering Islam but I could not find it (now its easier for me to find it, Alhamdu'lillaah). May Allah be pleased with all the Companions of the Prophet (may Allahs peace and blessings be upon him).

Having despaired of being able to force Muslims to abandon their Religion, the leaders of the Quraish became desperate. In one strategic meeting they held, they put forward the question,

"Who is the man who will kill Muhammad?"

The reader would do well to understand that there was more to this question than appeared on the surface. The leaders of the Quraish were afraid to kill the Prophet :saw:, for killing him would lead to an all-out civil war among the various sub-tribes of the Quraish. Any clan that would be responsible for the killing of Prophet Muhammad (may Allahs peace and blessings be upon him) would incur upon itself the wrath of the Prophet's clan. Therefore, in asking the question,

‘Who is the man who will kill Prophet Muhammad (may Allahs peace and blessings be upon him)?’

- the leaders of the Quraish were looking for a scapegoat, a man who was foolhardy enough to put his own life and the lives of his fellow clansmen in danger. If a man volunteered for and then executed the job, the leaders of the Quraish could afterwards say to the Prophet’s uncle and protector, Abu Taalib,

“We had nothing to do with your nephew’s death.”

When the question was posed, almost everyone remained silent; after all, there were countless reasons why people were wary of the idea of killing the Prophet :saw: - among those reasons was their inner knowledge that the Prophet was truthful and their fear of killing a man who was so close to Allah. One person did speak, excitedly announcing that he would kill the Prophet; and that man was none other than Umar ibn Al-Khattaab (radhiyAllaahu anh). In fact, no sooner was the question posed – “Who is the man who will kill Muhammad?” – then Umar stood up and said,

“I am the man for this job.”

And the other members of the Quraish, relieved that none of them had to risk their necks, responded in unison:

“Yes, O ‘Umar, you are the man for this job!”

Umar left at midday, on an extremely hot day. With his sword unsheathed he went out in search for the Messenger of Allah. He had been informed that the Prophet :saw: was gathering with those of his Companions who had not migrated to Abyssinia – the likes of Abu Bakr, Ali and Hamzah (radhiyAllaahu anhum); and that they were likely gathered just south of Mount as-Safa, in the home of Al-Arqam.

As ‘Umar headed in that direction, he was accosted by Nu’aim ibn ‘Abudllah An-Nahhaam (radhiyAllaahu anh), a man who had embraced Islam but kept that fact a secret, fearing reprisal and persecution. Nu’aim saw ‘Umar from a distance; and nothing both his unsheathed sword and the menacing expression on his face, Nu’aim correctly guessed that he was up to no good. And so he accosted him in the hopes of finding out what he planned to do, of delaying him, and of convincing him to abandon his planes.

“Where are you going, O ‘Umar?”

Nu’aim nervously asked.

“I am going to this Saabai (a derogatory term used for someone who abandons the religion of his forefathers; here, of course, ‘Umar was referring to the Prophet), who has divided the Quraish, derided their leaders, found fault with their religion, and cursed their gods. I am going to him in order to kill him.”

“Ill-advised, and unwise if the purpose for which you are walking, O ‘Umar. By Allah, you are deceiving none save yourself; you are acting in a foolhardy manner; and your actions will lead to the destruction of the Banu ‘Adee clan (i.e., Umar’s clan). For do you think that the children of ‘Abd-Manaaf (i.e., the Prophet’s clan) will allow you to continue to walk on the earth after you have killed Muhammad?”

The two of them stood there arguing. Their voices were raised, until ‘Umar finally said in a threatening voice,

“Verily, I think that you too have abandoned your religion. Had I known that to be a fact, I would have begun with you (i.e., I would have killed you first).”

Already, Nu’aim had been treading on dangerous ground. There was nothing he could do to change Umar’s mind, but at least he hoped to delay him and to turn his attention, at least temporarily, away from the Prophet. And so he said,

“I will tell you this: Your family and the family of your brother-in-law have embraced Islam, and have left you to wander aimlessly in your state of misguidance.”

Nu’aim’s words had their intended effect, for no sooner did Umar hear them, than he shot back with the question,

“Which of them (has embraced Islam)?”

Nu’aim replied,

“Your brother-in-law, your paternal cousin, and your sister.”

(Seerah Ibn Hishaam (1/343), although the chain of narrators is partially cut off. This narration is also related in Ibn Sa’ads At-Tabaqaat (3/267); it is related by Al-Qaasim ibn Uthmaan Al-Basree from Anas; Al-Qaasim, however, is a weak narrator. Dr Wasiyyullah Muhammad Abbaas analysed and graded all of the narrations that describe the above-mentioned story, and he mentioned the results of his findings in his commentary of Imam Ahmad’s book Fadaail As-Sahaabah (1/342)).

Upon hearing that his sister and her husband had embraced Islam, Umar was overcome by a fit of uncontrollable rage. Thus Nu’aim achieved his desired effect of diverting Umar’s attention away from the Prophet ((may Allahs peace and blessings be upon him). Umar headed straight towards his sister’s house and banged on the door. Umar’s sister, Faatimah (may Allah be pleased with her); her husband Sa’eed (may Allah be pleased with him), and their Qur’aan teacher, Khabbaab (may Allah be pleased with him) – these three were inside, busy reading the Qur’aan. But as soon as they heard Umar’s angry voice they stopped what they were doing. Khabbaab found a place to hide, and by the time Umar entered, Faatimah did not have enough time to hide the scroll from which they were reading the Qur’aan – and so she hurriedly tried to hide it under her leg.

Faatimah was prepared for the worst, for she immediately saw and understood the meaning of the evil expression on Umar’s face.

“I heard you speaking in low, secretive voices: What were you saying?”
Umar demanded.

They were reciting Chapter (20) Ta-Ha of the Noble Qur’aan.

“We were just having a conversation between ourselves.”

Faatimah said:

“Perhaps the two of you have abandoned your religion,” said Umar.

Sa’eed said,

“O Umar, suppose that the truth lies in something other than your religion.”

Umar suddenly lunged at Sa’eed and pulled at his beard. The two of them struggled for a brief period, but Umar was clearly the stronger of the two, pinning his opponent on the ground and then sitting on his chest. Faatimah then came and tried to push Umar off her husband, but then Umar struck her on her face, which resulted in blood streaming down the side of her face. In an angry tone, Faatimah exclaimed,

“O enemy of Allah, do you strike me simply because I believe in the Oneness of Allah?”

He dryly replied,

“Yes.”

Faatimah said,

“Then do whatever it is you planned to do. I bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah. We have embraced Islam in spite of you!”

When Umar heard these words, he began to regret what he had done. He got off Sa’eed and sat down beside him on the ground. And he then said,

“Give me the scroll that is with you, so that I can read it.”

Faatimah said,

“I will not do that.”

Umar said,

“Woe upon you! What you said struck a chord in my heart, so give it to me and let me see it. I give you the sincerest and strongest of pledges that I will not betray you (by tearing it apart, for instance) and that I will give it back to you so that you can then safeguard it in any place of your choosing.”

“You are impure,” Faatimah replied, thus alluding to the saying of Allah:

Which (that Book with Allah) none can touch but the purified (i.e. the angels).

(Qur’aan, 56: 79)

“Then stand up and take a bath, or at least perform ablution.” Faatimah said.

Umar left, took a bath, and then returned to his sister, who then gave him the scroll. It contained Chapter Ta-Ha, in addition to other chapters of the Qur’aan.

The first words Umar read were,

“In the name of Allah, the Most-Beneficent, the Most-Merciful.”

Upon reading the words,

“The Most-Beneficent the Most-Merciful.”

Umar felt frightened and dropped the scroll from his hand. When he then regained his composure, he picked up the scroll again and read the following verses of Chapter Ta-Ha:

Ta-Ha (These letters are one of the miracles of the Qur’aan and none but Allah (Alone) knows their meanings.

We have not sent down the Qur'aan unto You (O Muhammad
:saw:) to Cause You distress,

But Only as a Reminder to those who fear (Allah).

A Revelation from Him (Allah) who has created the earth and High heavens.

The Most Beneficent (Allah) Istawa (rose over) the (Mighty) Throne (in a manner that suits his Majesty).

To Him belongs all that is In the heavens and all that is on the earth, and all that is between them, and all that is under the soil.

And if You (O Muhammad
:saw:) speak (the invocation) aloud, Then Verily, He knows the secret and that which is yet more hidden.

Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the Right to be worshipped but He)! To Him belong the Best Names.

(Qur’aan, 20: 1-8).

He felt the magnificence and greatness of what he (radhiyAllaahu anh) was reading, for upon finishing the said verses, he commented,

“Is it from this that the Quraish have been running away?”

He then continued to read on, until he reached the saying of Allah:

"Verily! I am Allah! La ilaha illa Ana. (none has the right to be worshipped but I), so worship Me, and perform as-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat) for My remembrance.

"Verily, the Hour is coming and My Will is to keep it hidden - that every person may be rewarded for that which he strives.

"Therefore, let not the one who believes not therein (i.e. In the Day of Resurrection, Reckoning, Paradise and Hell, etc.), but follows his own lusts, divert you therefrom, lest you perish.

(Qur’aan, 20: 14-16)

Umar then said,

“As for the One Who says this, it is not fitting that any other (false idol, person, angels, or anyone or anything for that matter) should be worshipped alongside him. Take me to Muhammad :saw:.”

(Refer to Fadaail as-Sahaabah, by Imam Ahmad, 1/344).

Upon hearing Umar utter those last words, Khabbaab came out of his hiding place and exclaimed,

“Rejoice, O ‘Umar! For indeed I hope that the supplication of the Prophet made on Monday is being answered with you.

He :saw: said:

‘O Allah, honour Islam with the more beloved of these two men to you: Abu Jahl ibn Hishaam or Umar ibn al-Khattaab.’”

(Refer to at-Tantaawiyaat, pg. 117).

Umar said,

“Tell me where the Messenger of Allah :saw: is.”

Now knowing that Umar was being sincere, the three of them replied,

“He is just south of (Mount) As-Safaa.”

Umar took his sword and made his way towards the Messenger of Allah. He knocked on the door of Al-Arqam’s home, and upon hearing his voice, the Prophet’s Companions became frightened, and not a single one of them dared to open the door for him. They knew how strong he was, and they knew the harshness with which he dealt with the Messenger of Allah. When Hamzah sow how afraid the others were, he said to them,

“What is the matter with you all?”

They said,

“Umar ibn al-Khattaab (is outside).”

Hamzah said:

“Umar ibn al-Khattaab? Then open the door for him. If Allah wants good to befall him, he will embrance Islam. If Allah wants something else for him, it will be easy for all of us together to (overpower Umar and) kill him.”

They opened the door, and for obvious security reasons, Hamzah and another man held him by the sides of his body. They then admitted him into the presence of the Messenger of Allah :saw:, who, upon seeing how they held on tightly to Umar, said,

“Release him.”

The Messenger of Allah got up, drew nearer to Umar, pulled roughly at his clothing, and said,

“What brings you here, O son of Al-Khattaab? By Allah, I do not think you will stop (your evil behaviour towards us) until Allah sends down upon you a calamity.”

Umar replied,

“O Messenger of Allah, I have come to you as a man who believes in Allah, in His Messenger and what His Messenger came with from Him.”

The Messenger of Allah :saw: exclaimed,

“Allah is the Greatest,” everyone inside Al-Arqam’s home then knew that Umar (radhiyAllaahu anh) had indeed embraced Islam.

When the Prophet’s Companions left that day, with each person going his separate way, they felt stronger and more confident – for in a span of just a few days, two of Quraish’s strongest and most intimidating men had embraced Islam, Hamzah and Umar. And they knew that the two of them would do everything in their power to defend the Messenger of Allah.

(Refer to As-Sahaabah by Imam Ahmad, 1/344).

(Taken 'The Biography of Umar ibn al-Khattaab' by Dr. Sallabi).

mahaseeb

Asalamiualikum..
May allah bless you brother... Thanks a lot for sharing.
Jazakallah hu khair
Abdul Haseeb