Is these the way you put the feet in Salât?

Idris16

images
images

The picture to the left is the ''Iftirâsh'' position while the one to the right is ''Tawarrok'' position. Tawarrok can also be done when letting the right foot rest on the ground. The tawarrok is done in the last tashahhud! The thing is subhânAllâh if it can be done in only three ways then many prays Salât in the wrong way. May Allâh rectify our mistakes! Âmîn

My question: Are these the only way we have our feet?

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalaamu `alaykum

May Allaah increase us all in beneficial knowledge.

Sitting in Tawarruk is Mustahabb (preferred), and not from the arkaan (pillars) or the waajibaat (obligations) of the Salaah. So, whoever did not do it or does not do it- their salah is valid inshaa'Allaah [As long as they do the arkaan of the salaah and the waajibaat].

A point worthy of mention is that it is sunnah to sit "Tawarruk" in the final tashahhud of a salaah that has two tashahhuds. So, one sits Tawarruk in Dhuhr, `Asr, Maghrib and `Ishaa'

BaarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum

saifkhan

abd-Allah
Assalaamu `alaykum

Sitting in Tawarruk is Mustahabb (preferred), and not from the arkaan (pillars) or the waajibaat (obligations) of the Salaah. So, whoever did not do it or does not do it- their salah is valid inshaa'Allaah [As long as they do the arkaan of the salaah and the waajibaat].

A point worthy of mention is that it is sunnah to sit "Tawarruk" in the final tashahhud of a salaah that has two tashahhuds. So, one sits Tawarruk in Dhuhr, `Asr, Maghrib and `Ishaa'

BarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum

As-salam 'alaikum warahamtu-llahi wa barakatuhu

Jazakum Allahu khair for the very precise and beautiful answer.
just to add you, also in witr prayer.

although you've mentioned in the salah where there are two tashahhud.

barakum Allahu feekum
wassalam

Idris16

Assalaamu `alaykum

BaarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum
:wasalam: warahmatullah wabarakatuh

Alhamdulillâh I knew I could count on you. It's understandable during the Salât in Jamâ`àh, you can sit in Iftirâsh in the last Tashahhud. But my question is, are there other ways you can put your feet or is the other ones wrong? You know, can you rest your foot in middle tashahhud, I believe this is still called Tawarrok, for it seems people have hard to do Iftirâsh.

Because you know there are those who call themselves ''Shuyûkh'' eventhough they should call themselves ''Tâlibul `ilm'' yet can't pray correctly :astag: Allâhu A3lam.

Târiq, it seems you have studied islâm in your local Masjid or what. Please tell me, it seems you have studied the Ahâdîth.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
As-salam 'alaikum warahamtu-llahi wa barakatuhu

Jazakum Allahu khair for the very precise and beautiful answer.
just to add you, also in witr prayer.

although you've mentioned in the salah where there are two tashahhud.

barakum Allahu feekum
wassalam

Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakaatuh

BaarakAllaahu feek.

The witr prayer does not actually have two Tashahhud within one tasleem (one salaam) if you notice...

The correct opinion about Witr is that it should not be prayed like Maghrib salaah (i.e two tashahhuds). But, if you pray behind a hanafi imaam then that is a different case and you should follow him... perhaps then you can do tawarruk in the final Tashahhud

Because you know there are those who call themselves ''Shuyûkh'' eventhough they should call themselves ''Tâlibul `ilm'' yet can't pray correctly :astag: Allâhu A3lam.

Akhee, what do you mean they cannot pray correctly?

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum:

Well,here at our Masjid before standing up after second prostration during a Rakat,we take few seconds in sitting posture,I mean we do not directly come erect position immediately after second prostration. But I was just watching a video about Salat at a website "Jeddah Dawah Center" and here the devotee took erect posture directly without consuming few seconds in sitting posture.

This may be a very very minor issue but we need to pray as Muhammad (SAW) practically exhibited.

?????????.

Regards.

muslimshabs

Asalamu alaikum...

jazakallahu khair for the info. Actually I have learnt from a knowledgeable person that there is another jalsa between two sajdah...like this...
pl08.jpg

and not the second one...
can somebody explain on the same...

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalamu Alaikum:

Well,here at our Masjid before standing up after second prostration during a Rakat,we take few seconds in sitting posture,I mean we do not directly come erect position immediately after second prostration. But I was just watching a video about Salat at a website "Jeddah Dawah Center" and here the devotee took erect posture directly without consuming few seconds in sitting posture.

This may be a very very minor issue but we need to pray as Muhammad (SAW) practically exhibited.

?????????.

Regards.

Wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Yes its called Jalsah al-istiraahah. The scholars differed as to whether it is mustahabb to do it or not and the majority of scholars were of the view that it is not mustahabb as mentioned by Imaam al-Nawawi and this is the strongest opinion. The point is there is a difference of opinion on this and both opinions are based on evidences.

Let me know if you want me to explain the other opinion.

sachin4islam

Wa 'alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Yes its called Jalasah al-istiraahah. The scholars differed as to whether it is mustahabb to do it or not and the majority of scholars were of the view that it is not mustahabb as mentioned by Imaam al-Nawawi and this is the strongest opinion. The point is there is a difference of opinion on this and both opinions are based on evidences.

Let me know if you want me to explain the other opinion.

Assalamu Alaikum: Br.

Thanks for the reply. I welcome further explanation about the other opinion.

Regards.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykum salaam wa rahmatullaah

Jalsatul Istiraahah: This is when a person sits (for a short while) after the second prostration in the 1st Rak`ah or 3rd Rak`ah (Apart from Maghrib). This is done just before he stands up.

The scholars differed as to whether it is Mustahabb to do this or not.

From the scholars who held that it is Mustahabb were Imaam al-Shaafi`ee (this is the known report from him) and from the contemporary scholars, Shaykh `Abdul `Azeez ibn Baaz and Shaykh al-Albaanee held this view.

Generally their evidence is based on the narration of Imaam al-Bukhaari narrated on the authority of Maalik al-Huwayrith, radiyAllaahu `anhu that he saw the Prophet :saw2: praying and when he had prayed an odd number (of Rak`ah), he did not stand up till he had sat up properly

[Please note the Sahaabi: Maalik al-Huwayrith]

The second opinion is that Jalsatul Istiraahah is not Mustahabb and this was the opinion of the majority of scholars as mentioned by Imaam al-Nawawi and this includes Imaam Abu Haneefah, Imaam Maalik and this was also the known opinion of the Hanaabilah.

The scholars disagreed because it was authentically reported on Ibn `Abbaas, Ibn `Umar, Ibn Mas`ood (as reported by Ibn Abi Shaybah and Ibn Mundhir) that they did not do this (i.e jalsatul istiraahah). And these were sahaabah who were known to follow the Prophet :saw2: very closely.

The scholars mentioned that Maalik Ibn Al Huwayrith came to madeenah in the 9th year after Hijrah, just before the Prophet :saw2: was getting ready for the battle of Tabook and it was narrated that the Prophet became heavier and old. This is why Ibn Taymiyyah rahimahullaah said that it is sunnah for a person to not do Jalsatul Istiraahah if he is healthy and he is able to stand up straight from the prostration, and he said that it is sunnah to do the Jalsatul Istiraahah if the person is old and is finding it difficult to stand up straight after the prostration. And this is what seems to be the most correct opinion and Allaah knows best.

It should be noted that if the Prophet :saw2: did the Jalsatul Istiraahah very often then it would have been narrated from a large number of companions, rather it was only narrated by Maalik al-Huwayrith, radiyAllaahu `anhu, who only spent 20 days with the Prophet :saw2:... this is what was mentioned by Ibn Qayyim, Al-Sa`dee, Shaykh Muhammad ibn Ibraaheem aal al-Shaykh.

If you did not understand any point, please let me know so that I can clarify inshaa'Allaah.

----

Whatever the case, if a person truly believes that Jalsatul Istiraahah is Mustahabb and follows the opinion of Shaykh al-Albaanee or Ibn Baaz then its not a problem. As long as we all appreciate valid differences of opinion, there will be a beautiful brotherhood amongst muslims :)

sachin4islam

Assalamu Alaikum: Br Thariq.

I got the point and I appreciate your explanation. And it needs surely to convey your response to members of our Masjid.

Well,to be true I myself find it difficult to instantaneously stand up after second prostration and many times I loose my balance (this is while praying in Masjids other than those of Ahle-Hadith Jamaat). I am bit over weight. :)

May Allah (SWT) bless you.

Regards.

muslimshabs

asalamu alaikum...

jazakallahu khair brother... In my hometown the people have been divided on the basis of these small things. and one considers the other praying the wrong way of salah... Astagfirullah...

salamu alaikum...

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
asalamu alaikum...

jazakallahu khair brother... In my hometown the people have been divided on the basis of these small things. and one considers the other praying the wrong way of salah... Astagfirullah...

salamu alaikum...

Sad thing is that, these days people judge your `Aqeedah by minor fiqh issues- in which there are valid differences of opinion. Unfortunately, some of these people are those who claim to stick to the Qur'aan, Sunnah and the understanding of the Salaf... and out of their ignorance, judge people to be deviants just because they do not place their hands on their chest, or they do not stand feet to feet in congregation or perhaps because they go knees first to Sajdah before hands etc. And these are issues even the Salaf differed in, and ignorant people judge others due to these minor issues.

May Allaah increase us all in beneficial knowledge and make us of those who speak from knowledge.

sachin4islam

Sad thing is that, these days people judge your `Aqeedah by minor fiqh issues- in which there are valid differences of opinion. Unfortunately, some of these people are those who claim to stick to the Qur'aan, Sunnah and the understanding of the Salaf... and out of their ignorance, judge people to be deviants just because they do not place their hands on their chest, or they do not stand feet to feet in congregation or perhaps because they go knees first to Sajdah before hands etc. And these are issues even the Salaf differed in, and ignorant people judge others due to these minor issues.

May Allaah increase us all in beneficial knowledge and make us of those who speak from knowledge.

Assalamu Alaikum: Br.

Very well said. The issues those immaterial are responded more and heavily discussed. During Salat,the motto should be spiritual,trying to go as close as possible to our Creator. But sadly many devotees are more careful about others whether they have tied their hands at chest or elsewhere,and so on. Spirituality is expressive but sadder part is that those who cling to absolute truth rarely exhibit it.

I am at consensus with you.

Regards.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
Assalaamu `alaykum

BaarakAllaahu feekum
Wassalaamu `alaykum

wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahamthullahi wa barakatuhu

akhi, we also do "Tawarruk" during fajr prayer. Is that wrong?(i understand it is neither an arkaan nor a wajib.. but want to 'fine tune' myself and those in the masjid'*smiles*)

please give me proof (and counter arguments, if any) so that i can insha Allah benefit and correct others... (brothers in masjid are quite knowledgeable and i cannot talk to them without evidences.)

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahamthullahi wa barakatuhu

akhi, we also do "Tawarruk" during fajr prayer. Is that wrong?(i understand it is neither an arkaan nor a wajib.. but want to 'fine tune' myself and those in the masjid'*smiles*)

please give me proof (and counter arguments, if any) so that i can insha Allah benefit and correct others... (brothers in masjid are quite knowledgeable and i cannot talk to them without evidences.)

If a person sincerely believes that the sunnah is to do Tawarruk during Fajar, then inshaa'Allaah he will be rewarded as he is basing this on the opinion of a scholar who did ijtihaad based on evidence.

Nonetheless, with regards to Tawarruk, there are generally 2 views:

1) The person sits Tawarruk in the last rak`ah of every salaah, whether the salaah consists of two Tashahhuds or one. This was the view of the Shaafi`iyyah and the Maalikiyyah [i.e the Shafi`ee madh-hab and the Maaliki madh-hab]

2) The person sits Tawarruk in the second Tasahhud of salaah that consists of two Tashahhuds. This was the view of the Hanaabilah, and there is a clear report from Imaam Ahmad explicitly mentioning that one sits Tawarruk in Dhuhr, `Asr, Maghrib and `Ishaa'.

The Shaafi`iyyah and the Hanaabilah both based their evidence on the hadeeth of Abu Humayd when he narrated the prayer of the Prophet :saw2: "...when he sat up, at the end of two Rak`ahs, he sat on his left foot and put erect the right one (Muftarishan, refer to the pic on the left- first pic posted by akh Idris16); and when he sat up after the last Rak`ah he put forward the left foot, put erect the other one and sat on his buttock" [Narrated by al-Bukhaari]

The Shaafi`iyyah mentioned that this hadeeth is general and is to be applied in the last rak`ah of every single prayer.

As for the Hanaabilah, then it should be noted that the hadeeth earlier on mentiones ".. when he sat up, at the end of two Rak`ah..." so they mentioned that Tawarruk is specific for a prayer that has two Tashahhuds as indicated by the hadeeth.

So, it can be seen that both the views had a different understanding of the same hadeeth. Not much of a big issue :)

Thus, I advise you to advise the brothers at your masjid of things that are of more importance :)

BaarakAllaahu feek
Wassalaamu `alaykum

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
^ wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullah
Jazak Allahu khyir. very well explained.

may Allah increase you and all of us in knowledge.

Peace be upon you.