At Crossroad-Nationalism and Islam.

sachin4islam

Assalam Alaikum: My Islamic Br's & Sis's.

Being a Muslim (reverted) certainly changes ones stand towards not only religious/spiritual aspects,but also towards social and political outlook.

My one of the best post reversion spiritual friend is Danish Anwar,a Pakistani national. Recently on TTI I became familiar with Saif another Pakistani,truly I find in him another good friendship. But before reversion could I ever think of fraternity/friendship with any Pakistani?. No, not at all. The rivalry between India and Pakistan which began with the inception of Pakistan seems to a never-ending process. This rift superficially appears political but its deep anchored roots clearly reflect a religious division.

For an Indian (non-Muslim) specially from north-central belt,a Pakistani is surely a foe. But for an Indian Muslim largely,a Pakistani is a Muslim and hence a brother in Islam. And this differential status absorbed by an Indian Non-Muslim and an Indian Muslim,raises a question towards loyalty of Indian Muslims. I myself looked towards Indian Muslims as betrayers,supporting an already existing perception in minds of Indian Non-Muslims.

Taking to Danish Anwar I never ever thought of his nationality and neither he would have thought of my national origin. He is my brother in Islam. And so now from stand point of view of an average Non-Muslim Indian I am a traitor,for now I am not seeing a Pakistani as my rival but as a brother in Deen of Allah.

Should I confer to my previous stand (as a Non-Muslim) towards a Pakistani and be called an Indian nationalist or should confer to my post reversion stand which turns me to a traitor as perceived by an average Indian?.

When our Ummah is already divided into several nations and some of them are hostile to each other,the seed of nationalism within the soil of Muslim nation has grown to a tree. For a Muslim living in an Muslim country nationalism is not an issue, but for Muslims with minority status in a Non-Islamic nation,nationalism can be a big issue.

I am at crossroad whether to choose nationalism simultaneously being a Muslim or choose being only Muslim discarding nationalism. Former choice restricts principle of Islamic brotherhood and later choice terminates me as a traitor. Both choices run parallel and can't be opted simultaneously.

Regards.
Abdullah.

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
wa alaykkum assalaam wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu

brother, may be i am little immature to give this advice, but here it goes.

We are accountable for every deed, arent we?? what good will this nationlism bring to us in the hereafter?? im not talking about indian nationalism or pakistan nationalism... be it any country. can you possibly think of any good that can benefit us in the hereafter?? atleast i cant think of any. but loving your brother for what he is, will possibly better in the sight of Allah. better than nationalism atleast.

Be it any country, by assigning sovereignity to their rulers they are actually going against The KING of Kings to whom the sovereign of all the world belongs.

one the side note: its funny to be a muslim-from-india. we have unfortunate muslim friends who say fight for kashmir muslims by supporting india. fellow hindus from india smile at our face and say you have to support india, and deep in themselves they are convinced that we are pakistanis living in india and working for ISI and we have "few" brothers from other side of the border who think we are betrayers of deen. strive to earn Allah's pleasure. then Allah will make them all know what we intend in our hearts.

Wallahi Allah would destroy these political borders one day. What will our nationalism bring any good on that day??

assalaamu alaykkum wa rahmathullahi wa barakatuhu.

sachin4islam

Walikum Salam Br. ilyas_eh.

Thanks for your splendid reply. You are truly right nationalism is not a deed to be rewarded in Hereafter. But to our misfortune we are living in a scattered Ummah, run by Human laws and not by the divine Shariah.

Perseveranze

Asalaamu Alaikum,

Excellent topic brother, we must always choose Islam over nationalism (if we had a choice). Like your a Muslim FIRST and then an Indian SECOND. Same with every other Muslim, you Submit to God first and foremost before anything else.

One flag, one testimony, one ummah; There is no God but God, Muhammad(pbuh) is his last messenger.

This in itself is a beauty of Islam