Procrastination??

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalaamu alaikum, I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan.

So, how do you handle procrastination??
This might seem like "duuh its common sense" answer but, I am seriously looking for ways to help myself. I am like the biggest procrastinator EVER......but sometimes it seems like its helping because I do well when I am under pressure.

Do any of you go through the same thing, in other words, do any of you procrastinate often??? to the point where you JUST hate it??

if you don't, what do you do to help you handle your time wisely??

your help is greatly appreciated,

I leave you under Allaah's protection,

PS:: I betcha you missed my questions! :p

-Your sister-

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Well I can't possibly focus on a deadline when its over a month away or something. Is purposefully leaving something to the last opportunity still procrastinating? I dont think so?

You need to be clear about what it is you want to achieve and what its going to take out of you to achieve that exact thing in terms of time and resources. That clarity in purpose will definitely help cut out procrastination. The more the brain knows what the destination is, the easier it will be able to devise workable methods to reach that.

On that note ..Im currently procrastinating from sleep.

Wa-salaam

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
:salam2:

Make a schedule for what you need to accomplish day to day. It helps getting a lot of things done. Try to stick to the schedule.

Each person is different from the other and has his/her ways to get things done. Some need an earful from their parents/siblings, the others just need a watch on their wrist, cellphone reminders, the others need 24-7 policing by guardians/parents.

If you have decent level of self control on yourself, just talk yourself out of delaying it. Tell yourself "I have to do *this* right now". Stand up and leave the activity that keeps you preoccupied. And start doing what you need to do.

Good luck ! and make lots of dua :)

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
The more the brain knows what the destination is, the easier it will be able to devise workable methods to reach that.
sister you are so right!!! you know thats the reason I always freak out before the deadlines come! but its not that easy....because for some odd reason, I leave the assignment in class and look at it an hour or two before class starts :S

BrotherinIslam7, I tried using those planner thingiess, IT NEVER WORKED!! I mean I write down my assignments there, have a set of time for each assignment....and boom,the deadline is here and I am not done YET. Its weird. I don't know what works....I am currently trying to STICK with the planner and give myself some breaks between my school work and other things.

jazaka'Allaah khair for your input!!

PS: sister Fajr.....get to BED now, dont be a procrastinator:p

The_truth

Assalaamu alaikum, I hope this reaches you in the best of health/imaan.

So, how do you handle procrastination??
This might seem like "duuh its common sense" answer but, I am seriously looking for ways to help myself. I am like the biggest procrastinator EVER......but sometimes it seems like its helping because I do well when I am under pressure.

Do any of you go through the same thing, in other words, do any of you procrastinate often??? to the point where you JUST hate it??

if you don't, what do you do to help you handle your time wisely??

your help is greatly appreciated,

I leave you under Allaah's protection,

PS:: I betcha you missed my questions! :p

-Your sister-

Overcoming laziness and Procrastination

One needs to form the will to change this habit and take immediate steps to reach one's goal. Once your intention is sincere and you follow it up with consistent action, trusting in the Lord, success is guaranteed. Allah assures us in the Qur’an: “And those who shall strive for Our Sake, We shall surely guide them unto Our ways.” (Al-`Ankabut: 69).

While combating laziness, the first thing to do is to recognize that like all negative habits we have formed, it is a habit that we have acquired through consistent practice. We persist in it because we find comfort and gain pleasure in it. So we cannot be expected to get rid of it entirely unless and until we learn to link this habit with ugliness, pain and suffering rather than glamorizing it. So, list all the negative aspects and dire consequences associated with laziness. List everything you stand to lose if you were to persist in this habit. Do this as many times as possible until laziness becomes automatically associated with pain and suffering in your consciousness.

Secondly, every time you have a tendency to feel lazy, take whatever steps you can immediately to counter the tendency and nip it in the bud. By doing these things consistently and repeatedly you will be empowered to overcome laziness.

Here are a few more practical steps you can take to fight this all-pervasive habit:

1. Think of and list all the successes you could achieve if you were to shake yourself free of this negative habit.

2. Think of and meditate on the success stories of the great leaders who, through sheer determination, hard work, and trust in Allah, achieved what was thought to be impossible. Think of the success story of the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) who, without hardly any material supports, did what no other person has done. Think of those who have been physically challenged and yet accomplished what others could not do through sheer determination and hard work.

3. List all the positive strengths you have which, even the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) or those who have been physically challenged or those who achieved great feats, did not possess.

4. Until such time that you have overcome laziness, it is important for you to associate with those who are successful or hard working. If you are a student, try to choose a study environment to read or study. Fight the temptation of studying at home until you have succeeded in mastering laziness.

5. Last but not least, start your day by counting the blessings of Allah and thus focusing on your strengths rather than on your weaknesses; and pray to Allah to grant you a day of glory, blessings and success. You may consistently make the following du`a’s:

Allahumma inni asbahtu minka fi ni`matin wa `afiyatin wa sitr fa atimma `alayya ni`mataka wa `afiyataka wa sitraka fi ad-dunya wa al-akhirah

(O Allah! I enjoy this morning Your gift of blessings, well being, and protection, all because of Your sheer favor; so consummate these gifts for me in this world and the next).

Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min al-`ajzi wa al-kasal wa al-jubni wa al-bukhl wa a`udhu bika min munkarati al-akhlaqi wa al-ahwa’

(O Allah! I seek refuge in You from feeling of helplessness, laziness, cowardice and *****rdliness; I also seek refuge in You from all despicable traits and whims).

Allahumma inni as’aluka khayra hadha al-yawmi nasrahau wa fat-hahu wa barakatahu wa a`udhu bika min sharri hadha al-yawmi wa sharri ma ba`dahu

(O Allah! I beg You to grant me the best that this day holds out in terms of success, victory, and blessings; and I seek refuge in You from the worst that this day holds out and the day after).”

Also

“The perfect remedy for procrastination is to nurture sound faith in the manner of the Salaf As-Salih (pious predecessors).

Prior to Islam, they were a people without any sense of human achievement or performance, but once they were exposed to the empowering message of the Qur’an, they became energized and utterly transformed; they shook off their complacency and lethargy, and became peak performers and achievers. Whatever they touched was changed anew through their dynamic faith.

The Qur’an spoke thus about their faith, “Is he - who was once dead and then We revived him (through the message of Islam) and thus We appointed for him a light whereby he walks among people - comparable to one who is steeped in darkness, never able to come out of it?” (Al-An`am: 122)

The remedy for fighting procrastination, therefore, is to nurture such dynamic faith.

Coming to precise tips based on such a vision that one can readily apply in order to empower oneself and shake off the habit of procrastination, let us state the following:

1) Procrastination is a learned habit; habits are formed by repeated acts. So the best way to fight procrastination is to take immediate steps to do the thing one is postponing. So every time one is tempted to procrastinate, one must do whatever it takes to do just the opposite. It may be hard in the beginning, but by repeating it over and over, one learns to break the habit. This process must continue until one has learned the new habit and thus it becomes a second nature.

2) As you rise in the morning put yourself in a positive mind set by counting the blessings of Allah thus emulating the beautiful example of our beloved Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, and praying to Allah to grant you a successful day full of blessings.

3) Try to start your work after Fajr for the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, prayed to Allah, “O Allah, bless my Ummah in their early morning endeavors.”

4) Turn to Allah in supplication and seek His help in fighting sloth, laziness and helplessness through the following prayers (Du`a’s):

Allahumma innee a`dhu bika mina al-‘ajzi wa al-kasal wa al-jubun wa al-bukhl wa ghalabati al-dayni wa qahri al-rrijaal

(O Allah, I seek refuge in You from helplessness, sloth, cowardice, *****rdliness, and burden of debts and domineering men.)

Laa ilaaha illa Allaahu al-`azeem al-haleem, la ilaaha illa Allaahu rabbu al-`arshi al-`azeem, laa ilaaha illa Allaahu rabbu al-ssamaawaati wa al-ardhi wa rabbu al-`arshi al-kareem

(There is no god but Allah, the Glorious and Clement; there is no god but Allah, Lord of the Great Throne; there is no god but Allah, Lord of the heavens and earth and the Noble Throne).”

Taken from Islamonline[/QUOTE]

The_truth

Self-motivation

Do you find that you have a lack of self motivation at times? You can learn a hundred ways to improve your life, but then hesitate to act. Something less important catches your attention, or you just don't feel like doing what you need to do. Even if you are normally a motivated person, there may be times when you have a hard time getting started on an important task.

There is a solution. Actually, there are probably dozens of solutions. Here are six of the best. These are self-motivation techniques that work for others. Try them, and if you find even one or two here that work for you, you'll be on your way.

Six Self Motivation Techniques

1. Find a true interest in what you are doing. If you have no interest at all, it might mean you need to do something else. On the other hand, if it's just a task you dislike, relate it clearly in your mind to the greater goal. I don't particularly like to drive, but I don't have a motivation problem when I am driving to the mountains for a vacation.

2. Create energy. You need some energy for self motivation. Caffeine may help for a while, if it doesn't create other problems for you. You can also exercise and sleep well. Watch out for sugary foods - the "sugar blues" will kill your motivation. When you find energy boosters that work for you, make a list and keep it handy for future use.

3. Talk your way to motivation. This is one of my favorite ways to create energy and motivation. By the time I tell my wife about the article I'm going to write, I'm out of my slump and back at the keyboard. If the task itself is less inspiring, talk about the larger goals it will help you achieve.

4. Stimulate desire. Imagining their potential future motivates many to sign up for get-rich-quick plans. Good salesmen can put you in your imagined dream home in minutes, and you'll feel motivated to do anything to make it real. Why not learn to be your own salesman?

5. Stimulate pain. An effective Nauru-Linguistic Programming technique is to link pain with not acting. This is what happens when you finally stop hitting that snooze button on the alarm because you think you might lose your job. Imagine any bad consequences that may occur if you don't do what you need to do.

6. Start with any small step. I have found that if I commit to raking up one bag of leaves, I soon want to finish the yard work. Training yourself to take any small step towards your goals is a great self motivation technique. Breaking larger goals down into small steps makes this even easier.

These motivation techniques really work, but don't ask me how to get motivated to use them. Anyhow, you already were motivated enough to read this far, so you'll be fine. Oh, and humor is technique number seven. Laughing can overcome that feeling of being overwhelmed that sucks away self motivation.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Most people procrastinate out of fear. You do not do something because you are afraid of the outcome. You are scared you will not do it well. You are sensitive to a negative outcome. People would rather do something at the end so they are not rejected.
We are even that way with our prayers. Welcome to humanity.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

BrotherinIslam7, I tried using those planner thingiess, IT NEVER WORKED!! I mean I write down my assignments there, have a set of time for each assignment....and boom,the deadline is here and I am not done YET. Its weird. I don't know what works....I am currently trying to STICK with the planner and give myself some breaks between my school work and other things.

Using a planner might not be the thing for you. It doesn't work with me either.

How about just putting sticky notes near your study table ? And them amount of time you would need to accomplish them. Be generous with breaks and duration of each activity in the beginning. A demanding to do list will only make you get rid of it.

Ofcourse, you need to internally commit yourself to the task as well. Otherwise the planner/sticky notes just wouldn't work.

Just keep trying and persevere. InshaAllah you will find a way that would get the best out of you.

Janaan

ربنا اغفر لنا ذنوبنا
Staff member
Wa`alaikum Salaam Ukhty!

Aye, another procrastinator, eh?....I was in that *phase* a while back actually. And honestly, the results are never pleasant. But I used to be like that out of laziness.Lol.
At the end though, I found help and it was that "Allaahumma inni a`uudhu bika minal `ajz wal kasl..." du`aa Alhamdulillaah...aside from a sister who was always on my case:) So try this du`aa if that's your reason, but if it's 'fear of the outcome' as sis Aapa said, I suggest you try and convice yourself to take the risk Insha'allah- You might see some changes.
And to be honest, I was never one to make schedules or set goals for myself because I know that'll just make matters worse for me making me more lazier because there are TOO many things that need to get done, so instead I try to just stick to *one* thing/obligation at a time you know. Regardless, I suggest you explain to some/a friend(s) what you're required to do and by when, then use them as your reminder:)...trust me, pushy friends mostly help. I pray that you find a way to solve this Insha'allah.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah. Maa shaa'Allaah this is one thread I wanted to start, but I am sucha procrastinator that I delayed the making of the thread as well. I really look forward to hearing more advices on helping someone NOT to procrastinate.

I personally think I am the from amongst the worst of procrastinators! I procrastinate things till like 4-5 hours before deadlines :| I am so bad that I go to sleep in peace whilst I know for a fact that I got a very important coursework to hand in the afternoon. And I have tried "Naw333"'s advice, and I give you my word, it doesn't work at all, it only helps you procrastinate things more.

I don't know what the reason is, but its just that I get distracted by things so easily, that I may end up doing something else (other than my coursework) and next thing you know is that it is late in the night and I want to sleep.

I think its because I find university so dry! Cos alhamdulillaah I do not really procrastinate on other things; like arabic classes, islaam related classes etc. I would really appreciate everyone's advice on this matter, since I do want to get that first in my degree *smile*.

And also a question: Is what I am doing really procrastination??? Why am I not in pressure even one hour before my deadline and I still got half my coursework to do :S? Perhaps I am abnormal lol? I would see brothers stressing over me completing my coursework, more than I do :|

Jazakillaah Khairaa sister for opening this thread

Wassalaamu `alaykkum

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Assalamu'alaykum,

I personally think I am the from amongst the worst of procrastinators! I procrastinate things till like 4-5 hours before deadlines :| I am so bad that I go to sleep in peace whilst I know for a fact that I got a very important coursework to hand in the afternoon. And I have tried "Naw333"'s advice, and I give you my word, it doesn't work at all, it only helps you procrastinate things more.

I don't know what the reason is, but its just that I get distracted by things so easily, that I may end up doing something else (other than my coursework) and next thing you know is that it is late in the night and I want to sleep.

Have you ever done a coursework on time had it printed and all done and all you have to do is stroll in on hand in date and drop it in the box? Whilst everyone around you is scrambling around with printers and cover sheets etc etc ..its a great feeling, and hopefully an addictive one? So try it.

I have some coursework in tomorrow, the first one for this term and yeh I finished it Saturday, I was surprised with myself. Started it last Wednesday.
I think its because I find university so dry! Cos alhamdulillaah I do not really procrastinate on other things; like arabic classes, islaam related classes etc. I would really appreciate everyone's advice on this matter, since I do want to get that first in my degree *smile*.
..imagine getting a 2.1 ..?! Oh the horror. (the thought of NOT getting a first is probably my biggest motivation this year)

And also a question: Is what I am doing really procrastination???
Yes.

What Aapa posted is very true too.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Assalamu'alaykum,

Have you ever done a coursework on time had it printed and all done and all you have to do is stroll in on hand in date and drop it in the box? Whilst everyone around you is scrambling around with printers and cover sheets etc etc ..its a great feeling, and hopefully an addictive one? So try it.

Wa `alaykkum salaam wa rahmatullaah, I have a few times, alhamdulillaah. Its just that, I always got this thing at the back of my head "Its only 10% of 30% of your second year (which is only 30% of the entire degree) Taariq, don't worry", and thus I end up not giving a monkies about my C/W. (Yes, I know its bad)

I have some coursework in tomorrow, the first one for this term and yeh I finished it Saturday, I was surprised with myself. Started it last Wednesday.

You don't understand how happy I would be to be in sucha situation, again, the thought of that still doesn't motivate me to work :|

..imagine getting a 2.1 ..?! Oh the horror. (the thought of NOT getting a first is probably my biggest motivation this year)

And at times I think, "After all 2.1 ain't that bad", which just puts me off! Its worse when I see brothers with 2.2 get jobs etc, and I am like "2.2 should be fine inshaa'Allaah!", althought I still want to get a first :|

Jazakillaah Khairaa for the advice though

P.S Just for the record, I don't attend my lectures either. It just adds to the mess!

Wassalaamu `alaykkum

ProudToBeaMuslim

Oh wow, this is the thread to be in!
I think you might be tired of hearing that yet another person here is a procrastinater. And even this person wanted to post a thread for advice on the matter. And that I don't know a greater procrastinater than myself.

I have brother Thariq's exact symptoms.
But the funny part is, I wasnt always like that.....upto 9th Grade, I was among the top 5 students Alhamdulillah....But then, I don't know how exactly it happened, but gradually, the absent mindedness caught up... my 98s turned to 80s and in 10th grade, it became 70s, in 11th, I somehow managed to pass through Alhamdulillah, and here I am now in 12th grade, awaiting my very important board exams, and surviving by the grace of Allah.

Just like the brother mentioned, I have no problem in trying to excel in Islamic subjects, and its not that I find the classes at school un-interesting either, infact, I like listening in class, and I just have this whole study plan for home designed when I am at school.
But when I reach home, I try, I may be able to extend it for a week or so, but then, the old me slips right back in. I am still making Dua that Allah cures me of it, I haven't given up...

The thing is, in 12th Grade, we don't see immediate results...the portion is so vast that if you suddenly decide to work your 100% for just a week, by the time the exams approach, the 100% for the week is just not enough to maybe even pass!

I am not able to find spirituality in studying wordly subjects. Studying Islam automatically creates a feeling of contentment in our minds.....But trying to find the same in school subjects is hard.

I've asked a scholar about this, and he said that our Muslim Ummah needs more Doctors and Engineers and people who are educated in the worldy matters as well as in the matters of the Deen.

We should study with the intention that we are doing this for the upliftment of the Ummah, which in turn, is for the sake of Allah.
There are many other spiritual reasons for which we can study, such as, pleasing your parents, and in turn pleasing Allah.

Trying to acquire knowledge so that you can teach your Kids ( esp. for women), in turn pleasing Allah...there are many more...

But I guess, my problem is, I am not seeing the immediate result...I am not able to teach my Kids right now (because I dont have any) ....I am not able to work as an engineer, somehow strengthening the Ummah with my knowledge, andddd I haven't written that perfect exam which will bring a smile on the face of my dear parents.

Wheras with Islamic Knowledge, the effect is immediate...I can feel my Iman go up high,...I can understand, I can implement immediately.. Alhamdulillah.

I guess I know my problem and It's solution. Writing this out helped me alot....perhaps this was an answer to my dua....Brothers and Sisters, do make Dua for us...It's a real struggle...

P.S.
My father said: "Studying is easy. Not studying is the difficult part."

IHearIslam

make dua 4 ma finals
Assalamu alaikum,

OMG!! I am SOOOO GLAD to know that I am NOT alone :D phew :p

I am the same as you guys, Islamic studies (even though I dont have enough:() are really easy and I am more focused on them, but school stuff is like *arrrrrg!! dont wanna do ya!!*

Oh Naw333, THAT DOES NOT work for me!! I tried it too. The thing is, if I am studying with someone, in two minutes I start talking :lol: and then I forget about studying :S

BrotherinIslam7, jazaka'Allaah khair, ima try the sticky notes too.
you know people say "where there is a will, there is a way" maybe we JUST DONt HAVE THE WILL.

Sister Appa, for me it has nothing to do with fear, I basically DONT care about school :p I am not scared of the outcome, in fact I'd like to know the outcome as fast as it could come.......I think I just dont have a heart for school stuff anymore

Oh well, jazaka'Allaah khair everyone, insha'Allaah I'll read through everything and form a plan!!! :D

samiha

---------
Staff member

Is it ironic or just plain sad that I'm currently procrastinating while writing this?

What I've found in general to beat procrastination is often just determination and willpower. Because of course the thing with it is, like any other habit once you fall into it, you take it as a comfort zone and don't really work at getting yourself out of it. It's easy to say, "Oh I'm a procrastinator... I wish I wasn't" but not at easy backing up those last words with actions.

The problem becomes that you become satisfied with your lot in life, take a look at the people who always finish early and think they were born that way. Heredity is amazing isn't it? Some of us just got the short end of the stick when it came to being on time. Of course not! The first step I've found for getting yourself out of procrastination is not acknowledging the problem, but resolving to do something about it.

And often to back up this resolve, you have to have clear cut goals and ideas of what you want to achieve. One time book I read recommended starting off by creating a list of all your priorities by the end of this year (or in this case maybe the next). You might be surprised to find out how unfocused we are about the things we want to do or achieve. Then take each goal and prioritize from the most important to the least, and then for the most important tasks - list what you have to do to get there.

When you have your goals in writing, it becomes much more concrete and allows you to go back to it and revise about "Why I'm doing this?" Because most of us procrastinate not on things we like - but the things we dislike or dont have much interest in.

Also then create a list for your day, and what you want to achieve and stick to it. Ukhti you said planners don't work, I have that same problem too. Because I love just writing down what I should do, and then never looking at it again until the deadline is past. Instead of planning the "should do's" maybe it would be better and more prudent to keep a list of "will do now" in a place where you can see it and are accessible to it.

Some tips I've found to stick to the tasks:

1. Take the hardest thing first. The earlier you do what you don't like, you'll feel relieved for the rest of the day knowing it's done and over with. This quote made me laugh at first, but then I realized it was quite true:

“Eat a live frog every morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” -Mark Twain

2. Appreciate and remember past achievements. Our bodies have a hardwire for appreciating achievement, when we do well, are successful or have accomplished something particularly difficult we get an endorphin rush in our system, a bubbly little natural opiate that makes you feel good about yourself. Remember and recall those times, and even imagine that feeling you'll get at the completion of your task - before you begin it!

3. Give yourself time to enjoy completion of the task. Be it through a break, a personal award. Something which drives you on. Long term goals might give motivation to start, but desiring these small rewards motivates a person to completion of the act.

4. Don't give yourself the chance to be distracted! It's been said that people who succeed in making the most of their time, take one thing at a time. There was a period when I came thinking, "Well I can finish this and this together at the same time, two birds one stone voila!" Well it doesnt quite work that way, brain studies have shown that at most the brain can successfully multi-task between two things, after that each action we add to it actually makes us less and less productive. So, having TTI open, MSN/YM, the report you have to write etc - altogether, isn't going to get the work done! (Note to self here!)

5. Remove clutter from your area. The more things you have around your area, the harder it will be to focus. Keep only the basic needs for that particular work and remove all other obstacles. If however you know you'll get up for a snack etc, keep those handy as well so that on the way to getting that snack the fifty million other things out there don't distract you.

6. Give yourself uninterrupted time. Research has shown that 1 hour of pure uninterrupted time may equal or be greater to the work done in 3 hours of other time. So grant yourself chunks of time where you commit yourself to what you are doing, without outside interruption.

7. Positive self talk. As weird as this might seem, yes it does help. Talk to yourself and encourage yourself. Like Aapa quite rightly said, fear does a lot of people in. Tell yourself out loud that you can do this, or in retrospect even try convincing yourself that you like what you are doing - and try to believe it! Say for instance you don't like math tell yourself you like it, instead of always being on the negative. Repeat it and try to enforce it in your mind, in psychology the first rule of the mind is stated as, "What you believe becomes reality." And when you say things out, your subconscious part of your brain picks it up and in essence, said enough times you can brainwash yourself!

I also refer this to waking up at night for Qiyaam ul-Layl, or even staying awake after Fajr… personally I’m still working on it, I don’t want to give an impression otherwise, however what I’ve changed now is to stop saying, “I’m not a morning person” … as long as you say that and believe it – you never will become a morning person! You have to give leave to yourself to believe otherwise of yourself.

And 'sides, tell yourself, "I'm a Muslim, of course I can do it :inshallah: !" It's not arrogance, but confidence. Our predecessors set a shining example, following in their footsteps we should have the confidence in our Imaan and abilities and strive our utmost in our actions.

8. Group similar tasks together. If you have certain chores or menial and similar tasks, do them at the same time. The laws of efficiency states that the more you do of a certain thing at a time, the quicker you get at it: as in the amount of time you take doing it the first time, will be drastically cut down by the end. If however you keep going back to it, you basically have to start from the ground up again.

9. Don’t look at past failures. The past is the past. Too many of us wallow in it and that becomes a crutch to our future. “Oh I’ve never managed to in the past, why should now be any different?” Just because something has been one way, it doesn’t mean it has to stay that way. Allaah gave us this moment, right now to be able to change.

10. Tell yourself to “Do it now.” Not in 5 minutes, not right after you finish chatting with so and so, but right at this instant. This bit doesn’t feel nice, and its where all the above points come together. When you have a mode of work, this will make it easier, coupled with the determination to change. But of course we still like loopholes. I don’t take myself out of this subhanAllaah, it’s almost laughable sometimes how accomplished I feel at creating a well written out list… and then somehow envision in my mind that by doing so my work will get done. Well, but the end of the day the outcome is obvious and telling.

11. Recover quickly. Yeah, you’re going to ultimately mess up something on your list, something will come up, something will go wrong – this is the Dunya, what do you expect? But what’s important from this is saving recovery time.

If you’ve ever played in a sport, you’ll recognize the value a few seconds might have. In life too, if you get waylaid by something, try to recover in the shortest amount of time possible. Recall your goals and what you started out to do, if people come in the way and you know you have to finish a task, tell them so (and thereby remind yourself) that you need to get back to work. When you give value to your time, other people will as well.

I’m not saying be rude, but if you have certain priorities don’t just push them back giving yourself the ‘people’ excuse. This actually reminds me of a story of Shaykh al-Albani rahimahullaah, maybe I’ll find it and post it properly next time inshaAllaah.

12. Stick with it till the end. Isn’t there a certain glory in putting yourself out in every effort and accomplishing what you set out to do? Well, unfortunately those bubbly endorphins that bring the greatest euphoria only come when you actually complete the task. So, if you keep going through the day, reach your goals, you get one hit after another, making you more happy and self-satisfied, knowing you knew you could do it, and yeah – you did it. It’s different when you know you just did it because it was due tomorrow and you had no other choice.

12. Ask, “What is the most valuable use of my time right now?” I put this last on my list, because it’s a question every Muslim must ask in their lives. It’s very very important for us to not be negligent with our time; I struggle myself, so this first to myself before anyone else. And I too have the same feelings, that my most valuable thing would be to learn Islaam, or something related to its sciences, over writing a paper on science in the Romantic Era … Assuredly this is true, but in our lives we’ll come across many things we’ll need or be required to do, and we have to give ourselves the resolve to follow through on them.

Most of these were from a book I read recently. The author wasn’t a Muslim, but many of the principles while I was reading it struck me – since in essence Islaam calls for the same thing. These were the ones that influence me the most, and what I still work on doing. I’m having this problem at the moment that more points keep popping up in my mind as I write this, but if I make this any longer I don’t even know if it’ll fit!

In any case these are my 25 cents, but of course with it all do remember to make Du’a and keep trying. If you don’t make it once, as the saying goes, “Try and try again!”

I’m still working with this too, so alhamdulillaah this is a very good thread and others’ views on what they do helps too. JazaakumAllaahu khayran

May Allaah aid us all in the use of our time and put benefit therein! Ameen

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

Sister Samiha has really put some time in her list (might be the best thing she has accomplished while procrastinating. Just Kidding !).. InshaAllah it will help others.

I just wanted to point out that #1 might not work with a few people (especially me). It's called 'getting in to the zone'. We start with easier tasks at first and get into the mood to work and when we are 'in the zone', we tackle the major/hardest part that we need to accomplish. Taking the hard work at first can scare us off from accomplishing anything. (Sad people we are, I tell you =P)

All of the other points are really good. #11 works quite well especially if you procrastinate by spending hours infront of the computer on TTI (not like it's a secret !). Just telling yourself to 'Stand up, close the computer and start doing the next task' works quite well. It also helps to wash your face if you have spend long hours infront of the computer.

It's good to have conversations and threads like these, InshaAllah we can benefit from eachother's experiences.

Wasalaamalaykum