Beard Between Salaf and Khalaf!

Idris16

Note: I am not finished!

CHAPTER 1
INTRODUCTION
Definition
The Arabic word for beard is lihyah. It derives from lahy (jaw) and lahyan (the two jaws). Thus, a beard is defined as the hair that grows on the cheeks and jaws- [Al-Qamus ul-Muhit by al-Fayruzabadi, and Lisan ul-Arab by Ibn Manzur]. It includes the hair that grows on the temples, underneath the lower lip, the hair of the chin, and the hair that grows on the lower side of the jaws.

Ruling

Growing the beard is wajib (mandatory) for all males who are capable of doing so. As will be presented below, there is ample evidence for this in the
Sunnah, and it is the unanimous opinion of the ‘ulama’ of Islam.

Position of the Scholars

All the ‘ulama’ (scholars) of as-Salaf us-Salih (the Righteous early Muslims),
including the Four Imams, agree that shaving the beard is haram
(prohibited).
They consider shaving it an impermissible mutilation, as has been reported from Umar Bin Abdul Aziz- [At-Tarikh by Ibn Asakir]. They considered the man who shaved his beard effeminate. Many of them would not accept his testimony or allow him to lead the prayers.

THE HANAFIS

According to the Hanafis:​

“It is prohibited for a man to cut his beard ... as for
cutting it shorter than a fist-length - as is done by
some people from the west and by the effeminate men
- no one permits this. And as for shaving it completely,
it is the doing of the Indian Jews and the Persian
Magians” [Persian Magians-Followers of an old religion, possibly
the same as the "Zoroastrians"] [Ad-Durr ul-Mukhtar].

Ibn-Abidayn​
said:​

“It is prohibited for a man to cut his beard.”​
(Radd ul-Muhtar​
[2:418])​

THE MALIKIS

According to the Malikis:​

“Shaving the beard is prohibited, as is cutting it if it
causes a (clear) mutilation. But if it becomes oversized,
and if cutting it would not appear as a mutilation, then
it may be cut; but that would be disliked and contrary
to that which is better.” [Sharh ur-Risalah by Abu al-Hasan,
and the commentary on it by al-Adwi]

Al-`Adwi said:​

“It has been reported from Malik that he hated shaving
anything under the jaws, until he said, ‘It is from the
doing of the Magians.’ And it is prohibited to remove
the hair of the beard.” [Sharh ur-Risalah by Abu al-Hasan,
and the commentary on it by al-Adwi (2:411)]

Ibn Abd al-Barr said:​

“It is prohibited to shave the beard, and it is not done
except by effeminate men.”[At-Tamhid]

THE SHAFI’IS​

As for the Shafi’is, al-Imam ash-Shafi’i has expressed that it is prohibited to shave the beard [al-Umm].
Also, al-Athru’i said,

“The correct position is that it is prohibited to totally shave the beard without a (medical) problem with it.”​
[Sharh ul-Ubab].​

THE HANBALIS

The Hanbali's agree without exception that it is prohibited to shave the beard [Al-Insaf, Sharh ul-Muntaha, etc.].

Ibn Taymiyyah stated:

“It is prohibited to shave the beard.” [Al-Ikhtiyarat
ul-Ilmiyyah (p.6)]

As-Saffarini said:​

“It is agreed in our mathhab that it is prohibited to
shave the beard.” [Ghitha ul-Albab (1:376)].

IBN HAZM​

Ibn Hazm al-Andalusi said:

“All of the scholars agree that shaving the beard is a
form of mutilation, and is prohibited.”
[Maratib ul-Ijma'
(p.157), and al-Muhalla (2:189)]

IBN TAYMIYYAH

Shaykh ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said:​

“Because of the authentic hadiths, it is prohibited to
shave the beard, and no one has ever permitted it.”​

CONTEMPORARY SCHOLARS

The great scholars of our time have expressed that it is prohibited to shave
the beard or cut it short. Among those are Ali Mahfuz, Muhammad Nasir
ud-Din al-Albani, Abd ul-Aziz Bin Baz, al-Kandahlawi, Abu Bakr al-Jaza’iri,
Ismail al-Ansari, and many others.

Extent of the Beard

The commands of the Prophet ! clearly indicate that the beard should be
completely spared. Furthermore, the Prophet ! and his companions had full
and large beards.

There are no authentic reports indicating that the Prophet ! trimmed his
beard. However, there are authentic reports from a number of the sahabah -
particularly, Ibn-Umar, Abu Hurayrah, and Ibn-Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them all), indicating that they used to cut what extended beyond a fist-length.

There are similar reports as well from a number of the salaf such as Ibrahim
an-Nakhi, Malik, and Ahmad. [Several such authentic reports are compiled by
al-Albani in ad-Da’ifah (following hadith no. 2355)]

When ‘Abdullah bin Umar (may Allah be pleased with them both), went for Hajj or Umrah, he used to hold his beard with his fist and cut whatever extended beyond his fist. [Al-Bukhari]
Thus, the general command of sparing the beard should be restricted to the
understanding and practice of the sahabah, and its length below the chin should not exceed a man's fist.​

Idris16

Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

WRONGS OF SHAVING THE BEARD

Shaving the beard results in a series of Islamic violations, among which are
the following:

1.Disobedience to Allah

Shaving the beard is an act of disobedience to Allah, as is expressed in the
words of His Messenger!

Abu Hurayrah "reported that the ruler of Yemen, appointed by the Persian emperor Kisra, sent two envoys to the Messenger !. When they came into his presence,he noticed that they had shaved their beards and let their moustaches grow big. Hating their ugly appearance, he turned his face away and said, “Woe be to you, who told you to do so?” They replied: “Our lord (Kisra) did!” The Messenger ! responded: “But my Lord, exalted and glorified be He, has commanded me to spare my beard and trim my moustaches.” [Recorded by Ibn Jarir at-Tabari, Ibn Sa’d, and Ibn Bishran. Verified to be hasan (good) by al-Albani (Fiqh us-Sirah by al-Ghazali p. 359)]

2. Disobedience to the Messenger

Shaving the beard is an act of disobedience to the Messenger ! who
commanded the men to spare their beards in many hadiths. Ibn Umar (may
Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger ! said:
“Closely trim the moustaches, and spare the beard.”
[Al-Bukhari, Muslim and others]. Obeying the Messenger ! is equivalent to obeying Allah:“He who obeys the Messenger has obeyed Allah; and as for those who turn away: We have not sent you as a guardian over them.” [An-Nisa 4:80]

3. Deviation from the Guidance of the Messenger​

There is no doubt that Allah’s Messenger is the best example of a man, both
in his appearance and actions. Allah says: “There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern - for anyone whose hope is
in Allah and the Last Day, and who remembers Allah often.”[An-Nisa' 4:80]
And Jabir " reported that Allah's Messenger said: “Verily, the best guidance is Muhammad's guidance.” [Recorded by Muslim]

Jabir Bin Samurah " reported that Allah's Messenger :saw: had a large beard
[Recorded by Muslim]. Shaving the beard clearly exhibits a deviation from his
appearance and guidance.

4. Deviation from the Way of Believers

One must strive to follow the ways of the believers and identify with them.
This is an obligation expressed by Allah: “Whoever opposes the Messenger, after guidance has become clear to him, and follows other than the way
of the ‘Believers’, We will give him what he has chosen and let him into Hell: What an evil destination!”[an-Nisa 4:115]

Note: The description ‘Believers’ in the ayah applies first and foremost to the Sahabah [the Prophet's companions-May Allah be pleased with them all] All of the prophets (alaihis-salaam), the Sahabah (the Prophet's
companions), the great ‘ulama’, and the righteous Salaf (early Muslims) of
this Ummah (Nation) grew their beards. There is no report of a single one of
them selectively shaving his beard.
-For example, Allah tells us that Harun
(alaihis-salaam) addressed his brother Musa (alaihis-salaam) as follows:

He said, “O son of my mother! Do not hold me by my
beard or head.” [Ta-Ha 20:94]

Furthermore, there are authentic reports indicating that the Rightly Guided
Successors, as well as other sahabah and tabi'un had large beards. Abu Bakr
" had a thick beard
[Qut ul-Qulub 4:9], Umar " had a big beard [Al-Isabah 2:511], Uthman had a large beard [Al-Isabah 2:455], and Ali's beard was so wide as to span the distance between his shoulders [At-Tabaqat (3:25) by Ibn Sa’d], Therefore, shaving the beard exhibits a clear deviation from the way of the believers.

5. Imitation of the Disbelievers

The Muslims have been commanded to be different and distinct from the
disbelievers. In Surat ul-Fatihah, we are commanded to ask Allah to guide us
away from the ways of the disbelievers: “Guide us to the Straight Path - The path of those upon whom You have bestowed Your favor, not of
those who have earned Your anger, nor of those who are astray.”[Al-Fatihah 1:6~7]

Also, Allah prohibits His Messenger :saw: from following the desires of the
ignorant. And indeed, anyone who is not on the True Guidance is ignorant.
Allah says: “Do not follow the whims of those who have no
knowledge (of Islam).” [Al-Jathiyah 45:18]

The Prophet :saw: has indicated that a person who imitates a certain people will be counted (in Islam) as being one of them. Ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger :saw: said:
“I have been sent, close to the Last Hour, with the sword (to fight for the truth) - until Allah is worshipped alone without partners. My sustenance has been allotted under the shade of my spear. Humility and defeat have
been allocated to whoever strays from my command. And
whoever imitates a people is one of them.”
[Recorded by Abu Dawud and others. Verifies to be authentic by al-Albani (Irwa ulghalil
no. 1269)]

How terrible it would be for a person whom Allah has favored with Islam to find himself resurrected on the Day of Judgment among non-Muslims - simply because he liked to imitate them. In several hadiths, Allah's Messenger ! has linked sparing the beard to being different from the followers of other religions. Abu Hurayrah " reported that the Prophet :saw: said: “Cut the moustaches and grow your beards. Be different from the ‘Magians’.”[Recorded by Muslim and Others] Note: ‘Magians’ - Followers of an ancient Persian religion. Abu Umamah reported that Allah's Messenger :saw: said: “Cut your moustaches and leave your beards alone. Be different from the people of the scripture.” [Recorded by Muslim] Ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with them) reported that Allah's Messenger :saw: said: “Be different from the ‘mushrikin’; trim your moustaches and save your beards.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim] Note: ‘mushrikin’ - Those who join others with Allah in worship.
Therefore, shaving the beard is an act of imitation of the disbelievers, and should be extremely abhorred. It conflicts with many fundamentals of Islam, and yet many Muslim men do it in compliance with the practices of the disbelievers! Verily, Allah's Messenger :saw: has foretold the truth, as was reported by Abu Said al-Khudri that he :saw:, said: “You will follow the example of those who preceded you, hand-span for hand-span, and arm-length for arm-length. Even if they entered into a lizard's hole, you would surely enter it!” He ! was asked, “Do you mean the Jews and Christians?” He replied, “Who else are the (previous) people?” [Recorded by al-Bukhari, Muslim and others].

Idris16

6. Changing Allah's Creation Without Permission​

Except for cases that are expressly indicated in Islam, it is prohibited to change the way that Allah has created things. Changing Allah's creation without permission involves obeying Satan who, as Allah tells us, had said: “They actually call upon none but rebellious Satan, whom Allah has cursed. And he had said (to Allah), “I will surely take from among Your servants a specific portion. I will mislead them, give them false promises, command them so they will slit the ears of cattle, and command them so they will change the
creation of Allah.” Certainly, whoever takes Satan as an ally instead of Allah is in tremendous loss.” [an-Nisa 4:117~119] Allah has honored the human beings and fashioned them in the best form:

“Verily, We have created the human being in the best of stature.” [At-Tin 95:4]

Changing this without permission is indeed an act of great atrocity and
deviation that deserves punishment. The Messenger ! has declared that the women who change what Allah has
created (such as removing their facial hair, wearing wigs, filing their teeth, or
tattooing their bodies) seeking by that to improve their appearance, are
accursed by Allah. Ibn Mas'ud " reported that Allah's Messenger ! said:
“Allah curses those (women) who tattoo (for others) and
those who get tattoos, those who pluck the facial hair (for others) and those who have their facial hair plucked, those who connect their hair with other (fake) hair, and those who file their teeth for beauty - they all change Allah's creation.” [al-Bukhari and Muslim] This hadith mentions women in particular because they normally seek to beautify themselves more than men. But the warning applies to both genders, because the condition for the curse is declared: changing Allah's creation. Thus the curse applies to anyone who satisfies such condition. Shaving the beard falls under this warning, as it is much worse than ‘nams’ - (removal of facial hair) practiced by some women.

At-Tahanawi said:

“It is established that changing Allah's creation is a cause for the curse, and that whatever Allah's Messenger ! prohibits is prohibited by Allah.” [Bayan ul-
Quran] Waliyy Ullah ad-Dahlawi said: “Cutting it is the way of the Magians, and involves changing Allah's creation.” [Bayan ul-Quran]

7. Imitation of Women​

The beard presents a major distinction between men and women. Shaving it
removes this distinction, and is thus a means of imitating women. Any act
that involves imitation of the opposite gender makes a person liable for the
curse of Allah and His Messenger !. Ibn Abbas (may Allah be pleased with them), reported: “Allah's Messenger ! has cursed the men who imitate
the women; and the women who imitate the men.” [Recorded by al-Bukhari and others]. Al-Kandahlawi said: “No one can have doubt that complete imitation of women arises from shaving the beard. This imitation is
stronger than that of imitating their clothing and other matters, because the beard is the foremost and greatest distinction between men and women. This is possible to observe by all people, and is not denied except by one who wants to deceive himself, follow his whims, and be effeminate after Allah has favored him with the good appearance of a man.” [Wujub i’fa il-Lihyah
31-32].

8. Contradicting the Pure Fitrah​

The Messenger ! indicates that a child is born with a pure nature, which may
subsequently be blurred by self-indulgence or unfavorable environmental
influence. Abu Hurayrah and al-Aswad Bin Sari reported that Allah's
Messenger ! said: “Every child is born with the pure fitrah (nature) - until
he becomes able to express himself. It is his parents who then turn him into a Jew, a Christian, a Magian, or a pagan.” [al-Bukhari and Muslim] Furthermore, Allah's Messenger ! mentioned ten qualities as indicative of a good, clean nature. Two of these qualities are to trim the moustaches and to grow the beard. A’ishah " reported that Allah's Messenger ! said: “There are ten qualities of fitrah: trimming the mustaches, sparing the beard, siwak (brushing the teeth), inhaling water (to clean the nose) [and rinsing the
mouth], cutting the nails, washing the finger knuckles, plucking the armpit hair, shaving the pubic hair, washing the private parts with water, [and circumcision].” [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Ahmad, Ibn Abi Shaybah, and others.

The part between square brackets is not in Muslim (Sahah ul-Jami `no. 2222)]
This fitrah never changes with time:
Allah says: “The pure nature according to which Allah has created the people. There is no change in Allah's creation.” [ar-Rum 30:30]

In the footsteps of the disbelievers, many Muslims fitrah is now very
deformed. They find a clean-shaven man more handsome and masculine than
one with a beard - exactly the opposite to what the Messenger ! declared in
the above hadith!

9. Ridiculing the Din​

With the deformed fitrah that many contemporary Muslims have, they
approve of the ways of the disbelievers and disapprove of the guidance of
Allah's Messenger !! They adorn themselves with closely shaved beards, and
are ashamed of attending important functions or meetings with even a slight
beard. They admire the shiny look of a clean shaved man, and congratulate
one who just had a nice shave! They command their relatives, children, and
subordinates to shave their beards, declaring that the beard is a sign of being
messy, backward, and lazy! They ridicule the beard and anyone who grows it!

By doing this, they redicule an established part of the religion of Islam, which is a major sin. If they do not know that, they are most ignorant about their din, and if they do it knowingly, they could fall into a definite act of kufr (disbelief) - in Allah we seek refuge.

[For More Read It Here: http://www.kalamullah.com/Books/beard.pdf

Idris16

[YT]xP2Hd2RLIq0[/YT]

Is the Beard Fard or Sunnah?

Sheikh Mus`ad Anwar Explains the unanimous agreement of the Sahaba, Tabi`een, Atba`ut-Tabi`een, Imams, and scholars, both classical and contemporary that the beard is an obligation upon every Muslim man who can grow it, and that shaving it is absolutely Haram.

The Sheikh mentions the opinions of all 4 Madhabs - Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi`ee, and Hanbali, as well as the opinion of the Dhahirees, including Ibn Hazm. He also quotes Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah, Abu Hamid Al-Ghazzali, Sheikh Al-Albany, Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, Sheikh Al-Sha`rawy, and even more. This, of course, is only in addition to the authentic evidences from the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

The beard is the beauty of a man, when have you see a lion without its mane? Even a greek philosopher once said: there are only 2 types of people without beards in the world, women and boys. And he was a kafir!

Now Do You Dare Say It's A SUNNAH?​

MohammedMaksudul

May Allah Forgive us
[YT]xP2Hd2RLIq0[/YT]

Is the Beard Fard or Sunnah?

Sheikh Mus`ad Anwar Explains the unanimous agreement of the Sahaba, Tabi`een, Atba`ut-Tabi`een, Imams, and scholars, both classical and contemporary that the beard is an obligation upon every Muslim man who can grow it, and that shaving it is absolutely Haram.

The Sheikh mentions the opinions of all 4 Madhabs - Hanafi, Maliki, Shafi`ee, and Hanbali, as well as the opinion of the Dhahirees, including Ibn Hazm. He also quotes Sheikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah, Abu Hamid Al-Ghazzali, Sheikh Al-Albany, Sheikh Ibn Uthaymeen, Sheikh Al-Sha`rawy, and even more. This, of course, is only in addition to the authentic evidences from the Qur'an and the Sunnah.

The beard is the beauty of a man, when have you see a lion without its mane? Even a greek philosopher once said: there are only 2 types of people without beards in the world, women and boys. And he was a kafir!

Now Do You Dare Say It's A SUNNAH?​

SubhanAllah, I love your post brother!!

ansari

STRANGER...
The Beard Between the Salaf and the Khalaf​

beard.gif
Download

steelieboy

Excellent Book!!

Subhan Allah! I was introduced to that book a few years ago and was able to buy it about a year ago. Very beneficial! Sometimes I have a love hate relationship with my beard. Living in the U.S, i'm always getting comments from family and friends, stares from people in the street and at the workplace. Many is the time that I feel like shaving, but let me tell you that it became easier for me when I started to stay around the Brothers at my Masjid who adhere to the sunnah. Truly the believers support one another! Also books like the above mentioned 'Beard difference between the Salaf and Khalaf' with all of its proofs in the form of Ayah and Hadiths strengthens my eaman. A full beard is definitely handsome! The letter to employers at the end of the book is also very helpful.

Assalamu Alaikum WaRahmatullah Wa Barakatuhu

Hassan

Laa ilaha ilaa Allah
Staff member
MashaAllah. My beard is now three fingers long, it grows that last little bit so very slowly