Are any sins "unforgivable"?

alf2

Islam is a way of life
I've heard from many different people, that different sins are unforgivable. Including but not limited to:

* Adultry
* Shirk
* Wearing pants below the ankles for men, lol.
* Denying Allah

...and more.

Can someone tell me IF there is a sin which is unforgivable?

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum

All sins are forgivable except for Shirk sister. Denying Allaah is a type of disbelief, and disbelief also constitutes shirk. The other sins are punishable, one by death (adultery) and the other with threat of the fire (dragging pants below ankles in the case of men). Allaah says,

"Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin."
[An-Nisâ' 4:48]

kayleigh

This is sort of related to what alf is asking: I heard a story of how a woman came to Muhammad to confess adultery and he said God forgave her and turned her away. She kept returning and on the second or third time he had her put to death. Not because of adultery, but because she did not accept God's forgiveness. Is this true, and if so does anyone know of a source for him? It's not exactly something you could easily google lol

alf2

Islam is a way of life
This is sort of related to what alf is asking: I heard a story of how a woman came to Muhammad to confess adultery and he said God forgave her and turned her away. She kept returning and on the second or third time he had her put to death. Not because of adultery, but because she did not accept God's forgiveness. Is this true, and if so does anyone know of a source for him? It's not exactly something you could easily google lol

You should make a thread, this intrigues me....

canab1973

So if someone does shirk but he repented and believed in Allah he is not forgiven and will be doomed?

:salam2: my dear sister or brother. If someone commit a shirk and repent to Allah and do good deeds, Allah will forgive this person`s sins. the point is, if they die while worshiping other than Allah subhanah wata`ala. There is lots of people who used worship idols or something else, but when they become Muslims, they were the best examples and best Muslims:ma:

ilyas_eh

Used to be active here!
So if someone does shirk but he repented and believed in Allah he is not forgiven and will be doomed?

most of our shahabas were polytheist before embracing islam...

so i think that cannot be the case if someone sincerely repents...

wallahu 'aalam.

salaam

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

This was the hadith I was making reference. I can not recall where I read the commentary on the ahadiths regarding this woman. I find the following words of the Prophet ( may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, some of the most compassionate : Have you found any repentance better than this that she sacr ficed her life for Allah, the Majestic?

Book 017, Number 4205:
Sulaiman b. Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Ma, iz b. Malik came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said to him: Messenger of Allah, purify me, whereupon he said: Woe be upon you, go back, ask forgiveness of Allah and turn to Him in repentance. He (the narrator) said that he went back not far, then came and said: Allah's Messenger, purify me. whereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Woe be upon you, go back and ask forgiveness of Allah and turn to Him in repentance. He (the narrator) said that he went back not far, when he came and said: Allah's Messenger, purify me. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) said as he had said before. When it was the fourth time, Allah's Messenger (may, peace be upon him) said: From what am I to purify you? He said: From adultery, Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) asked if he had been mad. He was informed that he was not mad. He said: Has he drunk wine? A person stood up and smelt his breath but noticed no smell of wine. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Have you committed adultery? He said: Yes. He made pronouncement about him and he was stoned to death. The people had been (divided) into two groups about him (Ma'iz). One of them said: He has been undone for his sins had encompassed him, whereas another said: There is no repentance more excellent than the repentance of Ma'iz, for he came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and placing his hand in his (in the Holy Prophet's) hand said: Kill me with stones. (This controversy about Ma'iz) remained for two or three days. Then came Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) to them (his Companions) as they were sitting. He greeted them with salutation and then sat down and said: Ask forgiveness for Ma'iz b. Malik. They said: May Allah forgive Ma'iz b. Malik. Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: He (Ma'iz) has made such a repentance that if that were to be divided among a people, it would have been enough for all of them. He (the narrator) said: Then a woman of Ghamid, a branch of Azd, came to him and said: Messenger of of Allah, purify me, whereupon he said: Woe be upon you; go back and beg forgiveness from Allah and turn to Him in repentance. She said: I find that you intend to send me back as you sent back Ma'iz. b. Malik. He (the Holy, Prophet) said: What has happened to you? She said that she had become pregnant as a result of fornication. He (the Holy Prophet) said: Is it you (who has done that)? She said: Yes. He (the Holy Prophet) said to her: (You will not be punished) until you deliver what is there in your womb. One of the Ansar became responsible for her until she was delivered (of the child). He (that Ansari) came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said the woman of Ghamid has given birth to a child. He (the Holy Prophet) said: In that case we shall not stone her and so leave her infant with none to suckle him. One of the Ansar got up and said: Allah's Apostle, let the responsibility of his suckling be upon me. She was then stoned to death.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 017, Number 4206:
'Abdullah b. Buraida reported on the authority of his father that Ma'iz b. Malik al-Aslami came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and said: Allah's Messenger, I have wronged myself; I have committed adultery and I earnestly desire that you should purify me. He turned him away. On the following day, he (Ma'iz) again came to him and said: Allah's Messenger, I have committed adultery. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) turned him away for the second time, and sent him to his people saying: Do you know if there is anything wrong with his mind. They denied of any such thing in him and said: We do not know him but as a wise good man among us, so far as we can judge. He (Ma'iz) came for the third time, and he (the Holy Prophet) sent him as he had done before. He asked about him and they informed him that there was nothing wrong with him or with his mind. When it was the fourth time, a ditch was dug for him and he (the Holy Prophet) pronounced judg- ment about him and he wis stoned. He (the narrator) said: There came to him (the Holy Prophet) a woman from Ghamid and said: Allah's Messenger, I have committed adultery, so purify me. He (the Holy Prophet) turned her away. On the following day she said: Allah's Messenger, Why do you turn me away? Perhaps, you turn me away as you turned away Ma'iz. By Allah, I have become pregnant. He said: Well, if you insist upon it, then go away until you give birth to (the child). When she was delivered she came with the child (wrapped) in a rag and said: Here is the child whom I have given birth to. He said: Go away and suckle him until you wean him. When she had weaned him, she came to him (the Holy Prophet) with the child who was holding a piece of bread in his hand. She said: Allah's Apostle, here is he as I have weaned him and he eats food. He (the Holy Prophet) entrusted the child to one of the Muslims and then pronounced punishment. And she was put in a ditch up to her chest and he commanded people and they stoned her. Khalid b Walid came forward with a stone which he flung at her head and there spurted blood on the face of Khalid and so he abused her. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) heard his (Khalid's) curse that he had huried upon her. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Khalid, be gentle. By Him in Whose Hand is my life, she has made such a repentance that even if a wrongful tax-collector were to repent, he would have been forgiven. Then giving command regarding her, he prayed over her and she was buried.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Book 017, Number 4207:
Imran b. Husain reported that a woman from Juhaina came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and she had become pregnant because of adultery. She said: Allah's Apostle, I have done something for which (prescribed punishment) must be imposed upon me, so impose that. Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) called her master and said: Treat her well, and when she delivers bring her to me. He did accordingly. Then Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) pronounced judgment about her and her clothes were tied around her and then he commanded and she was stoned to death. He then prayed over her (dead body). Thereupon Umar said to him: Allah's Apostle, you offer prayer for her, whereas she had committed adultery! Thereupon he said: She has made such a repentance that if it were to be divided among seventy men of Medina, it would be enough. Have you found any repentance better than this that she sacr ficed her life for Allah, the Majestic?

http://www.muslimaccess.com/sunnah/...---------------------------------------------

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

In essence does this mean when we repent and ask for forgiveness we are forgiven immediately. This is not to make excuses for sinning, but we are humans and do and will fall into error. Salat thus becomes the constant river of forgiveness. If my thinking is clear just by the intention of repenting there is submisson to Allah. Thereby it would eradicate any shirk? I am not trying to be simplistic.

Valerie

Assalaam walaikum,

In essence does this mean when we repent and ask for forgiveness we are forgiven immediately. This is not to make excuses for sinning, but we are humans and do and will fall into error. Salat thus becomes the constant river of forgiveness. If my thinking is clear just by the intention of repenting there is submisson to Allah. Thereby it would eradicate any shirk? I am not trying to be simplistic.

Wa alaikum assalam,

That helps. A lot. One embarrassing thing I have to share, back years ago when I was Christian, I was absolutely terrified of doing something wrong. It got to the point where I figured my mistakes, though unintentional, were just too many for me to have any hope for my soul. So I'm not going to do something intentionally, but I would like to have some hope for my unintentional mistakes and be careful for next time.

Thank you <3

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother, thank you for the response. Thus if the sinner makes intention and performs the action i.e. charity, fasting, salat, the sinner has hope. Those would be examples of expiation of the sin. We are given the critera for the expiation of sins.

I understand the need for caution in the association of an imaam with God as an authority to obey. It makes life easier to have the intermediary. You are correct..when a Believer decides he will submit to Allah...there can be no intermingling of shirk and faith. The sweet sea and salty sea analogy.

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

I also did want to clarify that yes Shirk is an unforgivable sin, but only so if a person dies whilst on that state. As in he has not repented and continues to do that shirk at the time of death. This story below I recently read again made me remember the concept:

If you truly ponder upon this hadith you will realise the true dangers of Shirk however small it may be, and the greatness of Tawheed how ever little it may be.

It is reported from Tariq Ibn Shihab (radiAllaahu anhu) that the Prophet :saw: said:

“A man entered Paradise because of a fly, while another entered the Fire because of a fly.”

They asked:

“How was that possible, oh, Messenger of Allah ?”

He replied:

“Two men passed by a people who had an idol, which it was not permissible for anyone to pass without making a sacrifice to it. They (the people) said to the first man: “Sacrifice (something).”

He said: “I have nothing with which to do so.” They said: “Sacrifice some-thing, even if it were only a fly,” and so he did so, and they allowed him to continue on his way and so he entered the Hell-fire.

Then they said to the second man: “Sacrifice (something).” But he said: “I will not sacrifice anything unless it be to Allah , the Almighty, the All-powerful,” so they struck his neck (and he died) and entered Paradise.”

(Narrated by Ahmad)
Source

Also:

Islam QA said:
But if a sinner dies in a state of sin, if his sins include shirk, then Allaah will not forgive him in the Hereafter. If his sins are less than that, then the person is subject to the will of Allaah – if He wills, He will punish him and if He wills, He will forgive him.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Verily, Allaah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills” [al-Nisaa’ 4:48, 116].

It was reported that Ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “The believer will be brought close to his Lord until He conceals him and makes him confess his sin. Allaah will say, ‘Do you remember such and such a sin?’ The man will say, ‘Yes, I admit it.’ The Lord will say, ‘I concealed it for you in the world and I forgive you for it today.’ Then He will close up his record of good deeds. As for the others or the Kuffaar, it will be called out before the witnesses, ‘These are the ones who disbelieved in their Lord. The curse of Allaah is upon the wrongdoers.’” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 4408; Muslim, 2768).

Your despairing of the mercy of Allaah is not permissible, because of the following evidence (daleel):

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Say: “O ‘Ibaadi (My slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins. Truly, He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful” [al-Zumar 39:53]. And He says (interpretation of the meaning): “… and My Mercy embraces all things…” [al-A’raaf 7:156]

It was reported from Abu Moosa that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Allaah spreads out His hand at night to accept the repentance of those who committed sins during the day, and He spreads out His hand during the day to accept the repentance of those who committed sins during the night. (He will continue to do this) until the sun rises from the West.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2759).
wasalam

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalamualikum
committing suicide is unforgivable as a person who dies cannot repent.A person who commit suicide cannot enter Jannah.

Correct me if am wrong

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum :)

revert2007

Love Fishing
Is also apostasy an unforgiveable sin?:wasalam:
Assalamualikum
yes it is unforgivable because this person went back to the sate of comitting shirk and when a person dies in this state,he is considered kuffr.

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum

weakslave

:bismillah:

I've heard from many different people, that different sins are unforgivable. Including but not limited to:

* Adultry
* Shirk
* Denying Allah

...and more.

Sins are of different types. Some are considered major, others minor. This topic is simple, but it requires knowledge. If you read through some of the links below InshaAllaah you will find them beneficial:

Prohibitions Taken Too Lightly - The Major Sins Explained - excellent book, everyone should read this.
Small Faults - minor sins (additional info)
Presisting in a minor sin, makes it major

And finally:

Understanding repentance and its importance

There is much reading to do here, but that is the price to pay to attain knowledge, and inshAllaah all of the above will help you understand the issue.

Did Muhammad (s.a.w) actually put anyone to death for adultry?

Yes, there are two incidents I recall from the sunnah, there may be more:
1. Ma'iz b. Malik al-Aslami (Sahih Muslim)
2. A woman from Ghamid (Abu-Dawood)

This is sort of related to what alf is asking: I heard a story of how a woman came to Muhammad to confess adultery and he said God forgave her and turned her away. She kept returning and on the second or third time he had her put to death. Not because of adultery, but because she did not accept God's forgiveness. Is this true, and if so does anyone know of a source for him?

The story is as follows:

"Buraidah said: "A woman of Ghamid came to the Prophet and said: "I have committed fornication", He said: "Go back". She returned and on the next day she came to him again, and said: "Perhaps you want to send me back as you did to Maiz b. Malik. I swear by Allah, I am pregnant." He said to her: "Go back". She then returned and came to him the next day. He said to her: "Go back until you give birth to the child." She then returned. When she gave birth to the child she brought the child to him, and said: "Here it is! I have given birth to it." He said: "Go back, and suckle him until you wean him." When she had weaned him, she brought him to him with something in his hand which he was eating. The boy was then given to a certain man of the Muslims and he (the prophet) commanded regarding her. So a pit was dug for her, and he gave orders about her and she was stoned to death. Khalid was one of those who were throwing stones at her. He threw a stone at her. When a drop of blood fell on his cheek, he abused her. The prophet said to him: "Gently, Khalid. By Him in Whose hand my soul is, she has repented to such an extent that if one who wrongfully takes an extra tax were to repent to a like extent, he would be forgiven". Then giving command regarding her, prayed over her and she was buried.""

It is not that the woman did not accept Allaah's forgiveness. When we ask for repentance we hope Allaah will forgive us.. but how many dare say that this is a guarantee? Nobody. Allaah has dictated stoning to death as means of forgiving the sin of adultery, and there are lessons in this command.

1. Adultery is a serious crime that is not to be taken lightly. In an Islamic state (and only then), this is punishable by stoning. This is to prevent widespread corruption and evil.

2. Stoning is a painful way to die. This is to make up for the pleasure gained during illegal sexual intercourse.

The woman was worried, she was scared. She feared that if she did not get punished for her sin in this life, she would face it in the hereafter and that image lived with her and she even came back after the Messenger :saw: sought excuses for her.

This must be referring to the following ayah:

"Verily, Allâh forgives not that partners should be set up with him in worship, but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He pleases, and whoever sets up partners with Allâh in worship, he has indeed invented a tremendous sin."
[An-Nisâ' 4:48]

Sins of a believer are forgiven on a daily basis by Allaah depending on what they do. Shaking hands with a fellow Muslim, water dripping from the body after wudoo, seeking Allaah's forgiveness (not specifically), and doing good deeds in general (Abu Sarah posted excellent information here on this issue). In these situations, Allaah will never forgive shirk: it is a sin that must be explicitly repented for because it cannot be forgiven any other way.

Allaah also forgives many sins of a slave on the day of judgement, and Allaah can and would forgive everything for a believer except for shirk. If the believer hadn't repented for shirk, there is no way. There is no repentance after this life for the one who commits shirk intentionally.

Shirk is explained in the link above: Prohibitions Taken Too Lightly. But here are more sources:

Types of Shirk

One must understand repentance to repent correctly from shirk. This is explained in the link above: Understanding repentance and its importance. Here is more information on repenting from shirk:

Repenting from Shirk

Assalamualikum
committing suicide is unforgivable as a person who dies cannot repent.A person who commit suicide cannot enter Jannah.

Correct me if am wrong

Allah knows the best
Assalamualikum :)

Check this link sister for information on suicide, it is not that simple :)

Suicide and Islam

Is also apostasy an unforgiveable sin?:wasalam:

Apostasy is punishable by death in an Islamic state if the person does not choose to repent or to return to Islam. If they are executed upon apostasy then they are not any different from a non-believer. In a non-Islamic state, an apostate is a non-Muslim, a non-believer. Why would we expect them to get treatment different from those who disbelieve? They were guided by Allaah and they refused Allaah's guidance.

But just like shirk, if they sincerely repent and go back to being Muslims, Allaah may accept their repentance.

And Allaah knows best.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong

* Adultry
* Shirk
* Denying Allah
...and more.

1. if a person repents, every sin is forgiven; even shirk.

2. if a person doesnt repents, Allah can forgive every sin except shirk.

3. wearing pants below ankles - many scholars say its a sin if done out of conceit and pride.

70 Major sins