Definition: Muslim and Believer

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I was in a dicussion with a sister. I stated I am a Muslim first and foremost. She responded I am better I am a Believer. I suggested we find definitions. I understand that the question of iman is raised here. I need solid definitions. Also, are we allowed in Islam to make such a statement.

arzafar

Are there degrees of Islam, and what are they?.

Praise be to Allaah.
Yes, there are three degrees of Islam, which are: Islam, eemaan and ihsaan. Each of them has a meaning and certain pillars or essential parts.

1 – Islam, which in Arabic means submission. In sharee’ah terminology its meaning varies according to usage, and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When the word is used on its own and is not accompanied by the word eemaan (faith, belief), it refers to the religion as a whole, including both major and minor issues of belief, words and deeds, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Truly, the religion with Allaah is Islam”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:19]

“and have chosen for you Islam as your religion”

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him”

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

hence some of the scholars defined it as meaning: Submitting to Allaah by affirming that He is One (Tawheed) and submitting to Him by obeying Him and disavowing shirk and its people.

(ii) When it is used in conjunction with the word eemaan (faith, belief), in which case it refers to outward deeds and words, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“The bedouins say: ‘We believe.’ Say: ‘You believe not but you only say, “We have surrendered (in Islam),”for Faith has not yet entered your hearts’…”

[al-Hujuraat 49:14]

In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (27) and Saheeh Muslim (150) it is narrated from Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) distributed (Zakaah) amongst (a group of) people while Sa’d was sitting there. Sa’d said: But the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) left a man who I thought the best of them all, and did not give him anything. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim.” I remained quiet for a while, but could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim.” I remained quiet for a while, but could not help repeating my question because of what I knew about him. I said, “O Messenger of Allaah, why did you leave out So and so? By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Or (merely) a Muslim. I give to one person even though another is dearer to me, for fear that he might be thrown on his face in the Fire.”

With regard to the Prophet’s words “or (merely) a Muslim,” when Sa’d (may Allaah be pleased with him) said to him, “By Allaah I regard him as a faithful believer” mean: You do not know about his faith, all you can see is his Islam in the sense of his outward actions.

The second degree is eemaan (faith), which in Arabic means belief which is committed to submission. In Islamic terminology its meaning varies according to usage and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When the word is used on its own and is not accompanied by the word Islam, it refers to the religion as a whole, as in the verses where Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah is the Wali (Protector or Guardian) of those who believe. He brings them out from darkness into light”

[al-Baqarah 2:257]

“and put your trust in Allaah if you are believers indeed”

[al-Maa’idah 5:23]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No one will enter Paradise except the believers.” Narrated by Muslim, 114.

Hence the salaf were unanimously agreed that eemaan means “affirming in the heart – which includes actions of the heart – and saying with the tongue and acting with one’s physical faculties. It increases by doing acts of obedience and decreases by committing sin.”

Hence Allaah limited the word eemaan to those who adhere to His religion in full, inwardly and outwardly, when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“The believers are only those who, when Allaah is mentioned, feel a fear in their hearts and when His Verses (this Qur’aan) are recited unto them, they (i.e. the Verses) increase their Faith; and they put their trust in their Lord (Alone);

3. Who perform As-Salaah (Iqaamat‑as‑ Salaah) and spend out of that We have provided them.

4. It is they who are the believers in truth. For them are grades of dignity with their Lord, and forgiveness and a generous provision (Paradise)” [al-Anfaal 8:2-4]

And Allaah referred to eemaan as including all of that when He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“but Al-Birr is (the quality of) the one who believes in Allaah, the Last Day, the Angels, the Book, the Prophets and gives his wealth, in spite of love for it, to the kinsfolk, to the orphans, and to Al-Masaakeen (the poor), and to the wayfarer, and to those who ask, and to set slaves free, performs As-Salaah (Iqaamat-as-Salaah), and gives the Zakât, and who fulfil their covenant when they make it, and who are patient in extreme poverty and ailment (disease) and at the time of fighting (during the battles). Such are the people of the truth and they are Al‑Muttaqoon (the pious”

[al-Baqarah 2:177]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) referred to eemaan as including all of that in the hadeeth about the delegation of ‘Abd al-Qays which is narrated in Saheeh al-Bukhaari (53) and Saheeh Muslim (17), where he said: “I enjoin you to believe in Allaah alone. Do you know what belief (or faith) in Allaah alone is?” They said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “To bear witness that there is no god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan, and to give one-fifth of the war-booty (the khums).”

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) described fasting the month of Ramadaan out of faith and in the hope of reward as being part of faith; he also said the same concerning spending the night of Laylat al-Qadar in prayer, fulfilling one's trusts, jihad, Hajj, attending funerals, etc. In Saheeh al-Bukhaari (9) and Saheeh Muslim (35) it says: “Faith has seventy-odd branches, the highest of which is saying Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah (there is go god except Allaah) and the least of which is removing a harmful thing from the road.” It would take too long to mention all the verses and ahaadeeth that speak of this topic.

(ii) When the word eemaan is used in conjunction with the word Islam. In this case it is understood as referring to inward beliefs as in the hadeeth of Jibreel etc., and as in the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) concerning the funeral du’aa’: “O Allaah, whomever among us you cause to live, cause him to live in Islam, and whomever among us you cause to die, cause him to die in faith.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1-24; he said it is hasan saheeh. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani, as stated in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, 1/299. That is because physical actions can only be accomplished during life, but when one is dying all that is left is the words and actions of the heart.

The point is that when either word, eemaan or Islam, is used alone, there is no difference between them, rather each of them when used alone refers to the entire religion. If there is any difference between them, then the word Islam refers to outward physical actions and the word eemaan refers to inward actions of the heart. This is what is indicated by the hadeeth of Jibreel which was narrated by Muslim in his Saheeh (8) from ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab who said:

One day when we were with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), there appeared before us a man whose clothes were exceedingly white and his hair was exceedingly black, and there were no signs of travel on him. No one among us recognized him. He came and sat down by the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and rested his knees against his and placed the palms on his hands on his thighs. He said: “O Muhammad, tell me about Islam.” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam is to testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah, to establish regular prayer, to pay zakaah, to fast Ramadaan and to go on pilgrimage to the House if you are able to.” He said: “You have spoke the truth.” And we were amazed at his asking that and saying that he had spoken the truth. Then he said: “Tell me about eemaan (faith, belief),” He said: “It means believing in Allaah, His angels, His Books, His Messengers, and the Last Day, and believing in al-qadar (the divine will and decree), both good and bad.” He said: “You have spoken the truth.” He said: “Tell me about ihsaan.” He said: “It means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” He said: “Tell me about the Hour.” He said: “The one who is being asked does not know more about it than the one who is asking.” He said: “Then tell me about its signs.” He said: “The slave-girl will give birth to her mistress, and you will see the barefoot, naked, destitute herdsmen competing in constructing lofty buildings.” Then he departed and I stayed for a while. Then he said to me: “O ‘Umar, do you know who the questioner was?” I said: “Allaah and His Messenger know best.” He said: “That was Jibreel, who came to teach you your religion.”

The third degree is ihsaan, which in Arabic means doing something well, perfectly and sincerely. In Islamic terminology its meanings vary according to usage and it may mean one of two things:

(i) When it is used alone and is not mentioned in conjunction with Islam or eemaan, it refers to the religion as a whole, as stated above with regard to the words Islam and eemaan.

(ii) When it is used in conjunction with either or both of the words Islam and eemaan, the meaning is perfecting one’s outward and inward deeds. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained it in a manner that no other created being apart from him (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) could have explained it, because of the gift of concise speech that Allaah bestowed upon him. He (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “It means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him, and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” This is the highest degree of Islam. Those who attain this are the foremost in doing good, the ones who will be closest to Allaah in the highest degrees of Paradise.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us that the degree of ihsaan is of two categories, one of which is higher than the other.

The first position is the higher of the two: This means worshipping Allaah as if you can see Him. This means that a person acts as if he can see Allaah in his heart, so his heart is filled with light and the matters of the unseen becomes almost like that which is visible (i.e., it becomes very real to him). Whoever worships Allaah with awareness of His nearness and turning to Him and acts as if he is before Allaah and looking at Him is bound to fear Him and venerate Him.

The second position is that of sincerity and awareness that Allaah is always watching. This means that a person acts with an awareness that Allaah can see him and is close to him. If a person bears this in mind and acts accordingly, then he will be sincere towards Allaah because this awareness will prevent him from paying attention to anyone other than Allaah or doing anything for the sake of anyone else. If a person achieves this position, it will become easy for him to reach the position described above. Hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “and although you cannot see Him, He can see you.” If a person truly understands when worshipping Allaah that He can see him and knows all his deeds, hidden and visible, inward and outward, and that nothing is hidden from Him, then it will be easy for him to move from the lower position to the higher, which is the constant awareness that Allaah is close to His slave and is with him, because it is as if he can see Him. We ask Allaah of His great bounty.

See Ma’aarij al-Qubool by Shaykh Haafiz al-Hakami, 2/20-33, 326-328; al-Majmoo’ al-Thameen, 1/49, 53.’ Jaami’ al-‘Uloom wa’l-Hukam, 1.106.

Islam Q&A

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Jazaak Allahu Kharin for your research.

I must have worded by question poorly. Let me try to restate what I am asking. As a Muslim/Believer are we allowed to make statements to the fact that my belief system is stronger or greater than anothers. Afterall, are the contents of your heart between you and Allah subhana talla, alone.

This is not about correcting wrong behavior. The sister specifically stated she was one better because she is a Believer. I found this to be dangerous grounds. I am seeking serious replies to why this may be dangerous grounds.
As a Muslim can one tell another he or she is one better in belief; this is question I am asking.

revert2007

Love Fishing
Assalaam walaikum,

Brother,

Jazaak Allahu Kharin for your research.

I must have worded by question poorly. Let me try to restate what I am asking. As a Muslim/Believer are we allowed to make statements to the fact that my belief system is stronger or greater than anothers. Afterall, are the contents of your heart between you and Allah subhana talla, alone.

This is not about correcting wrong behavior. The sister specifically stated she was one better because she is a Believer. I found this to be dangerous grounds. I am seeking serious replies to why this may be dangerous grounds.
As a Muslim can one tell another he or she is one better in belief; this is question I am asking.

Assalamualikum Sister.
Obviously you question has the answer. :)

All Allah's creation have no right to judge each other as Allah alone The One to judge.

None of us can say that"I am better than you" as I remember reading somewhere that"If my right foot is in jannah,I can't be sure that my left foot will be in jannah as well".

I cannot find the right expression in Arabic to describe a person who is proud of their faith.A person with great Imaan will never show off but act humbly.

Our Imaan is not from us but from Allah The Exalted.We do not achieve anything so there is no need to be proud of anything.A soleh man can be deviated from right anytime as Allah wishes and a deviated person can be guided to the right path as Allah wishes.

We just have to remember that everything single thing we own belong to Allah including Imaan.

I also remember reading that even if a person's Imaan is so great,not necessarily he can enter Jannah as a person enters Jannah is because of Allah's Mercy. :)

I guess this answer your question and I suggest that you advice this sister kindly so that she doesn't repeat the same mistake twice in sha Allah.

Allah knows the best.
Assalamualikum.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Please do not think that I am going off on the deep end..here goes..can one who assumes they have some degree of superiority intimidate others with what is commonly referred to as an evil eye. Many will give this sister money to appease the fear of the evil eye.

Secondly, when women apply for positions ( as I have to ) may we use the same phrase? "Wa la uzakki nafsi"

Finally, the question of judgement. What are our limitations. When we see behavior that is wrong we are to correct it. How can we correct others when we have to constantly guard ourselves. What dictates are there that achieve a balance between forbidding evil and enjoining good.

Once again, I apologize but these are serious issues for me and as usual I thank you for reading and responding to my numerous queries.

P.S. Brother Ayman...are there prizes for the number of posts we have. I mean can we get a gold star..a candy bar for the number of deleted posts...we are either patient or boring....

stiks

Amatur-Rahman
Assalaam walaikum,

Please do not think that I am going off on the deep end..here goes..can one who assumes they have some degree of superiority intimidate others with what is commonly referred to as an evil eye. Many will give this sister money to appease the fear of the evil eye.

This sounds a bit shirky to me subhanallah. Allah is our protector and we should place our trust in Him.

Secondly, when women apply for positions ( as I have to ) may we use the same phrase? "Wa la uzakki nafsi"

I'm unclear as to exactly what you mean here, positions of being ...?

Finally, the question of judgement. What are our limitations. When we see behavior that is wrong we are to correct it. How can we correct others when we have to constantly guard ourselves. What dictates are there that achieve a balance between forbidding evil and enjoining good.

You can keep an eye on your own behavior as well as correct others around you when you see something you clearly perceive to be wrong, these two are not mutually exclusive i dont think. In the Qur'an it says we are the best nation as we forbid the evil and encourage the good (paraphrase sorry)

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
salam2:

@sister aapa

evil eye is not something caused by someone who have superior iman or whatever rather it is caused by envy.

The scholars of the Standing Committee were asked:

What is the definition of the evil eye? Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And from the evil of the envier when he envies”

[al-Falaq 113:5]

Is the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) saheeh in which it says that “One third of those who are in the grave are there because of the evil eye”? If a person thinks that someone is envying him, what should the Muslim do and say? If the person who put the evil eye on someone washes himself, will the water he used bring healing to his victim? And should he drink the water or wash himself with it?

They replied:

The Arabic word al-‘ayn (translated as the evil eye) refers to when a person harms another with his eye. It starts when the person likes a thing, then his evil feelings affect it, by means of his repeated looking at the object of his jealousy. Allaah commanded His Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to seek refuge with Him from the envier, as He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“And from the evil of the envier when he envies”

[al-Falaq 113:5]

Everyone who puts the evil eye on another is envious, but not every envier puts the evil eye on another. The word haasid (envier) is more general in meaning than the word ‘aa’in (one who puts the evil eye on another), so seeking refuge with Allaah from the one who envies includes seeking refuge with Him from the one who puts the evil eye on another. The evil eye is like an arrow which comes from the soul of the one who envies and the one who puts the evil eye on another towards the one who is envied and on whom the evil eye is put; sometimes it hits him and sometimes it misses. If the target is exposed and unprotected, it will affect him, but if the target is cautious and armed, the arrow will have no effect and may even come back on the one who launched it.

Adapted from Zaad al-Ma’aad.

source http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20954

edit: i didn't copy everything from the source because its long and make some people lazy to read it.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I am never too old to learn. I will, Insha'Allah, read the entire response.

Sister Stiks..by position I was referring to a woman seeking a job. ( Even if I have to whisper this to myself during an interview..I feel sorry for the panel that has to interview me...I might hand out asprins before the interview!).

Envy is a strange thing. What we are given is by the Provisions of Allah. I can not want what you have simply because it does not have my name on it.

I am not a skeptic by nature. I truly appreciate the responses as they have been serious.

If the target is cautious and armed. If I understand this to be in a state of good iman..we can never let our guard down.

And one more question: How does a person protect themselves from developing an evil eye. We all have some envy within us.

Rustandi

الفقير الى الله
:bismillah:

And one more question: How does a person protect themselves from developing an evil eye. We all have some envy within us.

assalamu'alaikum sister, one thing to know tough, evil eye isn't just caused by envy, it can also caused merely because like someone likes something, i found a fatwa from islamqa that answers your question inshaAllah.

Can a man harm his beautiful wife with the “evil eye”?
I have a question about ayn. If a man were to say to his wife that she looks beautiful should he always say mashaa’Allaah, or is this excessive?

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

the “evil eye” is real, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The evil eye is real, and if anything were to overtake the divine decree (al-qadar) it would be the evil eye.” (Narrated by Muslim, 2188, from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas).

Al-Bukhaari (5048) and Muslim (2187) narrated the first part of this hadeeth from Abu Hurayrah.

Secondly:

the evil eye usually comes from people who are jealous or envious (hasad).

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

Everyone who gives the evil eye is jealous, but not everyone who is jealous gives the evil eye… then he said:

It begins when the person likes something, then his evil soul dwells on the matter, and by continually looking at the person who has the thing of which he feels jealous, he directs his venom towards him. A person may put the evil eye on himself, or he may put the evil eye on someone else without intending to, because it is is a part of his nature. This is the worst type of human being. Our companions and other fuqahaa’ said: if someone is known for this, he should be detained by the imaam (leader), who should spend on him and provide for him until he dies. This idea is absolutely correct… (Zaad al-Ma’aad, 4/167).

In the hadeeth, it says, “A’oodhu bi kalimaat-Illaah it-taamah min kulli shaytaanin wa haammah wa min kulli ‘aynin laammah (I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from every devil and vermin and from every envious eye).” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3191) from the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas.

The meaning of “vermin” (haammah) is lethally poisonous animals and insects.

The meaning of “envious” (laammah) is that which causes harm because of jealousy (hasad).

Thirdly:

Although it is correct that the evil eye comes from people who feel jealous (hasad), it may also come from a person who is not jealous but merely likes something, because of the hadeeth: “Whoever among you sees something in himself or in his possessions or in his brother that he likes, let him pray for blessing for it, because the evil eye is real.” Narrated by Ibn al-Sunni in ‘Aml al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah, p. 168; and by al-Haakim, 4/216. Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Kalim al-Tayyib, 243.

This hadeeth explains that a person may harm himself or his wealth – and no one feels jealous of himself – but he may harm himself with the evil eye by admiring himself, so it is even more possible that he may harm his wife in the same way.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

And a man may put the evil eye on himself. (Zaa’d al-Ma’aad, 4/167).

Fourthly:

a man may harm his wife with the evil eye by looking at her and noticing her beauty and admiring her, even if he does not actually say to her “You are beautiful.” It is mustahabb for him to say, “Allaahumma baarik fihaa (O Allaah, bless her).”

It was reported from Abu Umaamah ibn Sahl ibn Hunayf that his father told him that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out and they travelled with him towards Makkah until they reached Shi’b al-Khazzaar in al-Juhfah. Sahl ibn Hunayf washed himself, and he was a white man with a handsome body and skin. ‘Aamir ibn Rabee’ah, the brother of Bani ‘Udayy ibn Ka’b, looked at him when he was washing, and said, “I have never seen anything like this, not even the skin of a virgin in seclusion!” (this was a metaphor for the intense whiteness of his skin). Then Sahl suffered a seizure (an epileptic fit, in which he fell to the ground). He was brought to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and it was said, “O Messenger of Allaah, do you know what has happened to Sahl? By Allaah, he cannot raise his head and he will not wake up.” He said, “Do you accuse anyone with regard to him?” They said, “‘Aamir ibn Rabee’ah looked at him.” So the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called ‘Aamir and spoke angrily with him, saying, “Would any of you like to kill his brother? If you see something that you like, why do you not pray for blessing for it?” Then he said to him (‘Aamir), “Do ghusl for him.” So he washed his face, hands, elbows, the soles of his feet and inside his izaar (lower garment) from a vessel, then that water was poured over him (Sahl) – a man poured it over his head and back from behind, tilting the vessel. This was done to him, then Sahl went on with the people and there was nothing wrong with him. (Al-Musnad, 3/486. Al-Haythami said: the men of Ahmad are the men of saheeh. Al-Majma’, 5/107).

Fifthly:

When they like something, some people say “Ma sha’ Allaah laa quwwata illa Billaah (That which Allaah wills (will come to pass)! There is no power but with Allaah)”. They take as evidence for this an aayah in Soorat al-Kahf and a hadeeth.

The aayah in question is (interpretation of the meaning):

“It was better for you to say, when you entered your garden: ‘That which Allaah wills (will come to pass)! There is no power but with Allaah!’” [al-Kahf 18:39]. But this is not evidence (daleel), because the subject of the aayah has nothing to do with hasad (envy); in fact, Allaah destroyed his garden because of his kufr and transgression.

The hadeeth in question was reported from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him), saying that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever sees something that he likes, and says, ‘Ma sha Allaah laa quwwata illa Billaah’, the evil eye will not affect him.” But this hadeeth is da’eef jiddan (very weak)!

Al-Haythami said: this was narrated by al-Bazzaar from the report of Abu Bakr al-Hudhali, who is da’eef jiddan (very weak). (Majma’ al-Zawaa’id, 5/21).

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

source http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/7190/evil eye

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

I can not thank everyone enough. In summary, the knowledge I was given implies we are given the tools to ward of evil eyes by reciting the Sura's which happen to be the first ones we learn. We can recite these after each salat. The power in those few lines is awesome. I seek Refuge with the Perfect words of Allah.

In essence we can protect ourselves by lowering our gaze. This is applied Islam. In a constant state of humility we are able to weigh our deeds before they are weighed for us.

This is very sombering. And I have to go and think.

And yet another question pops into my mind: In my limited understanding of voodoo it has always been associated with the Hatian/ Southeastern US version. The worry beads, the miniture dolls, the roots, and to some degree the Puerto Rican variety. How do we define this in Islam.