THE LOST OF A LOVED ONE

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
AS SALAMU 'ALAYKUM,

My paternal grandfather died when I was 11 months. I actually remembered him holding me when I was a pre-verbal infant. My maternal grandmother babysat me the day of the funeral and said that I cried the who day.

My paternal grandmother died when I was 7 years old. She loved me deeply and was always so nice to me. My grammy Smith was a kind woman. She actually raised my oldest sister from the time of her birth until the day that my grandmother died. My sister had herself emancipated at 14 and lived with my grandmother's best friend till she got married and than she moved my grandmother's friend, Mamm, into her home where Mamm lived out the rest of her days.

My maternal grandfather died when I was 15. He had been senile for a few years, was blind, and was extremely accurate with his cane when any of us grandkids got within striking distance. Before he lost his sight, he had been an expert competition shooter and a master carpenter.

In early 1970, I graduate from Advance Individual Training as a medic. My mom and my cousin came to San Antonia,TX to see me graduate. My cousin told me to do as much and see as much of the world as possible. She said, "if you live everyday as if it was your last day of life there were no regret." She died six months later in her twenties from infection caused by brain surgery for cancer.

During my time in Vietnam and as a paramedic in an emergency room after returning from Nam, I saw people die often. I saw babies die, old soldiers, and too many young men and a few young women. I stopped showing any emotion very quickly.

Months after my Honorable Discharge from the Military, my first son was born and died a that same day. I felt as if my heart had been ripped from my chest. By then, I was a dedicated Christian and had prayed constantly prayers of bargaining and promises. I told God that if he left my son live I would serve him 100% and lots of other phrases that proved my faith was immature and and conditional. When my son died, I felt betrayed by God. I was so angry at God for letting my son die. I wanted nothing to do with a God who would take my son from me. I knew the Bible Stories well. I knew that Job was tested far greater than I was, but that didn't mater. I trusted God implicitly and He "failed" me. (Many Christians unconsciously think of God as a Jennie in a bottle or Santa Claus.)

After this death, I stopped going to church. I reverted back to my early personality type as a tough guy. I put my all into a new business that I started and it was successful until a friend swindled me out of $4500.00 which resulted in my losing my business.

My own death never concerned me. I was in fire fights in the Ashau Valley, had been bombed and rocketed repeatedly much of my time at Camp Eagle and when traveling around Vietnam. Prior to my accepting Christianity as my personally religion, I was a warrior who had no fear of death and as a Christian, I had no fear of death.

Within months of my son's death, one of my younger sisters was killed on her graduation. I actually had a nightmare the night she died that she had been hit by a drunk driver. My first wife (1972-1979) told me it was just a bad dream and to go back to sleep. A few hours later, my adopted dad called to tell me that my sister had been killed. The only words that made sense to me in my mind was, "Our finite minds can't comprehend the thoughts of The Infinite. We had to establish a Relative relationship to the Relative and an Absolute relationship to the Absolute." My heart had no opinion. I had lost the faith that had allowed me to travel around Vietnam like I was bullet proof.

My Second wife and I were married from (1980-1989). My wife, now whose boys I adopted, and I were married (1990-Present). I re-entered the ministry shortly after our marriage, but always earned my living working and not from preaching.

Since my sister's death, I have experienced the loss of two wives through divorce. I have lost three businesses. My mother was burned over 75% of her body by a defective lighter and died two days laters. A friend of ours was killed in a car accident by a distracted driver reaching for her phone and crashing head on into our friend's car as she returned home from dialysis with her husband driving.

My dad (adopted) died after several years of living with dementia and only 18 % heart function for the past 20 years.

I have had so many friends killed and die that it would take a large book to just list them briefly.

But, over the last twenty-six years my understand of Allah had matured. I now understand how foolish my faith was in the mid-seventies.

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Rom 8:30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.
Rom 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Rom 8:38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,
Rom 8:39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, ...

"O you who believe! Let not your properties, nor your children divert you from the remembrance of Allah. Whosoever does that, then they are the losers. So spend (in charity) of that with which We have provided you, before death comes to one of you and he says: ‘My Lord! If only you would give me respite for a little while (i.e. return to the worldly life), then I should give Sadaqah (I.e. Zakat - Obligatory charity) of my wealth, and be among the righteous.’ But Allah grants respite to none when his appointed time (death) comes. And Allah is All-Aware of what you do."

(Qur'an Al-Munafiqun 63:9-11)

The Messenger of Allah (saws) said:

"Remember much, that which cuts off pleasure: Death, since no-one remembers it in times of difficulty, except that things are made easy for him, nor mentions it at times of ease, except that the affairs become constricted for him."

Saheehul-Jaami’us Sagheer, no 1222

Many humans live the life of this world, seeking the best that it has to offer, while ignoring what lies ahead of them upon death. This is a result of weak faith, for such people live only for what is before their eyes. The adornment of this world are but temptations to distract you from the true purpose of life and the reminder that you will indeed be responsible for all you do in this life.

Believing in death is part of belief in the unseen and is an essential part of faith.

As Allah (swt) says in the Qur’an:

"Alif Laam Meem. This is the Book without doubt, in it is guidance sure, for those who fear Allah, those who believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in prayer, and spend out of what we have provided."

(Qur'an Al-Baqarah 2:1-3)

and also:

"Seek Allah’s help with patience and prayer. It is indeed hard, except for those who are humble. Who bear in mind that they will meet their Lord and that they are to return to Him."

(Qur'an Al-Baqarah 2:45-46)

"Everyone shall taste death. And only on the Day of Resurrection shall you be paid your wages in full. And whoever is removed away from the fire and admitted to Paradise, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is only the enjoyment of deception (a deceiving thing)."

(Qur'an Al-Imran 3:185)

"Say: Verily, the death from which you flee will surely meet you, then you will be sent back to (Allah), the All-Knower of the unseen and the seen, and He will tell you what you used to do."

"(He) Who created death and life, that He may test which of you is best in deed. He is the All-Mighty, the Oft-Forgiving."

(Qur'an Al-Mulk 67:2)

There are many Prophetic Ahadith regarding death and the effect it should have on us.

From Al-Baraa’ ibn Aazib (ra), who said:

"We went out with Allah’s Messenger (saws) with the funeral of a man of the Ansar and we came to the grave and the niche in the side of the grave (al-Lahd), had not been dug out yet, so Allah’s Messenger (saws) sat and we sat around him as if we had birds upon our heads, and in his hand he had a stick with which he was striking the ground. Then he raised his head and said: ‘Seek Allah’s refuge from the Punishment of the Grave,’ two or three times. Then he said: ‘When the believing servant is leaving this world and going onto the Hereafter, angels with white faces - as if their faces were in the Sun - descend upon him. With them is a shroud from the shrouds of Paradise and perfume for embalming from the perfume of Paradise, so they sit away from him at the distance the eye can see and then the Angel of Death (as) comes and sits by his head and says: "O good soul, come out to forgiveness from Allah and His good pleasure." He said: "So it comes out, just as a drop flows out from the mouth of the drinking vessel, and he takes it but does not leave it in his hand even for the blink of an eye until they take it and places it in that shroud, and that perfume, and there comes out from him a smell like that of the best musk found upon the face of the earth." He said: "So they ascend with it, (i.e. the persons soul) and they do not pass by any group of Angels except that they say: ‘Who is this good and pure soul?’ So they reply: "So and so, the son of so and so." with the best of his names which he used to be called by in this world, until they come to the lowest Heaven, and ask that it should be opened for him, so it is opened for him, they accompany him through every Heaven until he is taken up to the seventh Heaven, and Allah the Al-Mighty says: "Write the record of my slave in Illiyon (signifying highness) and return him to earth to his body." Then they say: "Who is your Lord?" So he will say: "My Lord is Allah." So they will say: "What is your Deen?" He will say: "My Deen is Islam." So they say: "Who is the man who was sent amongst you?" So he will say: "He is Allah’s Messenger." So they say: "How did you come to know that?" So he will say: "I read the Book of Allah, and believed in it , and attested to it." So a caller will call from Heaven: "Indeed My servant has spoken the Truth, so spread a place for him in Paradise, and a open a door to Paradise for him, so some of its fragrances and scents come to him and his grave is extended as far as the eye can see." He said: "A person with a Handsome face, and beautiful clothes and good smell comes to him and says. ‘Receive good news, which will please you. This is the day which you were promised.’ So he says to him: "Who are you?, since your face appears to signify good." So he says: "I am your righteous actions." He therefore says: "O Lord, establish the Last Hour. O Lord establish the Last Hour - so that I may return to my family and wealth."

But when the unbelieving servant is leaving this world and going into the Hereafter, angels with black faces descend upon him as far as the eye can see. The Angel of Death comes and sits by his head and says: "O foul soul, come out to Allah’s displeasure and anger." So the soul spreads throughout the body, so he (the Angel of Death) drags it out, just as a pronged roasting fork is pulled out of wool. So he takes it, but does not leave it in his hand for the blink of an eye until they put it in those coarse sack cloths. Then there comes from him an offensive stench, like that of the foulest smelling corpse rotting upon the face of the earth. So they ascend with it (i.e. the soul), and they do not pass by any group of angels except that they say: "what is that foul smell!" So they say: "So and so, son of so and so," calling him with the ugliest names which he used to be called with in this world, until they come with him to the lowest heaven, and ask permission to enter, and it is not opened for him." Then Allah’s Messenger (saws) recited:

"...for them the gates of heaven will not be opened, and they will not enter Paradise until the camel goes through the eye of a needle (which is impossible)."

(Qur'an Al-Araf 7:40)

So Allah (swt) says: "write his record in Sijjeen (a name signifying constriction) within the lowest earth." Then his soul is flung down, and he recited:

"...and whoever assigns partners to Allah, it is as if he had fallen from the sky, and the birds had snatched him, or the wind had thrown him to a far off place."

(Qur'an Al-Hajj 22:31)

So his soul is returned to his body and two Angels come and make him sit up. Then they say to him: "Who is your Lord?" So he will say: "Ah, ah, I don’t know." So they will say: "Who is this man who was sent amongst you?" So he will say: Ah, ah, I don’t know." So a caller will call from heaven: "You have lied so spread a place for him in the Fire, and open a door to the Fire for him." So some of its heat and scorching air comes upon him, and his grave is constricted to the extent that his ribs interlace, and a man with an ugly face, unsightly clothes and smelling offensively comes to him and says: "Receive news of that which will grieve you, this is the day which you were promised." So he will say: "Who are you?" He will answer: "I am your evil actions." So the unbeliever will say: "O Lord, Do not establish the Last Hour."

"Wherever you are death will find you out, even if you are in the towers built up strong and high..."

(Qur'an An-Nisa 4:11)

"It is He who gives Life and causes Death: and when He decides upon an affair, He says to it, ‘Be’ - and it is."

(Qur'an Ghafir 40:68)

Death cannot be caused by anyone or anything, nor can it be stopped or delayed unless such is in agreement with what has been pre-written. Allah (swt) tells us:

"Nor can a soul die except by Allah’s leave, the term being fixed by writing..."

(Qur'an Al-Imran 3:145)

Act 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.

Heb 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

Now, notice these next Bible verse. Allah did not say that on the day that thou eat thou shall die. Allah said on the day that thou eat thou shalt surely die. He said it was a certainty that death would come after eating the fruit and not that death would be that day. Also, Allah said not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. There is nothing recorded about not touching it. Eve may have been the first to "add" to The Word of ALLAH:

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Gen 3:2 And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
Gen 3:3 But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
Gen 3:5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
Gen 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
Gen 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

"...And I believe that there is no God but Him whom the Children of Israel believe in. I am of those who submit (to Allah in Islam)."

سُوۡرَةُ یُونس
۞ وَجَـٰوَزۡنَا بِبَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٲٓءِيلَ ٱلۡبَحۡرَ فَأَتۡبَعَهُمۡ فِرۡعَوۡنُ وَجُنُودُهُ ۥ بَغۡيً۬ا وَعَدۡوًا*!ۖ حَتَّىٰٓ إِذَآ أَدۡرَڪَهُ ٱلۡغَرَقُ قَالَ ءَامَنتُ أَنَّهُ ۥ لَآ إِلَـٰهَ إِلَّا ٱلَّذِىٓ ءَامَنَتۡ بِهِۦ بَنُوٓاْ إِسۡرَٲٓءِيلَ وَأَنَا۟ مِنَ ٱلۡمُسۡلِمِينَ (٩٠)

(Qur'an Yunus 10:90)

Allah and His Messenger, peace be upon him, encourage us to contemplate death and be ready for it with good deeds. This is regarded as a sign of goodness. Ibn ' Umar reports: "I came to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and I was the tenth of the first ten people (who embraced Islam). A man from among the Ansar got up and said: "O Prophet of Allah, who is the most sagacious and the most prudent among the people?" He replied: "Those who are most aware of death and prepare themselves for it. They are the wisest of people and will have honor in this world and a generous reward in the Hereafter'." Ibn 'Umar also said that Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said: "You should remember the reality that brings an end to all worldly joys and pleasures, namely, death." (Both hadith are narrated by At-Tabarani with a sound chain of narrators)

It is desirable that righteous people visit patients on their deathbeds and remember Allah. Umm Salamah reported: "Allah's Messenger, peace be upon him, said, 'When you visit someone who is ill or is dying, say good things about him. Indeed, the angels (present there) say "amen" to whatever you utter'." She added:"When Abu Salamah passed away, I went to the Prophet, peace be upon him, and said, 'Oh Messenger of Allah! Indeed, Abu Salamah has died.' The Prophet said: 'Say: "O Allah! Forgive me and him. Give me in his place a better substitute".' So, I did so and Allah gave me someone better than he. He gave me Muhammad, peace be upon him." (Recorded by Ahmad, Muslim, and the five compilers of the sunan)

In another report she said: "The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, came to see Abu Salamah when his sight had become fixed (he had passed away). So the Prophet, peace be upon him, closed his eyes and said: 'When the soul is seized and it leaves the body, the sight follows it.' Some of Abu Salamah's family wept and wailed, whereupon the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: ' Supplicate to Allah only to seek good for yourselves, because the angels (who are present) say "amen" to whatever you utter.' Then he said: 'O Allah! Forgive Abu Salamah; raise his station among (Your) rightly guided servants; and take good care of his family that he has left behind. O Lord of the Worlds ! Forgive him and us, make his grave spacious, and put light therein for him." (Muslim)

It is narrated on the authority of Abu Sa'id al-Khudri that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said: "Prompt your dying people to say: 'La ilaha illa-Allah'." (Muslim, Abu Daw'ud, Tirmidhi) Another report on the authority of Mu'adh ibn Jabal states that the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: "He whose last words are 'La ilaha illa- Allah' shall enter Paradise." (Narrated by Abu Daw'ud; Al-Hakim considers it a sound hadith)

This prompting (talqin) is necessary only when the dying person is unable to utter the shahadah (La ilaha illa- Allah . . . ). If such a person is able to utter these words then there is no need for prompting, but he should rather be advised to do so. Such advice is useful in cases of persons who are in possession of their faculties of reason and speech. If one is already mentally impaired such advice cannot be of benefit. But one who is unable to speak might say these words in his heart. The scholars are of the opinion that no pressure should be put on the dying person. So one should not say to him, "Say, 'La ilaha ill-Allah'," lest he should become annoyed and utter something improper. One may say the shahadah, however, in such a way that the dying person might be able to hear it and repeat it. If he utters it once, he should not be asked to repeat it unless he says some words after it. In such a case he should be asked to repeat shahadah to ensure that it be his last utterance.

Asja

Pearl of Islaam
Asalamu allaicum wa raahmatullah wa barakatuhu dear brother.

Mashallah, Allahu Akbar for your life story. Mashallah it is really touching to the heart, it shows your fight trugh life. Allah tested those who He loves the most,and mashallah you are one of them, especialy because Allah has guide to our beautiful religion Islaam. Although you have lost your loved ones, you have us- your brothers and sisters to be your second family Inshallah.

May Allah bless you always and keep you good Muslim, ameen :tti_sister:

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Assalaam walaikum,

Dearest brother..preach on..preach on.

How can a person know compassion unless one has been tested. How can we measure success if we have not known failure.

You had a choice. You choose Love. You did not bite the bitter fruit of hate. And now you come to us to help us remember that under all circumstances we have to say Alhumdullila.

May Allah reward your efforts to please Him.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Walaykumsalaam waa rahmatullahi beloved brother Frank,

I feel very touched by your kind gesture. I thank you deeply for the essential reminder about the truth of life. JazakAllahu Khayran.

I am sorry to hear about the loved ones that you have lost. Alhamdulillah that we as muslims have guidance with regards to dealing with such a calamity by beseeching Allah azz zawajal to grant as patience and forgiveness for our deceased.

I pray that Allah subhaanahu waa ta'ala makes everything easy for us and grants us understanding of the religion.

May Allah subhaanahu waa ta'ala give us all good in this life and in the Hereafter and resurrect us among His righteous slaves. Ameen

Wasalaamalaykum waa rahmatullahi

a_stranger

AlhamduliAllah what a joy to understand the message of Allah subhanahu wa taala .......I believe that this is a great favour from Allah upon his weak slave. :salah: