Question about Music in Islam????

Status
Not open for further replies.

XSãoXLuisX

Hey I'm not a Muslim I'm merely curious about Islam. I Heard in Islam only a specific type of music is acceptable. I'm not sure what the Quran(forgive me if I spelled it wrong) says about this, but if this is true, why only one specific type of music???

I used to be Christian. I no longer call myself a Christian, but i still maintain a belief in god and my morals. When i called myself a Christian i listened to all kinds of music and even some Christian music, i still do to this day. The music i listen to isn't at all what you would think. It's not the typical tambourine shaking baptist music you here in Christian churches. It's very very different to say the least, but it has strong lyrics that promote a positive lifestyle and living to serve God. When i listen to this rather unorthodox music I get really motivated to be a better person for God, intense happiness and love for God, and a strong sense of pride for my faith. Before i never used to tell people that i believed in God, but after listening to those songs i feel like telling the world!!!!!! In a way, those songs have brought me closer to God than anything else before.

So far I like everything I've learned about Islam, but I can't imagine never listening to those songs again or losing all those feelings that I felt. Could someone please explain or correct me if I'm wrong in any way?????

Valerie

Good question, I posted something similar in another thread. In my case, I was curious about classical music in general (ie Mozart or I was listening to Debussy earlier).

MahyarEL-Prince

Studying Islam...
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatoh,
Islam prohibits musical instruments. So listening to mozart is indeed haram. Listening to anything from a drum a trumpet etc is all haram.
People to this day still question if other music is haram (acapellas) but I tend to believe that it is not if it's speaking about islam the prophets etc. WITHOUT any musical background. A shia will come here right now and say no no music isn't haram but they believe that smoking ciggerrate is also not haram.
Anyways for a muslim, listening to the Quran is the best type of music. I hate do call it music because it's not actually music but it's soothing and it rhymes which is just like music, even better it's Allah's kalam (words).
So to any muslims looking at this know that music is haram it's a way of shayton to get to your mind!! I will post more if anyone decides to debate this issue with me.

al-muslimah

Also, you could watch these beneficial videos clearly explained by Sheikh Yousef Estes.

Part one:
[yt]GxfAGe6Y4N4&feature=related[/yt]

Part two:
[yt]u-1aUzOHqSY&feature=related[/yt]

Maha*

Asalamu alaikum, even if music is not permissible, this should make you stop learning about Islam inshaa Allah. If you are able to find out that Islam is the only truth and you don't want to give up music, then by all means, become a Muslim and listen to music until you are able to give it up one day inshaa Allah. And Allah knows best.

[yt]vDUa5THF26Q[/yt]

[yt]KYLJM2e2EKM[/yt]

[yt]lr6D1_FhkjY[/yt]

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Hello Sao Luis and Valerie, :)

I wish you both success in your quest for truth. I pray to Allah subhaana waa ta'ala that your hearts are drawn towards Islam and everything is easy for you both. Ameen.

Respected sisters have already provided good links explaining Islamic stance on Music. I would like to provide you with 2 more links.

The complete audio lecture of music by Kamaal el mekki.. Short clips are already provided above. This is the complete lecture

[yt]RthlUOYkI7M[/yt]

If you want to read more about it, there is a book by the author Khalid Baig, its called "Slippery Stone: An Inquiry into Islam's Stance on Music". You could perhaps obtain it from Amazon or Half.com, it is currently out of stock on this website :- http://store.dar-us-salam.com/product/R77.html

Please don't hesitate to ask further questions. I wish you both the best. :)

XSãoXLuisX

Well from a musicians point of view, I know(and i think all musicians can agree with me) that your voice is in fact a musical instrument. Just because you can't hold your vocal cords in your hand doesn't exclude it as a musical instrument. Even when you talk in your normal speaking voice, you speak in a certain pitch. And you change pitch according to what you are saying. I know this is true, because my normal speaking voice is an "F natural". Whenever you walk down the street you hear sirens passing by, that has a certain pitch. That is music. When you clap your hands, that also has a pitch. That is music. When you study music you learn that music is sound. And if music is not allowed, then neither should sound. Now with that said, one could rightfully argue that "deliberately constructed music" or "music with specific intentions" is wrong, but singing of the Quran is in fact music & "deliberately constructed". And I think I've heard multiple people singing the Quran at the same time, which would mean they were harmonizing and harmonizing is a form of musical back-up. I'm still very much confused on this issue. Thanx for the replies!!!

Fatima S.Ar

Happiness = Islam
Oh Music ! everybody wonders about it while I see it's better not to pay attention for such secondary things .
Music is forbidden for some reasons but God is forgiving he can forgive our sins and we are not supposed to be perfect we should only do our best .

I don't want this unimportant thing to stop your journey about the truth :)

XSãoXLuisX

This particular quote is directed towards the first video of "Sheikh Yousef Estes" explaining music.

He says at about 3:35, there was a drum used in the time of Mohammed called a "duff", I'm not sure if that's the correct name &/or spelling, but he says that this "drum" is permissible. He then goes on to explain why other drums are not permissible. He says other drums are not permissible, because, "they have drums that actually play music" & "Some are designed...it's a drum, you're beating on it, but it sounds like you're playing some kind of a piano". He implies that the drum from the time of mohammed, the "duff", wasn't music. He described it as sheep skin over an opening. But as a drummer, I know that all drums(no matter what) produce music. And like all musical instruments, all drums have a pitch. Whether it's a marching snare or a Djembe, all drums have a pitch. Meaning all drums produce music. So either ALL drums are permissible or none are. And I've heard it said that singing of the Quran is not music, but like I've said in my prior response, every sound you hear is music.

I hate to sound argumentive on this, but I still don't understand why music is considered “wrong”. I'm truly trying to understand Islam, but I guess I'm kind of stuck on this issue. Thank you all for the replies and the help.

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member
Hello,

The duff is open ended drum which is permissible only to keep the beat. That too we (muslims) shouldnt pre-occupy ourselves with it. That can be used for celebrating joyous occasion like wedding by women folk.

The problem with music is that occupies a lot of place in the heart and it deviates the heart and mind of person away from remembrance of Allah subhaana wa ta'ala. Most importantly it deviates a person from reading the Quran (word of Allah) by occupying a person's heart. This caused the earlier muslims to term music as 'Quran us shaytaan' (the Quran of satan).

Music can cause one to feel happy,sad etc, that is it can emotionally move a person and it is addictive. The believer seeks refuge in the book of Allah (Quran) and he is moved by the signs and reminders of Allah that are mentioned in it. Pre-occupation of the believer in things such as music prevents him/her from truly submitting oneself to Allah and remembering Allah Almighty.

If you would like to know more from reliable sources, please listen to the youtube lecture that I have posted above.

I wish you success in your quest for the truth. :)

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu Alaykum,

As a new revert to Islam, I want to say welcome.

I enjoyed this entire six or seven part video series, but THERE IS MUSIC IN IT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9E5ljRB_qA&feature=fvw

I personally try to avoid Music, but I also love this verse from Al (the) Qur'an (Koran or Quran) as I love every verse in Al Qur'an:

39:41 Assuredly, We have sent down the Book to you in right form for the good of man. Whoso guided himself by it does so to his own advantage, and whoso turns away from it does so at his own loss. You certainly are not their keeper.

In addition to Al Qur'an, we have what are called Sunnahs which are books written about this.

According to by Dr. G. F. Haddad Sunnah means :

In its technical sense sunnah has three meanings. In hadith terminology it denotes any saying (qawl), action (fi'l), approval (taqrîr), or attribute (sifa), whether physical (khilqiyya) or moral (khuluqiyya) ascribed to (udîfa ila) the Prophet , whether before or after the beginning of his prophethood.1 This meaning is used in contradistinction to the Qur'an in expressions such as "Qur'an and sunnah " and applies in the usage of hadith scholars.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
As Salamu 'Alaykum,

As I said early, I am a new revert to Islam. I believe the actual belief as to whether music is Haraam or Halah comes from either Sahih_Muslim or the Sahih Bukhari. But, it may be from one of the other Sunnahs. As far as my limited knowledge goes, I don't think Al Qur'an forbids music, except to say that we should imitate The Prophet Muhammad (Salla Allahu 'Alayhi Wa Sallem) and the Sunnahs are a way for us to know what that is. I guess it comes down to you can follow the letter of the law and search for ways to do what you want. Or, Insha Allah you can seek to be in submission to Allah and try to take the road that is praiseworthy (Mandub), desirable (mustahabb), excellent (hasan), excellence (Ihsan) , meritorious (fadila) and best (afdal) I just learned those words and am trying to show off. I don't even know if I am using them correctly or spelling them correctly.

Seriously, if the best of Muslims avoid something, then it is prudent to avoid it. The little that I have learn in the short time that I have been a Muslim is that Islam is about living in submission to Allah. And, intention is the key.
Since you said you were a Christian you might relate to this:

1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
1Co 13:2 And if I have prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
1Co 13:3 And if I shall dole out all my goods in food, and if I deliver up my body that I may be burned, but have not love, I profit nothing.

If we do all the right things for the wrong reason, it is of no value. If we make a mistake, but our intention was to follow the right path of submission to Allah's Will, then we are judged on our intention.

I hope this has helped.

Frank_H_Smith

New Revert 2010
Al-Ahzab
Verily in the messenger of Allah ye have a good example for him who looketh unto Allah and the Last Day, and remembereth Allah much. (21)

XSãoXLuisX

Well see I've heard that response before. "If most muslims agree that something(music) is wrong or bad, then it probably is" or something to that effect. But I've always learned that we are to please God...NOT man. I honestly don't care what mankind says is right or wrong, I care about what God says is right or wrong. That's why I asked the question: Where in the Quran does it forbid music &/or give the limitations on Music???

Oh and another thing. The main reasons I've heard people say that music is "bad" is because it "takes you away from God" and it "manipulates your emotions". And I've always wondered what makes people think that their faith in God is so weak, that it can be so easily swayed by a few rhythms or the likes of Lady GaGa??? Now, I'm probably way off base on this, and forgive me if I am, but that's what it seems like to me. I've always felt secure in my faith & I've never seen music as a threat.

thariq2005

Praise be to Allah!
Hi there. We are talking about Musical intstruments being Haraam. Ma’aazif is the plural of mi’zafah, and refers to musical instruments (Fath al-Baari, 10/55), instruments which are played (al-Majmoo’, 11/577). Al-Qurtubi (may Allaah have mercy on him) narrated from al-Jawhari (may Allaah have mercy on him) that ma’aazif means singing. In his Sihaah it says that it means musical instruments. It was also said that it refers to the sound of the instruments. In al-Hawaashi by al-Dimyaati (may Allaah have mercy on him) it says: ma’aazif means drums (dufoof, sing. daff) and other instruments which are struck or beaten (Fath al-Baari, 10/55).

Coming back to the topic of Musical instruments to be haraam, there is consensus among the best of muslim (i.e the companions of Prophet Muhammed :saw2:, the generation that followed it, and the generation that followed after that), that Music is haraam. You see Islaam is not based on logic, most of the rulings might be logical, but some may not, and this is because people are not able to comprehend the great wisdom behind it which is known only to the Creator, for the One who created us knows what is best for us, and what is bad for us. As believers we believe that when God or His Messenger (peace be upon him) command us to do something, then we hear and we obey, without questioning too much, and this is taught to us in our religion. The Messenger of Allaah, peace be upon him, taught us that the people before us were destroyed due to their excessive questioning, the Messenger of Allaah, peace be upon him, said “Avoid that which I forbid you to do and do that which I command you to do to the best of your capacity. Verily the people before you were destroyed only because of their excessive questioning and their disagreement with their Prophets.” [Al-Bukhaari & Muslim]

Also I would advise you to learn about the more important aspects of the religion, or the most important aspect of the purpose of your life that you have been blessed with. And that is to worship none except Allaah. I advise you to accept the fact that there is none worthy of worship except the one true God, Allaah, and once you do this, you will realize how much importance Islaam gives in order to establish this. And at the end of the day one may be a muslim, and may listen to music, but with his sincere belief in the oneness of Allaah, he would ask for repentance and Allaah would forgive him from his sin, and reward him for asking for repentance. I am NOT compromising the religion of Islaam here by saying one can listen to music, but if one does listen to music, and sins by doing so, then he can replace this by righteous good deeds by perfoming righteous actions.

Cinta

To Brothers,

If you think that my previous post doesn't give a representative about Islam's teaching. Please feel free to delete it as I don't know how to delete my post.

Wassalam,
Cinta :hearts:

Imad

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh Cinta,

You are right it does not represent islam....but good to have you here in this islamic forum. I hope insha Allah it will be deleted by the admins. It's nice to see people turn to Allah in obidience.

Wassalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Imad

Status
Not open for further replies.