Fasting on the Day of 'Aashoorah

saima abdullah

my life iz 4 Allah
Fasting on the Day of 'Aashoorah

At the moment we are in the month of Muharram. The TENTH day of Muharram is the Day of 'Aashoorah.
(If you keep a fast for the sake of Allaah on this day, the reward inshaaAllaah is Forgiveness for sins of the previous year).

Proof for Fasting on the Day of 'Aashoorah

On the Authority of Abu Qataada (radiallaahu 'anhu): That the Messenger of Allaah (salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) was asked about the fast of the day of 'Ashoorah, so he answered: "It expiates the sins of the previous year."

Reported by Muslim

Narrated by Muslim and other than him, and by Ibn Majah and his wording is: "The fast of the day of 'Ashoorah; Indeed the reward that I request from Allaah is that He expiates the sins of the year before this year."

Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) said, "If I remain alive till the next year, I shall also observe fast on the ninth of Muharram."

Reported by Muslim

On the authority of Ibn 'Abbaas (radiallaahu 'anhu): "That the Prophet (salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) never aspired for the excellence of a day after Ramadaan, except the day of 'Ashoorah." Narrated by Tabaranee in 'al-Awasat', and its isnaad is hasan with the isnaad before it

EXPLANATION:

Some people think these words stand to mean that he (salAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) would have observed Saum (fast) on the 9th of Muharram only. But this interpretation does not agree with other Ahadith. In order to oppose the Jews, he (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) resolved to observe one more Saum (fast) with that of 10th of Muharram and ordained it for the Muslims. Therefore, it is recommended to fast either the 9th and 10th or the 10th and 11th of Muharram.

Which day does the 10th day of Muharram fall this year?

This year it falls on Sunday 27th December insha'Allah.

The permissibility of fasting on the day of 'Aashoorah only

Question: Is it permissible to fast 'Aashooraa. just one day?

Answer: It is permissible to fast the day of 'Ashooraa. (tenth day of Muharram) just one day, however, it is better to fast the day before it or the day after it (also) and this is the established Sunnah of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) who said: ((If I am (still) here next year, then certainly I shall fast the ninth (day of Muharram))), [(reported by) Muslim, Ahmad, Ibn Maajah, Ibn Abee Shaybah, at-Tahaawee, al-Bayhaqee and al-Baghawee] . Ibn 'Abbaass (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) said: ((along with the tenth (day of Muharram))).

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 10, Page 401, Fatwa No.13700

Key dates of Muharram this year:

9th Muharram 1431 = Saturday 26th Dec 2009
10th Muharram (day of 'Aashooraa) 1431 = Sunday 27th Dec 2009
11th Muharram 1431 = Monday 28th Dec 2009

http://www.albaseer ah.com/index. php?option= com_content&view=article&id=84&catid=1