English Quran

z659

Salaam all,

Has anybody come across a modern english translation of the Quran which is simple to read, as I still yet havent found one.

There are people that are interested in reading the modern translation rather then the traditional english translation.

Jazakallah

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
salamu alaikum
as a matter of fact i bought one yesterday and it says the following on the front cover:

THE MEANING OF
THE
GLORIOUS QUR'AN
AN EXPLANATORY TRANSLATION
BY MUHMMAD MARMADUKE PICKTHALL

NEW MODERN ENGLISH EDITION
Islmaic Dawah Centre International (.D.C.I)

It is the modern edited form of Mickthall's translation and I found it simple to understand and uptodate language.

Wassalam

Kayote

:salam2:

I think its very important for us muslims to be careful about the various english translations done, some even by non-muslims.

When I went to Umra, I bought a Quran with english translation by Muhsin Khan & another author. I very much recommend that.

:wasalam:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
I to would recommend the Interpration of the Qur'aan in the English language of Muhsin Khan and Taqi ud-Deen Al-Hilali I believe his name is. It does not use archaic English like many and provides many additional, beneficial notes and information.

Remember that the Qur'aan is in `Arabic and `Arabic only. It is the Speech of Allaah. Anything else is considered an interpretation of the meanings of the Qur'aan, since much meaning is lost when you translate and render the Qur'aan into another language.

NewMuslim

Slave of Allah
Assalamu Alaykum
Go to this site:

http://freequran.org

I would suggest ordering the "New Muslims Gift". Not only do you get an English translation of the Qur'an (by Abdullah Yusuf Ali), but you get a book of 40 Hadith and other books to help you and non-believers to stay on/get onto the Straight Path of Islam. In the very least, these books will promote tolerance towards Islam and Muslims from non-believers.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam alaykum

Really i'm Arabian due to that i didn't Reading a Quran with english translation ..but Really i see english translation by Muhsin Khan is near to the right ..

<wasalam>

samiha

---------
Staff member

I am merely reposting what bro Mabsoot placed earlier... Jazakallahu Khayr bro.

The Noble Quran - Translation by Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali & Muhammad Muhsin Khan

Includes a summarized version of At-Tabari, Al-Qurtubi and Ibn Kathir with comments from Sahih Al-Bukhari.

This is most authentic translation. This is due to they translate it in light of the Quran and Sunnah.

Although, keep in mind translation is simply that a translation.
http://muttaqun.com/quran/

The Yusuf Ali one is not accurate.

Allahu Alom about the translations, but it seems this one is the best... and in regards to religion a Muslim should only take the best.

Here is the thread it was taken from: What is the best Quran translation?

Wassalam.

Kurd11

IN ALLAH...WE TRUST.
I to would recommend the Interpration of the Qur'aan in the English language of Muhsin Khan and Taqi ud-Deen Al-Hilali I believe his name is. It does not use archaic English like many and provides many additional, beneficial notes and information.

Remember that the Qur'aan is in `Arabic and `Arabic only. It is the Speech of Allaah. Anything else is considered an interpretation of the meanings of the Qur'aan, since much meaning is lost when you translate and render the Qur'aan into another language.

If meaning gets lost in the translation, how would a non-Arab know what was exactly lost during the translation of the Qur'an? I mean someone who is not in contact with anyone who speaks Arabic.

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
The Holy Qur'an in English

Unfortunately, I can read Arabic only. Therefore I bought the following book from an Islamic bookshop and have found it to be very useful.

The Qur'an
A new translation by M.A.S. Abdel Haleem
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Published: 2005

- It has a Contents page and an Index
- It contains an Introduction section, which includes the following info:

The Life of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) and the Historical Background
The Revelation of the Qur'an
The Compilation of the Qur'an
The Structure of the Qur'an: Suras and Ayas
Stylistic Features
Issues of Interpretation

- This book also contains a Map of Arabia at the Time of the Revelation.
- The author is a Hafiz Qur'an and was educated at al-Azhar and Cambridge Universities.

:wasalam:

samiha

---------
Staff member
If meaning gets lost in the translation, how would a non-Arab know what was exactly lost during the translation of the Qur'an? I mean someone who is not in contact with anyone who speaks Arabic.

I'm afraid we probably wouldn't or don't (exactly know what is lost). Not only meaning is lost, but the feeling, the emotion... I don't know. I think I miss quite a bit by not understanding the Quran in its original language.

A song is only as good as its words. The Quran is the divine revelation, so therfore it is even more important for people to understand it. It's eloquence, even at that time where poetry flurished, was at its high. If you don't understand something and you hear it, you may appreciate its sound or beauty, or the effect it has on you through your ears, but the understanding is not there.

If I open a book in any language and admired its writing, it will only dazzle the eyes, it wouldn't mean anything.

Therefore, we must strive to be able to understand the Quran to some extent, otherwise the love of the Quran wouldn't be complete.

So it is best to try to learn Arabic, the language of the Glorious Quran, but if not... the best alternative after that is to learn the Quran's translation right?

THis is only how I feel on this matter.

Wassalam.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum..

sister in islam..

- The author is a Hafiz Qur'an and was educated at al-Azhar and Cambridge Universities.

sister Really i was gradulated from Al-Azhar n i didn't hear any scholarh is name M.A.S. Abdel Haleem .. could u share to us source of ur info.. thanks in advanced..

i leave u in care of Allah..

<wasalam>

Muslimah77

Slave of Allah (SWT)
English Translation of the Qur'an

:salam2: Brother,

You are most fortunate to have studied at Al-Azhar. Marsha’ Allah. The answer to your question is that I have The Qur’an by Abdel Haleem and it was from its introductory page where I read about his little biography. I have added an article about Abdel Haleem for your reference: (http://www.islamonline.net/English/ArtCulture/2004/05/article04.shtml).

:wasalam: from your sister in Islam

A New Rendering of the Glorious Qur’an
By Soha El Saman
London 13/05/2004

One might ask whether yet another rendition of the Qur'an into English can contribute anything new to the already existing wealth of interpretations of its meaning available to the Anglophone reader. However, with the impressive work to be published by Oxford University Press , Dr. Mohammed Abdel Haleem, director of the Centre of Islamic Studies at the School for Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London, is unquestionably opening up a new space in the field of Qur'anic translation. The Qur'an, fruit of a life of engagement with Islam's primary text and almost a decade of committed labour, aspires to pioneer in comprehensively conveying the substance of the Qur'an in lucid contemporary English while remaining faithful to the meaning and spirit of the original. Furthermore, through the rigorous application of contextualization and cross-reference in determining the semantic value of ambiguous terms, Abdel Haleem has endeavoured to avoid the semantic inaccuracies to be found in earlier translations.

Before the celebrations surrounding the official launch of the new translation, IslamOnline had the honour to speak to the man behind the project:

IOL: Please tell us something about your academic background and your early acquaintance with the Qur'an.

I was born in Sharqiyya, Egypt, where I learned the Qur'an by heart in the village. I studied at the primary and secondary religious schools of Al-Azhar in Zagazig and acquired a BA in Arabic and Islamic Studies from the University of Cairo and a PhD from the University of Cambridge. I have been teaching Arabic and Islamic Studies for many years, first in Cambridge and then at the School of Oriental and African Studies in the University of London. Since 1995 I am working as a Professor of Islamic Studies at the University of London, Director of the Centre of Islamic Studies at SOAS, and Editor in Chief of the Journal of Qur'anic Studies (published by Edinburgh University Press). My most recent publications include Understanding the Qur'an: Themes and Style (I.B. Tauris, 2001) and The Qur'an: a New Translation (Oxford University Press, 2004). I am currently working on A Dictionary of Qur'anic Usage together with Elsaid Badawi.

My experience with the Qur’an goes back a very long way to my early childhood when I had to learn it at the village kuttab. After I completed it successfully, it was expected, as it was in many other villages, that I should go to study at Al-Azhar. Before I applied to Al-Azhar, however, I was sent to a Qur’an reciter, a blind lady, to train me further in the recitation. This experience has left a lasting impression on me. I went to the Al-Azhar school in Zagazig, where one of the entry qualifications was to learn the Qur’an by heart. We were orally examined on the Qur’an every year for nine years, by which time it becomes well ingrained in one's memory. Additionally, my late father made me promise him that I would read part of the Qur’an every day of my life. I now read my daily quota while sitting in the London metro.

I have taught the Qur’an to undergraduate and postgraduate students for many years, and a few years ago I introduced a new MA in Islamic Studies that included two new courses: the Qur’an, Language, Style, and Translation into English; and the Hadith, Language, Style and Translation into English. The first one in particular made me more aware of the characteristic features of the language of the Qur’an and how to render certain features unfamiliar to the English language into English. I think that Muslim scholars still have a long road ahead of them in examining the language and style in the Qur’an and writing about it in English and other European languages. This exercise actually helped me in the process of translating the Qur’an.

I recall the wise words of an eminent scholar and head of department in London when I first arrived as a young lecturer. She advised us to ask research students to translate some of the passages they quoted in their research from Arabic and other Islamic languages into English and she said that only by doing that would they come to realize how much they really understood of it. Translation is one of the best exercises in getting down to a very careful examination of what is actually expressed in the source language and then trying one’s best to render it idiomatically into the target language. It is during such a process that one comes to realize how difficult it is to translate the Qur’an into another language: however hard one tries, it is impossible to attain anything near to the grandeur and eloquence of the original Arabic. This must be the feeling of anyone who tries to translate the Qur’an into any other language. However, it has been a challenging, enjoyable, and humbling experience.

IOL: What inspired you to undertake this translation?

Firstly, the feeling expressed by my BA, MA and PhD students, who are native speakers of English, that the existing translations were written in a language that was outdated, difficult to follow, foreign-sounding and unattractive to the reader. Also a feeling that, in some cases, the existing translations do not give an accurate rendering of the meaning of the Arabic.

IOL: In what ways do you think this translation improves upon the already existing renderings of the Qur'an in English?

This translation, it is hoped, is written in contemporary English, free from Arabisms, easy to follow, and based on principles that are vital for determining the meaning of the words in the original-aspects that were sometimes overlooked in earlier translations.

For example,

1. The context, which is crucial in understanding the verses of the Qur'an and determining the meaning of certain terms in their specific context, as they belong to a phenomenon known in Qur’anic studies as wujuh al-qur’an’.

2. Understanding the Arabic words in their classical senses, not in the modern meanings that some words have acquired.

3. Cross-referencing in accordance with the rule that certain parts of the Qur'an explain each other.

These guiding principles are all illustrated by examples in the introduction to the translation.

IOL: What methodology did you apply in the translation process? And how long did it take to complete this project?

The translation was tested several times to see the reaction of undergraduate and postgraduate students, in particular with regard to the clarity, style, and level of language. Several revisions were undertaken over a period of about seven years. Many have shared in the making of this work, and I want to express my gratitude to all those students who helped, and above all my wife for her patience and hard work over the years.

IOL: What are your feelings after completing the translation project?

Satisfaction for having done something people think useful. However, when one compares the translation to the original, one can only feel disappointed. The Arabic with its matchless power and eloquence, its richness and complexity of meaning, and its rhythm and music is certainly untranslatable.

IOL: What are your plans for the future in terms of academic endeavours?

More work on the language and style of the Qur'an. I am also working with Professor Elsaid Badawi on a major dictionary of Qur'anic usage. These are immediate concerns.

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
Assalam Alaykum
was born in Sharqiyya, Egypt, where I learned the Qur'an by heart in the village. I studied at the primary and secondary religious schools of Al-Azhar in Zagazig and acquired a BA in Arabic and Islamic Studies from the University of Cairo and a PhD from the University of Cambridge.

i thing that's Enough he isn't garadulate from Al-Azahar university..due to that no one know him here as aScholar..
cause of Facutly of Arabic and Islamic Studies- Cairo university is general Facutly ..not like Al-Azhar university..

u know if he is here in Egypt ..no one give him permission to translate Quran because he isn't gradulated from Al-Azhar uinversity..

any way to be fajr Enough He is masha` Allah do good Work for Islam..:ma: he help non arab muslim to understand our Quran..Alhamduillah..May Allah blessed him And Reward him paradise Ameen..

Really i thanks islamiconline site to tell us his story in Famous but unknown section sorry i get it All in arabic cause it have more Details
http://www.islamonline.net/arabic/famous/2004/06/article05.SHTML

=======
may Allah Reward u Ukhti for Sharing this Interesting about Dr. Mohammed Abdel Haleem..

i leave u in care of Allah

<wasalam>

MerveZeynep

A Web Site and a Book For that which I knew..

Salaam all,

Has anybody come across a modern english translation of the Quran which is simple to read, as I still yet havent found one.

There are people that are interested in reading the modern translation rather then the traditional english translation.

Jazakallah

There is a web site for your answer:
http://www.al-islam.com/eng/
and I have an English Translate of Qur'an (I think it's beautifull in the modern English translation):

"The Noble Qur'ân
in the English Language

Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ıd-Din Al-Hilâlî
Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khân

İslamic University,
Al-Madinah Al-Munawwarah

DARUSSALAM
Publishers and Distributors
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia"

(Note: This is a mini (pocket) Book which I have..)