Egypt cleric 'to ban full veils'

Idris16

:salam2:

Egypt's highest Muslim authority has said he will issue a religious edict against the growing trend for full women's veils, known as the niqab.

Sheikh Mohamed Tantawi, dean of al-Azhar university, called full-face veiling a custom that has nothing to do with the Islamic faith.

Although most Muslim women in Egypt wear the Islamic headscarf, increasing numbers are adopting the niqab as well.

The practice is widely associated with more radical trends of Islam.

The niqab question reportedly arose when Sheikh Tantawi was visiting a girls' school in Cairo at the weekend and asked one of the students to remove her niqab.

The Egyptian newspaper al-Masri al-Yom quoted him expressing surprise at the girl's attire and telling her it was merely a tradition, with no connection to religion or the Koran.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8290606.stm

Allahu A3lam dont know if this is true but if I remember the shaykh said that women in france could remove their hijab because the gov't forbade hijab.
:wasalam:

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
muslim cleric taking off muslimahs modesty????????

signs of the Last Hour........signs of the Last Hour!

th30n3

Al-Azhar needs to be closed down today as it was closed down in the past because in the past Al-Azhar was filled with Shia'ahs but now its mostly filled with Modernists.

ummyasiin

Striving for Janatul firdous
Al-Azhar needs to be closed down today as it was closed down in the past because in the past Al-Azhar was filled with Shia'ahs but now its mostly filled with Modernists.

I know nothing of theses ppl or places, but what you just said sounded closest to making sense to me.

Salem9022

I agree with the person th30n3, Al-Azhar needs to be closed down. It used to be a 'OK' center for learning about Islam but nowadays its filled with Shias, Tablighies, Ikwanies, even Habashies. Al-Azhar is probably now one of the worst places to learn about Islam along with many other "centers" around the world.

Stick to the real centers of Learning like the Islamic university of Medina and Umm ul Qura University in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.

Salem9022

Also Al-Azhar teaches the Shia Rafhidee 12ver Jafaari Madhab to Students. Its a course that is thought. So if you want to learn about Islam from the Sunnah avoid this University and those who teach in it and are thought in it.

adam_arb

When I read the news item this morning from the BBC, my heart twisted and curled in pain. Where do I start? Should I even bother?

This man has a history of selling out his religion for a good long time. This is just another list of the evil deeds he has committed for “the sake of the Da’wah”. But now, it’s no longer about the Da’wah, but the Government. He stated clearly,

“Most Muslim women in Egypt wear the hijab, a veil that covers the hair, but an increase in women wearing the niqab has apparently alarmed the government.”

And this isn’t any government we are talking about. This is one of the most oppressive, brutal and criminal governments in Muslim history.

Let’s look a little deeper.

He is basing his opinion on a hadeeth which is da’eef, as is refuted here by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthayameen. In addition, there is a Sahih hadeeth reported by both Imam’s where the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alayhi wassallam, said about women on hajj, ”A woman (pilgrim) does not cover her face with a Niqab (i.e. does not tie or affix) nor should she wear gloves.”

Yet Tantawi claims niqab has absolutely nothing to do with Islamic tradition.

This is clearly not an issue of fiqhi difference; rather, he is nothing but a pawn used on a chessboard to further the goals of the Tughaat.

The hijabi sisters, if anything, should rally behind the niqabi sisters in full swing and support for their Islamic right of wearing niqab, even though the hijabi’s may not agree with the obligation (or sunnah) of wearing it.

I also hope our ‘Ulema in Egypt confront this man. The obligation to defend the religion from people like him is obligatory so that the Taghut doesn’t get away with chipping away the religion from the society. A debate on television would be nice.

Shaykh Abu Qatadah said about Tantawi:

“…This is a man who is a failure in every sense – in terms of his character, his faith, and his knowledge. In fact, he is also a failure in terms of his manhood. He is a lowly man, and I cannot find it within myself to say except what Allah has Said regarding his likes: {“Indeed, those who turned back after the Guidance was made clear to them have been deceived by Satan…”}…and here, I put on the record the obligation of faith for the scholars of al-Azhar to declare their disavowal from this lowly, despised Sayyid Tantawi, and to establish for themselves a spirit that is far from him and his authority…

I mention this judgement upon this man because I know that the Muslim who follows his verdicts and actions will not be surprised at what I’m saying, as the proofs for passing this judgement upon him cannot be contained in a single volume. Rather, this requires many volumes of books. However, in case there is a reader who has not followed his history, he might request of me some examples displayed by this man known as Shaykh al-Azhar…”

I agree with the person th30n3, Al-Azhar needs to be closed down. It used to be a 'OK' center for learning about Islam but nowadays its filled with Shias, Tablighies, Ikwanies, even Habashies. Al-Azhar is probably now one of the worst places to learn about Islam along with many other "centers" around the world.

Stick to the real centers of Learning like the Islamic university of Medina and Umm ul Qura University in Makkah, Saudi Arabia.

well i guess it wont b long b4 those places are targeted also...jz a mtter of time when the dajjal comes and also takes grip of saudi except for makkah and medinah.......

When I read the news item this morning from the BBC, my heart twisted and curled in pain. Where do I start? Should I even bother?

This man has a history of selling out his religion for a good long time. This is just another list of the evil deeds he has committed for “the sake of the Da’wah”. But now, it’s no longer about the Da’wah, but the Government. He stated clearly,

“Most Muslim women in Egypt wear the hijab, a veil that covers the hair, but an increase in women wearing the niqab has apparently alarmed the government.”

And this isn’t any government we are talking about. This is one of the most oppressive, brutal and criminal governments in Muslim history.

Let’s look a little deeper.

He is basing his opinion on a hadeeth which is da’eef, as is refuted here by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthayameen. In addition, there is a Sahih hadeeth reported by both Imam’s where the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alayhi wassallam, said about women on hajj, ”A woman (pilgrim) does not cover her face with a Niqab (i.e. does not tie or affix) nor should she wear gloves.”

Yet Tantawi claims niqab has absolutely nothing to do with Islamic tradition.

This is clearly not an issue of fiqhi difference; rather, he is nothing but a pawn used on a chessboard to further the goals of the Tughaat.

The hijabi sisters, if anything, should rally behind the niqabi sisters in full swing and support for their Islamic right of wearing niqab, even though the hijabi’s may not agree with the obligation (or sunnah) of wearing it.

I also hope our ‘Ulema in Egypt confront this man. The obligation to defend the religion from people like him is obligatory so that the Taghut doesn’t get away with chipping away the religion from the society. A debate on television would be nice.

Shaykh Abu Qatadah said about Tantawi:

“…This is a man who is a failure in every sense – in terms of his character, his faith, and his knowledge. In fact, he is also a failure in terms of his manhood. He is a lowly man, and I cannot find it within myself to say except what Allah has Said regarding his likes: {“Indeed, those who turned back after the Guidance was made clear to them have been deceived by Satan…”}…and here, I put on the record the obligation of faith for the scholars of al-Azhar to declare their disavowal from this lowly, despised Sayyid Tantawi, and to establish for themselves a spirit that is far from him and his authority…

I mention this judgement upon this man because I know that the Muslim who follows his verdicts and actions will not be surprised at what I’m saying, as the proofs for passing this judgement upon him cannot be contained in a single volume. Rather, this requires many volumes of books. However, in case there is a reader who has not followed his history, he might request of me some examples displayed by this man known as Shaykh al-Azhar…”

well bro if u use those words against the govt. they will start calling u words like khwarij and kaffir.....well if saudi govt. can do it then so can egyptian govt. :D

Maha*

Having lived in Egypt for a long time now, I can honestly say that the government 'says and says' and rarely 'does'. So no action will be taken, as usual. No fear AT ALL for the niqabbis.

ahmed_indian

to Allah we belong
Having lived in Egypt for a long time now, I can honestly say that the government 'says and says' and rarely 'does'. So no action will be taken, as usual. No fear AT ALL for the niqabbis.

really? wow...ur words must be a relief for egyptian muslim sisters.

one thing is really strange...the cleric do not want to ban skirts, tight jeans but niqab.

i can almost see whose working for whom!

Hard Rock Moslem

I'm your brother
Couple of months ago my friend frm France came over, he is morrocan arab by birth. He told me about this, that stupid Tsarkozy went to see this cleric and ask him to give fatwa that niqab is not mandatory and apparently this cleric agreed. I did not dig further but could not believe like "how can such a respected cleric do this..." playing in my mind. Of course, it is not mandatory in Islam but this fatwa discourage or preventing our sisters from exercising their rights. Now our enemies will be jumping in joy.

I believe sister revert2007 will be most affected as she just started putting on niqab. So sad we living with this kind of cleric.

a_stranger

Quran and Sunna

Hadith - Bukhari 6:282

'Aisha used to say: "When (the Verse): 'They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms,' was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces."

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin

When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

Tafseer - Ibn Katheer
"Allah commanded the muslim women to cover this sheet on top of them to cover their bodies except one eye, when it is necessary for them to come out of their homes."

Tafseer - Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.III, p.457
Imam Muhammad bin Sirin said: "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith (ra) the meaning of this verse and how the jalbaab was to worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"

Tafseer - Alu'si, Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol. 22, p. 89
"Ibn Jarir Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir described the method of wearing the jalbaab according to Ibn Abbas (ra) and Qatadah (ra). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity). Hadith - Recorded by Ahmad, Abu Dawud and ibn Majah, Narrated 'Aisha. [In his work Jilbab al-Marah al-Muslimah, al-Albani states (p. 108) that it is hasan due to corroborating evidence. Also, in a narration from Asma, Asma also covered her face at all times in front of men.]

Narrated 'Aisha (RA) who said, "The riders would pass us while we were with the Messenger of Allah ). When they got close to us, we would draw our outer cloak from our heads over our faces. When they passed by, we would uncover our faces."
According to Shaikh ibn Uthaimin, "she is not required to cover her face during the prayer unless there are non-related men around her. She must then cover her face from them, as it is not allowed for a woman to uncover her face except to her husband and her male relatives i.e., mahram."

a_stranger

What the hadith says

Hadith - Muwatta 20.16
Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa that Fatima bint al-Mundhir said, "We used to veil our faces when we were in ihram in the company of Asma bint Abi Bakr as-Siddiq."

The following Fatawa is from Sheikh Ibn Uthaimin:

"The Islamic hijab is for the women to cover everything that is forbidden for her to expose. That is, she covers everything that she must cover.

"The first of those bodily parts that she must cover is her face. It is the source of temptation and the source of people desiring her. Therefore, the woman must cover her face in front of those men that are not Mahram (i.e. father, huband, etc.).

revert2007

Love Fishing
Couple of months ago my friend frm France came over, he is morrocan arab by birth. He told me about this, that stupid Tsarkozy went to see this cleric and ask him to give fatwa that niqab is not mandatory and apparently this cleric agreed. I did not dig further but could not believe like "how can such a respected cleric do this..." playing in my mind. Of course, it is not mandatory in Islam but this fatwa discourage or preventing our sisters from exercising their rights. Now our enemies will be jumping in joy.

I believe sister revert2007 will be most affected as she just started putting on niqab. So sad we living with this kind of cleric.

inshaAllah everything is fine.i just wore my niqab out.i went out with my mother in law and my son to the supermarket..i feel so great mashaAllah.no one dares to look at me and they lower their gaze...inshaAllah i will continue to wear it.plz make dua for me so that i can practise my religion according to Allah's way.