Anyone aware of this documentary?

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
:salam2:

I was referred to a trailer of a documentary called:

"Qura'an: Contemporary Connections"

I wish to purchase the DVD so I'd watch it..but I wanted to know if any fellow TTI has done so already..I would like to hear what you thought of it..so far the trailer *sounds* good..but it's *bits* only so I couldn't draw a strong conclusion from it

here's the trailer of the documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5EcFJyLqto

:wasalam:

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I haven't watched the documentary. I just wanted to point a few things.

I dont know if you have noticed that the runtime is only 43 minutes and its priced quite high at $22-24.

So, if you are a college/university student, you can request your library to purchase it from their 'Educational Audio and Visual Library' dept. That way you can save money plus you can make the resource available for other's at your college/university if you are currently at one.

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I haven't watched the documentary. I just wanted to point a few things.

I dont know if you have noticed that the runtime is only 43 minutes and its priced quite high at $22-24.

So, if you are a college/university student, you can request your library to purchase it from their 'Educational Audio and Visual Library' dept. That way you can save money plus you can make the resource available for other's at your college/university if you are currently at one.

Jazaka Allah every khair for taking the time to reply akhi!..I really appreciate it

Alhamduliallah money is no issue for me..so it's not a problem for me to purchase the dvd regardless of its duration and price..and I actually do wish to purchase it so my younger brothers would learn about their deen a little :)

However you gave me an excellent idea in that if I were to find the information on it to be credible and authentic I can ask the library to purchase one for the benefit of others in my university (especially since it has an MSA)..it's a wonderful idea mashallah!..it didn't even cross my mind..so baraka Allaho feek for it!

Inshallah someone will swing by and tell us about the credibility and authenticity of the information presented within it

Thanks again akhi

Salem9022

I dont know why people make Documantaries and waste millions and millions of Dollars with special effects in them just so to say Suicide is Forbidden in Islam.

The Issue of Suicide has already been established by the scholars of Islam from Salafioon and all of them say its forbidden. All the Major Ullema in Saudia have said Killing ones self if it is not done in Ignorance, will lead you to Jahanam for Enternity. and these types of Suicide or Martyrdom Operations are Suicide and will lead you to Jahanam if it is not done in Ignorance.

Also None of them in that Video are Scholars of Islam so there Opinions even though its correct doesnt have any weight because they are not from the Ullema Kabeer. We have to take our religion from the Ullemaa and thier students.

[yt]UWEY4CdTdE8[/yt]

[yt]TKgP6EXIfN4&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]1Cmnp1lX1Dg&feature=related[/yt]

Quran 4:29 O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly except it be a trade amongst you, by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.

Hadith Qudsi 28: On the authority of Jundub ibn Abdullah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: There was amongst those before you a man who had a wound. He was in [such] anguish that he took a knife and made with it a cut in his hand, and the blood did not cease to flow till he died. Allah the Almighty said: My servant has himself forestalled Me; I have forbidden him Paradise. It was related by al-Bukhari.

Sahih Muslim Book 035, Number 6480:
Anas (b. Malik) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying. None of you should make a request for death because of the trouble in which he is involved, but if there is no other help to it, then say: O Allah, keep me alive as long as there is goodness in life for me and bring death to me when there is goodness in death for me.

Sahih Muslim Book 035, Number 6485: Hammam b. Munabbih said: Abu Huraira narrated to us ahadith from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and out of these one is that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: None amongst you should make a request for death, and do not call for it before it comes, for when any one of you dies, he ceases (to do good) deeds and the life of a believer is not prolonged but for goodness.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 71, Number 670: Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever."

Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 445: Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak: The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "Whoever intentionally swears falsely by a religion other than Islam, then he is what he has said, (e.g. if he says, 'If such thing is not true then I am a Jew,' he is really a Jew). And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell Fire." Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
I dont know why people make Documantaries and waste millions and millions of Dollars with special effects in them just so to say Suicide is Forbidden in Islam.

The Issue of Suicide has already been established by the scholars of Islam from Salafioon and all of them say its forbidden. All the Major Ullema in Saudia have said Killing ones self if it is not done in Ignorance, will lead you to Jahanam for Enternity. and these types of Suicide or Martyrdom Operations are Suicide and will lead you to Jahanam if it is not done in Ignorance.

Also None of them in that Video are Scholars of Islam so there Opinions even though its correct doesnt have any weight because they are not from the Ullema Kabeer. We have to take our religion from the Ullemaa and thier students.

[yt]UWEY4CdTdE8[/yt]

[yt]TKgP6EXIfN4&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]1Cmnp1lX1Dg&feature=related[/yt]

Quran 4:29 O you who believe! Eat not up your property among yourselves unjustly except it be a trade amongst you, by mutual consent. And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you.

Hadith Qudsi 28: On the authority of Jundub ibn Abdullah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said: There was amongst those before you a man who had a wound. He was in [such] anguish that he took a knife and made with it a cut in his hand, and the blood did not cease to flow till he died. Allah the Almighty said: My servant has himself forestalled Me; I have forbidden him Paradise. It was related by al-Bukhari.

Sahih Muslim Book 035, Number 6480:
Anas (b. Malik) reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying. None of you should make a request for death because of the trouble in which he is involved, but if there is no other help to it, then say: O Allah, keep me alive as long as there is goodness in life for me and bring death to me when there is goodness in death for me.

Sahih Muslim Book 035, Number 6485: Hammam b. Munabbih said: Abu Huraira narrated to us ahadith from Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) and out of these one is that Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: None amongst you should make a request for death, and do not call for it before it comes, for when any one of you dies, he ceases (to do good) deeds and the life of a believer is not prolonged but for goodness.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 71, Number 670: Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever."

Sahih Bukhari Volume 2, Book 23, Number 445: Narrated Thabit bin Ad-Dahhak: The Prophet (p.b.u.h) said, "Whoever intentionally swears falsely by a religion other than Islam, then he is what he has said, (e.g. if he says, 'If such thing is not true then I am a Jew,' he is really a Jew). And whoever commits suicide with piece of iron will be punished with the same piece of iron in the Hell Fire." Narrated Jundab the Prophet said, "A man was inflicted with wounds and he committed suicide, and so Allah said: My slave has caused death on himself hurriedly, so I forbid Paradise for him."

The documentary does not address this controversial issue *only*..it speaks of an array of topics (briefly but *clearly* previewed in the various clips within the trailer)..as for them not being scholars..akhi..I am sure they won't be speaking about *the amount of zakat paid for gold and jewelry* or *Ahkaam At-ta'azeer*..so whether or not they are scholars won't be an issue for me inshallah..they are giving perspectives based on individual research asked of them *independently*..and it would be interesting to watch what they have to say about their findings and share it with others (especially non-Muslims who would most likely pay *more attention* if a non-Muslim or a convert like *them* presents information for them)..projects like these (should they contain information..thorough and correct without any botched agendas) should be supported by us Muslims..because they are an attempt at making da'awah..and every bit of da'awah counts..and so does every bit of support..I don't think two people would disagree on this..

And jazaka Allah khair for the information and clips you provided

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

I just got an email from my university that they have ordered the DVD. Insha'Allah will reply in this thread about what I thought about it when i get my hands on it and watch it. :)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I just got an email from my university that they have ordered the DVD. Insha'Allah will reply in this thread about what I thought about it when i get my hands on it and watch it. :)

Wow!..I would really appreciate it if you did do that akhi..and jazaka Allah every khair in advance!

BrotherInIslam7

La Illaha Illa Allah
Staff member

So I finally watched the DVD,had almost forgotten about it. Though I haven't watched a lot of Islamic documentaries, I think they have done a pretty decent job. The documentary revolves around the explanation of Islam as seen and understood by eight 'experts/academics' on Islam, some of them 'scholars of comparative religion', though I don't know if all of them are muslim.

(I am going to briefly sum up what the documentary contains).

The documentary starts of by briefly mentioning about the 6th century Arabia and the evils that existed at that time, before the prophethood.

It then talks about Quran and how it's message is valid for all humanity and not just muslims.

Then they explain the concept of God according to Surah Ikhlas and Ayat ul Qursi and mention that 'Allah' as the One and Only God, the same god of all Abrahamic faith.

It then talks about the creations of Allah and about 'fitrah' and how nature submits will to Allah and is 'muslim'.

It then talks about creation of 'Adam' (A.S) and how Allah swt honored humans as his representatives on earth.

It also mentions that muslims don't worship Muhammad (SAW) but greatly revere and love him as he is best person to walk this earth.

The second part of the documentary which deals with 'family' , 'men and society' and 'Women' is really well presented. It would certainly portray a good positive image of Islam to non-muslims, if they were to view it.

It emphasizes the importance of marriage and the condemnation of zina, same sex marriage , homosexuality etc.

It talks about how Islam gave rights to women such as owning property etc in the 7th century which the western women have come to enjoy only in the recent past.

I particularly liked the explanation by Jonathan Brown (who is a revert btw) about 'modesty' in Islam. The way he puts it is easy for any non muslim to understand the position of Islam on women covering up.

The last and largest segment is reserved for the highly sensitive and controversial subject of 'Jihad'. They explain how it doesn't mean 'holy war' and that 'holy war' was actually coined by a Pope in 11th century during the Christian crusades against Muslims. And muslims were referred to as 'infidels' (Now that's something I didn't know !).

They also explain that Islam has rules and regulations for combat as well and that women and children can't be harmed and places of worship can't be destroyed etc.

It ends with a philosophical epilogue. " God doesn't live in Mt Sinai or Makkah. He lives in the souls and intellect". I am highly doubtful that it is Islamically accepted view.

The only thing that I feel they left out is '5 pillars of Islam' and ' 6 articles of faith'.

Anyhow, it was a worthwhile investment of time and is a good watch for people who are getting introduced to Islam. A lot of good potential dawah material in the second half of the documentary. Jonathan Brown, Joseph Lumbard and Nancy Ali are the pick of the lot among the panel who contributed to this documentary.

Sister a_muslimah86, I hope you have got a good idea about it if you haven't already purchased it.

Wasalaamalaikum waa rahmatullahi.. :)