Safiyah Bint Huyeiy Ibn Akhtab

ShyHijabi

Safiyah Bint Huyeiy Ibn Akhtab was one of the wives of Prophet Mohamed (PBUH). She was the daughter of Huyeiy Ibn Akhtab, the chief of the Banu Nadir tribe, who were all expelled from Madinah in 4 AH after plotting to kill the Messenger of Allah (PBUH). She was known for her extreme beauty. She did not only love Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) deeply, but also greatly respected him as Allah's Messenger. She was intelligent, learned and gentle. In fact, gentleness and patience were her dominant qualities. She had many good moral qualities.

She was married to Kinana ibn al-Rabi'a just before the Muslims attacked Khaibar. She was then seventeen. She had formerly been the wife of Sallam ibn Mishkam, who divorced her.

She married Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) in 7 AH, when the Prophet was sixty years old and she was seventeen years old. As in the case of juwayriyya bint Harith, this marriage occurred after one of the Muslims' decisive battles, in this case, the battle was Khaybar.

After the battle of Khaybar in which the Muslims defeated the Jews, two women were brought before Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) by Bilal. They had passed by those who had been killed in the battle. One of the two women was shrieking and screaming, and rubbing dust in her hair, while the other was mute with shock.

The who was mute with shock was Safiyah, the other one was her cousin. Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) asked someone to look after the woman who was screaming and then took off his cloak and placed it over the shoulders of Safiyah, whose husband had been killed in the battle.

It was a gesture of pity, but from that moment she was to be honored and given great respect in the Muslim community.

After doing this Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) turned to Bilal and said:

"Bilal, has Allah plucked mercy from your heart that you let these two women pass by those of their men folk who have been killed?"

This was considered a severe reprimand, for the Messenger of Allah (PBUH), who rarely criticized the behaviour of those who served him.

Like Um Habiba, Safiyah was the daughter of a great chief. The only person who could save her from becoming a slave after having enjoyed such a high position was Prophet Mohamed (PBUH).

Even thought her father had previously planned to assassinate Mohamed after the battle of Uhud, and had conspired with the Banu Qurayza to exterminate all the Muslims during the battle of al-Khandaq, it was characteristic of Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) that he did not bear any grudges for those who did wrong. He felt pity rather than anger, and for those who had done no wrong, he had even greater compassion.

Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) then invited Safiyah to embrace Islam, which she did, and after having given her her freedom, he married her.

Safiyah had requested the Prophet to wait till he had gone a stage away from Khaibar.

"Why?" asked the Prophet.

"I was afraid for you on account of the Jews who still happened to be near at Khaibar!"

Many people wondered how could Safiyah embrace Islam and marry Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) when her father had been his bitter enemy, and when bloody battles had taken place between the Jews and the Muslims.

The answer may be found in what she has related of her early life as the daughter of the chief of the Banu Nadir. She said:

"I was my father and my uncle Yasir�s favorite. They could never see me with one of their children without picking me up. When the Messenger of Allah came to Madinah, my father and my uncle went to see him. It was very early in the morning and between dawn and sunrise. They did not return until the sun was setting. They came back worn out and depressed, walking with slow, heavy steps. I smiled to them as I always did, but neither of them took any notice of me because they were so miserable. I heared Abu Yasir ask my father:

'Is it him?'

'Yes, it is.'

'Can you recognize him? Can you verify it?'

'Yes, I can recognize him too well.'

'What do you feel towards him?'

'Enmity, enmity as long as I live.'

The significance of this conversation is evident when we recall that in the Torah of the Jews, it was written that a Prophet would come who would lead those who followed him to victory. Indeed before the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) came to Madinah, the Jews used to threaten the idol worshippers of Yathrib, as it was then called, that when the next Prophet comes to the believers, they will exterminate them, just as the Jews had exterminated other tribes who refused to worship God in the past.

Just as the Prophet Jesus, who had been clearly described in the Torah been rejected by many of the Jews when he actually came - the next and last Prophet was accurately described in the Torah, which also contained signs by which the Jews could easily recognize him.

Thus Ka'b al-Ahbar, one of the Jews of that time who embraced Islam, relates that this Prophet is described in the Torah as follows:

'My slave, Ahmad, the Chosen, born in Makkah, who will emigrate to Madinah (or he said Tayyiba - another name given to Yathrib); his community will be those who praise Allah in every state.'

And Amr ibn al-Aas said that it also says in the Torah:

�O Prophet, We have sent you as a witness, a bringer of good news and a Warner and a refuge for the illiterate. You are My slave and My messenger. I have called you the one on whom people rely, one who is neither coarse nor vulgar, and who neither shouts in the markets nor repays evil with evil, but rather pardons and forgives. Allah will not take him back to Himself until he has straightened out the crooked community and they say, �There is no god but Allah.� Through him, blind eyes, deaf ears and covered hearts will be opened.�

It was according to these descriptions in the Torah, that the most learned rabbi of the Jews, Abdullah ibn Salam, had embraced Islam on seeing Mohammed and it was because of these descriptions that Huyeiy ibn Akhtal was also able to recognize him.

Although Safiyah was Huyeiy's daughter, she had a pure heart and had always wanted to worship her Creator and Lord, the One who had sent Moses, to whom she was related, and Jesus, and finally Mohamed, may Allah be pleased with all of them.

Thus as soon as she got the opportunity, she did not only follow the last Prophet, but also married him.

Although Safiyah had in Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) a most kind and considerate husband, she was not always favorably accepted by some of his other wives, especially when she had first joined the Prophet's household.

It is related by Anas that on one occasion, Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) found Safiyah weeping. When he asked her what the matter was, she replied that she heard that Hafsahh had disparagingly described her as 'the daughter of a Jew'.

The Prophet consoled her. He encouraged her. He equipped her with logic by saying to her: "You are certainly the daughter of a Prophet Harun, and certainly your uncle was a Prophet Musa, and you are certainly the wife of a Prophet Mohammed, so what is there in that to be scornful towards you?"

Then he said to Hafsah, "O Hafsah, fear Allah!"

Safiyah and Zainab bint Jahsh once accompanied the Prophet on a journey, when Safiyah's camel went lame. Zainab had an extra camel and the Prophet asked her if she would give it to Safiyah. Zainab retorted, "Should I give to that Jewess!" The Prophet turned away from her in anger and would not have anything to do with her for two months to show his disapproval of what she had said.

Three years later, when Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) was in his final illness, Safiyah felt deep and sincere sadness for him. She said: "O Messenger of Allah, I wish it was I who was suffering instead of you."

Some of the wives winked at each other, which made the Prophet angry, and he exclaimed: "By Allah, she spoke the truth!"

Safiyah also faced some difficulties after the death of Prophet Mohamed (PBUH).

On one occasion a slave girl she owned went to the Amir al Muminin Omar and said: "Amir al Muminin! Safiyah loves the Sabbath and maintains ties with the Jews!" Omar asked Safiyah about that and she said: "I have not loved the Sabbath since Allah replaced it with Friday for me, and I only maintain ties with those Jews to whom I am related by kinship." She asked her slave girl what had possessed her to carry lies to Omar and the girl replied, "Shaytan!" Safiyah said, "Go, you are free."

Safiyah lived with Prophet Mohamed (PBUH) for about four years, She was only twenty-one when he died, and lived as a widow for the next thirty-nine years, dying in 50 AH, at the age of sixty (may Allah be pleased with her) and was buried in al Baqi cemetery. She left property worth one hundred thousand dirhams leaving one-third for her nephew, and the rest was given in charity.

Source: http://islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=1154

ShyHijabi

Salaam,

I feel the most empathy for this Mother of the believers due to my background. Due to my Jewish heritage I am often subtly accused of being a "fake Muslim" or occasionally outright accused of being some sort of spy. The cost of my conversion was quite heavy and I question how many of these accusers would've been strong enough to be cast out of their family and tribe for the sake of Allah? The pain of having the authenticity of my conversion, or the motivation, has wounded me even more deeply than being cast out by my blood relatives.

I spent some brief yet achingly lonely years without any family or kin. When Eid rolled around I was often alone as my fellow (local) Muslims were not inclined to invite nonrelatives to their celebrations. During this time I was sent PMs on occasion with pretty nasty messages from so-called "born Muslims" stating that I was a cursed person and that my family was apes and pigs. (nevermind that they were taking a ayah completely out of context)

Of course I received a greater majority of PMs from good brothers and sisters sending encouragement and kindness...and honestly it was the only thing that kept me from complete despair. I am a human being, created by the Almighty, but I am incredibly weak and frail emotionally. I struggled daily with the whispers of shaitaan, and still do occasionally, but mostly kept these struggles to myself. You see even voicing these doubts and concerns would've bolstered the accusers claims that I was not a "real" Muslim. I find this humourous (cynically so) because even the most greatest men of Allah struggled with whispers and pain.

Please brothers and sisters, I beseech you to remember that the greatest prophet was most compassionate and gentle. Too often I see postings here that are harshly phrased and basically rigid without taking in the person's background and struggles. (especially those that are researching Islam for the sake of conversion) I wonder how many people were turned away from Islam due to someone's cruel and harsh words? I wonder how bad our puninshment will be in the hereafter for committing such a sin? We are all sinners, struggling to choose the right path and please Allah swt. I love you all for the sake of Allah.

Wasalaam

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
And Amr ibn al-Aas said that it also says in the Torah:

�O Prophet, We have sent you as a witness, a bringer of good news and a Warner and a refuge for the illiterate. You are My slave and My messenger. I have called you the one on whom people rely, one who is neither coarse nor vulgar, and who neither shouts in the markets nor repays evil with evil, but rather pardons and forgives. Allah will not take him back to Himself until he has straightened out the crooked community and they say, �There is no god but Allah.� Through him, blind eyes, deaf ears and covered hearts will be opened.�

http://islamonline.com/news/newsfull.php?newid=1154

This bit gave me chills and made me tear up..sobhanallah!..

Sister Shyhijabi..I think the content of your thread will tug at the hearts of many (as it did with mine)..indeed in our mother Safiyyah (raa) we can find an honor to endear and be proud of..and in her *marriage* to Rasulullah (saaws) we can find a wisdom and a divine message of tolerance and extension of respect towards those extending it to us as well..

Baraka Allaho feeki fel dunya wal akhirah..wa jazaki jannatul Firdaws..Ameen!

:wasalam:

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum dear sister in Islam,

By time, (1) Indeed, mankind is in loss, (2) Except for those who have believed and done righteous deeds and advised each other to truth and advised each other to patience. (3) 103:1-3. (Emphasis mine)

Allah Subhanahu wata'ala states that whoever donot fulfill all the above mentioned criteria is in loss.

The people who throw dirt on you donot realise that Allah says

O you who believe! Avoid most of suspicion, for surely suspicion in some cases is a sin, and do not spy nor let some of you backbite others. Does one of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? But you abhor it; and be careful of (your duty to) Allah, surely Allah is Oft-returning (to mercy), Merciful. 49:12 (Al-Hujurath).

We know that, Allah says

And every soul shall be paid back fully what it has done, and He knows best what they do. 39:70 (AzZumar)

Those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure 39:10 (AzZumar)

And the recompense of evil is punishment like it, but whoever forgives and amends, he shall have his reward from Allah 42:40 (Ash-Shura)

And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint,- none but persons of the greatest good fortune. 41:35 (Al-Fussilat)

No servant pardons but Allah grants him honor (Hadith. Apologies, donot have reference at the moment, but it is sahih)

Your posts have an uncanny knack of touching our hearts. I can only empathise with you. Forive them as Allah says 'But if anyone remits the retaliation by way of charity, it shall be for him an expiation' 5:45 (Al-Ma’idah)

On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear 2:286 (Al Baqara)

You are always in our duas and may Allah grant you paradise

Salam

hassana elkoussi

:salam2: dear sister,

Your post is a real shock to me, I never expected you to face such an ordeal. I always thought of you as a sincere, knowledgeable and respectable Muslimah and do wonder how the auhenticity of your conversion would be questioned. I have no comment to yuor post but to apologize deeply on behalf of all those who hurt you and to repeat to them the Prophet's (PBUH) same words: " Fear Allah."
:tti_sister: May Allah SWT make up for you these years of pain and loneliness both in this dunya and the hereafter.

Salam:hearts:

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member
Salaam,

I feel the most empathy for this Mother of the believers due to my background. Due to my Jewish heritage I am often subtly accused of being a "fake Muslim" or occasionally outright accused of being some sort of spy. The cost of my conversion was quite heavy and I question how many of these accusers would've been strong enough to be cast out of their family and tribe for the sake of Allah? The pain of having the authenticity of my conversion, or the motivation, has wounded me even more deeply than being cast out by my blood relatives.

I spent some brief yet achingly lonely years without any family or kin. When Eid rolled around I was often alone as my fellow (local) Muslims were not inclined to invite nonrelatives to their celebrations. During this time I was sent PMs on occasion with pretty nasty messages from so-called "born Muslims" stating that I was a cursed person and that my family was apes and pigs. (nevermind that they were taking a ayah completely out of context)

Of course I received a greater majority of PMs from good brothers and sisters sending encouragement and kindness...and honestly it was the only thing that kept me from complete despair. I am a human being, created by the Almighty, but I am incredibly weak and frail emotionally. I struggled daily with the whispers of shaitaan, and still do occasionally, but mostly kept these struggles to myself. You see even voicing these doubts and concerns would've bolstered the accusers claims that I was not a "real" Muslim. I find this humourous (cynically so) because even the most greatest men of Allah struggled with whispers and pain.

Please brothers and sisters, I beseech you to remember that the greatest prophet was most compassionate and gentle. Too often I see postings here that are harshly phrased and basically rigid without taking in the person's background and struggles. (especially those that are researching Islam for the sake of conversion) I wonder how many people were turned away from Islam due to someone's cruel and harsh words? I wonder how bad our puninshment will be in the hereafter for committing such a sin? We are all sinners, struggling to choose the right path and please Allah swt. I love you all for the sake of Allah.

Wasalaam

Your words made me think very hard sister..and certainly fear the possibility that with my words or actions I may have caused an arrow of despair to be shot into the heart of a *potential* brother or sister..a lot of times our *passion* for this deen can blind us from the swerves on *good* that shaitan makes so it would all turn into *evil*..we have many people who have fallen into the trap of being *literal* and perhaps even *flat-out ignorant*..and simply put..it is *an utter shame*..that amongst *Muslims*..we have these two problems (amongst many others)..if I may I would like to share a personal reflection with you..as your words reminded me of a dear friend of mine who told me about her *grandmother*...

Ya ukhti...I was telling this dear friend about converts and their struggles..let's just say..I was having a general talk...she didn't say anything so I thought I bored her and apologized..she said *no you didn't bore me you made me think of my grandmother*..I laughed and asked her *why your grandmother?!*..she said *because my grandmother is a convert*..I was UTTERLY SHOCKED by that revelation as this sister is born to a Saudi father and an Iraqi mother (for a second I even forgot that in Iraq there's an accumulative population of non-Muslims)..and she had lived all of her life between these two countries..she said "I know you're shocked but my paternal grandmother who is in Saudi Arabia right now is like I said a convert to Islam"..she then told me about her story..

Her grandmother converted to Islam secretly at first..and one day when her family planned to migrate from Iraq to another land..she refused to go..when her family asked why..she said I want to stay here amongst the Muslims I know..when everyone was puzzled..she revealed that she had become a Muslim..upon knowing that..her family asked her to apostate..when she refused..they threatened to kill her..and were planning on having her relatives do that..but luckily..she managed to escape the house..but she was pretty much homeless and roaming the streets all on her own in Iraq in the 1940's!!! (imagine her situation!)..with nobody to help her and fear filling her heart..then Allah Guided her to enter a masjid..she sat there all day..a man looking after the masjid came to check on things before he left..and he saw a woman sitting in a corner at that late hour of the night..so he gave her a salam and asked her if she has a house to return to because he will be leaving and no one will stay in the masjid..she began to cry and told him her story..so he told her to not worry and spend the night in the masjid..until he figures something out..so he told her that he will lock all the doors and leave and come again before fajr..after fajr he came to her and said to her "if you have no help in this town and no longer have a family then I will take you for a wife and build one with you"..and told her to think about the offer..before he left the masjid again..he came to ask her for her decision and she agreed..so they married and he took her to another country...and many years later this couple became the grandmother and grandfather of this friend of mine...

Now you might wonder why I shared this *particular* story with you..well..

The woman in the story is an Iraqi Jew..and the man who married her was an Arab man from Saudi Arabia..an Imam of a masjid..who was visiting an Iraqi friend of his (also an Imam)..and was *temporarily* (literally for the duration of his stay!) taking the duties of an imam for the masjid that woman entered...like you..she left her family..like you she suffered..and like you she was rejected by fellow Muslims (she tried to receive help from neighbors but they feared her family would accuse them of horrid things so they did not take her in)..and like you she suffered loneliness in the most critical of times..when her family wanted to migrate to Palestine..she preferred to reveal her conversion and risk her life..over doing something which may harm her faith...

My friend told me that the reason why the entire family practices Islam (now in current times!) is because of her *grandmother* who was once that helpless and scared woman roaming the streets!!!..*she* had influenced *everyone* with her faith and practice even more than her *husband* who is an *Imam*..imagine what kind of a Muslim she is then sister!..she said everyone who knows her calls her "the angel" because everyone sees her face shining as if a light is pointed at it and because she's known for her piousness amongst the people in her community..mashallah!!!..la ilaha illa Allah!!!..when she (i.e. my friend) asks her grandmother if she ever misses the family she left she says to her "I left them for Allah's sake and He (swt) compensated me with your grandfather and then all of you, and the latter is more dear to me than the first because the latter is a result of Allah's Generosity"...and sobhanallah..when her eldest son married..he married a woman from Mosul, Iraq..the same city and country she came from..so she always says to her DIL.."Allah has compensated my longing for my city by having my son marry you"

Wallahi sister..if people fail to honor you and treat you according to what pleases Allah..then trust that Allah (swt) will compensate you at least with a life impacting others to do utmost good...

If I were to specify..and speak of the Jewish converts I know..then I would have to share the three stories I know very well..

The first..would be that of Sayidatina Safiyyah (raa)..
The second would be that of my friend's grandmother..
And the third would be *yours*...

So what's my reflection?!

For all of you to carry the mountains of despair upon your shoulders tells me something about *the iman* that gave you the will to carry on and on..and for all of you to be considered fragile by many ignorant individuals only due to your *womanhood* yet persevering with a head held high and the pearls of patience and wisdom adorning your necks..tells me something about *the sincerity of that iman*..no spy..and no liar..can take a burden as petty as a cowardous PM with words harsh and wicked like the hearts beating within their chests..no spy..and no liar..would take all of what each of you women..and all others with stories like yours..had to go through..if there's anything indicative of your *victory* it is your *strength* and your *sound surrender and trust* in Allah (swt)..and isn't that what *every Muslim* is after?!..surrendering to Allah and placing trust in Him (swt)?!

Pardon me for making my reply so lengthy..and once again dear sister..may Allah (swt) grant you jannat al-firdaws as reward for your faith..practice..and endurance..Ameen!

:wasalam:

Abu_Luqmann

Assalamualaikum,

Allah subhanahu wata'ala says in Surah Al-Qasas

Those to whom We gave the Scripture before it - they are believers in it. (52) And when it is recited to them, they say, "We have believed in it; indeed, it is the truth from our Lord. Indeed we were, [even] before it, Muslims [submitting to Allah]." (53) Those will be given their reward twice for what they patiently endured and [because] they avert evil through good, and from what We have provided them they spend. (54) And when they hear ill speech, they turn away from it and say, "For us are our deeds, and for you are your deeds. Peace will be upon you; we seek not the ignorant." (55)

It was reported in the Sahih from the Hadith of `Amir Ash-Sha`bi from Abu Burdah that Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari, may Allah be pleased with him, said that the Messenger of Allah said:
There are three who will be given their reward twice: a man among the People of the Book who believed in his Prophet then believed in me; a slave who fulfills his duty towards Allah and towards his master; and a man who has a slave woman and educates her and teaches her good manners, then he frees her and marries her.) (Fath AlBari 1:229)

Imam Ahmad recorded that Abu Umamah said: "On the day of the Conquest ﴿of Makkah﴾ I was walking alongside the Messenger of Allah as he was riding, and he said some very beautiful words, including the following:
Whoever among the people of the two Books becomes Muslim, he will have his reward twice, and he has the same rights and duties as we do. Whoever among the idolators becomes Muslim will have one reward, and he has the same rights and duties as we do.)'' (Ahmed 5:259)

Emphasis mine
Reference: Tafsir Ibn Kathir

salam

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
Assalamu Aleykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaathuh sister Sarah. Mashallah this is a VERY inspiring and touching story! Allahu Akbar! :) I even try using this as a ways to show Muslims of why it's Haraam to be racist against Jews, because one of our mothers, Umm al Mumineen, was Jewish. And seeing that you're Jewish, sister Sarah, I think that's VERY cool! :) Mashallah!

And it's also great that Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla has given us a gifted sister like you, a true blessing from him. :) So DON'T listen to what those other fools say to you because you're Jewish sister Sarah, okay? :)

And Mashallah sister Sarah, Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla has given us ALL a blessing by making one of our Mothers of the Faithful to be from amongst the Jews, a MUMINAH from amongst the Jews, and so it shows how much HONOR that all our brothers and sisters from Judaism have, that one of the wives of Rasulallah (SAW) was Jewish, and ALHAMDULILLAH for that. :)

^Sorry if I sounded a bit weird, but I HAD to say all of that. :)

I think this thread should be made sticky (or *thumbtacked* to the Islamic Discussions Board). :)

FreedomFighter

:salam2:

^ sister Sarah is a Muslim, not jew. she used to be jew, so that why sometimes she is saying that the Muslims accuse her of being fake Muslim and spy, which shouldnt be.

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

BUT she's still from Bani Israel, which I personally, do NOT have a problem with.

Sorry if I might have sounded a bit rude in my words (I think I might do that at times), forgive me sisters, because I only intended to try to make us all feel encouraged to strive towards Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, and I had NO intention to offend anyone. :(

revert2007

Love Fishing
Salaam,

Wasalaam
u hv well said sister.when i converted i lost all my family members except my mom who still acceots me and encouraged me.

not all muslim born people were really welcoming.there are some asked me,Why did u convert.why do u wear hijab.i wasnt surprise though

but again Allah gives His light to those He wants to give.......

do not worry as long as Allah is with us.anyone could turn their back and walk away from our life...but Allah will never as long as we obey Him

FreedomFighter

BUT she's still from Bani Israel, which I personally, do NOT have a problem with.

Sorry if I might have sounded a bit rude in my words (I think I might do that at times), forgive me sisters, because I only intended to try to make us all feel encouraged to strive towards Allah Subhanahu wa Ta Alla, and I had NO intention to offend anyone. :(

^ sister Sarah is a Muslim, not jew. she used to be jew, so that why sometimes she is saying that the Muslims accuse her of being fake Muslim and spy, which shouldnt be.

sry if i sounded harsh, i didnt mean to.