ZamZam Water: The Benefit and Scientific Research Findings

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
ZamZam Water: Scientific Research Findings

Research by Tariq Hussain, Riyadh, By MOINUDDIN AHMED
Come the Hajj season, and I am reminded of the wonders of Zamzam water.
Let me go back to how it all started. In 1971, an Egyptian doctor wrote to the European press, a letter saying that Zamzam water was not fit for drinking purposes. I immediately thought that this was just a form of prejudice against the Muslims and that since his statement was based on the assumption that since the Ka'aba was a shallow place (below sea level) and located in the center of the city of Makkah, the wastewater of the city collecting through the drains fell into the well holding the water.

Fortunately, the news came to King Faisal's ears who got extremely angry and decided to disprove the Egyptian doctor's provocative statement. He immediately ordered the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources to investigate and send samples of Zamzam water to European laboratories for testing the portability of the water.

The ministry then instructed the Jeddah Power and Desalination Plants to carry out this task. It was here that I was employed as a desalting engineer (chemical engineer to produce drinking water from sea water). I was chosen to carry out this assignment. At this stage, I remember that I had no idea what the well holding the water looked like. I went to Makkah and reported to the authorities at the Ka'aba explaining my purpose of visit.

They deputed a man to give me whatever help was required. When we reached the well, it was hard for me to believe that a pool of water, more like a small pond, about 18 by 14 feet, was the well that supplied millions of gallons of water every year to hajis ever since it came into existence at the time of Ibrahim(A.S.)many, many centuries ago.
I started my investigations and took the dimensions of the well. I asked the man to show me the depth of the well. First he took a shower and descended into the water. Then he straightened his body. I saw that the water level came up to just above his shoulders. His height was around five feet, eight inches. He then started moving from one corner to the other in the well (standing all the while since he was not allowed to dip his head into the water) in search of any inlet or pipeline inside the well to see from where the water came in. However, the man reported that he could not find any inlet or pipeline inside the well.

I thought of another idea. The water could be withdrawn rapidly with the help of a big transfer pump which was installed at the well for the Zamzam water storage tanks.
In this way, the water level would drop enabling us to locate the point of entry of the water. Surprisingly, nothing was observed during the pumping period, but I knew that this was the only method by which you could find the entrance of the water to the well.

So I decided to repeat the process. But this time I instructed the man to stand still at one place and carefully observe any unusual thing happening inside the well.
After a while, he suddenly raised his hands and shouted, "Alhamdullillah! I have found it. The sand is dancing beneath my feet as the water oozes out of the bed of the well."
Then he moved around the well during the pumping period and noticed the same phenomenon everywhere in the well. Actually the flow of water into the well through the bed was equal at every point, thus keeping the level of the water steady.
After I finished my observations I took the samples of the water for European laboratories to test.

Before I left the Ka'aba Sharief, I asked the authorities about the other wells around Makkah.
I was told that these wells were mostly dry. When I reached my office in Jeddah. I reported my findings to my boss who listened with great interest but made a very irrational comment that the Zamzam well could be internally connected to the Red Sea. How was it possible when Makkah is about 75 kilometres away from the sea and the wells located before the city usually remains dry?

The results of the water samples tested by the European laboratories and the one We analysed in our own laboratory were found to be almost identical.

CALCUIM & MAGNESUIM IN ZAM ZAM WATER:
The difference between Zamzam water and other water (city water) was in the quantity of calcium and magnesium salts. The content of these was slightly higher in Zamzam water. This may be why this water refreshes tired hajis.

FLOURIDE IN ZAMZAM WATER:
But more significantly, the water contains fluorides that have an effective germicidal action.

Moreover, the remarks of the European laboratories showed that the water was fit for drinking.
Hence the statement made by the Egyptian doctor was proved false. When this was reported to King Faisal he was extremely pleased and ordered the contradiction of the report in the European Press. In a way, it was a blessing that this study was undertaken to show the chemical composition of the water.

In fact, the more you explore, the more wonders surface and you find yourself believing implicitly in the miracles of this water that Allah Ta'ala bestowed as a gift on the faithful coming from far and wide to the desert land for pilgrimage.

Let me sum up some of the features of Zamzam water:
Never Dried Up:This well has never dried up. On the contrary it has always fulfilled the demand for water.
Same Salt composition:It has always maintained the same salt composition and taste ever since it came into existence.
Portability:Its portability has always been universally recognised as pilgrims from all over the world visit Ka'aba every year for Hajj and umrah, but have never omplained about it. Instead, they have always enjoyed the water that refreshes them.
Universal taste:Water tastes different at different places. Zamzam water's appeal has always been universal.
No Biological Growth:This water has never been chemically treated or chlorinated as is the case with water pumped into the cities.Biological growth and vegetation usually takes place in most wells. This makes the water unpalatable owing to the growth of algae causing taste and odour problems. But in the case of the Zamzam water well, there wasn't any sign of biological growth.

Centuries ago, Bibi Hajra A.S. searched desperately for water in the hills of Saffa and Marwa to give to her newly born son Ismail A.S. As she ran from one place to another in search of water, her child rubbed his feet against the sand. A pool of water surfaced, and by the grace of Allah Ta'ala, shaped itself into a well which came to be called Zamzam water.
{ May we appreciate and utilize this great Ni'mah of Allah Ta'ala}

Research by Tariq Hussain, Riyadh, By MOINUDDIN AHMED

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah preserve him) said:
So you should have the intention of what you want to gain by
drinking this water. He should drink his fill, i.e., fill his stomach with it
until it is filled to the ribs, because this water is good. A hadeeth has
been narrated concerning this: the difference between the believers
and the hypocrites is drinking one’s fill of Zamzam water. (Narrated by
Ibn Maajah in al-Manaasik, 1017; al-Haakim, 1/472).Al-Boosairi said:
this is a saheeh isnaad; its men are mawthooqoon [trustworthy
].

This is because Zamzam water is not sweet; it is somewhat salty,
and the believer only drinks this somewhat salty water out of faith,
believing that there is barakah (blessing) in it. So when he drinks
his fill of it, this is a sign of faith. (Sharh al-Mumti’, 7/377, 378, 379).

Perhaps Allaah did not make it sweet so that people would not
forget that the meaning of drinking it is an act of worship. Whatever
the case, its taste is fine and there is nothing wrong with it. We ask
Allaah to quench our thirst from the Cistern (al-Hawd) of His Prophet
on the Day of the greatest thirst. May Allaah bless our Prophet
Muhammad, Ameen.

A Story of Repentance​

Translated from the book titled, “Those Who Repented To Allah” by Ibrahim
Abdullah Al Hazemy.

Layla Al Helw, a Moroccan woman, had been afflicted by cancer, and the doctors were completely helpless with no hope in her case.
She lost hope in all but Allah subhanah wa ta'ala, whom she has never sought His help before…and so she went to His holy house (in Mecca)…
and there was the answer…Now, dear reader, I leave you with sister Layla to tell you all about her story herself…
She says, “9 years ago I found out that I have a very dangerous disease, cancer…everyone here knows this name is scary, and in Morocco we usually call it “ Al ghoul” (ogre) or the wicked disease!” My faith in Allah was very weak... I was completely drifted away from the remembrance of Allah subhanah wa ta'ala, and I used to think that one’s beauty and health shall remain his/her life… I never ever thought I would be afflicted by a disease like cancer… so when I found out, it did shake me so strongly from in the inside… I thought of escaping… but, where?
Where in the world I can escape from this disease that is inside me wherever I go??… I thought of committing suicide!… But… I was deeply in love with my husband and my children… but I did not think of Allah’s punishment if I commit such sin…Because, as I told you before, I was far away from remembering Allah… It was of Allah’s will that this disease was the reason of my guidance and the reason of guiding a lot of people as well…

I went to Belgium, and I visited many doctors there… They told my husband that I first have to remove my breasts, then go on certain medication! I knew that such medication would make my hair fall and my eye lashes and brows to disappear… it shall also grow a beard on my face and make the nailsand teeth fall as well… so I completely refused this solution… “ I would rather die with my , teeth and everything that Allah has created for me than to live without them”, I said… I asked the doctors to give me another medication course that is less effective… and so they did…I went back to Morocco… I used the medication course and it did not cause any bad effect on my body which made me so happy… I thought; may be the doctors were wrong and I didn’t have cancer… However, after about six months, I started losing weight quickly, my color started to change and I had a continuous pain… My Moroccan doctor advised me to go back to Belgium, and so I did…There was the disaster!… The doctors told my husband that the disease hasspread all over my body, that the lungs were completely infected and that
they now have no solution for my case… They said, “You better take your wife back to her country so that she dies there!”… My husband got shocked… and instead of going back to Morocco, we went to France thinking that we might reach to a solution there… But, we have reached to nothing more than what we reached to in Belgium! Finally, we decided to enter the hospital to remove my breasts through a surgical therapy and go on the strong medication (the doctor prescribed before)…However… my husband thought of something that we forgot… something that was always away from our thoughts… (God) has inspired my husband to take me to His holy house in Mecca… Maybe we can stand in front of Allah and ask Him to help us find a way out of this problem…

We left Paris saying, “Allahu Akbar, La Ilaha Illa Allah” (Allah is the Greatest, No God But Allah)… I was very happy because this was the first time for me to visit the Holy House of Allah and see the “Kaba”… I bought a copy of the Quran from Paris! And we went to Mecca… When I entered the holy mosque and first saw the Kaba I cried a lot… I cried because I regretted all the past years I spent without praying and seeking Allah’s help… I said, “O Lord, the doctors were disabled to cure me… (You) have the cure for every disease… All the doors are locked in front of me… I have nothing left to seek except Your door, so please… please Lord, don’t close Your door on me…” I kept on praying to Allah and making Dua’a while I was going around the Kaba… I asked Him not to disappoint me or send me back with empty hands…
As I said before, I was completely ignorant regarding the religion of Allah, so I went to the scholars there and asked them to guide me to the little books and supplications that can be easy to read… They advised me to read as much as I can from the Quran… They have also advised me to make a lot of “Tadhalloo” from Zamzam water (Tadhalloo is to drink a lot of water until the water reaches your ribs)… They also advised me to mention Allah’s name a lot and make Salat on the prophet SAAWS… In Allah’s holy place I felt very peaceful and relieved… I asked my husband to allow me not to go back to the hotel and stay in the “Haram” (the holy mosque)… He gave me the permission to stay there…

In the holy mosque, there were some Egyptian and Turkish sisters beside me, who saw me crying a lot… They asked me about the reason…
I told them that I came to the holy house of Allah and I never thoughtI would love it that much! I also told them that I have cancer… They
kept beside me all the time and did not leave me… They also took the permission of their husbands to stay with me at the mosque… During that
time, we rarely slept… we ate very little quantities of food… but we drank a lot of “Zamzam” water… And as the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Zamzam water is for whatever you drink it for” If you drink it for the intention of being cured, Allah subhanah wa ta'ala shall cure you… If you drink it because you are thirsty, Allah shall quench you out of thirst… etc. and so we didn’t feel hungry… We kept on doing Tawaf (going around the Kaba) continuously… and read Quran a lot… This was the way we were day and night…
When I came to the holy house of God I was very thin, and upper part of my body was filled with swells, blood and pus!… For the cancer was completely spread all through the upper part of my body… so the sisters kept on begging me to wash the upper part of my body with Zamzam water… but I was very afraid even to touch it… I was afraid to remember my sickness that shall occupy my thoughts instead of remembering Allah and worshipping Him in complete submission… so I was always washing my body without touching that part…

On the fifth day, my friends insisted that I should go through my body with Zamzam water… at the beginning I refused… but I felt something forcing me to do it! I slowly started trying to go through the parts I always avoided… I became frightened again… then I felt this thing forcing me again… I hesitated… and on the third turn, I forced my hand in my upper part and went through my body! Something unbelievable happened… there were no swells…no blood… no pus!!! I couldn’t believe what I felt… I went through my upper part with my hand again, and it was true! Yes that was true!… I shivered!!

But I remembered that Allah subhanah wa ta'ala is capable of doing anything what so ever… I asked one of my friends to touch my body with her hand and look for the swells… she did!… and they all automatically shouted, Allahu Akbar… Allahu Akbar!!! I ran to my husband in the hotel… When I saw him, I said, look at Allah’s mercy!!!I told him of what happened and he couldn’t believe it!!… He cried and cried…
He said, do you know that the doctors swore that you shall die within a period of three weeks only?… I said, all the fate is within the Hands
and Will of Allah (Praised be He), No one knows what the future is holding for us except for Him subhanah wa ta'ala…

We stayed in the holy house of Allah for one week. I thanked Him for His uncountable Graces… Then we went to the prophet mosque in Medina…then we traveled to France… There, the doctors were confused and surprised… they had nearly become crazy!! “Are you the same person?!”, they asked me… I was very proud to say, YES!!… and this is my husband… we have returned to God… and I now fear nothing but Allah subhanah wa ta'ala… The fate is from Him… They told me that mine is a very strange case… they said they want to examine me again, and they found… nothing! Before, I could hardly breath because of the swells… but when I went to Allah’s holy place and asked Him to cure me, this all has gone… I looked for the “seerah” (biography) of the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and his
companions (may Allah be pleased with them)… I read them and I cried a lot…I cried regretting all what I have missed in my past life… I missed the love of Allah and His prophet… I cried for the time I have wasted away from Allah subhanah wa ta'ala… I ask Allah to forgive me, my husband and all Muslims… and to accept me as His sincere adorer

samiha

---------
Staff member
assalamu alaykum.

Jazakallahu Khayr for sharing this information.

It was all very interesting... Subhanallah...

Wassalam.

Marwa17

often times the answer for what ails us is right with us...but we search elsewhere going to different countries looking for different cures...different methods...however, allah can do what doctors can never do...perform miracles...
It was great hearing that story...mashallah...

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam Alikom

Jazaakom Allah khyran, and jazaaki Allah Khyran sister for moving the thread.

salaam alikom

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaaam alikom

wanted to share some more studies and research about ZamZam,its from the Saudi Geological Survey.

Under a Royal Decree, the Zamzam Studies and Research Center was created by SGS to secure the supply, in terms of quality and quantity, of the holy water of Zamzam. As a result the Center has set up a series of investigative projects to define, quantify, and monitor the water source, and provide the information needed to manage and sustain supplies in the face of increasing demand by residents and pilgrims.

Structure and hydrogeology of the Well

The Zamzam Well is hand-excavated and is about 30.5 m deep, with an internal diameter ranging from 1.08 to 2.66 m. Hydrogeologically, the well lies within Wadi Ibrahim, which runs through the Holy City of Makkah, and taps groundwater from the wadi alluvium and, to a much lesser extent, the underlying fresh bedrock. The well is now housed in a basement room, protected by glass panels that allow a clear view of the well. Electric pumps are used to draw water from the well, replacing the ropes and buckets. No visitor is allowed to enter the Zamzam Well room and surroundings. Outside this room, there was a service area, where cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers were provided for drinking purposes. Recently, the Al-Haram Tawaf area has been extended to cover the entrance to this area and it is no more accessible to pilgrims. Instead, cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers are now placed at the periphery of Tawaf area.

The upper 13.5 m of the well is excavated in the sandy alluvium of the Wadi Ibrahim, and the lower 17.0 m in the underlying diorite bedrock. In between lies a 0.5 m thick highly ermeable weathered rock. Most of the alluvial
section of the well is lined with stone masonry except for the uppermost 1m, which has a reinforced concrete collar.. The weathered rock section is lined with stone and it is this section that provides the main water entry into the well.
zam_Cross-section_of_the_we.jpg

Structure and hydrogeology of the Well

The Zamzam Well is hand-excavated and is about 30.5 m deep, with an internal diameter ranging from 1.08 to 2.66 m. hydrogeologically, the well lies within Wadi Ibrahim, which runs through the Holy City of Makkah, and taps groundwater from the wadi alluvium and, to a much lesser extent, the underlying fresh bedrock. The well is now housed in a basement room, protected by glass panels that allow a clear view of the well. Electric pumps are used to draw water from the well, replacing the ropes and buckets. No visitor is allowed to enter the Zamzam Well room and surroundings. Outside this room, there was a service area, where cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers were provided for drinking purposes.
Recently, the Al-Haram Tawaf area has been extended to cover the entrance to this area and it is no more accessible to pilgrims. Instead, cold Zamzam water fountains and dispensing containers are now placed at the periphery of Tawaf area.
The upper 13.5 m of the well is excavated in the sandy alluvium of the Wadi Ibrahim, and the lower 17.0 m in the underlying diorite bedrock. In between lies a 0.5 m thick highly permeable weathered rock. Most of the alluvial section of the well is lined with stone masonry except for the uppermost 1m, which has a reinforced concrete collar.. The weathered rock section is lined with stone and it is this section that provides the main water entry into the well

zam_Wadi-Ibrahim-catchment-.jpg
zam_Wadi-Ibrahim-catchment2.jpg

makkah-kaaba.jpg

(1) The Holy Kabah (2) Well of Zam Zam, entrance (3) Mount al-Safaa (4) Mount al-Marwa (5) Barbers (6) More prayer area (red mats) (7) King's palace. You don't see it in many pictures, but it can't hide from the satellite. There's a solid concrete wall dividing the palace from the Masjid area. (8) Hotels and shops at street level. The green line is about the point from where you begin the circumbulation of the Holy Ka'bah (going counter-clockwise). At that point of the Ka'abah itself is the Black Stone, the Hajr-e-Aswad. On the other side, is a green light, as a marker.

I have not posted everything in this article,s o If you need more info about this article visit or click on The Saudi Geological Survey

some pictures of zamzam well

Zam Zam Water Coming Out From its Main Rock Under the Earth
Wa salaam alikom