why sculpture and drawing is haram

nickel

I just want to know why sculpture and drawing is haram in islam.. pls tell me if anyone knows the answer.

Almeftah

Because people used to make them to warship them.. Just like the Buddha.

And recite to them the story of Ibrâhim (Abraham). (69) When he said to his father and his people: "What do you worship?" (70) They said: "We worship idols, and to them we are ever devoted." (71) He said: "Do they hear you, when you call on (them)? (72) "Or do they benefit you or do they harm (you)?" (73) They said: "(Nay), but we found our fathers doing so." (74) He said: "Do you observe that which you have been worshipping,— (75) "You and your ancient fathers? (76) "Verily! they are enemies to me, save the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists); (77) (Al-Shuara 26)

And indeed We bestowed aforetime on Ibrâhim (Abraham) his (portion of) guidance, and We were Well-Acquainted with him (as to his Belief in the Oneness of Allâh). (51) When he said to his father and his people: "What are these images, to which you are devoted?" (52) They said:"We found our fathers worshipping them." (53) He said: "Indeed you and your fathers have been in manifest error." (54) They said: "Have you brought us the truth, or are you one of those who play about?" (55) He said: "Nay, your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, Who created them and to that I am one of the witnesses. (56) "And by Allâh, I shall plot a plan (to destroy) your idols after you have gone away and turned your backs." (57) So he broke them to pieces, (all) except the biggest of them, that they might turn to it. (58) They said: "Who has done this to our âlihah (gods)? He must indeed be one of the Zalimun (wrong-doers)." (59) They said: "We heard a young man talking against them, who is called Ibrâhim (Abraham)." (60) They said: "Then bring him before the eyes of the people, that they may testify." (61) They said: "Are you the one who has done this to our gods, O Ibrâhim (Abraham)?" (62) [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: "Nay, this one, the biggest of them (idols) did it. Ask them, if they can speak!"[] (63) So they turned to themselves and said: "Verily, you are the Zâlimûn (polytheists and wrong-doers)." (64) Then they turned to themselves (their first thought and said): "Indeed you [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] know well that these (idols) speak not!" (65) [Ibrâhim (Abraham)] said: "Do you then worship besides Allâh, things that can neither profit you, nor harm you? (66) "Fie upon you, and upon that which you worship besides Allâh! Have you then no sense?" (67) (Al-Anbiya 21)

Almeftah

Sahih Al-Bukhari: Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318:

Narrated Aisha:
(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and H is Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

hassana elkoussi

Fatwa 7222 from Islam Q & A

There follow details of the prohibition on the making of images and statues.

I. The prohibition on statues is not just the matter of fiqh; it goes beyond that to the matter of ‘aqeedah, because Allaah is the Only One Who has the power of giving shape to His creation and creating them in the best image. Making images implies that one is trying to match the creation of Allaah. The matter also has to do with ‘aqeedah when these images are taken as idols which are worshipped instead of Allaah.

Among the daleel (evidence) that image-making is the exclusive preserve of Allaah are the following:

1. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“He it is Who shapes you in the wombs as He wills” [Aal ‘Imraan 3:6]

“And surely, We created you (your father Adam) and then gave you shape (the noble shape of a human being); then We told the angels, ‘Prostrate yourselves to Adam’” [al-A’raaf 7:11]

“He is Allaah, the Creator, the Inventor of all things, the Bestower of forms. To Him belong the Best Names. All that is in the heavens and the earth glorify Him. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise” [al-Hashr 59:24]

“O man! What has made you careless about your Lord, the Most Generous? Who created you, fashioned you perfectly, and gave you due proportion. In whatever form He willed, He put you together.”

[al-Infitaar 82:6-8]

These aayaat clearly state the belief that creating and giving form to creation is the preserve of their Lord, Creator and Fashioner, so it is not permissible for anyone to encroach on that and to try to match the creation of Allaah.

2. It was reported from ‘Aa’ishah Umm al-Mu’mineen that Umm Habeebah and Umm Salamah mentioned a church which they had seen in Ethiopia, in which there were images. They told the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) about it, and he said: “Those people, if there was a righteous man among them and he died, they would build a place of worship over his grave and put images in it. These will be the most evil of creation before Allaah on the Day of Resurrection.” (narrated by al-Bukhaari, 417; Muslim, 528)

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said:

This hadeeth indicates that making images is haraam. (Fath al-Baari, 1/525).

Al-Nawawi said:

Our companions and other scholars said: making images of animate beings is extremely haraam and is a major sin, because severe warnings have been issued against it in the ahaadeeth. Whether the image is made to be used in a disrespectful fashion or for other purposes, it is haraam to make it in all cases, because it implies that one is trying to match the creation of Allaah, whether the image is to appear on a garment, carpet, coin, vessel, wall or whatever. With regard to pictures of trees, camel saddles, and other pictures in which no animate beings appear, these are not haraam. This is the ruling on making images. (Sharh Muslim, 14/81).

3. Sa’eed ibn Abi’l-Hasan said: I was with Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him) when a man came to him and said, O Abu ‘Abbaas, I am a man who lives by what his hands make, and I make these images. Ibn ‘Abbaas said: I will only tell you what I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say. I heard him say: “Whoever makes an image, Allaah will punish him until he breathes life into it, and he will never be able to do that.” The man became very upset and his face turned pale, so [Ibn ‘Abbaas] said to him, Woe to you! If you insist on making images, then make images of these trees and everything that does not have a soul. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 2112; Muslim, 2110).

4. ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: The people who will be the most severely punished before Allaah on the Day of Resurrection will be the image makers. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5606; Muslim, 2109).

5. It was reported from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Those who make these images will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, Give life to that which you have created! (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5607; Muslim, 2108).

6. It was reported that Abu Hurayrah entered a house in Madeenah and saw somebody making images in it. He said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: [Allaah says:] Who does greater wrong than one who goes and creates something like My creation? Let them create a seed or a small ant! (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5609; Muslim, 2111).

7. Abu Juhayfah said: the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) forbade the price of a dog and the price of blood, and he forbade tattooing and asking to be tattooed, and the consumption or paying of ribaa, and he cursed those who make images. (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1980).

HOPE THIS HELPS​

:salam2:

abuayesha

Dear Brothers and Sisters :salam2:

Very good thread and a nice explanation.

Once something is prohibited by the Almighty Allaah (swt) and His Prophet Sallallaahu Alaihi Wasallam there is no excuse to make that particular thing HALAAL.

Anyway, if we look into what happens now a days it is obvious that the sculptures are being worshiped.

For an example, in India there are politicians who are atheists, died sometimes back and their followers erected statues of the dead. And today, we see that the ignorant people who admire the dead politicians are worshiping them. Offering flowers and food to poor on behalf of the dead, they do a lot of rituals beside their statues.

Even the actors of films are being worshiped.

This is how statue worship starts and continues to generations.

These are living examples.

So, dear brothers and sisters, we should, like this, talk about SHIRK always. We should not even for a moment forget to talk about this major sin, the sin which will not be forgiven by the Almighty Allaah.

Wassalaam

icadams

so from what i read i am assuming that drawings also refer to photos am i correct? such as family photos?

This is a matter of debate. Read this article from IslamonLine.com. My understanding (and I could be wrong) from some of what I have read is that drawing is an attempt to create an image, which is forbidden, whereas photographs, or video, simply capture a moment in time, the same way that a memory does, and only reveals what Allah, subhana wa ta'ala, has created.

Shafeek.nazir

السلام عليكم

I must disagree with drawing. If you say drawing is prohibited, state why you say so. "Why is it forbidden?" Prophet Muhammed (SAWS) gave us the reason why he disliked those images, didn't he? I am a graphics artist and animator, and I thank Allah for this gift, and keep him in mind every time he I am busy with such work. In the movie industry, Drawing is necessary for a storyboard. This presents an indication on how things must come into place. That also goes for cartoons, and 3d animations.
If your intentions are positive, there should be no harm. Say if you're doing it for money, or to complete a personal art portfolio.
As long as it is not intended for idol worship. That is how it all started, isn't it?