What are Salafis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
:salam2:

Hope you're all in the best of health and iman inshAllah.

My question pertains to the term "Salafi". Now although I have an idea of what this is, I'm not sure if it's the right one. I've also heard this term being used many times, yet unjustly so. So could anyone please put up daleel on what a Salafi actually is?

JazakAllah Khair:hearts:

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum,

One who follows/ascribes to the way of the Salaf us-Saalih (pious predeccors). Just like the term sunnee refers to one who ascribes to the Prophetic sunnah, salafee is an ascription to the salaf (who are in general, the people of the sunnah and in specific, the generation of the companions and the two following generations). Many of the past `ullemaa' used it as an synonym for sunnee, since the two words refer to one and the same thing.

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
If that's the case, then why are they looked at so negatively by some, those of whom even go as far to say that its the "wrong type of extremism"?

saif

It is such an important topic and just a couple of 3 liner anwers to that? This is unfair in a forum full of Salafis. I would like to see some detailed responses before I chime in.

:wasalam:

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We need this topic. I wonder often about the new "salafi". They are very doctrine bound, wear odd clothes, never are fun, and are very judgemental. I see many as being a sect. They seem to be the first to point out what is wrong with everyone one and everything. Now we should get some responses.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member

It is such an important topic and just a couple of 3 liner anwers to that? This is unfair in a forum full of Salafis. I would like to see some detailed responses before I chime in.

:wasalam:

:salam2: there's really no need to react like that. You can find some articles using the search button on top of the page. The topic is very simple, and I think brother Al Kashmiri explained it in a very good way: simply and clearly.
There's this thread anyway that can be read insh'Allah:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17670&highlight=salafi

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

We need discussion on the subject. There is a movement in the US that is very decisive. The people who claim to be Salafi are not Sunni. These same people point fingers at Sufi's and Sunni, and Shia's. They have a whorped interpertation of Islam. There needs to discussion. We can not sweep that under the rug. I have had a few encounters with these Salafi's. They are judgemental and there are reports that some of these Salafi's have been physcially abusive to members who are in some disagreement with them. We have to attend to this.

um muhammad al-mahdi

لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله
Staff member
:wasalam: dear mirajmom, insh'Allah u r in good health and imaan :)

I'm not saying there's nothing to discuss but the thing is very simple. I quote again what brother Al Kashmiri said:

"One who follows/ascribes to the way of the Salaf us-Saalih (pious predecessors). Just like the term sunnee refers to one who ascribes to the Prophetic sunnah, salafee is an ascription to the salaf (who are in general, the people of the sunnah and in specific, the generation of the companions and the two following generations)."

Following the Prophetic sunnah and the generation of the companions.... it means good manners first, doesn't it? And their "ways" to do da'wah. Both things are often forgotten among the Ummah. Both ways are perfect, Muslims aren't. May Allah guide us all!

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Salaam,

We need discussion on the subject. There is a movement in the US that is very decisive. The people who claim to be Salafi are not Sunni. These same people point fingers at Sufi's and Sunni, and Shia's. They have a whorped interpertation of Islam. There needs to discussion. We can not sweep that under the rug. I have had a few encounters with these Salafi's. They are judgemental and there are reports that some of these Salafi's have been physcially abusive to members who are in some disagreement with them. We have to attend to this.

:salam2: sister,

I seldom post nowadays, but i cannot help but post on this one as i see you have misunderstood the term salafi

With regards to your run with these "salafi", there is no doubt that it is not the akhlaaq of a muslim to be physically abusive on another muslim just because of some disagreements. These people who are abusive are NOT among those who follow salafus soleh and therefore do not deserve to be called a salafi.

My advice for sister mirajmom is to reread what Al kashmiri wrote. We have to realise that if there are some bad apples in a group but we should never negate everyone because of these few apples. Salafis are not a sect because they are among the best generations muslims. It is upon us to follow the sunnah of the prophet Sallah Wa allihi Wasalam and the people of the salaf who learn directly under prophet Sallah Wa allihi Wasalam

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Salaam,

As-salaamu `alaykum.

I don't so the difference between what you have said (as highlighted). You say they are judgemental and then expel them from the sunnah? Correct me if I'm wrong but that seems like an obvious discrepancy...

Salafiyyah is an attachment to the best of mankind, the salaf. Nothing more, nothing less. Hence, if someone claims to be salafi but behaves in a manner contrary to the salaf, with respect to `aqeedah and the other elements of Islaam, then how can he safely be considered a salafi? Surely he can call himself that, but it becomes an empty statement, one that his actions (and beliefs) may not prove...

Anyway, we say to the non-Muslims not to judge Islaam by the actions of some adherents, but by the scriptures and teachings. I think we ought to owe the same justice to the Salafees...

Also, I've noticed how many, many people can't discern between the one who is Salafi and the one who calls to rebellion and the likes. They make similitude based upon the fact that the Salafees expose the shirk and bid`ah of the shi`a and soofees, and the latter group don't quite expose but attack anyone who opposes them! A big difference which some people do not realise... Attacking people ruthlessly is a bad trait, whereas it is from Jihaad to make clear the innovations of the various sects.

Was-salaam

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Piety (taqwa) means doing that which Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have enjoined and forsaking that which Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) have forbidden. Everyone who obeys Allaah and avoids disobeying Him is following light from Allaah and is pious. Everyone who disobeys Allaah is falling short in piety to the extent of his disobedience or sin.

If this is what piety means, then it cannot be attained simply by calling oneself a Salafi or anything else. Rather the more one attains of the causes of piety – such as learning about Allaah and His laws and acting upon them – the greater share one will have of piety and the higher his status will be in Islam.

Because of that, we have to differentiate between the Salafi manhaj (way or methodology) which is protected from error as it is based on the sources of sharee’ah, namely the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus, and the individuals who claim to belong to this path. These individuals are not free of error with regard to their knowledge or actions, whether that error is a sin or even a bid’ah (innovation). Rather the person who does it is to blame for it; it is not permissible to blame the manhaj for this mistake. That leads to vilification of the Salafi manhaj on the grounds that so and so (a Salafi) made a mistake and did such and such.

Islam is undoubtedly the religion of Allaah, and He will not accept any other. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

“Truly, the religion with Allaah is Islam”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:19].

This does not mean that the Muslims are infallible or that everything the Muslims do is correct. Indeed many Muslims – unfortunately – have gone against Islam and disobeyed the Sovereign, the All Knowing. Just as it is essential to differentiate between Islam and what the Muslims do, it is also essential to differentiate between the Salafi manhaj (way) and the Salafis.

If a person calls himself a Salafi to express his gratitude for having been guided to this way, or to clearly distinguish himself from innovation, then this is OK and is allowed in Islam. But if he says it only for the purpose of praising himself, then this is not allowed, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“… therefore justify not yourselves…”
[al-Najm 53:32 – Yusuf ‘Ali’s translation].

Similarly, it is not allowed if it is said in a spirit of tribalism or sectarianism, because such attitudes are forbidden, as is clear from the following story:

Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: “A man from the Muhaajireen shoved a man from the Ansaar from behind, so each man’s people gathered around him, saying ‘O Muhaajireen (come and help)!’ or ‘O Ansaar (come and help)!’ News of this reached the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and he said, ‘Stop this, for it is repulsive.’ Then he said, ‘What is this call of the people of jaahiliyyah? What is this call of the people of jaahiliyyah?’”

(Reported by Imaam Ahmad, 14105; the hadeeth is also to be found in al-Saheehayn).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called it the call of the people of jaahiliyyah and described it as repulsive, even though the words “Ansaari” and “Muhaajiri” are Islamic words, the first referring to those who supported Allaah and His Messenger, and the second referring to those who left the land of kufr and migrated to Allaah and His Messenger. Why were they described in this manner? Because in this instance, the words were not used in a permissible fashion; the usage was a sectarian and political one that could have led to fighting between the two groups. The same applies to the word “Salafi”.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member

Because of that, we have to differentiate between the Salafi manhaj (way or methodology) which is protected from error as it is based on the sources of sharee’ah, namely the Qur’aan, Sunnah and scholarly consensus, and the individuals who claim to belong to this path. These individuals are not free of error with regard to their knowledge or actions, whether that error is a sin or even a bid’ah (innovation). Rather the person who does it is to blame for it; it is not permissible to blame the manhaj for this mistake. That leads to vilification of the Salafi manhaj on the grounds that so and so (a Salafi) made a mistake and did such and such.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Jazaak Allaah khayran. I think that's something many people, be it those who consider themselves Salafi and at the same time, those who criticse them seem to forget...

Amir_of_spain

Salafi Muslims

Asalam wailkium. I would have to disagree with the bros in this case. I know that there are bad apples in every group, and therefore you cannot judge or blame the entire group based on 1 or 2 bad apples.
However, salafis, this group comes about because they believe they follow the way of the sahabah/prophet/early generation correctly compared to the rest of us. Hence thats why they claim this term, salafi, as they believe they practise Islam more closer compared to the rest of us, otherwise why wouldn't this group just refer to themselves as sunni muslims. As sunni muslims also claim to follow the salaf generation.

They are judgemental and there are reports that some of these Salafi's have been physcially abusive to members who are in some disagreement with them. We have to attend to this.

I would agree with this experience.

Amir

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
Im more interested in the term Ghurabaah and finding out who they are rather than the term Salafi.

I've often thought that the term Ghurabaah cannot be ascribed supremely to a certain sect, the strangers are just indivduals spread over, but they share common characteristics which distinguish them from others.

Its more important to be from among the strangers because the Prophet :saw: said 'give glad tidings to the strangers'

“Islam began as something strange, and it shall return to being something strange, so give glad tidings to the strangers.” ~ (Muslim)

So whoever they are, from whatever sect or no sect, they're the winners.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
Asalam wailkium. I would have to disagree with the bros in this case. I know that there are bad apples in every group, and therefore you cannot judge or blame the entire group based on 1 or 2 bad apples.
However, salafis, this group comes about because they believe they follow the way of the sahabah/prophet/early generation correctly compared to the rest of us. Hence thats why they claim this term, salafi, as they believe they practise Islam more closer compared to the rest of us, otherwise why wouldn't this group just refer to themselves as sunni muslims. As sunni muslims also claim to follow the salaf generation.

They are judgemental and there are reports that some of these Salafi's have been physcially abusive to members who are in some disagreement with them. We have to attend to this.

I would agree with this experience.

Amir

As-salaamu `alaykum.

That's the case with anything that be can remotely described as an Islamic group... In the time of the Salaf, Sunnee (from Ahl us-Sunnah) was a term exclusive for the truth, the Sunnees were free from the Qadariyyah, Khawaarij, Mu`tazilah etc. Now, not many can tell the difference, the Qadiri has become "Sunnee" to them, the Mu`tazali has become "Sunnee" and the Kharijee has become "Sunnee", despite the Salaf saying otherwise. When people say Salafee, they mean nothing more than what Ahl us-Sunnah intended by calling one another Sunnee in those times of trials.

And being physically abusive is of course, foul. Very foul!!! However, it amazes me how people (more specifically to people in London) talk about these "Salafis" and physical abuse, when in East London's most (in)famous Soofee masjed (and it's two local off-shoots), there have been thousands of reports of fighting going on during Salaah, now they shamefully have to observe jumu`ah under the watch of the police. On the contrary, the one time I heard of a Salafee hitting someone in a masjed is after the soofee mu'adhdhin called the revert a black baboon!

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this as it seems relevant in light of the points made. Shameful behavior yes, but one would be blind to claim it being exclusive to one people.

Zafran

Muslim Brother
Qadariyyah, Khawaarij, Mu`tazilah etc.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

That's the case with anything that be can remotely described as an Islamic group... In the time of the Salaf, Sunnee (from Ahl us-Sunnah) was a term exclusive for the truth, the Sunnees were free from the Qadariyyah, Khawaarij, Mu`tazilah etc. Now, not many can tell the difference, the Qadiri has become "Sunnee" to them, the Mu`tazali has become "Sunnee" and the Kharijee has become "Sunnee", despite the Salaf saying otherwise. When people say Salafee, they mean nothing more than what Ahl us-Sunnah intended by calling one another Sunnee in those times of trials.

And being physically abusive is of course, foul. Very foul!!! However, it amazes me how people (more specifically to people in London) talk about these "Salafis" and physical abuse, when in East London's most (in)famous Soofee masjed (and it's two local off-shoots), there have been thousands of reports of fighting going on during Salaah, now they shamefully have to observe jumu`ah under the watch of the police. On the contrary, the one time I heard of a Salafee hitting someone in a masjed is after the soofee mu'adhdhin called the revert a black baboon!

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention this as it seems relevant in light of the points made. Shameful behavior yes, but one would be blind to claim it being exclusive to one people.

salaam

whilst we are at discussing different groups can someone explain to me what the Qadariyyah, Khawaarij, Mu`tazilah etc believe in why they are astray?

Thanks.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
salaam

whilst we are at discussing different groups can someone explain to me what the Qadariyyah, Khawaarij, Mu`tazilah etc believe in why they are astray?

Thanks.

As-salaamu `alaykum.

Don't get me wrong, these groups do accept the six canonical books (Saheeh Al-Bukharee through to Sunan Ibn Maajah). But that doesn't make one a sunnee, the sunne is not merely the one who takes from these books, rather he follows the sunnah with respect to creed, methodology, worship etc.

Regarding the Qadariyyah, then much can be read about them. Even from the Sahaabah. I'll suffice with the following,

"...Then, in the latter days of the Sahabah, there emerged the despicable sect of the Qadariyyah, of whom it is reported in one narration (whose authenticity is debatable) that the Prophet had warned, saying, "the Qadariyyah are the Magians of this ummah."

The deniers of Divine Pre-Determination who claimed that Allaah has no power of His creation and that mankind is totally independent of His Will and Power. Qadariyyah are people who claim that Allaah forces us to choose the wrong religion.

The sect was initiated at the hands of Ma`bad al-Juhani, and they denied destiny. Ja`d ibn Dirham, another pioneer of the sect, was the first to claim the Qur'ân is created. The remaining Sahabah, among them `Abdullah ibn `Umar, Jabir ibn `Abdullah, Abu Hurayrah, `Abullah ibn `Abbas and Anas ibn Malik, abjured the Qadariyyah. They instructed people not to greet them with salaam, nor to pray over their dead, nor even to visit their sick..."​
http://allaahuakbar.in/qadariyyah/index.htm

The Khawaarij are from the progeny (not necessarily descendants but in terms of thinking) of Dhul-Khuwayshah, the despicable man who told Muhammad sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam to be just!? There are many different narrations about the matter. From the traits of the Khawaarij is their expelling Muslims from the fold of Islaam on account of their major sins (so sinners are kuffaar to them), their rebellion against the Muslim rulers, them not understanding Islamic Politics and many more. The points I mentioned lead them to murdering `Uthmaan Ibn `Affaan, `Alee Ibn Abee Taalib, as well as plotting to kill Mu`aawiyah and `Amr Ibn Al-`Aas, may Allaah be pleased with them all. However, this doesn't mean that todays' Khawaarij are pleased with these deeds, rather they still carry the same traits and beliefs that the held in the time of the Sahaabah.

The Mu`tazilah were founded Waasil Ibn `Ataa, who "withdrew" (I`tizaal) from the lessons of the taabi`ee (a taabi`ee is one who learnt Islaam from the companions) and Imaam, Al-Hasan Al-Basri (who was a slave of the Prophet's, sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam wife, Umm Salamah, may Allaah be pleased with her). They favoured their intellects over the Qur'aan and Sunnah and used logic and philosophy as proofs in the religion, putting them above the Qur'aan and Sunnah!?!?

Anyway, this is all but an intro, the sects are many and their beliefs are wild. Best thing is to research the matter further, as I only stated these various gorups as examples.

Was-salaam

Status
Not open for further replies.