Jewel of Medina

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

As I was purusing the Internet, I came across an article on a book to be released: The Jewel of Medina by Sherry Jones. This book was to have been published by a major publishing company and then cancelled by Random House. It has been picked up by Gibson Square.

The subject matter is the wife of the Prophet, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him. There are claims that 26 sources were used for this book. Needless to say..it is yet another attack on Muslims.

Yesterday several people were arrested for a fire at the home/office of the publisher. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ests-linked-to-controversial-Muslim-book.html.

The author hopes this book will be a bridge. I do not understand what that is supposed to mean. At least one review of the book states it has elements of soft *!*!*!*!.

"She got the idea for the book after the terrorist acts of Sept. 11. Determined to learn more about Islam, she read books on the religion and came across the story of Aisha, who became Muhammad's third wife as well as a leading scholar and warrior in the early days of the religion.

Aisha was 9 when she became Muhammad's wife. She's often described as Muhammad's favorite wife, and it was in her company that Muhammad received the most revelations. During a period of war after Muhammad's death, Aisha raised an army which confronted her rival Ali outside the city of Basra. Aisha's forces were defeated, and she was captured and returned to Medina. There, she became one of the top scholars of Islam's early age, with some historians crediting her with one-quarter of Islamic religious law. She died at 65."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080917/ap_en_ot/books_muslim_novel

I also came across this:

Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Protest for "Jewel of Madina" By Sherry Jones

Although a few Muslims have taken up to protest this book, they are just a handful of them, it is not the moderate majority.

It is un-wise to protest.
We may want to take a different approach.

The propaganda machine goes to work to label this as a Muslim activity, it is not. It is not even a statistical sample to label it as Muslim or Islamic thing. Even if the wind blows, a few among us love to protest as if it is their business. However, this act is not exclusive to Muslims, you can find that in every group.

It is time for every one, including Muslims to start being a part of the interfaith councils locally and nationally. It is time to learn to accept and respect different ways of respecting the creator.

This protest is unwise, because the more attention a few Muslims pay to this, the more thrills the writers get to write. The protests will make people want to read it... let's not egg them on.
Who knows, it may be a ploy to create controversy to sell more books.

Let any one write what he or she pleases, it is nothing new, they have mistranslated Qur'aan in the 10th Century and many times after that, all with the same ill intent. Of course, Muslims also have mistranslated it for rallying up the support again with ill-intent. It is not the religion, it is the darned individual.

The best thing to do is to ignore, and certainly become Amabassadors of goodwill and peace and build solid things for our nation (whichever that is, in my case the USA) to be recognized as contributor to the peace, success and prosperity of our nation.

Please stand up and speak out, this protest is counter productive

Mike Ghouse
World Muslim Congress
Foundation for Pluralism
Center for Interfaith Inquiryhttp://worldmuslimcongress.blogspot.com/2008/08/protest-for-jewel-of-madina-by-sherry.html

My intent is to inform our members. I pray my posting is not going to hurt the readers of this forum.