Article: How To Perform Wudhu

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
The Importance of Wudu

Allah's Messenger (SAW) said, The key to Paradise is prayer
and the key to prayer is cleanliness (Ablution)
Tirmidhi, Transmitted Ahmad, Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah

A desert Arab came to Allah's Apostle (SAW) and asked him about ablution.
He demonstrated (washing each part of his body) thrice, and then said:
That is (the method) of the ablution. And he who does more than this
has done wrong, transgressed the limit and has oppressed (himself).
[Tirmidhi #417, Transmitted by Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, and AbuDawud transmitted something to the same effect.]

Hadith - Bukhari 1:161, Narrated Humran
(The slave of 'Uthman) I saw 'Uthman bin 'Affan asking for a tumbler of water (and when it was brought) he poured water over his hands and washed them thrice and then put his right hand in the water container and rinsed his mouth, washed his nose by putting water in it and then blowing it out. Then he washed his face and forearms up to the elbows thrice, passed his wet hands over his head and washed his feet up to the ankles thrice. Then he said, "Allah's Apostle [FONT=Helvetica, Arial](SAW) said 'If anyone Performs ablution like that of mine and offers a two-rak'at prayer during which he does not think of anything else (not related to the present prayer) then his past sins will be forgiven.'

" After performing the ablution 'Uthman said, "I am going to tell you a Hadith which I would not have told you, had I not been compelled by a certain Holy Verse (the sub narrator 'Urwa said: This verse is: 'Verily, those who conceal the clear signs and the guidance which we have sent down...)' (2:159). I heard the Prophet (SAW) saying, 'If a man performs ablution perfectly and then offers the compulsory congregational prayer, Allah will forgive his sins committed between that (prayer) and the (next) prayer till he offers it.' "[/FONT]​

Wudu (Ablution): How to Perform
  1. Say "Bismillah" (in the Name of Allah)​
  2. Wash hands 3 times​
  3. Use left hand to wash right hand, up to and including the wrist, 3 times.​
    • Then, use right hand to wash left hand, up to and including the wrist, 3 times.
  4. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Rinse water in mouth 3 times[/FONT]
    • Cup right hand with water and put in mouth, then spit it out, 3 times.
  5. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Snuff water in nose 3 times[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Wash face 3 times[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Wash forearms 3 times[/FONT]
    • Wipe right forearm with left hand, all the way up to and including the elbow, 3 times.
    • Wipe left forearm with right hand, all the way up to and including the elbow, 3 times.
  8. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Wipe water over head/hair 1 times[/FONT]
    • It has been recorded that the Prophet used to wipe his head three different ways:
      1. Wiping all of his head. 'Abdullah ibn Zaid reported that the Prophet (SAW) wiped his entire head with his hands. He started with the front of his head, then moved to the back, and then returned his hands to the front.
      2. Wiping over the turban only.
        • Said 'Amru ibn Umayyah, "I saw the Messenger of Allah (SAW) wipe over his turban and shoes." (Related by Ahmad, al-Bukhari and Ibn Majah).
        • Bilal reported that the Prophet (SAW) said, "Wipe over your shoes and head covering." (Related by Ahmad.)
        • 'Umar once said, "May Allah not purify the one who does not consider wiping over the turban to be purifying." Many hadith have been related on this topic by al-Bukhari, Muslim and others. Most of the scholars agree with them.
      3. Wiping over the front portion of the scalp and the turban. Al-Mughirah ibn Shu'bah said that the Messenger of Allah, upon whom be peace, made ablution and wiped over the front portion of his scalp, his turban and his socks. (Related by Muslim.) There is, however, no strong hadith that he wiped over part of his head, even though al-Ma'idah: apparently implies it. It is also not sufficient just to wipe over locks of hair that proceed from the head or along the sides of the head.
    • If you are a female and a non-mahram male (or non-Muslim who you believe may describe you to others) may see you (such as in a public bathroom, etc.), do not remove your hijab or niqab... keep it on and wipe over it.
  9. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Wipe the inside and back of ears 1 time[/FONT]
    • Wash both ears at the same time
  10. [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Wash feet[/FONT]
    • Wash right foot, including the ankle, with left hand, 3 times.
    • Wipe between each toe on right foot, with left hand pinky, 1 time.
    • Wash left foot, including the ankle, with right hand, 3 times.
    • Wipe between each toe on left foot, with right hand pinky, 1 time.
      • Once the Prophet SAW remained behind us in a journey. He joined us while we were performing ablution for the prayer which was over-due. We were just passing wet hands over our feet (and not washing them properly) so the Prophet addressed us in a loud voice and said twice or thrice: "Save your heels from the fire." [Bukhari 1:164, Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr]
      • "...and then he washed his feet up to the ankles." [Bukhari 1.186, narrated Amr]
Wudu: What Invalidates It
If any of the following happen, you must perform wudu again before doing salah. It is recommended (but not mandatory) to always be in a state of wudu, so it is not necessary to wait until hearing the adhan (call to Salah) before performing wudu.​
  1. Relieving oneself from the call of nature
    • O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salât (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janâba (i.e. had a sexual discharge), purify yourself (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allâh does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour on you that you may be thankful. [The Noble Qur'an 5:6]

2. Passing gas, i.e. breaking wind
    • Abu Hurairah (RA)reported that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said, "Allah does not accept the prayer of a person who has released gas until he makes a new ablution." A person from Hadhramaut asked Abu Hurairah, "What does releasing gas mean?" He answered, "Wind with or without sound." [Related by al-Bukhari and Muslim.]
    • Abu Hurairah RA also narrated that the Prophet SAW said, "If one of you finds a disturbance in his abdomen and is not certain if he has released any gas or not, he should not leave the mosque unless he hears its sound or smells its scent." [Related by Muslim.]
    • 'Abbad ibn Tameem RA related that his uncle queried the Prophet :saw: about a person who feels something in his abdomen while praying. Said the Prophet :saw:, "He should not leave (the prayer) until he hears it or smells it." [Related by Muslim, Abu Dawud and at-Tirmidhi.]
  3. Sexual Relations
    • One must perform ghusl after sexual relations, i.e. when the male private part enters the female private part.
  4. Touching one's private parts with no barrier (i.e. cloth) between the hand and organ
    • Busrah bint Safwan narrated that the Prophet :saw: said, "Whoever touches his sexual organ cannot pray until he performs ablution." [This hadith is related by "the five." At-Tirmidhi classified it as sahih and al-Bukhari called it the most authentic report on that topic. Malik, ash-Shaifi, Ahmad and others also narrated it.]
In the event that you forget whether you have done wudu or not, err on the side of not re-performing wudu.... i.e. do not perform wudu again unless you are sure that you broke/invalidated it.​

Wudu: What Doesn't Invalidate It
  1. Drinking or Eating
    • The Messenger of Allah (SAW) drank some milk and he did not rinse his mouth nor did he perform ablution, and he offered the prayer. [Dawud, Narrated Anas ibn Malik]

2. Kissing a mahram woman (such as your wife)
    • 'Aishah RA related that the Messenger of Allah SAW kissed her while he was fasting and said, "Kissing does not nullify the ablution, nor does it break the fast." [Related by Ishaq ibn Rahawaih and al-Bazzar with a good chain. Evaluating its authenticity, 'Abdul-Haqq says, "I do not know of any defect in the hadith that could cause its rejection."]
  3. Laughing
    • Laughing does not invalidate wudu. Laughing loudly during salah, however, does invalidate the salah.
  4. Vomiting
  1. Changing a baby's diaper
    Just wash your hands after changing the diaper.​
  1. People with unusual circumstances (i.e. women with "prolonged flows of blood"), people who cannot control their urine, people with flatulence, and so on, should perform one ablution for each prayer whether their problem exists all or part of the time. Their prayers will be acceptable even while their problems are occuring.​
  1. Talking During Wudu
Ghusl
(Complete body washing, i.e. bath)

Hadith - Muwatta 2.74
Yahya related to me from Malik from Abu'n Nadr, the mawla of Umar ibn Abdullah that Abu Salamaibn Abdar-Rahman ibn Awf related that he had asked A'isha, the wife of the Prophet (SAW) what made ghusl obligatory. She said, "Do you know what you are like, Abu Salama? You are like a chick when it hears the cocks crowing and so crows with them. When the circumcised part passes the circumcised part, ghusl is obligatory."

Hadith - Bukhari 1:228, Narrated 'Aisha RA
Fatima bint Abi Hubaish RA came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle I get persistent bleeding from the uterus and do not become clean. Shall I give up my prayers?" Allah's Apostle SAW replied, "No, because it is from a blood vessel and not the menses. So when your real menses begins give up your prayers and when it has finished wash off the blood (take a bath) and offer your prayers." Hisham (the sub narrator) narrated that his father had also said, (the Prophet told her): "Perform ablution for every prayer till the time of the next period comes."

Hadith - Bukhari 1:327, Narrated 'Aisha RA
The Prophet SAW said to me, "Give up the prayer when your menses begin and when it has finished, wash the blood off your body (take a bath) and start praying."

Tayammum
(Dry Wudu)​

When absolutetly no water is available, you should perform Tayammum (dry wudu)...

Hadith - Bukhari 1:331, Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah
... The earth has been made for me (and for my followers) a place for praying and a thing to perform Tayammum, therefore anyone of my followers can pray wherever the time of a prayer is due.

The Noble Qur'an 5:6
O you who believe! When you intend to offer As-Salât (the prayer), wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to ankles. If you are in a state of Janâba (i.e. had a sexual discharge), purify yourself (bathe your whole body). But if you are ill or on a journey or any of you comes from answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (i.e. sexual intercourse) and you find no water, then perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your faces and hands. Allâh does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour on you that you may be thankful.
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial]
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Perform ghusl after sexual intercourse and after completing a menstrual cycle before commencing salah[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Do not even think about performing dry wudu if there is water available[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Do not skip over any of the steps of wudu[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica, Arial]Make effort to remain in a state of wudu at all times, combined with thoughts on dhikr (the remembrance of Allah, swt). For instance, do wudu each time after relieving oneself. Recognize the importance of being in a state of wudu before going to sleep.[/FONT]
Remember... Allah, subhana watala, sees everything we do!

Kelly

new muslim

salam alaykum. im new to islam and i wasn't sure how i was going to learn how to do wudu or pray, until a friend recommended this site. IT has everything on it that i need to know! Now i can learn to pray with ease! This site is brilliant and very helpful, especially for those who are new to islam and want to become muslim[ like myself] and also meet new friends. I hope this site Does grow stronger and help those to find the right path to Allah. :inshallah: . Many thanx P.s I'm not sure how im going to tell my family, so if anyone can give me advice on how to do this with causing problems i will be vvery grateful. :wasalam: kelly bell

tonieann

Ghusl - means to take a bath or wash your entire body, right. Do you need to wash your entire body three times in order to obtain Wudhu?

virtualeye

Tamed Brother
Ghusl - means to take a bath or wash your entire body, right. Do you need to wash your entire body three times in order to obtain Wudhu?

Hello sister,

Thanks for your interest.

Ghusl means to take bath.

There are some things which make the Ghusl obligatory. When does it become obligatory? That is mentioned in the first introductory post.

Most commonly:
If the private part of man enters the private part of his wife the Ghusl becomes obligatory.
OR
If a person has sexual ejaculation (either in marital relationship or in the nightfall or through other means) then Ghusl becomes obligatory.
The Ghusl becomes obligatory upon the excretion of the semen after ejaculation. (so if semen comes out after you took Ghusl, then you need to take Ghusl again).
And in the case of Menses (as mentioned in the top).

The method of Ghusl mentioned at the top of page is actually 'Sunnah' method (the better way/ The way of our Prophet). But there are some basic obligations if we complete then our Ghusl's basic requirements are done.

That is:

1- Cleaning the uncleanliness from our body by rubbing our body parts where the unclean fluid has touched.

2- Doing Taharah, (washing your private parts)

3- Doing Gargle till your throat (as deep possible)

4- Put water in your nose and till the bone of nose (till the soft part of your nose) and clean it.

5- Flow water on all your body that no part of body remains dry. ( you will have to put water on your head multiple times and rub it). Not even a single hair should be dry. Water on each millimeter of body.

Flowing the water 3 times in wudhu or Ghusl is a better 'Sunnah' way but is not obligation.

I hope it answers,

And Allah knows the best.

Bye.