Can a Moslim go to a christian funeral

Dahab

Salaam Aylaikom,

I have a very important question. My dear girlfriend (she and her parents are christians)was seriously ill in hospital with cancer..I went to see her the evening before she died and her parents were with her. I made a effort to make dawah whilst I was there. El hamdulileh for the Islam and that Allah guided me to Islam... I am of course not sure but insha Allah i have planted a few seeds.

This morning her mother phoned me to ask me if I am allowed to go to their church and to light a candle for her daughter. I explained that when we pray we all pray to ONE God. I told her also that I was not sure and that I would ask and let her know as soon as possible.

Can anyone please advise me what to do. I do not want to make Allah angry neither do I want to come across all arrogant towards her parents.

Please, please your answers as soon as possible insha Allah.

Salaam, your sister in Islam Dahab

taybe smiler

السلام عليكم

ukhti . . you can go to a christian funeral ""but"" you cant do like them :)

I dont know if U can light a candle . .

وعليكم السلام

massi

Attending the funeral of a non-Muslim colleague in the church out of respect for the deceased
Is it permissible for a Muslim to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend if it is in the church, as a sign of respect for the deceased?.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for the Muslim to attend the funeral of a kaafir or to enter their churches, even if that is a sign of respect etc, because attending the funeral is a way of showing love and respect, and it is not permissible to show that towards a kaafir, according to the correct view.

Moreover the questioner says, “to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim friend” – but it is not permissible for a Muslim to take a kaafir as a friend, because Allaah has commanded us to regard them as enemies, to shun them and to keep away from them. This does not mean that we should not deal with them or buy and sell or form business partnerships with them. That is one thing, and taking them as friends is another thing. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein (forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the successful”

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

And the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not initiate the greeting of salaam with the Jews and Christians, and when you meet them in the street, force them towards the narrowest part of it.” Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh, 2167 from the hadeeth of Abu Hurayrah.

Shaykh Sulaymaan ib nNaasir al-‘Alwaan

from here

Dahab

Salaam Aylaikom,

Thank you for your answer.

I always thought that a kaafir was a non believer. At least the Christians do believe in God. Or have I misunderstood.

Salaam, Dahab

massi

Salaam Aylaikom,

I always thought that a kaafir was a non believer. At least the Christians do believe in God. Or have I misunderstood.

Salaam, Dahab

How did Christianity become mixed with polytheistic beliefs?
If true Christianity brought the message of the Oneness of God (Tawheed), and stated that He alone is to be worshipped to the exclusion of anyone else in His creation, whether that is ‘Eesa (Jesus) or anyone else, then how did this religion become mixed with polytheistic beliefs (shirk) and how did they take ‘Eesa (Jesus – peace be upon him) and his mother as gods besides Allaah?.

Praise be to Allaah.

There can be no doubt that the call to believe in Allaah alone (Tawheed) and to worship Him alone to the exclusion of anyone else, is the basic message that was brought by the Prophet of Allaah ‘Eesa (peace be upon him), as it was the basic message brought by all the Prophets. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): ‘Worship Allaah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghoot (all false deities, i.e. do not worship Taghoot besides Allaah).’ Then of them were some whom Allaah guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth)”

[al-Nahl 16:36]

“And We did not send any Messenger before you (O Muhammad) but We revealed to him (saying): Laa ilaaha illa Ana [none has the right to be worshipped but I (Allaah)], so worship Me (Alone and none else)”

[al-Anbiya’ 21:25]

‘Eesa will bear witness to this call against his people, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And (remember) when Allaah will say (on the Day of Resurrection): 'O ‘Eesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary)! Did you say unto men: “Worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allaah?”’ He will say: ‘Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it. You know what is in my inner‑self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All‑Knower of all that is hidden (and unseen).

117. ‘Never did I say to them aught except what You (Allaah) did command me to say: “Worship Allaah, my Lord and your Lord.” And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things’”

[al-Maa'idah 5:117]

With regard to how the followers of this religion deviated after that from pure Tawheed to idolatrous beliefs and the worship of Jesus and his mother besides God, this is something which happened early on in Christian history. We will quote here some evidence to that effect from their own people’s words. Let whoever has ears listen.

It says in the American Encyclopedia:

The belief in the Oneness of God – as a theological movement – began at a very early stage in history, and in fact it preceded the belief in trinity by many decades. Christianity developed from Judaism, and Judaism firmly believes that there is one God.

The path that led from Jerusalem (the home of the first disciples of Christ) to Nicea (where it was decided in 325 CE that Christ was equal to God in essence and eternal nature) can hardly be described as a straight path.

The doctrine of trinity which was affirmed in the fourth century CE bears no resemblance to the original teachings of Christ concerning the nature of God. Au contraire, it is the opposite, a deviation from that teaching. Hence it developed in opposition to the belief in One God… (27/294).

You can refer to the views of some of those Christians who still believe in the Oneness of God in the same American Encyclopedia, 27/300-301

Will Durant says:

When Christianity conquered Rome, the new religion (i.e., Christianity) was infused with the blood of the old idolatrous religion: the title of archbishop, worship for the great mother, and an innumerable number of lords who gave peace of mind and were like who exist in all places and cannot be detected with the senses. All of this came into Christianity as the blood of the mother comes into her child.

The civilized empire handed over power and administration to the papacy and the impact of the word replaced the impact of the sword. The preachers of the church started to assume positions of power.

Christianity did not put an end to idolatry, rather it reinforced it. The Greek mind came back to life in a new form, in the doctrines and rituals of the church. The Greek rituals appeared in the rituals of the monastic saints. From Egypt came the idea of the holy trinity, the day of reckoning, eternal reward and punishment, and man’s eternal life in one of the other. From Egypt also came the worship of the mother and child, the mystical union with God, the union which led to Platonism and agnosticism, and the erasing of Christian doctrine. And from Persia came the belief in the return of the Messiah and his ruling the earth for 1000 years.

Qissat al-Hadaarah, 11/418 (The Story of Civilization)

Despite the element of atheism in the words of Durant, which is something that he is known for, and which is apparent in his claim that the idea of eternal reward or punishment came from the Egyptians, tracing the origins of deviant idolatry in Christianity is no longer a secret, and he is not the only one who has researched them. In his book Christianity and Idolatry, Robertson states that Mithraism, which is a religion of Persian origin, flourished in Persia approximately six centuries before the birth of Christ, and it reached Rome around the year 70 CE, where it spread throughout the Roman lands. Then it reached Britain and spread to a number of British cities. What concerns us here about this religion is that it says:

- That Mithras, after whom it is named, was an intermediary between God and man (for a similar doctrine in Christianity, see Acts 4:12).

- He was born in a cave or in a corner of the earth (cf. Luke 2:8)

- His birthday was December 25 (which is the day celebrated by the Christians as the day when Jesus was born)

- He had twelve disciples (cf. Matthew 10:1)

- He died to save the world (cf. I Corinthians 15:3)

- He was buried but he came back to life (cf. I Corinthians 15:4)

- He ascended to heaven in front of his disciples (cf. Acts 1:9)

- He was called “Saviour” (cf. Titus 2:13)

- Among his attributes is that he is like a peaceful lamb (cf. John 1:29)

- The “Divine supper” was held in his memory every year (cf. I Corinthians 11:23-25)

- One of his symbols was baptism

- Sunday was sacred to them

The French Orientalist Leon Joteh, in his book “An Introduction to Islamic philosophy” is of the view that the origin of the Christian trinity is to be found in Greek philosophy, specifically in the ideas of modern Platonism, which took the basis of the idea of trinity as a view of the Creator of the universe from Plato, then developed it to a great extent, so that the resemblance between this idea and Christianity became greater. So (in their view) the Creator, the One Who is absolutely perfect, appointed two intermediaries between him and mankind, who emanated from Him, and were also part of Him at the same time, meaning that they are contained in His essence. These two entities are reasoning and divine spirit. Then he said:

The marriage of Jewish belief and Greek philosophy did not only produce philosophy, rather it produced a religion too, namely Christianity which imbibed many ideas from the Greeks. The Christian concept of divinity is taken from the same source as modern Platonism. Hence you see many similarities between the two, although they may vary in some details. They are both based on a belief in trinity, in which the three “persons” are one.

This is what the American writer Draper refers to:

Idolatry and polytheism entered Christianity through the influence of the hypocrites who occupied positions of influence and high positions in the Roman state by pretending to be Christians, but they never cared about religion and were not sincere at all. Similarly Constantine had spent his life in darkness and evil, and he did not follow the commands of the church except for a short while at the end of his life. (p. 337)

Although the followers of Christianity gained some power, to the extent that they managed to have Constantine appointed as ruler, they failed to eradicate idolatry completely. As a result of their struggle, their principles became fused with idolatry, from which point there developed a new religion in which Christianity and idolatry were manifested equally.

Thus the Christians followed the same path of those disbelievers who had come before them, step by step, as their own Book testifies. And Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And the Jews say: ‘Uzayr (Ezra) is the son of Allaah, and the Christians say: Messiah is the son of Allaah. That is their saying with their mouths, resembling the saying of those who disbelieved aforetime. Allaah’s Curse be on them, how they are deluded away from the truth!”

[al-Tawbah 9:30]

And Allaah is the Source of strength.
Islam Q&A

Salem9022

Salaam Aylaikom,

Salaam, Dahab

Surah Ma'edah 5:72 Surely, they have disbelieved who say: "Allah is the Messiah (Iesa (Jesus)), son of Maryam (Mary)." But the Messiah (Iesa (Jesus)) said: "O Children of Israel! Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Verily, whosoever sets up partners in worship with Allah, then Allah has forbidden Paradise for him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the Zalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers.

73 Surely, disbelievers are those who said: "Allah is the third of the three (in a Trinity)." But there is no ilah (god) (none who has the right to be worshipped) but One Ilah (God -Allah). And if they cease not from what they say, verily, a painful torment will befall the disbelievers among them.

Yes Christians believe in God but the Hindus also believe in God and the Agnostics and the Buddhists, it doesn't mean they are Believers in God. The Pagan Arabs also believed in God but they were Kuffar.

All of these people believe in One God, But they DONT worshipp The One God. There is a Difference between Worshipping One God and Believeing in One God. That is why we have a consept called Tawheed which explains all of these things.

We Muslims Believe in One God and we only Worship the One God and Attribute the Godly Attributes only to that One God and no one Else.

The Christians on the other Hand believe in One God but they worshipp Another Diety called Jesus who they believe is Another God which came in form of a Man from a Women. So they worshipp Jesus which according to Islam is Paganism and goes against the teachings of Tawheed. They take him also in a form of a Trinity they believe God has 3 Manifestations. So instead of worshipping God they worshipp the creation of God which is Jesus.

The same thing with Hindus. The Hindus Believe in One God but they have 36 Billlion Manifestations of that One God. So they worshipp those Manifestations. Similar to the Trinity. And this is All considered to be Paganism according to Islam

Dahab

Salam,

Thank you very much for the explanation...now i see what you mean. May Allah reward you for doing this. We learn new things all the time elhamdulileh.

wa salam, Dahab

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge
I'm confused, you CAN marry them but you can't show affection and go to their churches? That makes no sense.
Brother Waseem, and all other brothers and sisters out there, the proper thing to do is not listen to this Shaikh for what ever he says, because he says two differant things, he tells his opnions, and he doesn't tell what's true by facts all the time, at times by his opinions.

IslamQA, right? *shakes head*

So everyone, even sister Dahab (by the way, don't ever say girlfriend again! I was SO scared when you said that, until I found out that you weren't a boy LoL), don't listen to what he says because he's blowing his things out of proportion TOO much, thus misleading others.

So sister, let me tell you how you can resolve your situation.

No it is not allowed for Muslims to attend Funerals or make Janazah on the Kafir and Munafiq.

One reason why I can say this is from this situation with the Sahabi:

It was before his death that our beloved Father Rasulallah (SAW) told the names of the Hypocrites (Munafiq) to Hudaifah ibn Al Yaman, and instructed him so that no Janazah would be made upon them.

And lighting a candle is forbidden too, because of the fact that it is a tradition and custom of what Non Muslims do, which Rasulallah (SAW) instructed us to be differant from them and not follow them in any way (and he's completed teaching how to be differant from them in many ways during his 23 years or 10 years after Establishing the new Birth of Islam), in ways such as dress, looks, eating, etc. And anyone who follows them are in a complete error.

And there ARE Muslims who do that, lighting candles, or doing some lunatic things during events like marriages, etc. but doing this (lighting a candle) is Bid'ah, an Innovation, an Invention.

Mashallah Allah Ta Alla and Rasulallah (SAW) have taught us to seperate culture and religion, and to take religion to the 100%, and yeah if 100% commitment to Allah Ta Alla means being Extreme, then yes, be (that kind of) extreme, but don't take the teachings of Rasulallah (SAW) past the limits or blwoing it out of proportion, meaning just because Rasulallah (SAW) and the Salaf As Salih (RA) would spend their nights in worshipping Allah Ta Alla, that doesn't mean that you should go to the extremes with that which is by making it frequent, or basically every single day without any sleep at night, because Alhamdulillah if you want to follow the Salaf As Salih and Rasulallah (SAW), but Rasulallah (SAW) set limits on himself too, that's why he would sleep at night at times, and worship Allah Ta Alla throughout the night on other days, and that's what a Muslim brother or sister should do in this situation, by letting themselves rest and making sure that if they want to do it frequently, then they should at least take a break in this habit, which Mashallah is a good habit, but too much is trangressing out of the Sunnah of Rasulallah (SAW).

And sister Dabah, you also said that Christians beleive-
beleive in what? Beleiving means that you beleive in the Oneness of Allah Ta Alla, his Manifest, that he has no partners with him, and that you do not worship or put anyone's status next to that of his (which is stupidest thing anyone can do), and Christians DO NOT follow this. There WERE soem Muslims, or you can see it as this way, "Christains Muslims," from the Ummah of Esa (AS), who beleived that he was the Messenger of Allah Ta Alla, who preserved his teachings and the Injeel from the Haraam Shirk that those many have deviated into, and they beleived in the Oneness of Allah Ta Alla, and especially that he does not bear a son like a Human being or to father a child (which is so dumbt think, if I may say so myself), and there were many stories of those Muslims from the Ummah of Esa (AS) (May Allah Ta Alla Multiply their Status and Ajr in Jannah by the millions, Ameen!) that Rasulallah (SAW) has spoken about, one instance would be of the Companions of the Ditch (see IslamBase.Co.Uk > Lectures > Imam Anwar Al Awlaki > Companions of the Ditch), who where burnt alive because they beleived in the Oneness of Allah Ta Alla instead of worshipping and fearing the Evil and Tyrant King, and the teachers of Salman Al Farisi (RA) (who was from Persia and a former Magian) (fire worshippers) were among those who followed the teachings of Esa (AS), and who told him about the coming Rasul from Allah, which lead Salman Al Farisi (RA) to make Hijrah (emigrate) to see him.

So, it's been like roughly one hour since I've been typing all of this, but when I get the time soon Inshallah, I'll talk about what that Sheikh has said in that Fatwa so that we do not misunderstand what those teachings of Rasulallah (SAW) meant and came from.

And sister Dahab, well, I wanted to ask you a question (but that's not what I basically want to say), what were you before you entered Islam? I'm just a bit curious. :)

And also sister, just tell her parents that you can't attend the funeral for religious reasons, and even though it may seem rude or it might break their heart, know this, that being Dutiful to Allah Ta Alla and obediant to him even in hard times is obligatory upon us Muslims, and Never Ever compromise Allah Ta Alla.

Well anyway, peace out sister Dahab, and I'm always here for my brothers and sisters if they need me. :)

ShyHijabi

So wait a minute, this means I can't go to my mother's funeral when she dies?? I thought we were beholden to our mothers three times as much as to anyone else? Waseem brings up a very good point, males can marry Christian and Jewish women but we can't be kind and living towards them???

I think this scholar is manipulating fiqh, frankly. I think I will ask a scholar face to face on a matter as serious as this, as opposed to getting a fatwas online.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
As-salaamu `alaykum.

`Abdul-Hasib, you say what you say about the Shaykh, the your following line almost comes across like a verdict?! The only thing I can say, is that although I can see why it is impermissible, one should still bury his/her kuffaar parents etc, based upon a hadeeth where a companion (read below, it's none other than `Alee) mentioned his father who was a kaafir and had just passed away, and the Prophet sall-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam ordered him to bury him. The late Shaykh of Yemen, Muqbil Ibn Haadee al-Waadi`ee rahimahullaah, said,

...He is to go and attend the burial with them because of the evidence in Sunan Abee Dawood that ‘Alee - رضي الله عنه- came to the Messenger of Allaah - صلى الله عليه وسلم - and said:

“Your misguided uncle has died.”

So he - صلى الله عليه وسلم - said:

“Go and bury him.”

He [‘Alee] said:

“He died a Mushrik (polytheist).”

He said:

“Go and bury him.”

So he went to bury him and he - صلى الله عليه وسلم - said:

“Do not say anything unless you tell me.”

So he attended and did not say anything.

Question: If the priest started to indoctrinate something to them for example, because Christians indoctrinate [statements] just as the people of innovations do, should he stay with them or leave?

Answer: If he stays, then Inshaa-Allaah there is no harm but he is to hate it in his heart:

“Whoever amongst you sees an abominable act then he should change it with his hands, if he is unable to do so then [he should change it] with his tongue, if he is unable to do so then [he should hate it] with his heart...”

If he leaves then this is better Inshaa-Allaah.​

Bare in mind that this is with respect to parents who have a tremendous right over us. As for the friend, then they don't have anything near to the rights that the parents possess. The reason I'm saying this is because I know of many people who when they read or hear a fatwa, they understand it according to their desires (often not realising), by applying them to their specific yet different situation/s.

The above fatwa was taken from www.madeenah.com, and can be read in full here.

Was-salaam

salamsister

I am a revert. Just over a year ago my dad died. He was not muslim. We went to the funeral at the church. I just sat there. I didn't participate. I was trying so hard not to listen to what they were saying, but I did. And stragely enough.... I was amazed by how they direct everything towards Jesus and not God.

I think it was more of a defense for me to feel that way, it was traumatic really.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

I am a lowly human being. When another human being suffers as in the loss of a beloved one..I am gracious. Often my presence gives the other a little hope. I can extend an arm, a pat on the back, or a simple smile.
We co-exist. When we see another in pain we extend love. We are not a people who live apart from others.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
So wait a minute, this means I can't go to my mother's funeral when she dies?? I thought we were beholden to our mothers three times as much as to anyone else? Waseem brings up a very good point, males can marry Christian and Jewish women but we can't be kind and living towards them???

I think this scholar is manipulating fiqh, frankly. I think I will ask a scholar face to face on a matter as serious as this, as opposed to getting a fatwas online.

It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a kaafir’s funeral if the kaafir is a relative, such as a mother, father, brother or other relative, but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/2278/prophet uncle died

user expired!

:salam2:

Brothers and sister please let's not get too emotional about this.

If the person is a relative including mother, father, brother sister or any other relative including spouse (wife) then it is permissible. BUT we are not allowed to get invovled with the rituals and also if there is Music then it is not permissible.

But other then that i don't think it is ie for a friend.

Ask your local Imam if you're still not sure

xSharingan01x

TraVeLer
:salam2:

The first fatwa seems very strange for some reason.

Second fatwa whoever posted it makes more sense.

It baffles me how there are so many fatwa for everything.

:wasalam:

Aboo00

Attending a non-Muslim neighbor's funeral:
According to one hadith of the Prophet(pbuh)ralated by Tabarani regarding the rights neighbors it says: "The rights of the neighbor is that, when he is sick you visit him; when he dies, you go to his funeral;........"
Since this hadith is talking about neighbors and the neighbor can be a non-muslim, so is it permissible for the Muslim to attend a non-Muslim's funeral? Please shed light on this issue in accordance with the Qur'an and the Hadith.
Also this issue is very important for the new Muslims whose parents have not accepted Islam. Is it permissible to attend a funeral for the non-Muslim parents?
May Allah (swt) bless you. Ameen

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a kaafir’s funeral if the kaafir is a relative, such as a mother, father, brother or other relative, but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion.

Zakariya al-Ansaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “He may (i.e., it is allowed for the Muslim and is not makrooh) attend the funeral of a kaafir relative, because of the report narrated by Abu Dawood from ‘Ali who said, ‘When Abu Taalib died, I came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said, ‘Your uncle, the misguided old man, has died.’ He said, ‘Go and bury him.’” (Reported by al-Nisaa'i, 190). Al-Adhraa’i said: “It is possible that this includes permission to attend the funeral of a wife or slave…”

As for visiting graves, in al-Majmoo’ it says: “The correct view is that this is permissible, and most scholars said this, because of the hadeeth narrated by Muslim in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I asked my Lord for permission to ask for forgiveness for my mother, and He did not give me permission; I asked Him for permission to visit her grave, and He gave me permission.’ It was reported that he also said: “Visit the graves, for they remind you of death.” (Asnaa al-Mataalib Sharh Rawd al-Taalib, part 1, Fasl: Mashiy al-Mashee’ li’l-Janaazah).

One of the differences between going to a Muslim’s funeral and going to a kaafir’s funeral is what was mentioned by al-Mirdaawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) in his book al-Insaaf, where he says in a footnote: “ ‘Those who are walking should walk in front of it [the coffin]’ means that this is better, and this is the madhhab, and this is the opinion of most of the scholars [of that madhhab]. The author of al-Ri’aayah said: “He may walk wherever he wishes.” Al-Musannif said in al-Kaafi: “Wherever he walks, it is OK… and his saying, ‘The riders [should travel] behind’ means that this is better. So there is no dispute in this matter. If he is riding, it is makrooh for him to ride in front.” This is what al-Majd said. What was meant by “the riders [should travel] behind” is that this is how it should be done in the case of a Muslim’s funeral, but if it is a kaafir’s funeral, then the rider may go in front, as mentioned previously.” (al-Insaaf, part 2, Kitaab al-Janaa’iz).

This is provided that attending the funeral does not involve doing anything haraam, such as listening to musical instruments and so on; in that case attending the funeral is haraam. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

This opinion is the concensus.

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum,

As long as we dont pray for their soul,it's ok to attend the funeral especially if those are our relative or we already know about he/she. Another beneficial for attending the funeral according hadits is to memorize the death,that we all those muslim or kuffir will be definitely die, burried,there is nothing left for us except our deed and we will take responsibility for what we have done in our life.

I dont know with you guys but,for me the death is very important as reminder for our true life the akhirah(hereafter)

why we forbid pray for kuffir(pray for other god beside Allah) soul??I read, I find in Quran Prophet Nuh(Noah) Alaihissalam cannot save his son from great flood,Prophet luth alaihissalam cannot save his wive from great earthquake.....I mean, no matter we love somebody so much if at the end he/she still dont have faith we cant save them, even prophet familly cannot be saved.

so attending kuffr funeral? Ok ,give sympathy? OK,Pray for them?if prophet cannot saved their relative why we as a ordinary people can save them?????think about it...sorry if you confuse...

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum

Yes, it is permitted to attend the funeral of a non-Muslim parent, relative, neighbor, or associate. One needs to avoid attending their religious ceremonies, however.

It is mentioned in al-Bahr al-Ra'iq, by Zain al-Din Ibn al-Nujaym, the great Egyptian Hanafi faqih's 7 volume commentary (the 8th volume was authored by another scholar after the former's death) on Imam al-Nasafi's Kanz al-Daqa'iq,a commentary considered one of the very best in the school and used very extensively by Ibn Abidin in his works:

"And one may follow their [i.e. a kafir's] funeral from afar..." (al-Bahr al-Ra'iq, 2.205, Dar al-Kitab al-Islami)

The very same is mentioned by Imam Kamal ibn al-Humam, the Hanafi mujtahid who was a teacher of al-Suyuti and others, in his Fath al-Qadir (2.132, Dar al-Fikr ed.)

Imam al-Kasani mentioned in his Bada'i` al-Sana'i`:

"If a non-Muslim close relative dies, there is nothing wrong with a Muslim to... follow his funeral and bury him, because children were... ordered to keep their company with excellence, for Allah Most High said, "Keep their company in this life with excellence," and from righteousness is to wash him, bury him, and shroud him [f: if no non-Muslim is found to do so, and to follow his funeral in general]." [1.302-303, Ilmiyya ed.]

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam,
Faraz Rabbani.

Khalil2u

I don't advise it.

I have been to a Christian funeral after finding and accepting Islam. When I sat in that church I felt as though Allah would strike me. I felt the devils closing in on me every time that preacher interchanged Isa with Allah. Allah has held me and protected me all my life from my name until I found Islam. As a child I refused to accept any religion. My Christian family did not like this at all that I refused to be baptized into Christianity. I have always thought that I was to smart and have used logic all my life since a young child. After finding Islam after I investigated many of other religions I know that it was not my logic but Allah protecting me all this time. My closest friends father died he was a police officer and has done so much for me growing up. I thought I would go to comfort my friend and her mom and pay my respect. That was a big mistake. Even though growing up I have been to church and attended a Catholic school. When I went to that church I saw how wrong and flawed Christianity is. That preacher interchanged Isa and Allah as if he never read genisis. In the begining God made the heavens and the earth and all that is in it. His face turned into a devil face and the congregation even my friend and her mom also turned into shaitans right in front of my eyes. Since then I have been trying to convert my friend because I love her and on the day I want to see her with her face illuminated. I have since that day taken steps to isolate myself away from my non Muslim friends because I don't want anything to take me away from the strait path. Just remember your friend and pray for her soul because if she was a Christian I fear for her because she was in great error in this life and Allah tells you of the peril that will become of the non believers. I pray that Allah will ease your grief. I can only imagine the pain of losing a friend. After most Christians funerals they have whats called a repass. This is a gathering where people eat and celebrate the life of the dead person after the burial and prayers are not usually said at this function. You can go there to comfort your friends parents and pay your respects. Just watch what you eat.