Part 12: LI- Isa (Jesus) (peace be upon him)

miq1

Praise be to Allah (The Glorified and Exalted).

Prophet Isa (peace be upon him) is known as “Jesus” to non-Muslims. He is only a man and a noble prophet. He only had a mother and no father. The creation of Isa (peace be upon him) was also a Sign of Allah’s Unlimited Power. Allah (The Exalted) has created human beings in various ways, in order to manifest to mankind His Unrestricted Dominance. Adam (peace be upon him) was created without a man or woman, Hawwa (Eve) (peace be upon her) was created from Adam (peace be upon him), Isa (peace be upon him) was created from only a woman, and Allah (The Exalted) has also created numerous human beings through men and women.

The story of Isa (peace be upon him) starts with his miracle birth, in which he was created in the womb of his mother. This is stated in the following verses of the Qur’an:

“Behold! The angels said: ‘O Maryam! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a Word [i.e. “Be”-and he was-the Command of Allah; referring to the miracle birth of Isa (peace be upon him)] from Him: his name will be Messiah Isa, the son of Maryam, held in honor in this world and the Hereafter and of (the company of) those nearest to Allah.” [3:45]

“And Maryam the daughter of ‘Imran, who guarded her chastity [i.e. she was chaste]; and We breathed into (her body) of Our spirit [i.e. soul of Isa]; and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and of His Revelations, and was one of the devout (servants).” [66:12]​

In Arabic, the word “Rooh” is commonly translated as either soul or spirit in the context of referring to an individual, because a soul is the spirit form of the human. The statement “Our spirit” in the mentioned verse (66:12), is meant to exemplify ownership. For example, it is similar to a person claiming possession of an object by saying “my house” or “my car.” Allah is the Creator, He has the Ownership over everything, including the souls of mankind. Allah makes the same statement about the creation of Adam (peace be upon him), by stating the phrase “My spirit”:

“Behold! Thy Lord said to the angels: ‘I am about to create man [i.e. Adam], from sounding clay from mud molded into shape; When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit [i.e. soul of Adam], fall ye down in obeisance unto him.’” [15:28-29]

“The similitude of Isa before Allah is as that of Adam; He created him from dust, then said to him: ‘Be.’ And he was.” [3:59]​

In the Qur’an, the Angel Jabriel (peace be upon him) is also commonly referred to by the epithet “Spirit” (Rooh) or “The Holy Spirit” (Rooh al-Qudus) as a means of honoring him above the rest of the angels. He was the Angel that delivered the Divine revelation to the Messengers (peace be upon them). This is mentioned in the following Qur’anic verses:

“Say, the Holy Spirit [Rooh al-Qudus] has brought the revelation [Qur’an] from thy Lord in Truth, in order to strengthen those who believe, and as a Guide and Glad Tidings to Muslims.” [16:102]

“Verily this [Qur’an] is a Revelation from the Lord of the Worlds: Which the trustworthy Spirit [Rooh] has brought down” [26:192-93]

“Then we sent to her [i.e. Maryam] Our Spirit [Rooh; i.e. Jabriel], and he [Jabriel] appeared before her as a man in all respects.” [19:17]​

It is simple to differentiate between “Rooh” referring to the soul or the Angel Jabriel by looking at the context of the verses.

Isa (peace be upon him) was chosen as a Prophet and Messenger, given the Injil (Gospel), to lead the Children of Israel and to re-purify Allah’s religion. It is important to note that the four gospels the Christians possess in modern times is not the Injil given by Allah, but rather books that have been written by ambigious authors. The same is to be said of the Christian’s entire Bible, it is a collection of books written by men. The Bible does contain some parts of the revelation, but the overwhelming majority of it is falsehood. Therefore, Muslims do not believe in either the Christian’s gospels or their entire Bible. Muslims only believe that Allah revealed the original Injil, which has now been completely lost.

The prophethood of Isa (peace be upon him) was rejected by the majority of the Children of Israel, just as they had rejected Yahya (John) (peace be upon him). Their rejection is mainly due to the fact that both Yahya and Isa (peace be upon them) lived their lives as poor men, whereas many of the previous prophets of the Children of Israel had been wealthy kings. For example, both Dawud (David) and Sulayman (Solomon) (peace be upon them) had ruled over powerful kingdoms. The Children of Israel expected similar leadership in subsequent prophets. Consequently, Allah by His Will, allowed Isa (peace be upon him) to perform numerous miracles in order to prove his prophethood. Among the miracles of Isa (peace be upon him), included curing the ill from disease. This is the reason that Isa (peace be upon him) is referred to as the “Masih (Messiah),” because when he touched (Mash) those afflicted with illness, they would be healed by Allah’s Permission. This is similar to the manner in which the Prophet Muhammad, Musa, and others (peace and blessings be upon them) were allowed to perform miracles by the Permission and Authority of Allah. The miracles of Isa (peace be upon him) are mentioned in the following verses of the Qur’an:

“And in their footsteps We sent Isa the son of Maryam, confirming the Taurat that had come before him: We sent him the Injil: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.” [5:46]

“Then will Allah say [on the Day of Judgment]: ‘O Isa, son of Maryam! Recount My favor to thee and to thy mother. Behold! I strengthened thee with the Holy Spirit [Jabriel]. So that thou didst speak to the people in childhood and in old age. Behold! I taught thee the Book and Wisdom, the Taurat (Torah) and the Injil (Gospel). And Behold! Thou makest out of clay, as it were, the figure of a bird, by My leave (i.e by My permission), and thou breathest into it, and it becometh a bird by My leave, and thou healest those born blind, and the lepers, by My leave. And Behold! Thou bringest forth the dead by My leave. And Behold! I did restrain the Children of Israel from (violence to) thee when thou didst show them the clear Signs, and the unbelievers among them said: ‘This is nothing but evident magic.’’” [5:110]​

After his rejection by the majority of the Children of Israel, Isa (peace be upon him) was raised to Heaven. His enemies had planned to execute him by crucifixion. However, Allah (The Exalted) saved Isa (peace be upon him) from any harm. Another man was substituted for him on the cross. The identity of the other man is unknown. The majority of the scholars regarded the other man as a hypocrite and as an enemy of Isa (peace be upon him). Allah had changed the guise (face) of that man to look like that of Isa (peace be upon him). This event is mentioned in the following verses of the Qur’an:

“Behold! Allah said: ‘O Isa! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself…’” [3:55]

“That they [unbelievers] said (in boast), ‘We killed Messiah Isa the son of Maryam, the Messenger of Allah;’ but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them [i.e. the people crucified the other man], and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not” [4:157]​

Consequently, Isa (peace be upon him) is still alive in Heaven. He was appointed by Allah (The Exalted) to occupy two roles. Isa’s (peace be upon him) first role was to serve as a messenger for the Children of Israel, in order to bring them back to Allah. The second role of Isa (peace be upon him) will become evident in later times, in which he will descend from Heaven to slay Ad-Dajjal (The Liar or False Messiah, Anti-Christ), “And (Isa) shall be a Sign (for the coming of) the Hour (of Judgment)…” [43:61].

And Allah (The Glorified and Exalted) Knows Best.

Also see the thread: "Proving ISLAM" http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40837