Divorce Upon Conversion?

Joslyn

Allah's Way of Life
I have another question:

I am Catholic, as is my husband. We were married in May. If I were to convert/revert to Islam, would I have to divorce my husband? I'm really scared about this.

~ Joslyn ~

:hijabi:

azlina_sam

Welcome Sis Joslyn

Welcome Sis,

Have a pleasant day wherever you are.. Hope you've enjoyed your stay here in TTI.. I'm sure my brothers & sisters are glad to assist you in anyway.. Insya-Allah, Allah will bring you to the true path of religion, Islam, a way of life..

:muslim_child:

:salah:

Regards
Azlina Sam
Singapore

Bluegazer

Hello Joslyn,

The link provided by Kayote leads to an article that does not represent the established answer to your question. That article is part of a Muslim Matrimonial Service website, and so they have an interest to convey ideas that make it easier to get people married, regardless of wether it is permittable or forbidden in the religion of Islam.

The following is an answer to your question from the Fatwa center supervised by Dr. Abdullah Al-faqih:

"Fatwa No. : 3106
Fatwa Title : New Muslima married to a Christian
Fatwa Date : 13 Rabi' Awwal 1423 / 25-05-2002
Question

I have a female friend from Mexico that has been a Muslim for 3 months.
She has been married for 25 years now, has a nice family, and a nice Christian husband. He lets her believe what she wants he believes in freedom of belief. She loves him so and loves her family. She wants to know: should she divorce her husband of 25 years now? Please answer to me quickly because she does not know what to do. All information that I gave for you is right because I know her family and her husband. They are so nice and never ask her about her belief; they let her be free and respect her so.

Fatwa

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the World; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

If a woman embraces Islam before her husband and the husband remains on his Kufr (without embracing Islam) then the wedlock becomes invalid. She has to practice 'Iddah (waiting period). If he embraces Islam during her 'Iddah, then he can take her as his wife. The evidence for this permission is that " Atikah daughter of al-Waleed Ibn al-Mughirah embraced Islam nearly a month before her husband and then he embraced Islam. The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) approved them on their marriage" . [Reported by Imam Malik in his book al-Mutta].
Ibn Abdul Barr said: 'The reputation of this Hadith is stronger than its chain'.
Therefore, your friend should wait for three menses periods, if she still menstruates; otherwise she should wait for three months or till giving birth if she is pregnant.
If her husband embraces Islam during her 'Iddah, then the marriage will be continued; otherwise, the marriage will become null and they become forbidden for each other. A Christian or any other Kafir cannot be a husband of a Muslim woman. There are many supporting proofs for this ruling. The following verse is sufficient: {… And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikun till they believe (in Allah Alone) and verily, a believing slave is better than a (free) Mushrik (idolater), even though he pleases you. …} [2:221].
Allah knows best.

Answerer: Fatwa center supervised by Dr. Abdullah Al-faqih"

Source: http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/ShowFatwa.php?lang=E&Id=3106&Option=FatwaId

I'll try to post more info about this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Bluegazer

Hello Joslyn,

The following is another religious opinion about a woman who accepts Islam while being married to a non-Muslim:

"A woman embracing Islaam whilst her husband does not

Question: Sometimes women embrace Islaam while their husbands do not. It is well known that a Muslim woman is not lawful for a non-Muslim man. However, for a woman to separate from the husband she loves and on whom she may depend for material support and in the breakup of her family is a great trial for her. It might even be a cause for her to hesitate about embracing Islaam. It also often happens that the husband embraces Islaam after a year or so. The wife hopes to attract her husband to Islaam while remaining in the same house as him after she has embraced Islaam. Is there any room in this matter for new independent reasoning, taking into consideration changing circumstances, benefit and the rule "the lesser of two evils"? Or is this matter something decided with no room for independent reasoning and so a woman entering Islaam must separate from her husband and perhaps even from her children?

Response: This question contains in fact two questions, one of which is more important than the other. The first and most important of them, is whether there can be new independent reasoning to solve this problem. The answer to this is that rulings in Islaamic law are of two kinds. The first are those where there is no room for independent reasoning but rather that these rulings are beneficial at every time and in every place. The benefit therein might be clear, apparent and immediate or, alternatively, it might not be. Allaah, the Exalted says: {And Allaah knows while you know not.}, [Soorah an-Noor, Aayah 19].

It might appear to some people that to implement Islaamic law is difficult and sever in this matter and that it causes problems, while the truth of the matter is quite the opposite to what they imagine. Here, in this issue Islaamic law must be applied and there is no room for independent reasoning.

The second kind of ruling in Islaamic law, are those that are general and dependent upon circumstance. The circumstances, meaning or wisdom might be relevant and applicable at one time but not at another. If the ruling is relevant then it is established and applied and if it is no longer relevant then it is annulled. The issue of a Muslim woman staying with a disbeliever is a matter in which there is no room for independent reasoning because Allaah, the Exalted says: {O you who believe! When believing women come to you as emigrants, examine them. Allaah knows best as to their faith. If you are sure that they are true believers do not send them back to the disbelievers. They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them.}, [Soorah al-Mumtahinah, Aayah 10].

Also, a person is not concerned about losing his son, husband or father if it is necessary in order to establish his or her faith and religion. If we consider our righteous predecessors we find that a man might kill his own father or son because they opposed him and stood in his way, in the matter of Allaah's religion. Accordingly, if a woman embraces Islaam and her husband persists in disbelief, most scholars say that one should wait until the 'iddah has ended. If the husband embraces Islaam during the period of the 'iddah, the marriage contract remains valid and they do not separate. However, if the period of the 'iddah ends before the husband has embraced Islaam, then the marriage is recorded as having ended at the time the woman embraced Islaam. She is then no longer lawful for him until her embraces Islaam and remarries her with a new contract (of marriage).

Some scholars say that a woman who embraces Islaam is tied to her husband until the 'iddah comes to an end. During this time it is not possible for her to remarry and if he embraces Islaam she remains his wife. If, on the other hand, the period of the 'iddah has ended and he then embraces Islaam, she has no choice between returning to him, should she so wish, or not. This opinion is the most correct because the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) sent his daughter, Zaynab, back to 'Abu al-'Aas Ibn Rabee' after six years. Therefore, if a woman embraces Islaam and her husband remains a disbeliever, they must separate. If he enters Islaam before her 'iddah has ended, then she is still his husband and does not have a choice of returning to him or not. However, if the period of the 'iddah has ended and she wishes to marry someone else, she has the right to do so. If she remains unmarried and her husband embraces Islaam, even after a long period of time has elapsed, if she so wishes she can go back to him.

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen
al-Aqalliyaat al-Muslimah - Page 69, Fatwa No.9"

Regards,

Bluegazer

Bluegazer

Hello Joslyn,

I realize that the religious opinions I have posted might shock you, but I truly believe that these opinion represent the established and well known answer concerning a woman who embraces Islam while being married to a non-Muslim. I believe it is essential to be extremely clear about this matter. I don't mean to sound as if I'm cold.

I would also like you to consider what God Almighty said:

"Say, [O Muhammad], "If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your relatives, wealth which you have obtained, commerce wherein you fear decline, and dwellings with which you are pleased are more beloved to you than Allāh and His Messenger and jihād [i.e., striving] in His cause, then wait until Allāh executes His command. And Allāh does not guide the defiantly disobedient people."

[Translation of the meanings of the Qur'an 9:24]

There are people who strive all their lives and are willing to sacrifice dear and beloved things for the sake of wealth, fame, .....etc. The goal you aim for in accepting Islam is much higher and far worthier than any worldly goal. It's to attain God Almighty's pleasure, to be saved from Hell and to enter and abide in Heaven in eternal bliss.

I hope you all the best Joslyn.

Regards,

Bluegazer

amin

I found this on www.askimam.com. Hopefully it answers ur question

Question:I reverted to Islam, does this now mean I have to divorce my christan husband of over 16 years?We have been happily married, and now are no longer to have children. He does not mind my being muslim and respects my beleifs. We love each over very much and do not want to part. And he is not willing to revert to Islam just to say married, only if it came from his heart then he would revert. But Its not likely to happen anytime soon.
Answer:If the non-Muslim woman reverts to Islam but her non-Muslim husband does not
do so, then after the passing of 3 menstrual cycles, the marriage will
terminate.

We understand your predicament and sympathise with you. If you are able to
separate from your husband if he does not revert to Islam, then in the eyes
of Allah, this would be highly loved and appreciated. If you cannot part
from him, then you should not turn away from Islam. Therefore, if you have
to remain with him, then daily make Istighfaar (seek Allah's forgiveness)
and constantly invite your husband towards Islam with Hikmat (wisdom) and
patience. Do not be overbearing as this might turn him away from Islam.

May Allah Ta'ala bless your husband with Islam, make your life easy for you
and may He grant you the strength and ability to obey his commands, Aameen.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best
Regards
Mohammad Amin

OmarTheFrench

Al Muwatta Hadith 28.44 says:
Malik related to me from Ibn Shihab that he had heard that in the time of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, women were becoming muslim in their own lands and they did not do hijra while their husbands were still kafirun although they themselves had become muslim. Among them was the daughter of al-Walid ibn al-Mughira and she was the wife of Safwan ibn Umayya. She became muslim on the day of the conquest (of Makka), and her husband, Safwan ibn Umayya fled from Islam. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, sent Safwan's paternal cousin, Wahb ibn Umayr with the cloak of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, as a safe-conduct for Safwan ibn Umayya, and the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, called him to Islam and asked for him to come to him and if he was pleased with the matter to accept it. If not he would have a respite for two months.

When Safwan came to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, with his cloak, he called out to him over the heads of the people, "Muhammad! Wahb ibn Umayr brought me your cloak and claimed that you had summoned me to come to you and if I was pleased with the matter, I should accept it and if not, you would give me a respite for two months. "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Come down, Abu Wahb." He said, "No, by Allah! I will not come down until you make it clear to me." The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "You have a respite of four months." The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, went out toward Hawazin at Hunayn. He sent to Safwan ibn Umayya to borrow some equipment and arms that he had. Safwan said, "Willingly or unwillingly?" He said, "Willingly." Therefore he lent him the equipment and arms which he had. Then Safwan went out with the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, while he was still a kafir. He was present at the battles of Hunayn and at-Ta'if while he was still a kafir and his wife was a muslim. The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, did not separate Safwan and his wife until he had become muslim, and his wife was settled with him by that marriage

Bluegazer

Hello Joslyn,

The following is a religious opinion of Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 4775 [A Christian woman who wants to become Muslim, but her husband is a kaafir and an alcoholic, and she has a relationship with a Muslim man]:

"Question:
I have been studing Islam for a few months now, I have a Quran and am busy reading it and I must admit I am comparing it with the bible. I am almost ready to embrace Islam however I have two major problems. First I am married to a Christian, he drinks a lot and is out of work at this stage, when he drinks I become someone I do not like very much. I do not drink at all and have not for several years. My father was an alcoholic and unfortunately I also married one.
I loved him very much when we got married however he has slowly destroyed this love with his manners and attitude. I do like him, when he is sober he is the kindest and most giving person I know and he would do almost anything for his friends and I think for his family. We have 2 children but they are both very fed up with his drinking. If I had to leave him, he will most definitely land up in the gutter. He will not be able to cope on his own. He has a very low self-esteem at this stage. I am very helpless at this stage and do not know what to do.
My second major problem is I am friends with a much younger Muslim man. We have known each other for a couple of years now and I have also come to love him. The major problem here is he is married and has two children, he is much younger than what I am and he is friends with my husband and I am friends with his wife. I have never indicated to him how I feel or what I feel, but I do dream a lot of what may be. I know this is probably wrong. I am not the type of person who will leave my husband for another man but we have not had a proper marriage relationship for almost six years now and I am not dead yet.
I would like to embrace Islam but I am afraid that my friend's attitude may change towards me when I become a Muslimah, we now visit and talk about almost anything ranging from business to religion and I would not like to loose his friendship by committing myself. My friend is a is very staunch in his religion and he is a practising Muslim.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The conviction that you have reached must be very firm and strong, because it is based on research and study, and comes after you have compared the Bible and the Qur’an. We do not think that that you need to be convinced any further, but the problems that you talk about have to do with the next step, which is really embracing the religion of Islam and starting to practise it by living an Islamic life. We do not see any real obstacles that would prevent you from taking this step. Let us look at each of these problems in turn.

The first problem is: how will your alcoholic husband react to your becoming Muslim? The Islamic ruling is that as soon as you embrace Islam, you start your ‘iddah, which is the waiting period (following dissolution of a marriage).

Maalik (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “According to our opinion, if a woman becomes Muslim when her husband is a kaafir, then he becomes Muslim, then he has more right (to go back) to her as long as she is still in her ‘iddah period, but if her ‘iddah has expired, he has no right to go back to her.”

Al-Shaafa’i said: “If one of them (the couple) becomes Muslim before the marriage is consummated, then their separation takes effect instantly when one of them becomes Muslim. If this happens after the marriage has been consummated, then it becomes the matter of waiting until three (menstrual periods) have passed.” This is if the woman has regular periods; otherwise the waiting period is three months. If the other partner becomes Muslim before this time has passed, then their marriage contract remains valid. (Tabyeen al-Haqaa’iq Sharh Kanz al-Daqaa’iq, part 2, Baab Nikaah al-Kaafir).

This is because a Muslim woman is not allowed to be married to a kaafir at all, because Islam should prevail and not be prevailed over.

So become Muslim, and present Islam to him (your husband). If he becomes Muslim too, then praise be to Allaah. Maybe this will make him give up alcohol. If he does not become Muslim and the ‘iddah time expires, then leave him, especially as his circumstances are not acceptable and and his alcoholism is causing so much trouble for you and your children, and living with him is unbearable. Do not feel any regrets about him; maybe Allaah will compensate you with someone better than him. If he cannot take care of himself, then he only has himself to blame, because he is bringing it upon himself. If you leave him, this make him feel bad and thus bring him back to his senses; maybe then he will become Muslim and get his wife and children back.

The second problem is very serious and dangerous, because it has to do with an Islamically unacceptable relationship between a man and a non-mahram woman who talk together intimately about all kinds of topics, without any controls or restraints. This improper conduct has led to other kinds of improper conduct, namely love and attachment and fear of separation from that person, as well as the weighing up of this relationship against the religion of Islam – even though continuing this intimate relationship is so harmful and entering Islam is obligatory and will bring happiness in this world and salvation from the Fire in the Hereafter. Moreover, we are astonished and wonder how he can be so committed to his religion – as you say – yet he has formed such a relationship with you that you describe him as your friend. You must hasten to enter Islam and advise this person in an appropriate fashion (such as sending him an e-mail, for example). Rest assured that when you become Muslim, Allaah will make for you a way to get out (from difficulty), and He will provide for you from (sources) you could never imagine. So strive to please your Lord, and He will be pleased with you and will make other people pleased with you. May Allaah help us all to do that which He loves and which pleases Him.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid"

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=4775&ln=eng

The following is another religious opinion by Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid. It's an answer to question no. 3408 [Stories of women who became Muslim and left their kaafir husbands]:

"Question:
I know that Muslim women are not allowed in Islam to marry non-Muslim men; there is a sister on a converts list who recently became Muslim and who was asking what to do regarding her non-Muslim husband who accepted her conversion without any problems and who also lets her educate the children the Islamic way. However, when she asked for an advice, most of us told her that the husband has to take shahada or she should not remained married to him otherwise. Unfortunately, some other people don't believe so and advised her the opposite way, that she just should remain with the husband and so on,.... I would like you to send me concrete cases at the time of the Prophet (SAW) where Muslim women (sahabyate) would leave their non-Muslim husbands if those decided not to convert. I think those cases would be the only proof to convince the people of that list that Muslim women are not allowed to marry or remain married to non-Muslims men even though they are not against the woman's conversion.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

What you have said in your question about it being haraam for a Muslim woman to marry a kaafir man is correct, and there is no doubt concerning that.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And give not (your daughters) in marriage to Al-Mushrikoon till they believe” [al-Baqarah 2:221]

Al-Qurtubi said:

“ ‘And give not (your daughters) in marriage’ means, do not give Muslim women in marriage to Mushrik men. The ummah is agreed that a Mushrik should not marry a Muslim woman because this is like putting Islam in an inferior position. (Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 3/72).

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:10]

Al-Bukhaari (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Chapter: when a mushrik or Christian woman who is married to a dhimmi (non-Muslim living under Muslim rule) or a harbi (non-Muslim belonging to a people who are hostile towards Islam) becomes Muslim. ‘Abd al-Waarith said, narrating from Khaalid from ‘Ikrimah from Ibn ‘Abbaas: if a Christian woman becomes Muslim shortly before her husband, she is forbidden for him… Mujaahid said: if he becomes Muslim during the ‘iddah [waiting period following divorce], then he may (re)marry her. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “They are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them” [al-Mumtahanah 60:10]. Al-Hasan and Qutaadah said concerning two Magians who became Muslim that their marriage was still valid. If one of them had become Muslim and the other had refused, the woman would have been divorced and he would no longer have any rights over her.

(Saheeh al-Bukhaari. See al-Fath, 9/421).

Examples of such women include:

Zaynab, the daughter of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). She was married to Abu’l-‘Aas ibn al-Rabee’ during the Jaahiliyyah, but when she became Muslim, their marriage was annulled, and she went and stayed with her father (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). When her husband became Muslim, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) sent her back to him.

(Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 1143; Abu Dawood, 2240; Ibn Maajah, 2009; classed as saheeh by Imaam Ahmad, 1789. Al-Tirmidhi said, there is nothing wrong with its isnaad).

The correct view is that the husband can go back to her with no need to renew the marriage contract.

If the woman is still in her ‘iddah, he has more right (than anyone else) to marry her. If her ‘iddah has ended, she is free to choose whether to go back to him or not.

Al-Tirmidhi said:

On the basis of this hadeeth, the scholars said that if a woman becomes Muslim before her husband, then her husband becomes Muslim whilst she is still in her ‘iddah, then the husband has more right to her whilst she is still in her ‘iddah. This is the view of Maalik ibn Anas, al-Oozaa’i, al-Shaafa’i, Ahmad and Ishaaq.

(Sunan al-Tirmidhi, Hadeeth 1142).

Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said:

There is no dispute among the scholars concerning the fact that if a kaafir woman becomes Muslim then her ‘iddah ends, her husband has no rights concerning her if he has not become Muslim during her ‘iddah.

(Al-Tamheed, 12/23).

Ibn al-Qayyim said:

But what the ruling of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) indicates is that the marriage comes to a halt. If he becomes Muslim before the end of her ‘iddah, then she is (still) his wife, but if her ‘iddah ends, then she may marry whomever she wants. If she likes, she can wait for him, and if he becomes Muslim she is his wife and there is no need to renew the marriage contract.

(Zaad al-Ma’aad, 5/137, 138)

Al-Qurtubi said:

Talhah ibn ‘Ubayd-Allaah was married to Arwaa bint Rabee’ah ibn al-Haarith ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib. They were separated by Islam, then in Islam Khaalid ibn Sa’eed ibn al-‘Aas married her. She was one of the [Muslim] wives of the kuffaar who fled to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kept her in Madinah and married her to Khaalid.

(Tafseer al-Qurtubi, 18/65, 66)

It was reported that Anas said: Abu Talhah married Umm Sulaym and the mahr between them was Islam. Umm Sulaym became Muslim before Abu Talhah. He proposed marriage to her and she said, “I have become Muslim. If you become Muslim I will marry you.” So he became Muslim and that was the mahr between them.

(Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 3340)

The daughter of al-Waleed ibn al-Magheerah, the wife of Safwaan ibn Umayyah, became Muslim before him, and the marriage was annulled. Then he became Muslim later on, and she went back to him. It was narrated by Maalik in al-Muwatta’, 1132. Ibn ‘Abd al-Barr said: I do not know of any unbroken saheeh isnaad for this hadeeth, but it is famous and well known to the scholars of seerah, Ibn Shihaab, the leader of the scholars of seerah, and al-Shu’bi. The fame of this hadeeth is stronger than its isnaad in sha Allaah.

(al-Tamheed, 12/19)

Umm Hakeem bint al-Haarith ibn Hishaam, the wife of ‘Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl. Her marriage was annulled, then he became Muslim during her ‘iddah, so she went back to her husband.

(Narrated by Ibn Abi Shaybah in al-Musannaf, 4/107)

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid"

Source: http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=3408&ln=eng

Regards,

Bluegazer

msameer

Dear Sister,

Bluegazer's link and the text is reliable and accurate. I think that you should study Islam and educate your husband as well and pray to God Almighty to help you guide your husband to the truth so that the question of divorce then does not arise !

May Allah guide your entire family to Islam and also help you in convincing your husband of the truth.

Your Brother in Islam.

Bluegazer

Hello Joslyn,

I don't mean to be going on and on with the same point, but I believe this post contains issues that were not fully discussed in my previous posts. Below is a religious opinion by Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen. It's his answer to question no. 4036 [She wants to embrace Islam but does not want to leave her kaafir husband]. I'm posting this particular opinion for two reasons:

a) It contains more details about how the Muslim wife of a Christian man should act during the 'idda [waiting period following the dissolution of a marriage].

b) It contains important instructions to my brothers and sisters in Islam about calling to Islam women who are wives of non Muslim men.

And here is the opinion:

"Question:

In the Islamic centres and when calling non-Muslim women to Islam, we are faced with the problem of the wife’s attachment to her kaafir husband who does not want to become Muslim. It is difficult for the woman to sacrifice her marriage, especially when the couple has children and the husband treats her well and she feels a great deal of love for him. We know that if a kaafir woman becomes Muslim it is not permissible for her to remain in a marriage with a kaafir man, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “… they are not lawful (wives) for the disbelievers nor are the disbelievers lawful (husbands) for them…” [al-Mumtahinah 60:10]. How should we deal with this problem? Is it permissible for us to focus on the issue of the woman becoming Muslim and ignore the rest of the matter?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

We put this question to Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

A woman says, I want to become Muslim, and my husband is good and I do not want to leave him. What should I do?

He answered:

“She has to leave him, but is it possible for her to call him to Islam? She could say, ‘I want to become Muslim, but if I become Muslim, the marriage will become null and void unless you become Muslim too.’ Hopefully if she says this to him, he will become Muslim too.’”

Question:

If she become Muslim, can she stay in the marital home while she calls him to Islam, or should she leave?

Answer:

“If she is hopeful that he will become Muslim, she can stay in the marital home until the end of her ‘iddah (waiting period following the dissolution of a marriage).”

Question:

Can she uncover herself (go without hijab) during the ‘iddah or not?

Answer:

“To be on the safe side, she should not uncover, because there is no certainty that he will agree to become Muslim.”

Question:

And she should not be alone with him?

Answer:

“And she should not be alone with him.”

Question:

If telling her about this could turn her away from Islam, is it permissible for us according to sharee’ah to conceal the second part of the answer from her, so that we could tell her, “Become Muslim first, then we will tell you about the ruling on staying with your husband”?

Answer:

“No, if we say this, and then we tell her about the ruling and she leaves Islam (becomes an apostate), this will make the problem worse. For this reason the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib, when he sent him to the people of Khaybar: ‘Call them to Islam and tell them what they have to do in the way of duties towards Allaah.’”

Question:

So now if she continues to live with him after she becomes Muslim she is guilty of a major sin (kabeerah)?

Answer:

“Yes that is the case, but she should not persist in zinaa (unlawful sexual relationship).”

Question:

Briefly, how should we answer her?

Answer:

“Tell her: Become Muslim, and know that if you become Muslim and your husband does not, the marriage will become null and void.”

When we are talking to women who will be faced with this issue, we should focus on the following points:

Giving priority to love for Allaah and His Messenger over love for anyone else.

If she is sincere in calling him to Islam and in praying for him, Allaah may guide him at her hands.

- Whoever gives up something for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him or her with something better.

Allaah will never forsake His slave who gives up something he or she loves for His sake.

When a woman like this becomes Muslim and leaves her husband, one of the Muslim brothers should come forward to marry her and take her children into his family, or good-hearted Muslims should undertake the responsibility of spending in charity on her and her children. We ask Allaah to guide us and grant us strength and help us to do the right thing. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen"

Source: http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=4036&ln=eng

I'd like you to read the story of a woman who became a Muslim while she was married to a Christian man. Her name is Aminah Assilmi. I believe you'll benefit greatly from reading it. Please click on the following link:

http://thetruereligion.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=195

Regards,

Bluegazer

Joslyn

Allah's Way of Life
Thank You

Thanks you, Bluegazer, for your in-depth answers. I'll admit, it is quite a shock, especially because I have no where to live if I become Muslim and divorce my husband. Perhaps divorce wouldn't be such an issue at that point, because I am sure the news would cause my husband's death. I am not joking.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Thanks you, Bluegazer, for your in-depth answers. I'll admit, it is quite a shock, especially because I have no where to live if I become Muslim and divorce my husband. Perhaps divorce wouldn't be such an issue at that point, because I am sure the news would cause my husband's death. I am not joking.

Hi, im so sorry to hear that, still i feel you should become a Muslim. Remember that Allah will help you and do best for you.

Where is it you live?

ibn azem

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Joslyn,

I think too you should become muslim if you have already decided, that is the most important thing, and the rest will come insha'Allah.

OmarTheFrench

Convert you its important.
But attention go slow with your husband,the death of someone isn't nothing.

Mays Allah guide you and him.

lakivip

VIP GIRL
sis do you mean ...you where catholic before and now you became muslim while you was married?

I have another question:

I am Catholic, as is my husband. We were married in May. If I were to convert/revert to Islam, would I have to divorce my husband? I'm really scared about this.

~ Joslyn ~

:hijabi: