ISLAM SUBWAY ADS CAUSE STIR IN NEW YORK IMAM SIRAJ WAHHAJ

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

Salam Alaikum Brother/Sisters

First I will post a short autobiography of Imam Siraj Wahhaj for those who do not know who he is.

Imam Siraj Wahaj

Siraj Wahaj, Imam of Masjid Taqwa in New York is well known among Muslims in North America as a dynamic speaker and tireless supporter of Islamic causes.

Imam Siraj Wahhaj, currently the Imam of Masjid Al-Taqwa in Brookyn, New York, accepted Islam in 1969. He received Imam training at Ummul Qura University of Makkah in 1978 and has gone on to become a national and international speaker on Islam.

Imam Wahhaj has been Vice President of ISNA U.S. since 1997 and has served on Majlis Ash-Shura since 1987. He is a past member of ISNA's Planning Committee and has served as a member of the Board of Advisors for NAIT from 1989-1993. He is also a member of the Board of Advisors for the American Muslim Council.

Imam Wahhaj has appeared on several national television talk shows and interviews especially about his anti-drug campaigns. He received high praises from the media and NYPD for initiating anti-drug patrol in Brooklyn, New York in 1988.

Among other achievements, Imam Wahhaj was the first person to give an Islamic invocation to the United States Congress.

Imam Siraj Wahhaj is originally from New York.

Source: http://www.onlineislamicstore.com/audio-lectures-speeches-single-tapes-imam-siraj-wahaj.html

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

Here is the news....

Islam subway ads cause stir in New YorkStory Highlights
Islamic Circle of North America will place ads on 1,000 subway cars

Ads are simple black-and-white panels set to run in September Congressman says he has problems with backers of ads

New York Post story headlined "Jihad Train"

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Ads promoting Islam are to be placed on New York subway cars in September, but a U.S. congressman finds people sponsoring the messages unacceptable.

Siraj Wahhaj is imam of a Brooklyn mosque and a backer of pro-Islam ads on New York subway cars.
1 of 2 "I have no problem with the ad itself, but I have a very, very real problem with those behind it," Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican, said Tuesday. He is urging the Metropolitan Transit Authority to reject the ads.

The campaign is to feature ads on 1,000 of the subway system's roughly 6,200 cars. The main sponsor is a grass-roots organization, Islamic Circle of North America.

The ads, simple black-and-white panels, will feature key words or phrases about Islam on one side of the panel such as "Head Scarf?" or "Prophet Muhammad?" and the words "You deserve to know" along with the Web site address WhyIslam.org on the other side.

"The idea is to evoke certain thoughts in the mindset of the person who is looking at the ads and get them to a point where they can reflect upon certain words that one could define as hot words or keywords that get thrown around a lot but are not necessarily defined in the most proper context," said New York University's Imam Khalid Latif, a cleric who is promoting the project in a YouTube video created by the Islamic Circle. Watch the controversy surrounding the subway ads »

Another of the backers of the advertising campaign -- which will launch in September to coincide with the monthlong Islamic holiday of Ramadan -- is Siraj Wahhaj, imam of a Brooklyn mosque.

Wahhaj was the first Muslim to lead a prayer before the House of Representatives, but King objects to him because he was a character witness for convicted 1993 World Trade Center bombing mastermind Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman.

"He is a known Islamic extremist, and you would be giving him credibility and stature through a known government facility," said King, ranking member of the Homeland Security Committee.

Don't Miss
Islamic Circle of North America
Wahhaj also appeared on a list of 170 potential unindicted co-conspirators in the 1993 bombing case. A prosecutor said that not everyone on the list was considered a co-conspirator.

On Monday, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg did not join in King's outrage about the ads.

"If you were to advocate becoming a Muslim, I assume the First Amendment would protect you," he said.

But King, noting that the ads would be up during the seventh anniversary of the September 11 attacks, said, "I'm calling on the MTA not to have these ads, not to go forward with them, and I don't see this as a free speech issue at all."

King said he sent a letter to the MTA on Monday night demanding that it reject the ads.

The New York Post has reacted strongly to the ads, running a cover photograph of Wahhaj on Monday with the headline "Jihad Train" and posting an article on its Web site with the headline "Train-ing day for jihadists" and the first paragraph saying, "Allah aboard!"

Abdel-Rahman and nine others were convicted in 1995 of seditious conspiracy for their role in a plot to bomb the United Nations, FBI headquarters in Manhattan, two tunnels in New York and a bridge connecting New Jersey with Manhattan, all in one day.

The government said the group also was responsible for the February 26, 1993, World Trade Center bombing that killed six people and injured more than 1,000.

Andrew McCarthy, a former federal prosecutor in that case, said Wahhaj's name was included in a filing that prosecutors were required to provide to defense attorneys in the case, a list of all the names of people who could possibly be foreseen to come up in the evidence. The filing, McCarthy said, has been called a "co-conspirator list." But Wahhaj was never named by the prosecution.

"The only time he came up in a meaningful way before the jury is when the defense called him as a witness," McCarthy recalled.

McCarthy said that although the list named anyone the government might allege during the trial was a co-conspirator, not everyone on the list was so labeled.

Wahhaj said Monday that he was a character witness for Abdel-Rahman in the context of "what we knew about him before the incident," citing him as a "scholar in Islam" and "a great reciter of the Quran."

"People try to make the connection as if I'm endorsing some bad deeds that [were] done by Sheik Abdel-Rahman," he said. "That had nothing to do with it."

He added, "not only have I never been charged with anything, not one FBI agent has ever asked me one question in relationship to that bombing."

Wahhaj also said that he regrets some of his more controversial statements, such as calling the FBI and the CIA "terrorists."

"What I was saying is that not all the FBI or CIA are terrorists, but there are some elements in there," he said. "So if you want to accuse some Muslims [of being terrorists], OK. These Muslims did that, but don't undermine the entire faith. That's what the message is."

Wahhaj said the New York Post's "cheesy" and "anti-Islam" reaction to his participation in the Subway Project is "the very reason the young Muslims want to put out this ad campaign."

Islamic Circle spokesman Azeem Khan called the situation a "perfect microcosm" of what the ads seek to address: that Wahhaj's portrayal in media reports is similar to how Islam is often depicted.

"I think that even more so reinforces the idea as to why a project like this is necessary, where Muslims have to be more pro-active in terms of educating people about their religion, by no means proselytizing the faith in any capacity, but really setting a standard and defining what mainstream Islam stands for," Latif said.

The project is the Islamic Circle's first such advertising campaign. The group has run ads before but not on New York's subways.

The transit authority said the cost of the monthlong campaign is about $48,000.

CNN's Shirley Zilberstein, Mary Snow and Jennifer Rizzo contributed to this report

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

I wish the congressman would just stop. He knows he does not care who is backing the ads and he just does not want them viewed on public transportation. Public transporation is from the gov't and to put them on their would seem as if the support Islam and they will probably take a lot of heat. I think this is a good idea and inshallah they get posted. People need to know the truth about Islam but does the gov't really want you to know? If someone takes offense to the ad do not read it! I had Christains put a postcard of Jesus on my door. I understand the are trying to give their Dawah and make some points. Did I read it, no. Will somebody, yes. The same with us muslims we want to clear misconceptions. We all read it in the subway, no probably not. Will some, of course. This gives people a chance to at least know Islam not even for conversion but for the truth.

Inshallah our Imams that are in the public eye can stop getting slack about being terrorist. This is getting ridiculous. They say in america there is freedom of speech. Were is it now when you need it? Oh and let's not forget everyman is innocent until proven guilty!!! How is the congressman trying to penalize him and he was not convicted of anything!!!!!! So what we have is a innocent Imam wanting to post ads about Islam. What is the problem the congressman is having with the one backing the ad?

May Allah reward Imam Siraj Wahhaj for all of his efforts here and in the hereafter.

Salam Amirah80:hearts:

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
WOW! Alhamdulillah I have met this man and I believe every word out of his mouth. I also know that no one else would have come up with something as brilliant as this but him.

This will be very interesting. And since I'm always taking the train to Manhattan, I guess I'll soon see how it'll all turn out. Here's to hoping these make a difference InshAllah!

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
WOW! Alhamdulillah I have met this man and I believe every word out of his mouth. I also know that no one else would have come up with something as brilliant as this but him.

This will be very interesting. And since I'm always taking the train to Manhattan, I guess I'll soon see how it'll all turn out. Here's to hoping these make a difference InshAllah!

Salam Alaikum

Inshallah you will be able to give us a update in what you actually see going on if this does get added to the subway system. It would be nice to get some first comments on the reaction of people. Just a thought.

Salaam,

The New York Post's anti-Islamic articles and the Islamophobic congressman's view should be a clear & valid reason to put up the ads.

I've seen church ads on the trains here in Washington DC but you don't hear me or other Muslims complaining. You don't see Muslims trying to pull out investigative reports and background checks on those advertisers. It's simple, live your own life.

WhyIslam is a great Muslim organization. They promote Islamic ads heavy. I heard them on NPR news before. Here is an article I read awhile ago related to this subject but in Baltimore, Maryland (USA): Baltimore I-95 Drivers Asked: Why Islam?

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

He is a radical extreme Muslim cleric according to Fox news. I had to rewind that one several times. They would not show his face. You saw a beard and verbage and finally a face. They had to paint a demon before you saw his eyes.

He was a member of the Nation of Islam and reverted to Islam. He is outspoken and disagreed with Desert Storm. He is man with sense. He taught at Howard University and has done amazing work for Brooklyn and Muslims.

As I do not live in NYC I have asked a friend to pick up a poster for me. She could not believe I asked. I told her I would love to see the look on the faces of people as an Hijabi takes a poster.

On a serious note..there is no freedom of speech for Muslims. We are so alien we can not even place an ad without it being construed as a terrorist plot

Abdul Hasib

Student of Knowledge

WOAH that's getting a bit weird now. I've been to Manhattan before on a 3 day Jamaat.

Gosh there are more TTI brothers and sisters that live close to me thna I thought!

I remember in that Masjid too that an African American brother took Shahadah, and then someone told him that he could go see Sheikh Serak Wahaj and he'll teach him alot, and so I shed some light about Sheikh Seraj Wahaj, and Mashallah I hope he learns alot from him. :)

And for those of you who don't alreay know why the US doesn't want these things to happen:

Battle of The Hearts And Minds (click here!)

But we WILL stand victorious, and the enemies of Allah Ta Alla shall be defeated, like how
Amreeca already is right now, Mashallah.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
I live in NY and I am going to look out for those posters and pick one up. I go to Masjid Taqwa and going there tomorrow for jummah inshallah. May Allah reward him for his efforts, Ameen!!

Just in time for Ramadan, Alhamdullilah!

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Sweet sister pick up two. I swear if I could I would enlarge one of the posters to the size of a billboard and place it at the interesection of Rt. 460 and I-77.
It is no longer " Uncle Sam wants you..it is Muslims want you!!!

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
I wonder what they are all afraid of? Someone might actually take shahadah!! We need this, subhanallah!! I see the christians on the street with their microphones preaching and handing out bibles, I wonder if they were penalized!

When I was little, muslims would be on the train giving out dawah phamplets and talking about Allah and was not scared at all, subhanallah!! I pray that this brings more muslims into Islam inshallah. I will be checking the trains!

ShahnazZ

Striving2BeAStranger
Salam Alaikum

Inshallah you will be able to give us a update in what you actually see going on if this does get added to the subway system. It would be nice to get some first comments on the reaction of people. Just a thought.

:wasalam:

Yeah, sure no problem. I am POSITIVE this is going to cause both positive and negative reactions, based on the mentalities of New Yorkers, there are definitely going to be extreme reactions on both ends. I just hope it doesn't give some an excuse to start hate crimes lol.

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

The words of Rep. Peter King"

September 19, 2007

Read More: Homeland Security

Rep. Peter King: There are "too many mosques in this country”

New York Rep. Peter King, a prominent House Republican, said there are “too many mosques in this country” in a recent interview with Politico.

“There are too many people sympathetic to radical Islam,” King said. “We should be looking at them more carefully and finding out how we can infiltrate them.”

King is the ranking Republican on the House Homeland Security Committee. And as an outspoken advocate of strong anti-terror measures, he has been unafraid to ruffle some feathers in his drive to protect the homeland.

When asked to clarify his statement, King did not revise his answer, saying “I think there has been a lack of full cooperation from too many people in the Muslim community.” The interview was for a profile of the committee, as part of Politico’s Committee Insider Series.

Salaam,

It is no longer " Uncle Sam wants you..it is Muslims want you!!!

Salaam,
:lol:

This Peter King guy needs to be sent to a Islam-awareness training class. It's devils like him that cause hell on earth. He is the epitome of a Islamophobic. He shouldn't receive any attention.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salaam,

New York Rep. Peter King, a prominent House Republican, said there are “too many mosques in this country” in a recent interview with Politico.

Salam Alaikum

To bad. LOL Islam is growing and growing so there will be more mosque coming, inshallah.

Khalil2u

this is the bull that you put up with in the USA. I feel that it won't be long before an uprising will happen. I'm a black muslim in AMERICA AND I AM GETTING SO FED UP!!!!!! Allah take me away from here I beg of you. If you read this and your not from America don't come here. Please.:tti_sister: