Polygamy in Christianity and Islam

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
:wasalam:

Polygamy in Christianity and Islam

It is a very interesting one, because any mention of polygamy to those who are not Muslim usually evokes an immediate response of shock and even disgust. It is seen as the ultimate example of woman's degradation in a religion totally dominated by men.

It is so important, then, for us to address the issue. Non-Muslims have no understanding about the purpose of taking more than one wife and they have very little understanding of the place polygamy has in Islam, or of the reasons for it being tolerated.

Muslims, too, when confronted aggressively about polygamy by non-Muslims and asked why Islam allows a man to take more than one wife, often remain silent, wondering what to say or how to explain it. Their slow response suggests dissatisfaction with polygamy itself and hints that it cannot really be justified in our modern age by educated men and women. We have a great responsibility to present the truth.

The famous Christian Evangelist and preacher Dr. Billy Graham has this to say about Islam and polygamy:

"Christianity cannot compromise on the question of polygamy. If present day Christianity cannot do so, it is to its own detriment. Islam has permitted polygamy as a solution to social ills and has allowed a certain degree of latitude to human nature but only within the strictly defined framework of the law.

Christian countries make a great show of monogamy, but actually they practice polygamy. No one is unaware of the part mistresses play in Western society. In this respect Islam is a fundamentally honest religion, and permits a Muslim to marry a second wife if he must, but strictly forbids all clandestine amatory associations in order to safeguard the moral probity of the community." (Quoted in Women In Islam by Dr. Sherif Abdel Azeem)

He quite clearly recognizes that Islam has an important role in society.

We must be very clear, though, about what we are told in the noble Qur'an:

*{If you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two or three or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with them, then only one}* (An-Nisaa' 4:3)

Islam was quite revolutionary in limiting the number of wives a man could take to four. It was quite normal throughout the Arabian Peninsula for a man to have many wives, but Allah limited this to two, three, or four. The conditions are also very clear. A man must be able to deal justly with each of the wives, treating them equally. If he is not able to do this, and this is a very difficult requirement, some might even say impossible, he should marry just one wife.

Polygamy was permitted because of a pressing social need in the early Muslim community. Many widows were uncared for because their husbands had been killed in battle. Taking more than one wife was seen as a way of caring for these women.

We should also remember that polygamy is permitted in Islam. It is tolerated. In other words, it is allowed in certain pressing circumstances, but is by no means the norm and should not even be considered as particularly desirable.

Islam is an eminently sensible religion and has provided ways for people to live together in harmony. There is, however, one thing that is perfectly clear. Satisfying a man's sexual appetites has nothing to do with polygamy in Islam. This is not why it is allowed. Any suggestion to the contrary is wrong. If as Muslims we were able to convince the world of this, we might just be able to let people see Islam for what it really is, and not for the caricature by which it is often portrayed.

When talking about polygamy in Islam to others, we must not forget to mention to them that polygamy existed in the Old Testament. We are told in the First Book of Kings that King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3) and in the Second Book of Samuel that King David had many wives and concubines (2 Samuel 5:13). In the Book of Deuteronomy, we are told how to divide a man's property among the sons of different wives (Deuteronomy 22:7).

In the New Testament, used by Christians, Jesus does not at any stage explicitly forbid polygamy or recommend that a man take only one wife. This is surely a very interesting omission since the Jews of Jesus' time were still taking more than one wife. If polygamy were contrary to his teaching, he would surely have said something on the subject.

Saint Paul, the real founder of the Christian religion, again does not speak out against polygamy. In fact, Paul is so concerned that the world is about to end, that he actually recommends not marrying for those who are not yet married, since there would not be time enough left for a couple to enjoy marriage!

It is Saint Augustine of Hippo who advises Christians to abide with the existing Roman ruling of taking only one wife, although the Romans and the Greeks did take mistresses quite openly in their societies.

In such a brief answer to your question, we can only say that polygamy did certainly exist in the Old Testament and that Jesus did not condemn it in the New. Those who would point accusing fingers at Islam should recognize this.

They should also admit that Islam was revolutionary, as we have said, in limiting the number of wives a man could take, and this only if he could treat them equally. The whole reason for taking more than one wife was to take care of those women who had no one to care for them. In such a society as that of the early Muslims in the Arabian Peninsula, this was a pressing need.

In our own age, when women outnumber men in some countries, we might need, as a society, to look once more at the example and the solution which Islam provided fourteen centuries ago.

Muslims have no reason to be silent when polygamy is mentioned. If some people have brought polygamy into disrepute by the way they treat women, we should also remember that Islam has nothing to be ashamed of.

Islam is perfect, even though Muslims are not. Polygamy is tolerated by Islam as a way of resolving life's difficulties. Therefore, polygamy is there but it does not have to be practiced. We can let the rest of the world know this.

IbnAdam77

Travelling towards my grave.
:salam2:

:ma: a very informative article...JazakALLAH khair....

wassalam

-bother IbnAdam-

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
All christians and jew must read their bible before they judge Quran

the polygamy is mentiones in Bible

:tti_sister: MAY ALLAH ENTER YOU ALL BROHERS AND SISTERS AL FARDOOS

Salaam,

Nice post. Jazakallah khair.

Islam is honest and upfront with the issue of polygamy. Christians at face value disagree with this idea & belief, but actually practice it silently and illegally without ever putting any thought.

They have illegitimate girlfriend/boyfriends on and off, then go off cheating and having affairs with other girls/boys. When compared to this evil act, polygamy is actually a beautiful thing - and of course this in Islam is an individuals option and is recommended to have one wife :shake:

In Christianity, evil acts (girlfriend/boyfriend, drinking, smoking, gambling, adultery, etc) are due to the teachings of blind faith. Where salvation is only based on faith and not action & deeds.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salaam,

In Christianity, evil acts (girlfriend/boyfriend, drinking, smoking, gambling, adultery, etc) are due to the teachings of blind faith. Where salvation is only based on faith and not action & deeds.

I agree with you about Islam address polygamy up front. Even thou I see alot of christains taken boyfriend/girlfriends and doing some of the other things listed. I feel it isnt the religion itself that teaches that but the people trying to use the religion to accommodate their lifestyle if they are very religious at all. Just like I see some muslims doing wrong and some of the same things but I dont want anyone to say that is Islam. I can remember before coming to Islam the preacher saying boyfriends/girlfriends are not allowed at all the only relationship is marriage. But drinking I remember some preachers saying you can't while some saying it is ok but do not get drunk. Smoking, gambling and adultrery I was taught were wrong as well.

Salam Amirah80
:hijabi:

Grace Adler

Salaam,

Islam is honest and upfront with the issue of polygamy. Christians at face value disagree with this idea & belief, but actually practice it silently and illegally without ever putting any thought.

They have illegitimate girlfriend/boyfriends on and off, then go off cheating and having affairs with other girls/boys. When compared to this evil act, polygamy is actually a beautiful thing - and of course this in Islam is an individuals option and is recommended to have one wife :shake:

No at all. If you made a mistake and regrets it with all your heart, you'll be forgive, because God is generous. But if you make wrong things, you won't be forgive.

I'm not sure about polygamy, but in Brazil you can't have more than one wife/husband.

dianek

Salaam,

Why do you associate "evil acts" with being christians....is it not the same thing society does to muslims by associating bad things with islam? A TRUE PRACTICING CHRISTIAN does not have affairs.....these deeds are not synonimous with being Christian as I know MUSLIMS who do these things as well. And I am sure you will all say then they are muslim in name only....I think the same applies here.....do not put guilt on the mass for some.......PLEASE.

I feel it isnt the religion itself that teaches that but the people trying to use the religion to accommodate their lifestyle if they are very religious at all.

Salaam sister Amirah,

I hope my post finds you in the best of health and iman.

You said that Christianity shouldn't be blamed for the evil actions of it's people. I will respectfully disagree with you on this matter.

Christianity is solely based on faith & not deeds (i.e. original sin). This is one of the core teachings of the Bible. Faith, faith, faith. Please see:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212943&postcount=6

So the next question should be - are Christians "practicing" their religion? Yes - it's the religion and the belief system incorporated in it that has made the average Christian commit great sins - they are "practicing" what they are taught, but what they are "practicing" might not right according to the Quran & by the "common" nature of man of what is right and wrong.

So to me a "practicing" Christian is one that does drink, smoke, gamble, sin, sin, sin. As for Muslims committing evil acts then I say they aren't "practicing" Islam properly, because these acts are clearly forbidden in Islam.

I do not disregard the Bible in complete, because there are verses in there that are consistent with the Quran - which I agree. Where verses contradict the Quran, then I disagree. Where there are verses in the Bible that is not in the Quran, I tend to stay neutral.

Why do you associate "evil acts" with being christians....is it not the same thing society does to muslims by associating bad things with islam? A TRUE PRACTICING CHRISTIAN does not have affairs.....these deeds are not synonimous with being Christian as I know MUSLIMS who do these things as well. And I am sure you will all say then they are muslim in name only....I think the same applies here.....do not put guilt on the mass for some.......PLEASE.

Salaam sister Diane,

I have provided direct verses from the Bible. See the post above.

dianek

HumbleWun.....my great grandmother was the most devout Christian I have ever known....she never drank, swore, smoked, gambled or otherwise. She never even so much as CUT HER HAIR to that her hair would be sure to cover her head and if she let it down would cover her whole body. She were "bonnets", like from Little house on the Prairie when attending church. She was married to one man until he died and she NEVER dated nor married any other. They married at 17. He was her one and only. She never ate pork either......SHE WAS A TRUE CHRISTIAN. She would give to strangers even if she had not enough of money or food for herself. Again...don't group people into one lump sum.

I'm not sure about polygamy, but in Brazil you can't have more than one wife/husband.

Hello Grace,

But you can have more than 1 girlfriend/boyfriend secretively! That is actually a man made law in Brazil, because the Bible does not have limits on how many wives you can marry. Islam limits this to 4.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salaam sister Amirah,

I hope my post finds you in the best of health and iman.

You said that Christianity shouldn't be blamed for the evil actions of it's people. I will respectfully disagree with you on this matter.

Christianity is solely based on faith & not deeds (i.e. original sin). This is one of the core teachings of the Bible. Faith, faith, faith. Please see:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=212943&postcount=6

So the next question should be - are Christians "practicing" their religion? Yes - it's the religion and the belief system incorporated in it that has made the average Christian commit great sins - they are "practicing" what they are taught, but what they are "practicing" might not right according to the Quran & by the "common" nature of man of what is right and wrong.

So to me a "practicing" Christian is one that does drink, smoke, gamble, sin, sin, sin. As for Muslims committing evil acts then I say they aren't "practicing" Islam properly, because these acts are clearly forbidden in Islam.

I do not disregard the Bible in complete, because there are verses in there that are consistent with the Quran - which I agrroee. Where verses contradict the Quran, then I disagree. Where there are verses in the Bible that is not in the Quran, I tend to stay neutral.

Salam Humblewun

I read that and they do say have faith I remember that. And they do have alot of things wrong in that religion but I still do not agree the say go out and get a boyfriend/go get a girlfriend, etc.... If we were referring to other things ok I will go with that but not by the characteristics that we first discussed because I was a christain at one point. But I do agree the religion blind because they obviously do not see the truth Islam. And as much as I disagree with Christanity I will not say they are teaching this things but more so society constituting this things are ok.

Salam Sister Amirah80

HumbleWun.....my great grandmother was the most devout Christian I have ever known....she never drank, swore, smoked, gambled or otherwise. She never even so much as CUT HER HAIR to that her hair would be sure to cover her head and if she let it down would cover her whole body. She were "bonnets", like from Little house on the Prairie when attending church. She was married to one man until he died and she NEVER dated nor married any other. They married at 17. He was her one and only. She never ate pork either......SHE WAS A TRUE CHRISTIAN. She would give to strangers even if she had not enough of money or food for herself. Again...don't group people into one lump sum.

Salaam,

May Allah bless her and grant her paradise. I do not know what is in the heart of your grandmother, those who worship God and God alone, Allah is swift in account with their deeds. But associating partners with Allah swt is a unforgiving sin (as stated in the Quran) unless they've repented on that belief and started worshiping God alone.

Please don't think I'm generalizing Christians. I am not blaming them. It's the beliefs (i.e the Bible) that has made them the products of their environment.

And Allah Knows Best

dianek

Salaam,

May Allah bless her and grant her paradise. I do not know what is in the heart of your grandmother, those who worship God and God alone, Allah is swift in account with their deeds. But associating partners with Allah swt is unforgiving sin (as stated in the Quran) unless they've repented on that belief and started worshiping God alone.

And Allah Knows Best

That was not my point....my point being that she was Christian and NOT guilty of doing the things you claim ALL Christians do........

God forgives whom he will......I have FAITH she will be in Heaven...

sandra canada

Laa ilaha illa Allah
That was not my point....my point being that she was Christian and NOT guilty of doing the things you claim ALL Christians do........
DEAR DIANEK
ALL what i wrote from the bible not from my "own imagination" i am really feel sorry for u
that all from the bible .......................

But why is the truth so hard to take?

:shymuslima1:

I Ask god forgave us and your grandmother "No one can know where she is now even the dead muslims god only he knows that "
Allah said

chapter 3:19

[ان الدين عند الله الاسلام وما اختلف الذين اوتوا الكتاب الا من بعد ما جاءهم العلم بغيا بينهم ومن يكفر بايات الله فان الله سريع الحساب

Lo! religion with Allah (is) the Surrender (to His Will and Guidance). Those who (formerly) received the Scripture differed only after knowledge came unto them, through transgression among themselves. Whoso disbelieveth the revelations of Allah (will find that) lo! Allah is swift at

chapter 4:48
[ان الله لا يغفر ان يشرك به ويغفر ما دون ذلك لمن يشاء ومن يشرك بالله فقد افترى اثما عظيما
Lo! Allah forgiveth not that a partner should be ascribed unto Him. He forgiveth (all) save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribeth partners to Allah, he hath indeed invented a tremendous sin

chapter 4:116

ان الله لا يغفر ان يشرك به ويغفر ما دون ذلك لمن يشاء ومن يشرك بالله فقد ضل ضلالا بعيدا

Lo! Allah pardoneth not that partners should be ascribed unto Him. He pardoneth all save that to whom He will. Whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah hath wandered far astray.

[لقد كفر الذين قالوا ان الله هو المسيح ابن مريم وقال المسيح يا بني اسرائيل اعبدوا الله ربي وربكم انه من يشرك بالله فقد حرم الله عليه الجنة وماواه النار وما للظالمين من انصار

chapter 5:72

They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary. The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers.

لقد كفر الذين قالوا ان الله هو المسيح ابن مريم قل فمن يملك من الله شيئا ان اراد ان يهلك المسيح ابن مريم وامه ومن في الارض جميعا ولله ملك السماوات والارض وما بينهما يخلق ما يشاء والله على كل شيء قدير
chapter 5:17
They indeed have disbelieved who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary. Say: Who then can do aught against Allah, if He had willed to destroy the Messiah son of Mary, and his mother and everyone on earth? Allah's is the Sovereignty of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them. He createth what He will. And Allah is Able to do all things.
DO u know that jesus himself he didnt say i am the god worship me? all churchs and priest they unable to answer this following questions?

Where in the bible did Jesus claim to be god?
Where in the bible did Jesus ask to be worshipped?
Where did Jesus say I am God Manifested in flesh?
Where did Jesus mention the original sin?
Where did Jesus say I am the God the Son?
Where did Jesus say that I am God the Word?
Where did Jesus say I am the Second God in Trinity?

jesus to whome sent? jesus to whome sent?

Jesus himself said that he was sent only to the people of Israel (Matthew 15:24): "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel." Also (Matthew 1:21): "And she shall bring forth a son and thou shalt call his name Jesus; for he shall save his people from their sins." He even said that he came not to make changes but to fulfill (Matthew 5:17-18): "Think not that I am come to destroy the law or the prophets. I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you: 'Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law till all be fulfilled."'

according to Mark 16:15 Jesus said, "Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."

This contradicts what is mentioned above in Matthew 15:24 and Matthew 1:21. Secondly, Mark 16:9-20 has been expunged in many Bibles. The New American Standard Bible has put this part in brackets and made the following commentary: "Some of the oldest mss. omit from verse 9 through 20." The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures used by the Jehovah's Witnesses admits that certain ancient manuscripts add a long conclusion or a short conclusion after Mark 16:8 but that some omit those verses. And The Revised Standard version prints the following footnote: "Some of the most ancient authorities bring the book to a close at the end of verse 8 ..." This means that the resurrection is not true, as it is described in Mark 16:9.

when Jesus said in Matthew 28:19: "Go ye therefore and teach all nations ..."

"All nations" must be explained as the twelve tribes of Israel, otherwise it contradicts Matthew 15:24 and Matthew 1:21. In The New American Standard Bible and The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures, it is not translated as "all nations" but as "all the nations," which means the twelve tribes of Israel. What do you think of the Bible now?

اللهم انى بلغت اللهم فأشهد

best regards for All and MAY ALLAH GUIDE ALL TO THE RIGHT PATH
AND ENTER ALL WHO WRITE COMMENT HEAVEN :hearts:Ameen

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Let us once again be careful not to become ignorant scholars. Only Allah subhana talla can have the right to Judge.
As for polygamy it has always existed and will continue to exist. We are fortuante in Islam as we are given the Laws of Allah subhana talla to follow.
Diane, we do need to stop critizing the Christians. We need to become more reflective of own value system and our individual deen. We are a different weave of cloth. Let us make sure we remain pure to our souls.