Can you beat your wife...

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam Alaikum

Alot of people have misconceived what the ayah that speaks about discipling the wife really means. This information posted will give you a clear understanding of how this should be understood Inshallah. No way brutally beating your wife acceptable or causing her harm.
In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

The verse you mentioned has been greatly misconceived by many people who focus merely on its surface meaning, taking it to allow wife beating. When the setting is not taken into account, it isolates the words in a way that distorts or falsifies the original meaning. Before dealing with the issue of wife-battering in the perspective of Islam, we should keep in mind that the original Arabic wording of the Holy Quran is the only authentic source of meaning. If one relies on the translation alone, one is likely to misunderstand it.

Commenting on this issue, Dr. Muzammil H. Siddiqi, former President of the Islamic Society of North America, states:

"According to Quran the relationship between the husband and wife should be based on mutual love and kindness. Allah says: "And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquility with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect." (Quran: Ar-Rum 21) The Holy Quran urges husbands to treat their wives with kindness. (In the event of a family dispute, Quran exhorts the husband to treat his wife kindly and not to overlook her positive aspects). Allah Almighty says: “Live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and Allah brings about through it a great deal of good.” (Quran: An-Nisaa 19)
It is important that a wife recognizes the authority of her husband in the house. He is the head of the household, and she is supposed to listen to him. But the husband should also use his authority with respect and kindness towards his wife. If there arises any disagreement or dispute among them, then it should be resolved in a peaceful manner. Spouses should seek the counsel of their elders and other respectable family members and friends to batch up the rift and solve the differences. However, in some cases a husband may use some light disciplinary action in order to correct the moral infraction of his wife, but this is only applicable in extreme cases and it should be resorted to if one is sure it would improve the situation. However, if there is a fear that it might worsen the relationship or may wreak havoc on him or the family, then he should avoid it completely.

Quran is very clear on this issue. Almighty Allah says: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore, the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband's absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is acquainted with all things." (Quran: An-Nisaa 34-35)
It is important to read the section fully. One should not take part of the verse and use it to justify one's own misconduct. This verse neither permits violence nor condones it. It guides us to ways to handle delicate family situation with care and wisdom. The word "beating" is used in the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse". The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) explained it "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". He further said that face must be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak, or toothbrush.
Generally, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to discourage his followers from taking even this measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?” (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8, Hadith 68, pp. 42-43) It is also important to note that even this "light strike" mentioned in the verse is not to be used to correct some minor problem, but it is permissible to resort to only in a situation of some serious moral misconduct when admonishing the wife fails, and avoiding from sleeping with her would not help. If this disciplinary action can correct a situation and save the marriage, then one should use it."

Dr. Jamal Badawi, professor at Saint Mary's University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, and a cross-appointed faculty member in the Departments of Religious Studies and Management, adds:

"If the problem relates to the wife's behavior, the husband may exhort her and appeal for reason. In most cases, this measure is likely to be sufficient. In cases where the problem persists, the husband may express his displeasure in another peaceful manner, by sleeping in a separate bed from hers. There are cases, however, in which a wife persists in bad habits and showing contempt of her husband and disregard for her marital obligations. Instead of divorce, the husband may resort to another measure that may save the marriage, at least in some cases. Such a measure is more accurately described as a gentle tap on the body, but never on the face, making it more of a symbolic measure than a punitive one.

Even here, that maximum measure is limited by the following:

a. It must be seen as a rare exception to the repeated exhortation of mutual respect, kindness and good treatment. Based on Quran and Hadith, this measure may be used in the cases of lewdness on the part of the wife or extreme refraction and rejection of the husband's reasonable requests on a consistent basis (nushuz). Even then, other measures, such as exhortation, should be tried first.

b. As defined by Hadith, it is not permissible to strike anyone's face, cause any bodily harm or even be harsh. What the Hadith qualifies as "dharban ghayra mubarrih", or light striking, was interpreted by early jurists as a (symbolic) use of siwak! They further qualified permissible "striking" as that which leaves no mark on the body.

c. The permissibility of such symbolic expression of the seriousness of continued refraction does not imply its desirability. In several Hadiths, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) discouraged this measure. Here are some of his sayings in this regard:

"Do not beat the female servants of Allah";

"Some (women) visited my family complaining about their husbands (beating them). These (husbands) are not the best of you."

In another Hadith the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) is reported to have said: “How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then he may embrace (sleep with) her?”

d. True following of the Sunnah is to follow the example of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) who never resorted to that measure, regardless of the circumstances.

e. Islamic teachings are universal in nature. They respond to the needs and circumstances of diverse times, cultures and circumstances. Some measures may work in some cases and cultures or with certain persons but may not be effective in others. By definition, a "permissible" act is neither required, encouraged or forbidden. In fact it may be to spell out the extent of permissibility, such as in the issue at hand, rather than leaving it unrestricted or unqualified, or ignoring it all together. In the absence of strict qualifiers, persons may interpret the matter in their own way, which can lead to excesses and real abuse.

f. Any excess, cruelty, family violence, or abuse committed by any "Muslim" can never be traced, honestly, to any revelatory text (Quran or Hadith). Such excesses and violations are to be blamed on the person (s) himself, as it shows that they are paying lip service to Islamic teachings and injunctions and failing to follow the true Sunnah of the Prophet (p.b.u.h.)."

Allah Almighty knows best.

Source: www.muslimaccess.com

Wa laikum Salam:hijabi:
Amirah80

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:salam2:

Your not to beat them to cause harm and the text explains the concept. Now let me ask you something we are known Allah love patience, right? Now with that said when someone goes to extreme in misconduct they are disciplined, yeah? Let me ask something else people have children and love them, yes? People discipline there children by spanking them, yes. I do and I love my children more than anything. But, to abuse them is another story, right? When you love someone you want them to conduct theirselves accordingly if you do not care for that person you will left them act like a fool. Allah loves us but he will give us a punishment not because he doesnt love us but there are consequences for our actions.

Salam Amirah80

AdamMuslim

Salam,
there is a big difference between spanking his/her children and beating his wife.
The relationship between husband and wife is about respect.
I can not imagine how someone can respect his wife and beat her at the same time.
The prophet (PBUH) never did that.

Wassalam.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*

I'm not sure if you read the article but light disciplinary action after all other measures are implemented is permissable in Islam. Other measures are provided first inshallah not to even reach to that level.Not going to extremes is another thing. You are right Prophet (PBUH) never resulted to these measures, but by Allah it is permissable if neccessary but not to the conditions were it is causing harm. The wife relationship with the husband is a respectable one without a doubt so the wife should never get so out of hand were she is not respectable to herself or her husband then these measures would not have to be even taken into play. Of course I would not want a man to beat his wife for I am a woman. But I also know my rights over me and my rights over my husband that are constituted by Allah Ta'ala.

Salam
Sister Amirah80

AdamMuslim

I'm not sure if you read the article but light disciplinary action after all other measures are implemented is permissable in Islam. Other measures are provided first inshallah not to even reach to that level.Not going to extremes is another thing. You are right Prophet (PBUH) never resulted to these measures, but by Allah it is permissable if neccessary but not to the conditions were it is causing harm. The wife relationship with the husband is a respectable one without a doubt so the wife should never get so out of hand were she is not respectable to herself or her husband then these measures would not have to be even taken into play. Of course I would not want a man to beat his wife for I am a woman. But I also know my rights over me and my rights over my husband that are constituted by Allah Ta'ala.

Salam
Sister Amirah80

Salam sister,
Mashallah, your husband must be a very blessed muslim to have you as wife.

Wassalam,

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Salam sister,
Mashallah, your husband must be a very blessed muslim to have you as wife.

Wassalam,

LOL! Inshallah my husband knows but I try to keep peace so I never get to this point. :) For Allah Ta'la loves patience and if I remain that way inshallah Allah keeps peace in my home. Inshallah if your married that will be the same for you. But it does take work from both parties.

Salam
Amirah80
:hijabi:

abdellah007

Assalamoelaikoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Some people who say they are muslims are acting like boxers when they beat their wive. When the dinner/breakfast is not finished he starts shouting against his wive. Subhanallah, a muslim should not act like this. Our prophet Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him teaches us to be good to our wives. The best among us are those who are the best to their wives and our prophet said he is the best among us to his wives. You are like garments for them and they are like garments for you.

Watch this video is short insha Allah

[yt]DZOShXyq1cw[/yt]

Fi amanillah

Wassalam alaykoem warahmatullahi wbarakatuh,

Zaynab123

Subhana Allah!
jazak Allahu khayra

:ma: very nice jazak Allahu khayra for sharing:) may Allah increase ur knowledge, ameen:hearts:

wonnee3

Trying 2 plz ALLAH

Your not to beat them to cause harm and the text explains the concept. Now let me ask you something we are known Allah love patience, right? Now with that said when someone goes to extreme in misconduct they are disciplined, yeah? Let me ask something else people have children and love them, yes? People discipline there children by spanking them, yes. I do and I love my children more than anything. But, to abuse them is another story, right? When you love someone you want them to conduct theirselves accordingly if you do not care for that person you will left them act like a fool. Allah loves us but he will give us a punishment not because he doesnt love us but there are consequences for our actions.

Salam Amirah80
As Salaamu Alaikum Sister, u r rht 2 the point of she should not get 2 that point... BUT! some brts don't have a full understanding of Islamic rights over women... the 1 i c the most is the plural wives some brts have them on the state (welfare 4 those that don't know) and them live off that, that is not the way i have read it. the zawj is 2 support her from his earnings not from others tax dollars, as a male i c so many different attempts 2 slightly bend or misunderstand an ayat 4 personnal gain. Insha ALLAH may we all b 4given of or sins, Insha ALLAH may ALLAH grant us TRUE understand of this Glorious deen he has blessed us with.

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
As Salaamu Alaikum Sister, u r rht 2 the point of she should not get 2 that point... BUT! some brts don't have a full understanding of Islamic rights over women... the 1 i c the most is the plural wives some brts have them on the state (welfare 4 those that don't know) and them live off that, that is not the way i have read it. the zawj is 2 support her from his earnings not from others tax dollars, as a male i c so many different attempts 2 slightly bend or misunderstand an ayat 4 personnal gain. Insha ALLAH may we all b 4given of or sins, Insha ALLAH may ALLAH grant us TRUE understand of this Glorious deen he has blessed us with.

Salam Alaikum Brother

You are right in regards to the plural marriages men should not marry one with and then another wife if he does not have the financial means to afford to care for them. So having state funds does not constitute him having financial means. You have some people in all religions that try to customize the religion for their lifestyles but Inshallah these people developing a stronger Iman (faith) and try to strive to do what is best in Islam and what is pleasing to Allah.

Salam Amirah80

Illhamdula17

Free Falestine!!!
Salam alkum

:girl3:A wife shouldnt be displined by her husband. she should only be displined by her parents. A wife should repect and honor what a husband does for her. A man should never lay a hand on his wife.. Parents only should raise there daughter. no man should have the right to.. If you r a busive.
salam alkum SISTER

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
:girl3:A wife shouldnt be displined by her husband. she should only be displined by her parents. A wife should repect and honor what a husband does for her. A man should never lay a hand on his wife.. Parents only should raise there daughter. no man should have the right to.. If you r a busive.
salam alkum SISTER

Salam Sister I do not know if you read the post or watched the video all in its entirety. But, the conditions of this is reasonable not getting caught up in the word "beat" like most people do. Read the restrictions and you can see this is not harmful and the last resort after implementing other tactics. This is to only be used if necessary after all measures are exhausted. Now you said quote "no man should have the right to" I am unclear what that means! This is a condition set forth by Allah Ta'ala not the husband with certain restrictions going along with it. Allah Ta'ala is all knowing which we are not so he knows what is better for us when we dont. Clearly it is written as muslims you must believe in Allah's book which contains this information. Now it isnt mandatory that a husband do this but it is permissable. The Prophet (SAWS) never resulting to this measures. And if we practice or deen and follow the commands of Allah you would never reach this point. Because the preceding measures should lead you back on the straight path for whatever started to lead you astray.
And Allah Knows best.

Salam Sister
Amirah80
:hearts:

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
Many of us have heard stories of men treating their wives badly as if they were slaves of an oppressive master. Islam has forbidden such conduct, and the last command of the Prophet was, " ... Act kindly towards women." [Bukhari and Muslim]

We should be gentle to our wives, treat them nicely and respect them, particularly in front of the children. The Prophet said, "The most perfect of the believers in faith is he who is the most excellent of them in morals and the best of you are they who are best for their wives." [Tirmidhi]

We should not look for perfection in this universe; but accept what is best! There is no need to demand perfection from our wives while we are drowned in our own flaws. The Prophet said, "A believer must not hate a believing woman. If he dislikes any of her characteristics, he will be pleased with another one." [Reported by Muslim]

By: Ibraahim Ibn Saleh al-Mahmud

amirah80

*Fear Allah*
So what happens to the husband who is engaged in haram activities? What is his punishment?

Salam Alaikum I put what the women needs to do in red.

Fatwa 2083 IQ&A

Does a woman have the right to hit her husband if he mistreats her?

Assalamu Alaikum
I know that in Islam a husband is allowed to lightly tap his wife (never in the face) and only as a last resort if she is disobedient. Can you tell me whether this is also the case in the event of the husband being disobedient. I was told that she is not allowed to tap her husband because Islam practices gender inequality.
What is the truth? Please answer as soon as you can because I want to embrace Islam and my friends and some family members say that Islam discriminates against women when it comes to these issues.

Jazak Allah

Praise be to Allaah.

We would like to apologize for answering only one of your questions, due to the fact that our time is short. Now let us answer your question as follows:

If a father mistreats his son, does the son have the right to hit his father? Why not?

If a mother mistreats her daughter, does the daughter have the right to hit her mother? Why not?

If a teacher mistreats his student, does the student have the right to hit his teacher? Why not?

If a commander mistreats a soldier, does the soldier have the right to hit his commander? Why not?

The answer in all the above cases is: No, and the reason for this is clear. It is because the father’s position is higher than that of his son, the mother’s position is higher than that of her daughter, and the teacher’s position is higher than that of the student. Hence it is not appropriate for the people in the lower position to punish those whose position is higher. The same applies to husband and wife: the husband is in charge of his wife, and she has to obey him and not go out without his permission, otherwise the stability of the family will be destroyed. The family should have just one leader to steer its course, and that leader is the one who spends on the family and protects it. The husband is physically stronger and is more wise than the wife. We can easily understand if he disciplines his wife when she does something wrong, but we cannot imagine the wife hitting the husband if he is at fault. Would she hit someone who is physically stronger than she is? Would she hit her leader and protector? At the same time, the husband is not allowed to hit his wife for every little thing or as he wishes. If she is at fault or is rebellious, he should first warn and advise her. If that doesn’t work, then he should withhold conjugal relations and not speak to her, until she comes to her senses. If that doesn’t work, then he is allowed to hit her, but not in a painful fashion. This does not mean that her entire body is his to beat as he wishes – no, and a thousand times no! Islam does not allow him to hit her severely or leave bruises, or break her bones, or cause her to bleed, neither is he allowed to hit her on the face (as you pointed out in your question). The hitting that is allowed is within certain limits and is for the purpose of discipline, not for revenge or to vent one’s anger. If his wife responds and returns to obedience, he has no right to seek means of annoyance against her. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allaah has made one of them to excel the other, and because they spend (to support them) from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient (to Allaah and to their husbands), and guard in the husband’s absence what Allaah order them to guard (e.g., their chastity, their husband’s property, etc.). As to those women on whose part you fear ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly, if it is useful), but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance). Surely, Allaah is Ever Most High, M
ost Great.” [al-Nisaa’ 4:34]

If it is the husband who is mistreating his wife, that does not mean that she should remain oppressed or that her hands are tied. She has the right – just as the husband has – to warn and advise him, and to remind him to fear Allaah. If that does not work, she can seek the help of wise people among his relatives and her own, and they can advise him. If this does not work, then the matter can be taken to a qaadi (Muslim judge) who can force him to do the right thing – and Allaah is above them all.
When Islam differentiates between the sexes, it is in the interests of both, and this is the essence of wisdom. Unlike a man, a woman does not have to pray and fast when she has her period, out of consideration for her condition.

She does not have to spend on her husband, because he is stronger and more able to earn a living. In return, she has to obey him and ask his permission before leaving the house; the reverse does not apply. In the event of a separation, it is the mother, and not the father, who has the right to custody of the children. And there are other rulings which are based on an acknowledgment of the differences between the sexes. Can we then say that this is oppression or unfair discrimination? No, by Allaah, this is justice and wisdom, revealed by the Wise, All-Aware, All-Knowing, All-Seeing.

We hope that this explanation will make the true picture clearer for you. Put aside the doubts and confusions of those who are ignorant and hate this religion, and enter Islam in which there is justice, safety, security and happiness. Peace be upon those who follow true guidance.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid