Muslims Living in a Kaffir Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem9022

Question:

have been advised by several muslims who are knowledgable in islam against living in a kaffir country (America). I am an American/Arab who has lived in America all my life but for a few months now was living in arabic country , however things are getting hard for me to continue living here (lack of income, housing etc) and am considering going back to America, also another strong reason is that the Health care system is better and free for my wife who is ill. Please give me as much a detailed answer from the hadith and quran as you can as I don't know for sure if I should strive to continue living here or go back to America regarding Islam.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The basic principle is that it is haraam to settle among the mushrikeen and in their land. If Allaah makes it easy for a person to move from such a country to a Muslim country, then he should not prefer that which is inferior [i.e., living in a non-Muslim country] to that which is better [living in a Muslim country] unless he has an excuse which permits him to go back.

We advise you, as others have, not to go and live in a kaafir country, unless you are forced to go there temporarily, such as seeking medical treatment that is not readily available in a Muslim country.
Note that whoever gives up a thing for the sake of Allaah, Allaah will compensate him with something better, and that with hardship comes ease, and that whosoever fears Allaah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty), and He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. You should also note that preserving one’s capital is better than taking a risk in the hope of making a profit; the Muslim’s capital is his religion, and he should not risk it for the sake of some transient worldly gain.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) issued a detailed fatwa concerning the issue of settling in a kaafir country, which we will quote here.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said:

Settling in a kaafir country poses a great danger to the Muslim’s religious commitment, morals, behaviour and etiquette. We and others have seen how many of those who settled there went astray and came back different from when they went; they have come back as evildoers, and some have come back having apostatized from their religion and disbelieving in it and in all other religions – we seek refuge with Allaah – denying it completely and mocking the religion and its people, past and present. Hence we must take measures to guard against that and stipulate conditions which will prevent people from following this path which leads to doom and destruction.
There are two basic conditions which must be met before staying in kaafir countries:

The first condition is: that the person must be secure in his religious commitment, so that he has enough knowledge, faith and will power to ensure that he will adhere firmly to his religion and beware of deviating or going astray, and that he has an attitude of enmity and hatred of the kaafirs and will not befriend them and love them, for befriending them and loving them are things that contradicts faith. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“You (O Muhammad) will not find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred (people)”

[al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

And He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa’ (friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa’ of each other. And if any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa’), then surely, he is one of them. Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers and unjust).

And you see those in whose hearts there is a disease (of hypocrisy), they hurry to their friendship, saying: ‘We fear lest some misfortune of a disaster may befall us.’ Perhaps Allaah may bring a victory or a decision according to His Will. Then they will become regretful for what they have been keeping as a secret in themselves”

[al-Maa’idah 5:51, 52]

And it was narrated in al-Saheeh that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever loves a people is one of them” and that “A man will be with the one whom he loves.”

Loving the enemies of Allaah is one of the most serious dangers for the Muslim, because loving them implies that one agrees with them and follows them, or at the very least that one does not denounce them, hence the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever loves a people is one of them.”
The second condition is that he should be able to practise his religion openly, so that he can observe the rituals of Islam with no impediment. So he will not be prevented from establishing regular prayer, and praying Jumu’ah and offering prayers in congregation if there are others there with whom he can pray in congregation and pray Jumu’ah; and he will not be prevented from paying zakaah, fasting, performing Hajj and doing other rituals of Islam. If he will not be able to do that then it is not permissible to stay there because it becomes obligatory to migrate (hijrah) in that case.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen said – explaining the categories of people who settle in non-Muslim lands:

The fourth category includes those who stay for an individual, permissible need, such as doing business or receiving medical treatment. It is permissible for them to stay as long as they need to. The scholars (may Allaah have mercy on them) have stated that it is permissible to go to kaafir countries in order to do business, and they narrated that some of the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) had done that.

The Shaykh said – at the end of the fatwa:

How can the believer be content to live in the land of the kuffaar where the rituals of kufr are proclaimed openly and rule belongs to someone other than Allaah and His Messenger, seeing that with his own eyes, hearing that with his own ears and approving of it, and even starting to feel that he belongs there and living there with his wife and children, and feeling as comfortable there as he does in the Muslim lands, even though he and his wife and children are in such great danger and their religious commitment and morals are in such peril?
Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthyameen, Fatwa no. 388.

See also the answer to question no. 14235 and 3225.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/27211

Mumin01

actually its not haram to live in a non muslim country so long as you are able to fully practice your deen

this answer is over looking several things, there would be no dawah what so ever in the west if muslims went back to their respective countries

Muslims arent required to live in muslim countries so dont take this article seriously

gladtobeamuslim

I was born in America and i still live here
i dont think its haraam living in a non-muslim countrry as long as u can still practice Islam

Salem9022

actually its not haram to live in a non muslim country so long as you are able to fully practice your deen

this answer is over looking several things, there would be no dawah what so ever in the west if muslims went back to their respective countries

Muslims arent required to live in muslim countries so dont take this article seriously

it is not the responsibilty of you to do dawah especially the Ignorant who know noting about Islam this is only an excuse that you are making for yourself it's the responsibilty of the Scholars and Knowledgable People to call people to Islam, and the Answer is from Scholars, from Shiekh Utaymeen etc.

You Said Muslims are not requireed to live in a Muslim country so don't take this seriously? what are you talking about? So Muslims shoud rather live in a Kaffir country and Love their Systems of Rule and their society over the Muslims rule and system of Law and society?

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever loves a people is one of them.”

For you to speak of this issue the way you did shows how Ignorant you are of the Issue and only making excuses for yourself. And this is not an Article its a Fatawah

Salem9022

I was born in America and i still live here
i dont think its haraam living in a non-muslim countrry as long as u can still practice Islam

It's fine if you were born in America but it is Makrooh(disliked) for a person in your situation to live in a Kaffir country because the society can effect you, and the scholars have said if a person in your situtation were to find a way to Leave the Kaffir country to a Muslim country then he should do so.

Also understand that there are muslims who are born in muslim countries and leave their countries to live in America which is even more of a sin.

Living in a Kaffir country there are conditions, like for study to acquire a skill which you can take back to a Muslim lands to benefit the Muslims there, for Medical reason to provide Medical treatment not provided in Muslim countries for Life of a Muslim, and also if you are a Refugee and you have no where else to go to protect yourself you can live in a Kaffir country to protect yourself.

But why would anyone want to live in a Kaffir country for the rest of their life where you pay your taxes to their government which Invades Muslim countries? Have Television channels which insult Islam and Muslims and Allah and Quran Openly which talks about "Islamic Terrorists". It Can lead to muslims Leaving their religion Also they show women half naked on TV which direclty effects the Muslim. Also Helping them in their Economy while their Own country is Lacking the Needs.

Take the example of where I am from. Pakistan, there are so many doctors and engineers and professionals which graduate every year in Pakistan, 80% of them leave within 2 years to live in a kaffir country. And so they Brain Drain the country and they go help a Kaffir countries economy which doesn't even like Muslims or Islam and talk openly against Muslims and Invite the Enemies of Islam to their Nations. Wouldn't it be better if they stayed in their country and helped the economy and Infastructure of their own nation so they can help Improve the country instead? Then Muslims ask why Muslim countries are So Behind. The same way why African countries are behind because they don't have the Intention of staying in their country they want to go to Europe and help their economy instead. This is the fact. And Allah Knows Best.

Wa 3laikum As-Salaam Wa Ra7matullahi Wa Barakatu

Oem Soufiane

it is not the responsibilty of you to do dawah especially the Ignorant who know noting about Islam this is only an excuse that you are making for yourself it's the responsibilty of the Scholars and Knowledgable People to call people to Islam, and the Answer is from Scholars, from Shiekh Utaymeen etc.

You Said Muslims are not requireed to live in a Muslim country so don't take this seriously? what are you talking about? So Muslims shoud rather live in a Kaffir country and Love their Systems of Rule and their society over the Muslims rule and system of Law and society?

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whoever loves a people is one of them.”

For you to speak of this issue the way you did shows how Ignorant you are of the Issue and only making excuses for yourself. And this is not an Article its a Fatawah

Subhanallah, you are taking the words out of my mouth.

palestine

Servant of Allah
It's fine if you were born in America but it is Makrooh(disliked) for a person in your situation to live in a Kaffir country because the society can effect you, and the scholars have said if a person in your situtation were to find a way to Leave the Kaffir country to a Muslim country then he should do so.

Also understand that there are muslims who are born in muslim countries and leave their countries to live in America which is even more of a sin.

Living in a Kaffir country there are conditions, like for study to acquire a skill which you can take back to a Muslim lands to benefit the Muslims there, for Medical reason to provide Medical treatment not provided in Muslim countries for Life of a Muslim, and also if you are a Refugee and you have no where else to go to protect yourself you can live in a Kaffir country to protect yourself.

But why would anyone want to live in a Kaffir country for the rest of their life where you pay your taxes to their government which Invades Muslim countries? Have Television channels which insult Islam and Muslims and Allah and Quran Openly which talks about "Islamic Terrorists". It Can lead to muslims Leaving their religion Also they show women half naked on TV which direclty effects the Muslim. Also Helping them in their Economy while their Own country is Lacking the Needs.

Take the example of where I am from. Pakistan, there are so many doctors and engineers and professionals which graduate every year in Pakistan, 80% of them leave within 2 years to live in a kaffir country. And so they Brain Drain the country and they go help a Kaffir countries economy which doesn't even like Muslims or Islam and talk openly against Muslims and Invite the Enemies of Islam to their Nations. Wouldn't it be better if they stayed in their country and helped the economy and Infastructure of their own nation so they can help Improve the country instead? Then Muslims ask why Muslim countries are So Behind. The same way why African countries are behind because they don't have the Intention of staying in their country they want to go to Europe and help their economy instead. This is the fact. And Allah Knows Best.

Wa 3laikum As-Salaam Wa Ra7matullahi Wa Barakatu

i agree with you 100%. my country is somalia and the somalis need to go back to help and that's what many are doing now. salam. just wanted to let you know this is exactly how i feel. salam.

Layla9486

i am not arab i am english and live in england have done all my life i am new to islam and ever since i have started reading the quran have loved it i am from a kaffir country as you call it so what does that make me am i not meant to be muslim if i am from there what does that say to other muslims as well from other countries?

abdellah007

Assalam alaykum wa rahmatu ellah wabarakatuh

Brothers and sisters, this topic has been discussed here before, and we had many different opinions.

I do respect the Fatwa that says moving to non muslims country is not allowed for sake of maintening and preserving the muslim belief. so that sounds fine to me.

What seperate muslim countries from non muslim ones is Mosques everywhere and living among 'some' good muslims.

but, is there really a real muslim country where sharia is taking place also justice and democracy . there is horrible things happening in muslim countries that may not support those who are living among kuffars coming back to them. many have the idea of coming back to their motherland and help them with their knowledge in different subjects... but the reality is different on the ground.
I couldnt seperate some muslims cities from the kuffar ones, that s the reality i am seeing where i am living now.

for converts,it s clear, it will not be easy to leave their homelands for many reasons that everyone knows. but elhamdolilah we still find some who go through this. and may allah make it easy for them.

the question we need to ask : there are many disadvantages living in a non muslim country, but is there a real muslim country where islam takes place?

wa salam

Salem9022

i am not arab i am english and live in england have done all my life i am new to islam and ever since i have started reading the quran have loved it i am from a kaffir country as you call it so what does that make me am i not meant to be muslim if i am from there what does that say to other muslims as well from other countries?

There is noting wrong with you being born in England or any other Kaffir society, and generally the discussion was towards Muslims who are born in Muslim countries and migrated to a non-muslim countries not those born in non-muslim countries. It is Makrooh(disliked) for those muslims who were born in Non-Muslim societies and stayed there for rest of their lives. and If they find it hard to practise the deen then it becomes a must to make Hijrah.

And Al7umullilah you found Islam, welcome to Islam, also I'm not an arab either. :)

Salem9022

Assalam alaykum wa rahmatu ellah wabarakatuh

Brothers and sisters, this topic has been discussed here before, and we had many different opinions.

I do respect the Fatwa that says moving to non muslims country is not allowed for sake of maintening and preserving the muslim belief. so that sounds fine to me.

What seperate muslim countries from non muslim ones is Mosques everywhere and living among 'some' good muslims.

but, is there really a real muslim country where sharia is taking place also justice and democracy . there is horrible things happening in muslim countries that may not support those who are living among kuffars coming back to them. many have the idea of coming back to their motherland and help them with their knowledge in different subjects... but the reality is different on the ground.
I couldnt seperate some muslims cities from the kuffar ones, that s the reality i am seeing where i am living now.

for converts,it s clear, it will not be easy to leave their homelands for many reasons that everyone knows. but elhamdolilah we still find some who go through this. and may allah make it easy for them.

the question we need to ask : there are many disadvantages living in a non muslim country, but is there a real muslim country where islam takes place?

wa salam

abdellah this is an excuse you are making, there are many muslim countries where "islam takes place" like Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Jordan, Egypt, Malaysia, etc. Yes they have Problems and they arn't Perfect just like how Muslims themselves arn't Perfect. But it is still better then any Kaffir society where they have Open Gays and Lesbians, Sexual Desires displayed openly, and Countries which Openly delcare war on Muslims and Islam.

Also Justice and Democrasy are Oximoron of each other, how you can take the vote of the Majority while the Miniority have no say on things even if the Minority maybe right?.

We muslims do not believe in Democrasy, we have something better then Democrasy the Shurah, Where we rule by the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Prophet.

hmmm i have also pointed this out ....:)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26461&highlight=care+bout
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30444&highlight=living+kaffir+country

but then if people want to do ikhtilaf then its their choice but the fatwa has been given according to sunnah....some people mite have problem but they must try their best to migrate some place else so that they wouldnt need to help the kuffars cause they actually fund their armys by paying taxes

Mumin01

1) You are saying that dawah is the sole responsibility of scholars? HOw many muslims converted to islam from their friends teaching them about the religion? Is there conversion invalid because the person wasnt enlightened through a scholar? so basically every muslim should just get out of their islamic centers, their mosques, their communites centers and head for their respective muslim countires? Where would the islam go then? What would happen to islam in the west? So in consequence we are supposed to make dawah from a continent away?

2.) I was wrong to have said that one shouldnt take this seriously, but i still hold me opinion that muslims are not required to move to a different country. And how do you yourself know that muslims love the laws here? Laws are meant to keep order and stability, even if they are non muslim laws, that doesnt mean we love them because we abide by them

Yes the Prophet PBUH did say that but how is that relevant here?

3.) i am not making excuses for myself to stay i just enojy where i live, and in case you hadnt notice brother, almost every muslim country has secular laws. from Syria, Pakistan, Jordan, Egypt ect. all of them have secular laws and all of them have the ridiculous filth and immorality that any country has so theres no country practicing Islam strictly. Outside my cousins house in syria there was a man selling alcohol in his store. Syria is still a muslim country, but just cause it has that title doesnt make it muslim in the slightest

im not here to argue, im just here to try and not let things like " all muslims have to leave kaffir countries" spread like wildfire

http://www.halaltube.com/yasir-qadhi/muslims-in-the-west-where-are-we-going

Salem9022

hmmm i have also pointed this out ....:)

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26461&highlight=care+bout
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30444&highlight=living+kaffir+country

but then if people want to do ikhtilaf then its their choice but the fatwa has been given according to sunnah....some people mite have problem but they must try their best to migrate some place else so that they wouldnt need to help the kuffars cause they actually fund their armys by paying taxes

I second that:hearts:

Also Mumin01:

This is a Fatawah from the Shiekh, so you either take it or leave it. I'm not going take your opinion or my opinion because Islam is not about taking average peoples opinion.

1. Dawah is to be done by Scholars or Knowledgable people those who know about the right aqeedah. How many muslims actually learned The whole Qur'an? Not only memorized but Studied the meanings of it and studied about it?Very Little compared to the Muslim population. You are right that there are people who became muslims because of their friends, and there are also muslims also who became Kuffar and left the religion of Islam because they started to act like their non-muslim friends and soon started to have non-muslim boyfriends and non-muslim girlfriends imitating them and their habits, this works both ways, and most of time it is the muslim who suffers from this.

2. Like I said this is not my opinion or your opinion. How do I know muslims love the laws and systems here? lol Let me tell you something akhi. there was an Islamic center here next to where I live, and they had some confrontation with another Islamic center, so both of these centers started to talk against each other and what happened was that one of them took the other to court. So The Islamic center was suing the other Islamic center. And the case went on for weeks, and so the Jewish Judge was tired from this case and he asked the muslims "isn't there a system in your religion which can resolve this?" and they, both of the Islamic centers answered "Yes, we have a shura council here which we have established amoung ourselves" so the Jewish Judge said okay," what ever they say I will implement their discision". so the Moral is what? that Even Being an Islamic center they would rather go to a Kaffir court system then go and resolve this in the ruling of what Allah has revieled. This is how they love the Laws of the Kuffar more then the Laws of Allah because they would rather go to court then the Shura council to resolve their difference. and You see so many muslims who would go to the courts in the West.

3. Secular Laws in Muslim countries? There are Islamic Laws in those countries even though many of them have been poisend by the influence of the non-muslim countries and secularism/markxism/socialism etc.. It is still better. And you can't say that because there are people in your country which sells alchohol it authomatically non-muslim or "dirty" or not better then a non-muslim country. Do You know that 65-80% of the People who sell Alchohol and Ciggaretts in America are Muslims? Just go to your local 7-11 store or gas station and you will see a muslim selling it even though it is forbidden to even touch it. That is the kind of Job muslims do when they come here, 75% of the time.

Also yes there is filth and Immorallity but not the extent which is in non-muslim societies, It is like saying since there are muslims who sin in a muslim country it is okay for me to live in a non-muslim country where they sin more. It doesn't work like that. Yes Muslims and Muslims countries are not perfect but it is far better then any non-muslim society.

Bawar

Struggling2Surrender
Salem9022
it is not the responsibilty of you to do dawah especially the Ignorant who know noting about Islam

Astaghfirullah!
You should apologise to brother Mumin01 for calling him ignorant.

I would prefer to live in a Kafir country who don't hurt my feelings than live next to you who call even muslims kafir, as you have been doing all along.

Salem9022

Astaghfirullah!
You should apologise to brother Mumin01 for calling him ignorant.

I would prefer to live in a Kafir country who don't hurt my feelings than live next to you who call even muslims kafir, as you have been doing all along.

I never called him Ignorant based upon that but rather what the statement he said previously for another issue. I said it is not the responsiblity of you nor of people who are Ignorant of Deen but rather scholars and Knowelgable people.

Also which muslim did I call a Kaffir? you are saying things which I never said.

Status
Not open for further replies.