** Forty Eight Hadith Concerning Relief & DISTRESS**

OsMaN_93

Here to help
Forty Hadith for Relief of Worry Sadness and Grief

IN THE NAME OF ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL THE MOST GRACIOUS :bimillah:

Forty Eight Hadith Concerning Relief

For Sadness, Worry, Trials and Grief

Translated by Omar HH

1. It was narrated by Ibn Sina on the authority of Abi Qutada (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah, Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “whoever reads the verse of the Throne (ayat al-kursi) and the khawatam of Surat al-Baqara at the time of distress, Allah will help him.”

2. It was narrated by Imam Ahmad (may Allah be pleased with him) on the authority of ‘Abdullah ibn Ja‘far (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah , encouraged the saying of this supplication at the time of distress: "La illaha il Allah al-Haleem al-Kareem, Subhanallahi rabb al-‘Arsh al-‘Adheem wal Hamdulilahi Rabb al-‘Alameen (there is none worthy of worship except Allah, the Gentle and Generous. Glory is to Allah the Lord of the Great Throne, and all praises be to Allah the Lord of the Worlds.)"

3. It was narrated by Imam Ahmad (may Allah be pleased with him), Bukhari, and Muslim, on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Prophet Of Allah, r, encouraged the saying of this supplication at the time of distress: La illaha il Allah al-Haleem al-Kareem, La Illaha Il Allah Rabb al-‘Arsh al-‘Adheem, La Illaha il Allah Rabb al-Samawat al-Sabi‘ wa Rabb al-‘Arsh al-Kareem (there is none worthy of worship except Allah the Gentle and Generous. There is none worthy of worship except Allah the Lord of the Great Throne. There is none worthy of worship except Allah the Lord of the Seven Heavens and the Lord of the Generous Throne.)"

4. It is narrated by al-Khatib on the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) that if the Prophet Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) were concerned with a matter he would find the Prophet Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) praying, wiping his head with his right hand, and saying: "Bismillah al-ladhi la illaha ghayrahu al-rahman al-raheem, allahumma adhhab ‘anni al-hamm wal huzn. (In the name of Allah there is no god other than Him, the Merciful and Compassionate, O Allah take away worries and grief.)

5. It was narrated in Kitab al-Du‘a of Imam Tabarani on the authority of Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah enoble his countenance) , that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) ordered him to say at times of distress and hardship: "la illaha il Allah al-Haleem al-Kareem, Subhanahu wa ta‘ala, tabarak Allah rabb al-‘arsh al-‘adheem, wal Hamdulilahi rabb al-‘Alameen (there is none worthy of worship except Allah the Gentle and Generous, Glorious is he and Most High, Blessed be He the Lord of the Great Throne, and all praises be to the Lord of the Worlds.)"

6. Imam Tabarani also narrated on the authority of Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) taught him to say the following words at times of fear: "la illaha il allah al-haleem al-kareem, Subhan Allah wa tabarak Allah rabb al-‘Arsh al-‘Adheem, wal Hamdulilahi Rabb al-‘Alameen".

7. It was also narrated by Imam Tabarani, on the authority of Asma bin ‘Amis (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) gathered Bani ‘Abdul Mutallib and said to them, “When any of you experience any worry, depression, distress, sickness, pain or calamity then he should say; "Allah rabbi la ushrik bihi shay’in" (Allah is my Lord I do not associate any partners with him) three times. It was said that these were the last words of Umar ibn ‘Abdul ‘Aziz (may Allah be pleased with him) before his death.

8. It was narrated by Imam Tabarani on the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) gathered Bani Hashim and told them that when any of them experienced depression or worry that they should say seven times, "Allah Rabbi la Ushrik bihi Shay’in".

9. It is narrated by Ibn Abi Dunya on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Prophet Of Allah r, encouraged the reading of this supplication at the time of distress:" La Illaha il Allah al-Haleem al-Kareem. La illaha il Allah al-‘Alee al-‘Adheem. La Illaha il Allah Rabb al-Samawat al-Sab‘i wa Rabb al-‘Arsh al-‘Adheem". (There is none worthy of worship except Allah the Gentle, the Generous. There is none worthy of worship except Allah the Most High the Great. There is none worthy of worship except Allah the Lord of the Seven Heavens and the Lord of the Great Throne.)

10. It is narrated by al-Hakim on the authority of Sa‘d (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet of Allah r, said “Shall I not inform you of something, that if a distress or calamity falls upon you will be relieved by Allah? The supplication of Dhun Nun – "La Illaha illa Ant Subhanaka inne Kunta min al-Dhalimeen." (There is none worthy of worship except You, Glory to you if that I were from the transgressors.)

11. It is narrated by Abu Na‘im on the authority of Shadad that the Prophet of Allah r, encouraged the saying of "Hasbi Allah wa Ni‘mal Wakeel"(Allah is my protector and what a great guardian) at the times of distress.

12. It was narrated in Kitab al-Du‘a of al-Tabarani on the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah, r, said “I do not forbid any of you, if the affairs of his living become difficult, to say if he leaves his house, "Bismillah ‘ala Nafsi wa Deeni wa Maali, Allahumma riddani bi qada’ik, wa barakli fi qadri, hatta la uhib u‘ajil ma akhirt, wa la tu’akhir ma ‘ajilt". (The name of Allah on my self, my religion, and my property. O Allah make me pleased with your divine decree, and bless my fate, until I do not love for you to make quick what you have destined to come to me slowly, and I do not love for you to make slow that which you have made come to me quickly).

13. It was narrated in Imam Dhahabi’s Tubb al-Nabawi on the authority of Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that if one has found himself increased in worries then he should increase in the reading of "la hawla wa la quwattah illa billahil ‘alee al-‘adheem" (there is no power nor strength except with Allah the Most High the Great.)

14. It was narrated in Imam Dhahabi’s Tubb al-Nabawi that when the Prophet Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was worried he would raise his head and say "Subhanallah al-‘Adheem" (Glory to Allah the Great).

15. It was narrated on the authority of ‘Abdullah ibn Mas‘ud (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “No Muslim is touched by any worry, or sadness, and says: "Allahumma inne ‘abduka, wa ibnu ‘abduk, wa ibnu amatik, nasiyati bi yaddik, madin fi hukmak, ‘adlun fi qada’uk, asaluka bi kulli ismun huwa laka, samayta bihi nafsik, aw anzalatu fi kitabik, aw ‘alamtahu ahadan min khalqik, aw istatharta bihi fil ‘ilm al-ghaybi ‘indak, an taj‘al al-qur’an al-‘adheem rabi‘a qalbi, wa nura sadri, wa jala’a huzni, wa dhahaba hammi." (O Allah, I am your bondservant, son of your bondsman, and son of your bondswoman. My forelock is in Your Hands; Your judgment is continuously being carried out upon me; Your sentence upon me is just. I ask You with every name that is Yours, with which You have named Yourself, brought down in Your book, taught to one of Your creation, or have preferred for Yourself in the hidden knowledge, with You: that You make the Qur’an the spring of my heart, and the light of my chest, and the dispelling of my sadness, and deportation of my concern) except that Allah dispels his worry and replaces his sadness with relief.

16. On the authority of al-Dahhak (may Allah be pleased with him): "Kunta wa takoon, hayyun la yamoot, tanam al-‘ayun, wa tankadar al-nujoom, wa anta hayyun qayyum, la ta’khidhuka sinatun wa la nawm, ya hayyu ya qayyum." (You are and you will be, Living you do not die! Eyes sleep, and stars appear, and you are Living and Sustaining, Sleep nor Slumber overtake you, O Living, O Sustaining)

17. On the authority of Ubai bin Ka’ab (may Allah be pleased with him), who said; ‘I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, I supplicate often, so how much of my supplication should I devote to you?’ He replied, ‘as you desire’. I said, ‘a quarter of it?’ He said ‘as you desire, but if you were to increase upon this, it would be better for you.’ I said, ‘half of it?’ He said, ‘as you desire, but if you were to increase upon this, it would be better for you.’ I said, ‘two-thirds of it?’ He said again, ‘as you desire, but if you were to increase upon this, it would be better for you.’ Finally I said, ‘and if I dedicate my supplication in its entirety to you?’ He said, ‘then your worries will be fulfilled, and your sins forgiven.’

18. It has been narrated from Abu Sa‘id al-Khudri (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said, “The Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) visited a sick person and asked him, ‘What do you expect from Allah?’ The sick person said, ‘O Messenger of Allah, I expect good.’ He Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) then said, ‘Expect from Allah what you will, for indeed Allah Blessed and High [deals] with the believer as the believer expects Him to.’

19. On the authority of Ibn Mas‘ud (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ask Allah the Victorious and Majestic of his favors, for indeed Allah loves being asked, and the best of worship is waiting for relief from Allah Most High.

20. On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: waiting for relief from Allah Most High is worship.

21. On the authority of Muhammad ibn Ali, that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) taught Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) a supplication to supplicate from every worry, and Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) used to teach it to the people and it is: "ya kanatin qabl kulli shay’, ya makun kulli shay’, wa ya kanatin ba‘da kulli shay’, af‘al bi (then state your need)".

22. On the authority of Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah enoble his countenance) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: the best of actions of my ummah is waiting for relief from Allah the Victorious and Majestic.

23. Also on the authority of Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to Ali “So know that victory is with patience, and relief is with distress and that with hardship comes ease.”

24. On the authority of Sahl ibn Sa‘d al-Sa‘di (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him), “Shall I not teach you words which you can find relief through?” He said “yes, O Messenger of Allah.” “Preserve Allah so that he can preserve you, preserve Allah and find him in front of you, you will know Allah through hope, and he will know you through hardships, so if you ask, as from Allah, and if you ask help, ask help from Allah, the pen has written what has happened and what will happen, so if all of created struggled to benefit you with something they would not benefit you if Allah had not written it for you, Victorious is He and Majestic, you cannot have power over Him, so if you can do for Allah with truthfulness and certainty, so do, and if you cannot then indeed patience over what you dislike is very good, and know that victory is with patience, and relief is with distress, and that with hardship comes relief.”

25. On the authority of Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “indeed help is from Allah Victorious is He and Majestic, which is given to the slave by the strength of his ability, and indeed patience, is given by the strength of his hardships” and he added, “indeed relief is given by the strength of his hardships.”

26. On the authority of Musaylama ibn Mukhlad (may Allah be pleased with him) that he said, that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: whoever covers (the faults) a Muslim, Allah covers (his faults for) him in this world and the next and whoever lifts distress upon a distressed person, Allah lifts upon him distress from the distress of the Day of Reckoning, and whoever is there at the need of his brother, Allah is there at his need.

27. On the authority of Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: whoever covers (the faults of) his Muslim brother, Allah covers (the faults of) him on the Day of Reckoning, and whoever lifts from his Muslim brother a distress from the distress of the world, Allah lifts upon him a distress from the distresses of the Day of Reckoning, and indeed Allah is of the assistance of his slave, as much as he is in assistance of his brother.

28. On the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Whoever is there at the need of his Muslim brother, Allah will be there at the time of his need, and whoever gives relief to the distress of a Muslim, Allah relieves with it distress from the distresses of the Day of Reckoning, and whoever covers (the faults of) a Muslim, Allah covers (his faults) on the Day of Reckoning.

29. On the authority of Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) , that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Whoever increases in asking forgiveness, Allah will make relief from him from every worry, a way out from every hardship, and provision from where he does not even imagine.”

30. On the authority of Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Say;" la hawla wa la quwwatah illa billah "(there is neither power nor strength except with Allah), it is the cure for ninety nine illnesses, and it makes worries easy.”

31. On the authority of Sufyan ibn Sa‘id al-Thuri (may Allah be pleased with him), that he said “O Messenger of Allah, tell me something.” So he said, “O Sufyan, when you find your provision much then increase in asking Allah for forgiveness (istighfar), and when a matter you dislike comes upon you, then increase from saying there is no power nor strength except with Allah (la hawla wa la quwwatah illa billah), and if Allah gives you blessings then increase with praising Allah (al-Hamdulilah).

32. On the authority of Ibn Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Prophet Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “Three men from Bani Isra’il walked, when rain came down upon them they went to a cave, and so a rock blocked the cave, and so they said ‘so let us, each man from us, ask Allah from the best of our actions.’ So the first man said ‘O Allah I had a pretty cousin, and I desired her, and so I spent upon her one hundred dinars, and so when I sat with her in a meeting of man and woman, she said to me ‘fear Allah O cousin, do not consummate except with its right’, so I got off of her, and I left the one hundred dinars, O Allah you know that I did such an action fearing You, so reward me from You, so relieve us.’ So one third of the rock opened. The second man said, ‘O Allah you know that I had two mature and elder parents, who I used to visit in the mornings, evenings, and all times of day, and so I went to them one night, and I found them sleeping, and so I disliked waking them up, and I also disliked leaving them because I had to feed them, and so I stood there until they woke up and then I fed them, O Allah you know that I did such an action fearing You, so reward me from You, so relieve us.’ So the second third of the rock opened. The third man said: O Allah you know that I hired a worker, and so when I paid him his due, he said ‘I worked more than this!’ and so he did not take the pay, and he said, ‘between you and I there will be a day that the oppressed will take their due from the oppressors,’ and so he left, then I went and bought sheep for his due, and I raised them and fed them, and they increased and multiplied, and then after a period, he came to me and said to me ‘You still owe me my due, I did this and that in this and this time’ and so I said ‘take all of these sheep, they are for you’ and so he said ‘you ban me from my due and now you ridicule me?’ so then I replied ‘no take them, as they are yours!’ and so he took them and then started to make supplication for me. O Allah you know that I did such an action fearing You, so reward me from You, so relieve us.’ So the rock moved in totality. The men then left walking.”

33. On the authority of Ibrahim ibn Muhammad ibn Sa‘d (may Allah be pleased with him) on his father (may Allah be pleased with him) on his grandfather (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said “Shall I not inform you and tell you of something, when a distress or hardship from the world falls upon one of you men, and he supplicates with it, Allah will relieve him.” So they said, “yes” So the Prophet Allah (may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said, “the supplication of Dhun Nun, there is none worthy of worship except You, Glory to You that I be from the transgressors! (la illaha illa ant subhanaka inne kunta min al-dhalimeen).

34. The supplication for relief, and it was given by Abu Hamad Dawud ibn Nasir-li-Din-Allah, and his name is Ahmad ibn al-Hadi lil-Haq Yahya ibn al-Husayn ibn al-Qassim ibn Ibrahim al-Ma‘raq bi Tabatiba, ibn Isma‘il ibn Ibrahim ibn Hasan ibn al-Hasan ibn Ali ibn Abi Talib, and he said to me that his family had its roots in the Prophetic Household (may Allah enoble his countenance) , and it was narrated upon the Commander of the Believers Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah enoble his countenance) , and it was said that this came from the People of the Prophetic House (may Allah enoble his countenance) : "la illaha il Allah Haqqan Haqqan, La Illaha il Allah ta‘adan waraqin, la illaha il allah aymanin wa sidqan, ya munazil al-rahma min ma‘adiniha, wa minshi al-baraka min amakiniha, asalaka in tusalee ‘ala Muhammad ‘abduka wa nabiyyik, wa khiratika min khalqika wa safiyak, wa ‘ala aleehi masabih al-dujja, wa a’imatal huda, wa an tufarj ‘anni farajan ‘ajilan, wa tuneelani salahan, li jam‘i amri shamilan wa taf‘ala bi fi deeni wa dunya’a ma anta ahlu ya kashif al-karb ya ghafir al-dhanb, ya Allah, ya rabb".

35. It was narrated by Ayyub ibn ‘Abbas ibn al-Hasan the Wazir of Muktafi – that Ayyub was seen in Ahwaz, in the year 350, that he said: Ali ibn Hamam told me in a chain that I do not remember, that one of the ‘Ara’ib people came to the Commander of the Believers Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah enoble his countenance) while he was very stressed and in hard times and many children, so it was said to him: “I urge you to seek forgiveness (istighfar) for indeed Allah Most High says, “Ask forgiveness of your Lord, indeed he is Forgiving…” So the man returned one more thime and he told him “O Commander of the Believers (may Allah enoble his countenance) , I have asked much forgiveness, and I still do not find relief from what I am experiencing.” Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) said, “Maybe you are not perfecting your seeking of forgiveness.” So the man said, “teach me!” So Ali (may Allah enoble his countenance) said, “make your intention sincere, obey your Lord, and say: "Allahumma inne astaghfiruka min kulli dhanb qawi ‘allayhi badani fi ‘afiyatik, aw nalathu yadi bi fadli ni‘matik, aw basata ilayhi yadi bi sabighi rizqak, aw itakalta fi ‘inda khawfi min, ‘ala anatik aw athaqta fihi bi hilmak, aw ‘awaltu bihi ‘ala karami ‘afwak, allahumma inne astaghfiruka min kulli dhanb, khunta fi imanati, aw bakhisat bihi nafsi, aw qudamat fihi lizati, aw atharat fihi shahadati, aw sa‘idit fihi li ghayri, aw istawghayt bihi man taba‘ani, aw ghalabat fihi bi fad’ail haylati, aw ahalat fihi ‘alayk ya mawla’i, falam tu’akhidhini ‘ala fi‘ali idha kunta subhanak karahan li ma‘siyati, lakin sabaqa ‘ilmak fi bakhtiyari, wa ista‘mali maradi wa ithari, fahlamat ‘anni, lam tadkhulani fihi jabran, wa lam tahmilani ‘alayhi qahran, wa lam tadhlimani shay’in, ya Arham al-Rahimeen, ya Sahibi ‘ind Shiddati, ya Mo’nsi fi Haddati, wa ya Hafidh ‘ind Gharbati, ya Wali fi ni‘mati, Ya Kashif Kurbati, wa ya Sam‘I Da‘wait, wa ya Arham ‘Abrati, wa ya Maqeeli ‘Ashrati, ya Ilahi bil Tahqeeq, ya Raani al-Watheeq, ya Raja’i fi al-Deeq ya Mawla’I ya Shaqeeq, wa ya Rab al-Bayt al-‘Atiq, Akhrijani min halq al-madayq illa sa‘a al-tareeq, wa faraj min ‘indaka qareeb watheeq, Akshif ‘anni kulli Shidda wa dayq, waakfini mi ateeq wa ma la taeeq, allahumma faraj ‘anni kulli ham wa karab, wa akhrijani min kulli ghamm wa huzn, ya faraj al-hamm, ya kashif al-ghamm, wa ya munzil al-qatar, wa ya mujeeb al-da‘wat al-mudatar, ya rahman al-dunya wal akhira war raheemaha, sal ‘ala khiratika Muhammad al-Nabi wa ‘ala Aleehi al-Tayibeen al-tahireen, wa faraj ‘anni dayq bihi sadri, wa‘eel ma‘ahu sabri, wa qult fihi hayati wa da‘afat lahu quwwati, ya kashif kulli dar wa baleeya, wa ya ‘alim kulli surra wa khafiya, ya arhman al-rahimeen, wa’food amri il Allah, in Allah al-Baseer bil ‘ibad, wa ma tawfeeqi illa billah, ‘alayhi tawakalat wa huwa rab al-‘arsh al-‘adheem".[3] So the ‘Ara’ib said “I have done this seeking of forgiveness much, so Allah took away my sadness, and gave me much provision, and my problems have gone.”

36. On the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), that he said, “I do not pay attention about my current situation, whether I like it, or whether I dislike it, this is because I do not know if the good is in what I like or if it is in what I do not like.”

37. On the authority of Abu ‘Abd al-Sammad al-‘Ami (may Allah be pleased with him), that he said “I heard Malik ibn Dinar (may Allah be pleased with him) say during his illness, and it was the last of the words that I heard him say, ‘How near are blessings to misfortune, they take turns, and in the end they both perish.’”

38. It was narrated that Ali ibn Abi Talib (may Allah enoble his countenance) said, “patience is like a guarantee of success, and the one who relies on Allah is not disappointed.”

39. On the authority of Anas ibn Malik (may Allah be pleased with him), that the Messenger of Allah(may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to look at a rock in front of his face, and say “If hardship came such that it would be underneath this rock, then ease would not come until it (hardship) would leave it (the rock). Thus, Allah revealed “Indeed with hardship comes ease, indeed with hardship comes ease.”

40. On the authority of Umar (may Allah be pleased with him), that he said, “I do not pay attention about my current situation, whether I like it, or whether I dislike it, this is because I do not know if the good is in what I like or if it is in what I dislike.

41. On the authority of Hamid ibn ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Himyari that he said, “My father was suffering from kidney stones, and I would suffer from the major distress from his intense pain; so I went to Jerusalem, and found Abi ‘Awwam, and told him what was wrong with my father, and so he ordered him to supplicate with this supplication: “Our Lord who’s throne be in the heavens, our Lord who’s name is Holy in the heavens, your will be done in the heavens and the earth, and just as your mercy is in the heavens, so be it on earth, forgive us our sins and transgressions indeed you are forgiving and merciful, O Lord grant us mercy from your mercy, and healing from your healing, on what is upon so-and-so of pain.” (Rabbana al-ladhi fis sama’i ‘arshu, rabbana fil sama’i taqaddas ismu, amruka mad’i fil sama’i wal ard, wa kama rahmatika fil sama’a faj‘alaha fil ard, ighfir lana dhunubana wa khatayana, innaka ant al-ghafur al-raheem. Allahumma anzil rahmatin min rahmatik, wa shifa’an min shifa’ak ‘ala ma bi fulanin min waj‘a.) so he said that his father made this supplication, and the sickness went away.”

42. It was narrated upon Ali ibn Abi Talib, that he said “the best actions of those who experience many problems are waiting for relief from Allah Victorious and Majestic, and patience upon divinely decreed trials.”

43. It was also narrated upon him, that he said, “the intelligent does not fear the first hardship, nor does he become happy from his first good event, for maybe the thing which makes you happy will go away, and maybe the thing that makes you sad will be made easy.”

44. ‘Abdullah ibn Tahir complained to Sulayman ibn Yahya that he feared a calamity is about to strike him, so it was said to him: “O Prince, let your heart not be filled with fear if something happens, if something you disliked happens instead of something you like happening, for indeed after it maybe what you like will happen, and the thing you dislike will go away, so you will be one who is filled with depression and fear. So with this advice the man said you have relieved me of what I feared.

45. It was narrated upon Hasan al-Basri, “Good is that which there is no evil in, it is thankfulness with relief, and patience with problems, how many are those who have a blessing and are not thankful? And how many are those who are faced with problems and are not patient?”

46. Qadi Abu Husayn narrated in his book Kitab al-Faraj Ba‘d al-Shidda, and said that he was told by many of the righteous that they said that on the authority of Abu Hurayra that the Prophet Muhammad (may Allah bless him and give him peace) said, “If I am in a hardship and I expect good times afterwords, it is more beloved to me than that I be in good times, and expect hardship afterwords.”

47. Qadi Abu Husayn also narrated in his book, yet without a chain of transmission that Ali said at times of intense hardship “this is relief,” and at times of hard calamities he would say “this is hope,” and at the times of difficulty he would say “this is ease!”

48. Ibn Mas‘ud (may Allah be pleased with him) used to swear by Allah that no servant expects the best from Allah Most High except that He gives him the best.

:salam2::ma:

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:
22 Dua from The Holy Quran

" And when My servants ask thee concerning Me, I am indeed close (to them): I respond to the dua (prayer) of every suppliant when they calleth on Me " [ Quran 2:186 ]

1. Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire (2:201)

2. Our Lord! Bestow on us endurance and make our foothold sure and give us help against those who reject faith. (2:250)

3. Our Lord! Take us not to task if we forget or fall into error. (2:286)

4. Our Lord! Lay not upon us such a burden as You did lay upon those before us. (2:286)

5. Our Lord! Impose not on us that which we have not the strength to bear, grant us forgiveness and have mercy on us. You are our Protector. Help us against those who deny the truth. (2:286)

6. Our Lord! Let not our hearts deviate from the truth after selves, and unless You grant us forgiveness and bestow Your mercy upon us, we shall most certainly be lost! (7:23)

13. Our Lord! Place us not among the people who have been guilty of evildoing. (7:47)

14. Our Lord! Lay open the truth between us and our people, for You are the best of all to lay open the truth. (7:89)

15. Our Lord! Pour out on us patience and constancy, and make us die as those who have surrendered themselves unto You. (7:126)

16. Our Lord! Make us not a trial for the evildoing folk, and save as by Your mercy from people who deny the truth (10:85-86)

17. Our Lord! You truly know all that we may hide [in our hearts] as well as all that we bring into the open, for nothing whatever, be it on earth or in heaven, remains hidden from Allah (14:38)

18. Our Lord! Bestow on us mercy from Your presence and dispose of our affairs for us in the right way. (18:10) & (59:10)

19. Our Lord! In You we have placed our trust, and to You do we turn in repentance, for unto You is the end of all journeys. (60:4)

20. Our Lord! Perfect our light for us and forgive us our sins, for verily You have power over all things. (66:8)

21. Surah Al-An'am 6.162: Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salât (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists). Our Lord! Perfect our light for us and forgive us our sins, for verily
You have power over all things. (66:8)

22. Surah Al-An'am 6.162: Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Verily, my Salât (prayer), my sacrifice, my living, and my dying are for Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamîn (mankind, jinns and all that exists).

OsMaN_93

Here to help
:salam2:

Abu Hurairah narrates from the Prophet (saw), “In the court of Allah, there is no greater thing than Duaa” (Ibn Majah)

Imagine your next door neighbor has a personal servant. You find out that the servant is asking for a house, a fancy car, and a large screen TV. Personally speaking, what do you think you would have done in this situation? The most probable thing that would happen is that you would just stare at him blankly. Most likely, the only thing on your mind would be, “His job is to work and just get paid - not to start asking for gifts and free handouts”. Let’s take the scene even further and imagine that not only did the neighbor say yes, but he is encouraging him to ask for more items.

If this was really to happen, any ordinary bystander would have been visibly puzzled at the peculiarity of this scene. However, if we were to look at the scene from a different angle, we might look at it differently. In reality, that scene is very much alike with the connection between Allah (swt) and his servants (except that Allah’s kingdom would not decrease at all, contrary to if we were to give). Allah’s love for His servants can be beautifully summarized in the following Hadith, “Verily your Lord is Generous and Shy. If His servant raises his hands to Him (in supplication) He becomes shy to return them empty (Ahmad, Abu Dawood, Tirmidhi)”.

-

There are benefits of making Dua including:

-

1. The loss of arrogance - For someone that makes constant Dua, arrogance is something that is not among their characteristics because when one beseeches Allah, he is affirming his own powerlessness.

-

2. The fulfillment of the Dua - Basically, you get what you wanted. For the people that sometimes see that their Duas are not being accepted, there is either the option that the Dua will be accepted later on in this life or in the Hereafter or the option that the Dua will accepted by other means as one Hadith said, Jabir narrates from the Prophet, “Whoever does duaa to Allah, Allah fulfills his seeking or in exchange averts misfortune until the duaa is not related to sin or breaking some relation.” (Tirmidhi)

One personal example that I can share is that when I was younger, I had wanted to win first place in a Quran competiton and so, I made Dua to Allah (swt) to help me win. Unfortunately, when the day for the competition came, there was another event that was taking place somewhere else and I had to go with my parents to that event instead of the competition. I felt sad because I had really wanted to win that competition and I wondered what happened to my Dua.

Two weeks later, my parents take me to a speech competition and there, I found out that the organizers will also be holding a Quran competition. I signed up for the competition and after participating in it, the awards ceremony started. Before starting, the organizers made a statement that made me awestruck; they said they would like to thank the organizers of a Quran competition that was held two weeks ago because the format of the whole competition was exactly the same as the one held two weeks back. I only became even more awestruck when I found out that I won first place.

-

Looking back, I realized that if we make a Dua, Allah (swt) will answer it in the best way possible for us. Therefore, if we do not see our Dua being accepted immediately, we should not despair because either it will help us against some misfortune, or it might be accepted later…

3. The doors of mercy are opened - Abdullah bin Umar narrated that the Prophet said, “For whoever the door of Dua opened, for him the doors of mercy are opened...” (Tirmidhi)

-

4. It has the power to change destiny (only the minor Qadr - not major ones such as the signs of the Day of Judgment) - Salman Farsi narrated that the Prophet said, “Dua turns away destiny and good deeds lengthen age (Tirmidhi).

-

There are certain things that one should keep in mind concerning the Dua:

-

1. The Prophet once said, “Dua is Ibadah” (Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah, and Abu Dawud). Since it is a type of worship, it is something that we must always do. This is even to the extent that the Prophet said, “Allah is extremely displeased with the person who doesn’t do duaa to Allah” (Tirmidhi).

-

2. As mentioned before, the Dua must always be done. Nowadays, we only say our Duas when hardship befalls us and is the last resort, when all else has failed. However, this should not be the case as the Prophet (saw) said, Whosoever desires that Allah answers his Duas in unfavorable and difficult conditions, he should make plentiful dua in days of ease and comfort.”

3. Try making Dua for others because if you do so, the same thing may also occur to you too. There are certain ayahs in the Quran such as the last Ayah in Surah Nuh, the meaning of which is, “O my Lord! Forgive me, my parents, all who enter my house in Faith, and (all) believing men and believing women: and to the wrong-doers grant Thou no increase but in perdition!” If you are to recite this verse, then you get a sin erased for every Muslim living in this world. Also, the Prophet said, ”Duaa for a person not present is accepted quickly by Allah”.

4. Have complete conviction that Allah will accept the Dua, because if you don’t, then there is a high chance it won’t be accepted. The Prophet said, “When anyone of you does Dua then don’t say “Oh Allah! Forgive me if you want“, “Have mercy on me if you want“, “Give me subsistence if you wish” rather believe completely that HE will do whatever HE wishes. Nobody can force Him.” (Bukhari)

5. The best times to make Dua is when one is in Sujood, the times between Adhan and Iqamah, as well as at other times as indicated by the following Hadith in which the Prophet said, “Three types of people’s Duas are not rejected: 1) At the time of Iftar the person who has fasted 2) Adil ruler’s Dua 3) The Dua of the oppressed. Allah raises the Dua of the oppressed on the clouds and the doors of heaven are opened for it and Allah says, “Oath of MY Majesty and Honor! I will help and aid you. Even though if the help is after few days.” (Tirmidhi) Another Hadith listed another three in which the Prophet said, Three Duas are such in which there is no doubt of their acceptance: 1) Father’s Dua 2) Traveler’s Dua 3) Dua of the oppressed”. (Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)

May the above information strengthen your resolve to make more Duas and may it benefit you in many ways. Ameen…

http://youthmusings.wordpress.com/2007/11/19/the-power-of-dua/:salam2: