124,000-rose dowry

umm hussain

An Iranian court has ordered a man to give his wife the 124,000 roses that he promised in her dowry, after she filed a complaint to claim it, reports say.

The woman said she was claiming the dowry because her "very stingy husband" would not even pay for a cup of coffee, according to the E'temad newspaper.

The court has seized the man's flat until he produces all of the roses.

Under Iranian law, a woman can claim her dowry, or mahr, at any time during a marriage or when getting divorced.

The gift becomes the property of the wife to do whatever she likes with.

It is required in order for the marriage contract and the marriage itself to be valid.

According to E'temad, the woman, identified as Hengameh, decided to claim her entire dowry of 124,000 red roses after 10 years of marriage to "punish her very stingy husband".

"Shortly after marriage, I realised that Shahin was very cheap," she told the newspaper. "He even refused to pay for my coffee if we went to a cafe or restaurant."

Shahin told the court he could only afford to give her five roses a day and complained that it was his wife's "billionaire friends who had put such ideas in her head".

But the judge rejected Shahin's pleas and ordered his $64,000 (£33,000) flat to be confiscated until he has bought them all.

A long-stemmed rose costs about $2 (£1.09) in the Iranian capital, Tehran.

It is common in Iran to offer gold coins or property as mahr. An Iranian man can end up in jail for dowry debts.

q8penpals

Salam

Darn, wish I would have thought of that first! LOL!

At least the court is supporting the woman (although, if I were her, I would much rather take the money the roses would cost).

Lana

habib786

lol.. this is really kool .......... do u think she should take money instead of roses? ....

jazakallahu khairan

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
salam aleikum

hm
he didnt pay for coffee only once ,thats all she mentioned and all this against him now :D.We can't know who is right in this story ,but it reminded me this hadith ...

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet said: "I was shown the hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked, "Do they disbelieve in Allah?" (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, "They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, 'I have never received any good from you." (Book #2, Hadith #28)

waaleikum salam

Salaam,

How was the prophet (saw) shown the hell fire? In a dream about the future? I thought no one is in hell until the Day of Judgement? Just wanted to re-confirm my answer. Jazakallah khair.

IslamIsLight

Islam is my life
Staff member
Salaam,

How was the prophet (saw) shown the hell fire? In a dream about the future? I thought no one is in hell until the Day of Judgement? Just wanted to re-confirm my answer. Jazakallah khair.

salam aleikum
As far as I know ,the Prophet(PBUH) was shown the hell fire(how it will be) on the night of Miraj.Please can anyone correct me if im wrong.
I hope somebody knowledgable will answer your question...

waaleikum salam

Salaam,

Thank you sister. I guess I wanted to further know if the hadith was given on or after his ascension to the 7 heavens. It would make sense if it was said on or after the night of Miraj.

umm hussain

salam aleikum

hm
he didnt pay for coffee only once ,thats all she mentioned and all this against him now :D.We can't know who is right in this story ,but it reminded me this hadith ...

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: The Prophet said: "I was shown the hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers were women who were ungrateful." It was asked, "Do they disbelieve in Allah?" (or are they ungrateful to Allah?) He replied, "They are ungrateful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors and the good (charitable deeds) done to them. If you have always been good (benevolent) to one of them and then she sees something in you (not of her liking), she will say, 'I have never received any good from you." (Book #2, Hadith #28)

waaleikum salam

Walaikum salam warhamtullah

I agree sis, after all she has been married to him for 10years. If he was so stingy why is she still with him. You would think he does not even pay for her food or clothing. Like you said we do not know the full story and anyway what a dowry. Since he agreed to that he should pay, a promise is a promise and the dowry is her right and it is a debt on his part which should be paid and it is 10years overdue

hayat_yahya

so 2$x124,000=248,000$ for red roses...and there r so many poor women who have no food 4 babies and this one wants red roses...wht she did good?4 the sake of Allah subhana wa ta'ala it wud be sadaqa if she wud forgive the man 4 being 'stingy' and leave him if she consider him so bad instead of getting 248,000$ red roses no good 4 dress,food and even not long lasting...

zainsmommy

so 2$x124,000=248,000$ for red roses...and there r so many poor women who have no food 4 babies and this one wants red roses...wht she did good?4 the sake of Allah subhana wa ta'ala it wud be sadaqa if she wud forgive the man 4 being 'stingy' and leave him if she consider him so bad instead of getting 248,000$ red roses no good 4 dress,food and even not long lasting...

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dianek

I think it makes a great divorce settlement!!!!
But if I were him, I would start planting rose bushes!!!!!! Save him a bunch of money!

Salaam,

An astute observation. There are two issues. 1) He made an oath to give roses as dowry. He must fulfill his covenant. 2) Whether it was beneficial to buy roses is another discussion.

We shouldn't point fingers, because we are not perfect ourselves. I know I sometimes don't spend my money in good use. I know I can be more 'wallet sensitive.' All this being said, inshallah we all can learn to spend our money to something more useful and not to forget those who live impoverish lifestyles.

I bear witness, Allah is my judge.