Plucking of the eyebrows

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

I know this ruling is known to many but I thought of posting this as a reminder as I still see a lot of women have their eyebrows plucked, even with their HIJAABS ON!. I even have this cousin who wears niqaab and you can see her eyebrows plucked :astag: This might not be one of the major sins but it's still a sin and it may grow bigger and bigger if it's not stopped.

Plucking part of the eyebrows in order to look beautiful for ones husband

Question:Can women pluck some of their eyebrows in order to look more beautiful for their husbands?

Answer:Praise be to Allaah.

It says in Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

Plucking of women’s eyebrows is not permissible, it is the namas for which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. The naamisah is the one who does it for someone else and the mutanammisah is the one who asks someone else to do it for her (as mentioned in the hadeeth). The same applies if a woman does it for herself. It is haraam and is not permitted.

Allaah is Wise in what He decrees for His slaves. Some people are beautiful in appearance and some are not; the entire matter is in the hand of Allaah. It is essential to be patient and seek reward with Allaah, and not to transgress His sacred limits for the sake of one's own whims and desires.

What I think is that you should not remove anything from the eyebrows at all, unless there is hair outside of the line of the eyebrows, such as if there is a mole from which a hair is growing. This may be removed because in this case it is removing a kind of fault or deformity, not in order to look beautiful. And Allaah knows best.

See Fataawa Manaar al-Islam by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 3, p. 832.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen said: “It is not permissible to cut the hair of the eyebrows, or to shave it, reduce it or pluck it, even with the husband’s approval. This is not the matter of beauty, rather it is altering the creation of Allaah Who is the Best of creators. A warning has been narrated against doing that and the one who does it is cursed; this implies that it is forbidden.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

Submitter

:salam2:

Indeed sister thank you for the reminder. But still today pretty much every sister I have come across plucks their eyebrows (or at least it looks like they do). Although I understand if there is hair in between the eyebrows it is permissible to remove this.

May Allah guide us and help us to do that which is right and grant us refuge from shaytaan.

:wasalam:

proudmuslimah

Eyebrows

This question was asked in my Islamic studies class at my mosque. The Imam said that it is not permissible to remove the eyebrows completely and redraw them, but it is ok to pluck them and keep them neat.

zarah

Islam
Staff member
Assalamu Alaikum

:bismillah:

I have come across this question so many time!:eek:

I have people tell me that its haram to pluck eyebrow because its a banner of prostitution.(Please correct me if I am wrong :frown: )

May Allah(Swt) guide us all to the straight path and protect us from evil temptation. (Ameen):)

:subhanallah: I have seen alot of sisters with plucked eyebrows.:eek:

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Wa alaykum salaam

Yes sister you are correct...plucking the eyebrows is not permissible....alot of sisters do not no this or choose to ignore it..

Hope these links can help them...

Question:
I know it is forbidden for a woman to remove hair from her eyebrows, but what about the rest of the face? Is it permissable for a woman to remove hair from the upperlip or other parts of the face? If the woman is especially hairy?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah: “It is not permissible to remove the hair of the eyebrows because this is the namas (plucking) for which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who do it, and it is a kind of changing the creation of Allaah, which is the action of the Shaytaan. If a woman’s husband tells her to do it, she should not obey him, because it is a sin, and there is no obedience to any created being if it involves disobedience towards the Creator. Rather obedience should only be with regard to things that are good and proper, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said.”

Secondly:

It is permissible to remove any hair from the face apart from the hair of the eyebrows.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah: “The evidence that it is permissible for a woman to remove hair from her body is the basic principle which states that it required for her to adorn herself for her husband. There is no evidence to suggest that this is not allowed, apart from the prohibition on al-namas (plucking), which means removing hair from the eyebrows.”

And it also says: “What is the Islamic ruling on removing hair that grows between the eyebrows? The Committee replied: It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.”

And Allaah knows best

waslaam

dido70

سلام عليكم أخواتى
i know it's quite strang to find a man concerned about that topic so forgive me to involve myself in that discussion but i have a friend who is married to an english lady who newly converted islam but obviously her husband is not that religious so when he prays she prays when he doesn't she doesn't recently she told me that she heard that plucking eyebrow is "haram" forbidden in islam but she didn't know why and when i told her that this a changing to a God's creation she replied what about if you had a big nose for example and you need a surgery to make it looks better would it be "haram"?
moreover i'm doing that for my husband so what is the wrong to pluck little bit of eyebrow? i really didn't find an answer for that so could you please any one has a convinced answer for that question especially we should bear in our mind that we are born muslims so it's easy for us to follow and obey every thing prophet Muhammad صلى الله علية وسلمbut as you the Europeans are different and like to have an answer for every thing so please any one to help me to give her an emphatic answer
بارك الله فيكم

shaakir

Alghadullilah, I have learnt quite a bit on this site.

My wife has very thick, but not abnormally thick, eyebrows.

I have once asked my wife to trim her eyebrows, and Alghadullilah, she never listened to me.

I have sent her parts of this post to inform her it is garaam, now that she is considering it out of her own (I promise it's her own choice this time :biggrin: ).

She is saying her collegues at work, mostly non-muslim, is teazing her because of it and said they will pluck it themselves.
She is thus very unhappy, and am afraid she will give in to the wispers of shaytan. :astag:

Is she allowed to trim it slightly to give back some of her self-confidence?

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Wa alaykum salaam

This link is the only one closet to what i could find to help you...

If this is in anyway incorrect may Allah (swt) forgive me...

Question:
What is the ruling on reducing the hair of the eyebrows?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

If that is done by means of plucking, then it is haraam, and indeed it is one of the major sins, because it is the “namas” for which the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. But if it is done by cutting or shaving, then it was regarded as makrooh by some scholars and forbidden by others who regarded it as a kind of “namas”. They said: “ ‘Namas’ does not only mean plucking, rather it is a general word which includes all ways of changing the hair for which Allaah has not granted permission, if it is on the face.” But what we think is that women should not do that unless the hair of the eyebrows is so thick that it hangs down over the eyes and affects her vision, in which case it is o.k. to remove that which is causing the problem.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen

wasalaam

Ash patel

salams broter dido70 da way it is haram 2 pluk da eyebrows bcoz it changes da luk on da face da same way havin plastic surgery done is wrong bcoz wer stil changin da way allah created us n also we cant do anythin 4 our husbands n wives if it is out of the islamic boundries if its within then thers no problem.
n one more thing we al hav wishes yeah n 2 be honest wiv u one of my wishes is to do my eyebrows bt mashallah until nw i neva hav done so. bcz i always ask my self one question which is WHY? why am i livin in da world?n al da answers cum 2 mind one of em bein im livin 4 da almighty n livin in dis world is only a test n so on. inshallah in the hereafta wen we go 2 jannah we can do what we want, hav al da qualities we wish 2 hav eg if we ask 2 hav da best nose! den allah wil grant us wiv dat n so on.
u knw wot u guys r al probly getin bored of my lecture so bete leave u wiv dat much info 4 nw hopes it useful!

MubarekMuslimah

I understand why plucking of the eybrows is haraam but I don't understand this - why is it I see some people who don't pluck their eyebrows but have nose piercings? Isn' that also a form of beautification, a little diamond sparkling in the nose and also changing the face that Allah swt gave you? Is this haraam too?

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Piercing the nose and eyebrows

I understand why plucking of the eybrows is haraam but I don't understand this - why is it I see some people who don't pluck their eyebrows but have nose piercings? Isn' that also a form of beautification, a little diamond sparkling in the nose and also changing the face that Allah swt gave you? Is this haraam too?

Piercing the nose and eyebrows

Question:
Is it permissible for a Muslim teenager who wears hijab to pierce her nose or eyebrow?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is better not to do this, because it serves no purpose and causes pain and mutilation to the nose, and more son in the case of the eyebrow, by making holes in them. With regard to piercing the earlobes in order to wear earrings, this was the custom of women at the time of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), so it is better to limit ourselves to that.

islamqa.com

So it's not haraam but it's BETTER not to.

Oem Soufiane

salaam aleikum wa rahmatulahi wa barakatuh,

i also read that it isn't permissible because it was a habit of the prostitutes at the time of the prophet sal allahu aleihi wa salaam. I don't know where it was but i read it a couple of times.

Happy 2BA Muslim

Islamophilic

Indeed sister thank you for the reminder. But still today pretty much every sister I have come across plucks their eyebrows (or at least it looks like they do). Although I understand if there is hair in between the eyebrows it is permissible to remove this.

May Allah guide us and help us to do that which is right and grant us refuge from shaytaan.

Just wanted to add another fatwa that wasn`t mentioned.

Removing the hair between the eyebrows

Question:
Is removing the hair BETWEEN the eyebrows permissable for men?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows. And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah send blessings and peace upon our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions.

From Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/197

This ruling applies to both men and women. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

muharram23

Staff member
Salamu alaykum

Hurul-ein, that fetwa by a well know scholar should be sufficinet. I love sheykh Uthaimeen rahimehullah. Fatwa is very clear. May Allah s.v.a reward you

wassalamu alaykum

Slave-of-Allah

This is very useful information! I am also shocked to see so many Muslim sisters plucking their eyebrows and when asked why they do it or if they know it is haraam to do so, they say they 'think it's ok!'. Astagfirullah!!! I've also learnt that those who pluck or thread other women's eyebrows for them are also cursed by Allah! I feel sorry for all those women at the beauty parlour before Eid! I've never in my life touched my eyebrows and yet whenever anybody looks at my face they tend to ask me questions such as, 'what shape eyebrows will you be having on Eid?' and 'You look like you pluck your eyebrows, do you really?'. And then i have to tell them that i don't pluck my eyebrows. And some of them have then said, 'So when will you be plucking them? They be shocked to hear when my answer is 'Never'. Then they come out with things like 'But every girl plucks her eyebrows!'. And i tell them, 'Well every girl is doing wrong!. :) Anyways there are also some who know it's wrong and still do it :astag:

suumaya

I used to pluck my eyebrows for long time then one day one of my friend who is religious told me that plucking the eyebrows is like cuting vein, that scare me so i stoped and now they are kinda bushy but whenever i think of plucking it i remind myself the vein thing and i guess that helps...

MAY ALLAH forgives us all for our mistakes...

Slave-of-Allah

The issue of removing hair from around the eyebrows has become a very popular issue and one which many people seem to be very confused about. What makes it more difficult is that the in vogue today (especially in non-Muslim circles) is one of thinning the eyebrows and shaping them. Hence, this poses a great fitna for many of our Muslim sisters.

Even those who have perfectly formed eyebrows sometimes feel that they are out of shape and look upon themselves as being ugly. Then they begin the exercise of shaping, bleaching, and thinning them out.

The Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam said:

Allah has cursed those women who modify their eyebrows or ask others to do it for them.

As we can see the warning from the Prophet Sallallahu alayhi wasallam is a very strong one. This is why great scholars like Ibn Hajar al-‘Asqalni, Tabari, Nawawi, among others have actually prohibited any kind of modifications to the eyebrows, even removing hair from in between linked eye-brows. Tabari has considered it to be changing the creation of Allah.

However, they have permitted the removal of hair for women from the chin and above the upper lip (if a beard or moustache develops), since this is to avoid resembling men.

We learn from this that it is not permissible for women to remove any hair from the eyebrows for the sake of just beautifying themselves. However, it would be permissible for a woman to remove the hair from above he nose (if the eyebrows have become linked), as this is considered not normal. It may also be considered permitted to clip off one or two stray hairs from around the eyebrows or for very bushy eyebrows to be reduced to normal size and moderation. This type of concession (i.e. to remove hair for the sake of eliminating a defective appearance) can be found in the following:

Ibn ‘Abidin al-Shami writes in his commentary on the al-Durr al-Mukhtar concerning the prohibition of plucking hair from the face:

It is possible that the prohibition mentioned (in the Hadith) is if this is done for the sake of beautifying oneself for the sake of strangers, otherwise, if she has some hair on her face which causes abhorrence in her husband, then the prohibition of removing such hair seems to be far-fetched. This is because (self) beautification for women is recommended for the sake of chastity…It states in the Tabyin al-Maharim that removing facial hair is unlawful, unless a beard or moustache grows on a women, in which case it will not be unlawful to remove it, but would actually be recommended. It is related in the Tatarkhaniyya from al-Mudmarat that there is no objection in removing the hair from eyebrows and face so long as it does not cause one to resemble a effeminate. The same is mentioned in the Mujtaba (Radd al-Muhtar 5:239).

There is also the following from the Fatawa Hindiyya:

And there is no objection to take the hair of eyebrows and face as long as it is not effeminate (Fatawa Hindiyya pg 23/4)

Also, one of the great jurists of the twenty first century Mufti Rashid Ahmad Ludhyanwi issued the following fatwa:

[…] However, if the eyebrows have become so dense that it is unseemly for a woman and incites abhorrence in her husband, it is permissible to trim it to a more appropriate and normal size (Ahsan al-Fatawa Vol.8 pg.76; Zakariyya Book Deport).
Taking the Hadith and the various statements of the Hanafi jurists into consideration the following could be concluded:

1) It would be permitted for a woman to remove a beard or moustache that appears on her face. Even though it is facial hair, but since it is to stop women from resembling men, it is permitted. This is the opinion of the majority of scholars, in fact they have said it is recommended, not just permitted. The same will be to bleach this hair instead.

2) If the eyebrows are linked in between, it would be permissible to remove the excess hair from in between to separate them (i.e. the hair above the nose). The reason for this is that linked eyebrows are looked upon as a defect, hence it would be permissible to remove it.

3) A ‘few’ stray hairs around the eyebrows would be permissible to remove by clipping them off, if it looks defective, or for married women created abhorrence in their husband. This does not mean it is permitted to remove a whole line or two of fine hair from around the eyebrows (as is the nowadays).

4) Dense bushy eyebrows may be trimmed down to a more normal size. However, one must exercise great caution in this regard, since one does not want it to fall under the warning of the Hadith. If one is not sure how to determine the normal size they should not act on the benefit of the doubt, but rather follow the more cautionary approach and trim less. What so called ‘regular’ (especially non-Muslim) people consider nowadays as the norm i.e. eyebrows that are shaped in particular unnaturals or reduced to thin lines can not be considered as acceptable in Islamic law due to the severity of the Hadith.

5) Great caution has to be exercised in this regard, since the Hadith is very strict and there are some Hanafi scholars who have taken more strict position. For instance, mullah Ali al-Qari (R.A) comments (relating from Imam Nawawi) that plucking of the facial hair is haram (unlawful) for a woman with the exception of moustache or beard hairs (Mirqat al-Mafatih 8:218). The concessions mentioned above are for the removal of a defective appearance and not for purely beautification purpose, hence, caution in this matters is the way.

And Allah knows best.

Globalpeace

Banned
Pain?

Asslamo Allaikum,

Doesn't it hurt? I have a feeling that it may bring tears to one's eyes?

A popular torture technique is to pull hair from the beard one at a time till its all plucked!

Plucking eye-brows should hurt, shouldn't it?

Slave-of-Allah

Asslamo Allaikum,

Doesn't it hurt? I have a feeling that it may bring tears to one's eyes?

A popular torture technique is to pull hair from the beard one at a time till its all plucked!

Plucking eye-brows should hurt, shouldn't it?

Yes i'm sure it would hurt! ouch

lazim

Salam,

Can anyone advise me then, whether it is haraam to bleach the eyebrows in order to make them tidy?

Masalam