Interesting conversation I had with someone.

Bottlecap

Hello everyone, so as some of you know, I am not Muslim, but I am very curious about the faith because of all the negative press. So I mentioned to a friend of mine online "I am learning about Islam." and my friend of mine said some very interesting things. She asked if I was going to convert and if I did it would mean I couldn't drink coffee anymore, I would have to "hate America", she also asked if I was going to be a terrorist. It really shocked me how much just the word "Islam" seems to cause in people.

I'm sorry if my use of those words upset anyone. I was really shocked at her reaction.

Warm regards,

Bottlecap

dna1987

Muslim Guy
^ Lol, ask your friend to come on this site too if she wants to ask any questions. I think she might have mixed up coffee with alcohol. Alcohol, and anything that intoxicates in small amounts is forbidden in large amounts. As Muslims, we don't drink alcohol at all. No getting drunk or high for us.
Also, click the link below to watch a short video on American Muslims that converted (from Texas too). You can ask your friend to watch it as well.
http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13

Lastly about terrorism, my honest opinion is that there are more innocent people in the world that are terrified of when and where the US army will attack next rather than the 1 in 5 people that make up the world Muslim population.

warda A

Sister
Hello everyone, so as some of you know, I am not Muslim, but I am very curious about the faith because of all the negative press. So I mentioned to a friend of mine online "I am learning about Islam." and my friend of mine said some very interesting things. She asked if I was going to convert and if I did it would mean I couldn't drink coffee anymore, I would have to "hate America", she also asked if I was going to be a terrorist. It really shocked me how much just the word "Islam" seems to cause in people.

I'm sorry if my use of those words upset anyone. I was really shocked at her reaction.

Warm regards,

Bottlecap

Salams

yes , there is alot of negative press about islam out there just as your friend showed, she got all that from the media, unfortunately many people jump to conclusions without verifying the news they recieve.
The meaning of the word Islam is peace, so ask your self how that could change into terror?.
She asked if I was going to convert and if I did it would mean I couldn't drink coffee anymore, I would have to "hate America", she also asked if I was going to be a terrorist
and muslims i think are the largest consumers of coffee, because it is allowed to drink it.
about hating America, my opinion is that it is all politics because of Americas foreign policy towards the middle east.

By just reading the biography of the prophet Mohammed (may Allah's peace and blessing be upon him) you will get an insight of what a muslim should and is.
you could get them here in this site.
inshallah this site will be of help to you and the many who would like to know where the truth is.

:tti_sister:

Bluegazer

Hello Bottlecap,

The best thing you could do now is just read about Islam from trustworthy sources. I have given you two links on post #14 of the thread you started "Wanting to cure my ignorance". Here's the link to my post:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=163630&postcount=14

I know it's going to take a while to read the books and view the documentaries I mentioned, but that's really the best way to "cure ignorance".

This forum could be helpful in certain ways, but there's really no substitute to good old fashioned reading of good books to quench your thirst for knowledge.

Regards,

Bluegazer

Bluegazer

Being shocked at the reaction of your friend shows that you're a good person. I thank you for taking the time to ask us Muslims about our religion.

And if you [a non Muslim] are shocked at the reaction of your friend, then you can only imagine the feelings a Muslim in America has when people bombard him or her with such feelings on a routine basis.

bintul islam

biz musulmanikh
Waz up bro!
Man don't lose this chance, hold on tight and learn Islam from authentic sources, go to Islamic centres/mosques etc etc. I truely hope you will find what you are looking for in Islam. We will, God willing (inshala) be here to answer any questions you may have. Remember Islam is not just faith in One God, rather, Islam is a way of life, Islam is common sense and Islam is logic. Check out the following website www.islamicity.com. Plz feel free to Pm us in private or ask any questions that's lurking inside you, till then take care and hope to see more posts by you!

Bottlecap

I honestly don't know how she and i get a long so well. She finds all religions false and silly. While though i don't subscribe to any one religion, I respect all that respect others.

Thanks for all the feedback, you should see the list of bookmarks I have currently. It's rather impressive :)

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman

Warm regards,

Bottlecap

:salam2:

your question or words weren't offensive at all. i am happy that you have tried to learn about islam from muslims and not the major press. islam does not prohibit muslims from drinking coffee or beverages containing caffeine. that would be the members of the LDS ( latter day saints i.e. mormon church ) that have that prohibition. we do, however refrain from alcoholic drinks.

also tell your friend that we muslims believe that conversion/reversion to islam is something that has to be done from the heart. it cannot be spread by force. we make the testimony of faith with a strong conviction that there is no God worthy of worship but God and that Muhammad:saw: is his last and final messenger.

i will be honest on where america stands for muslims. most muslim americans love america. we take part in the normal activities that every other american partakes in, as long as those things are halal ( permissible ) to us as muslims. there are certain things that we don't approve of. but most of the things that we don't approve of, aren't approved of by most religious groups in america. i would be lying if i said that there aren't any muslims in america that hate america. however, their numbers are very few to say the least. there are more muslims abroad that have problems with america with understandable reasoning. we all watch the news so i don't really have to be too detailed. people sometimes don't see certain things until the shoe is put on the other foot.

about terrorism. it's forbidden in islam to commit acts of terrorism. simply put. we muslims are always upset when we see muslims wrongfully portraying islam by committing such acts of evil. there are nearly 2 billion muslims in the world and only a small handful have the tendency to support a terrorist organization.
:wasalam:

ShyHijabi

The fact that your friend thinks we are not permitted to drink coffee means she has us confused with the Christian Mormons. They are the only religion that I know of that forbids the drinking of coffee and tea. As for the rest, I am Aerican and Muslim and I love my country...I just can't stand the stupidity of our government presently.

~Sarah