A Reminder of the Virtures of Ashoorah, which is on Friday

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Fasting on the Day of `Ashoorah
parlakyildizlar.gif

Servents of Ar-Rahmaan! Take this blessed oppurtunity to fast tomorrow (the 17th) and Friday, the day of `Ashoorah, a day of virtues. From the virtues of fasting on the day of `Ashoorah, which is the 10th of Muharram, is that it expiates one’s minor sins for the previous year.

The Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:
“It expiates (the sins) of the past year.” [Muslim]​
Ibn `Abbaas (رضي الله عنه) said:
“I never saw the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) so keen to make sure he fasted any day and preferring it over another except this day, the day of `Ashoorah....” [Al-Bukhaari]​
The reason as to why the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) was keen on fasting and urging others to fast on this day, has been explained in some ahaadeeth narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim.

Ibn `Abbaas (رضي الله عنه) reported that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وسلم) came to Madeenah and found the Jews fasting on the day of `Ashoorah. So the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said to them:
“What is this day you fast?”
They said:
“This is a great day. Allaah saved on it Moosaa (عليه السلام) and his people and drowned Fir`awn and his people, so Moosaa (عليه السلام) fasted on it out of gratitude and we fast on it.”
So the Messenger of Allaah (صلى الله عليه وسلم) fasted on it and ordered it to be fasted on.
Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) also made the intention to fast on the 9th of Muharram before he passed away. Muslim narrated that he (صلى الله عليه وسلم) said:
"When the coming year comes, if Allaah wills, we (also) will fast the ninth (of Muharram)."
Ibn `Abbaas (رضي الله عنه) said:
“The next year did not come except that the Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) had passed away.”
Imam An-Nawawee (رحمه الله) said:
“Some of the scholars have said: ‘Perhaps the reason for fasting on the ninth and the tenth is that so it does not resemble the Jews in their singling out of the tenth.’ ”[Sharh Saheeh Muslim Li-Nawawee]​
So I call you to hold onto the Sunnah of the Messenger (صلى الله عليه وسلم) by fasting these days and if you are not able to then single out Friday, so that you may have your previous year's sins expiated, inshaa' Allaah. And urge others to this act of obedience, that you may also benefit from the reward.

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaaamu'Alykum,

Very appealing on the homepage. Insh'Allah we all can fast tomorrow and on friday.

Alhamdulilah.

May Allah reward you in abundance. Ameen.

Just to mention, try to fast on this day because once its gone, its gone. Subhan'Allah. Just like the Day Ara'fah. How many people would have kicked themselves for not fasting on that day? Exactly!

Walaykum Salam

Julian

Thanks for sharing! I knew about fasting on the day of Ashoorah but i didnt know when it was. btw, is it possible to fast that day with the intention of making up a fasting day from Ramadan, and still getting the reward of the sins uplifted?

Faiza619

Strangers on earth
nice thread

:salam2:
:ma: nice thread. Alhamdullilah i am fasting today and tommorrow.
May Allah accept our fasting, duaahs and prayers :tti_sister: Ameen

JD19

Asalaam Alaikum,

I have a question regarding the fast of Ashura. I know that you can either fast the 9th and 10th, 10th and 11th, or all 3. I was speaking to a Muslim friend of mine and he said that Muslims arent allowed to fast on Fridays because its Jumaa. Coincidentally, the 9th of Muharram falls on a Friday. My instincts tell me that since the 9th was the day prescribed to fast then although its Friday, I still should fast. He and I are now confused. I still plan to fast the 9th and 10th... what is the ruling on this, if there is any?

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
assalamualaikum
its ok you can fasting on jumah.
what you think About ramadhan then?there is also jumah day also right,
I know the hadist that said not allowed fasting on jumah,but it is not Allowed when you only use jumah as special day of fasting,if you not intend to specialized the day then its ok.
hope it useful,happy fasting.
assalamualaikum

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
The Messenger of Allah, sal-Allaahu `alayhi wasallam said,
"None of you should fast on a Friday unless he fasts the day before or the day after."[Al-Bukhaari, 1849, Muslim, 1929]

Ibn Qudaamah said:
“It is makrooh to single out the day of Friday for fasting, unless that coincides with a fast which one usually observes, such as a person who fasts alternate days, and a day that he fasts coincides with Friday, or a person who has the habit of fasting on the first or last day of the month, or the middle day of the month.” [Al-Mughni, vol. 3, p. 53]​

Asalaam Alaikum,

I have a question regarding the fast of Ashura. I know that you can either fast the 9th and 10th, 10th and 11th, or all 3. I was speaking to a Muslim friend of mine and he said that Muslims arent allowed to fast on Fridays because its Jumaa. Coincidentally, the 9th of Muharram falls on a Friday. My instincts tell me that since the 9th was the day prescribed to fast then although its Friday, I still should fast. He and I are now confused. I still plan to fast the 9th and 10th... what is the ruling on this, if there is any?

wow I am so glad you ask this question because I was on my way to ask this question.

Jazakallah khairn