9 and 10 Muharram

ahmad al magtani

Kulo Nuwun
Assalamualaikum wr wb

hai brothers and sisters, we are in the assyuura month now, I believe that you all have already know,at 9 and 10 muharram (and if and only if you cannot do the 9th muharram do it at 11 muharram or do 9,10,11 muharram). As Sunnah were told to do shoum asyuura at 10 muharram. so why 9 muharram (Tasu'a)/11 muharram also? it because to differ us as a muslim with jews(because jews did assyuura shoum to).

what benefit from this shoum will we get? from hadits that i know
the benefit is that Allah will give mercy to our 1 year past sin to us (correct me if iam wrong)
thank you

Assalamualaikum wr wb
:SMILY252:

muharram23

Staff member
Assalamualaikum wr wb

hai brothers and sisters, we are in the assyuura month now, I believe that you all have already know,at 9 and 10 muharram (and if and only if you cannot do the 9th muharram do it at 11 muharram or do 9,10,11 muharram). As Sunnah were told to do shoum asyuura at 10 muharram. so why 9 muharram (Tasu'a)/11 muharram also? it because to differ us as a muslim with jews(because jews did assyuura shoum to).

the benefit is that Allah will give mercy to our 1 year past sin to us (correct me if iam wrong)
thank you

Assalamualaikum wr wb

Salamu alaykum

Yes brother u r correct. Resulullah s.va saw the yahood fast the day of ashura, meaning the 10th of muharram. He svs then asked them why they were fasting the day of ashoora and they replied that it was the day that Allah s.va saved benu israeel from pharao, and therefore this fast was to thank Allah sva for that. Then resulullah sva replied that we are more deserving of moosa than the yahood, so he svs told us to fast 9th and 10th of muharram, just so that we differ from the yahood. So, not 10th and 11th but 9th and 10th.

Also, you are correct that it does delete the sins of the previous year. As, it is stated;

Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting the day of ‘Arafah I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year before it and the year after it, and fasting the day of ‘Ashoora’ I hope Allaah will expiate thereby for the year that came before it.” Narrated by Muslim, 1162.

So, today sunday, jan 13, 2008 is the 4th of muharram, therefore the 10th wil be ssaturday inshAllah and the 9th is the friday. So, we all should use the benefit of having our minor sins deleted by Allah s.va.

But we know that the fast of food and water is an easy one, but fast of what we talk, where we look, and what we do, is the hard fast. So, may Allah s.va accept our fast of Muharram.

Ameen

Allah knows best

Wassalam

Muharram al bosni:SMILY259:

Sauda17

Assalamualaikum wr wb

thank you

Assalamualaikum wr wb

Wa alaikum assalaam

Jazakallah for sharing

*As well as fasting, the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) also encouraged to spend on one's family on this day.

Abu Hurayrah (radhiallaahu anhu) narrates that the Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, On the person who is generous to his family on the day of Aashooraa, Allah will be (especially) generous to him for the rest of the year.

*Muharram is a sacred month and to confirm its sanctity, Allah Almighty says, (so wrong not yourselves therein), which means do not wrong yourselves in these sacred months, because sin in these months is worse than in other months.
Qatadah said concerning this phrase (“so wrong not yourselves therein“) that wrongdoing during the sacred months is more serious and more sinful than wrongdoing at any other time. Wrongdoing at any time is a serious matter, but Allah gives more weight to whichever of His commands He will.

Al-Kashmiri

Staff member
from fatwa-online.com...

That which is recommended for the Muslim on the day of 'Aashooraa.

Question: What is obligatory upon the Muslim to do on the day of 'Aashooraa.. (tenth day of Muharram), and is Zakaat al-Fitr obligatory (on that day)?

Response: It is legislated for the Muslim to fast on the day of 'Aashooraa., for that which has been confirmed that the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) ordered fasting on (the day of) 'Aashooraa., however, when (the fasting of) Ramadhaan was obligated, whoever preferred to fast ('Aashooraa.) did so and whoever preferred not to (do so) did not. And there is no Zakaat al-Fitr (to be paid) on the day of 'Aashooraa. as there is on `Eed al-Fitr after the month of Ramadhaan.

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa, comprising -
Head: Shaykh 'Abdul 'Azeez ibn Abdullaah ibn Baaz;
Deputy Head: Shaykh 'Abdur-Razzaaq 'Afeefee;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 10, Page 400, Fatwa No.10962

The permissibility of fasting on the day of 'Aashooraa. only

Question: Is it permissible to fast 'Aashooraa. just one day?

Response: It is permissible to fast the day of 'Aashooraa. (tenth day of Muharram) just one day, however, it is better to fast the day before it or the day after it (also) and this is the established Sunnah of the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) who said: ((If I am (still) here next year, then certainly I shall fast the ninth (day of Muharram))), [(reported by) Muslim, Ahmad, Ibn Maajah, Ibn Abee Shaybah, at-Tahaawee, al-Bayhaqee and al-Baghawee]. Ibn 'Abbaass (radhi-yallaahu 'anhumaa) said: ((along with the tenth (day of Muharram))).

And with Allaah lies all the success, and may Allaah send prayers and salutations upon our Prophet Muhammad (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) and his family and his companions.

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 10, Page 401, Fatwa No.13700

Fasting voluntary fasts whilst having days (outstanding) from Ramadhaan

Question: What is the ruling regarding the one who has days of fasting remaining from the month of Ramadhaan yet wishes to fast voluntary fasts or fast the day of 'Aashooraa. (tenth day of Muharram)? For example, he wants to fast both the tenth and eleventh days with the intention of making up (the missed fasts of Ramadhaan) and not the fast of the day of 'Aashooraa. Also, is it permissible for one to fast the day of 'Aashooraa., even if he has fasts to make up from the month of Ramadhaan? And is it permissible for one who has days to make up from Ramadhaan to fast the Day of 'Aashooraa. and the day before it or the day after it, with the intention of making up (what he has missed)?

Response: He should not do the voluntary fast whilst he has a day or days to make up from Ramadhaan. Rather, he should begin by making up that which he has (outstanding) from Ramadhaan, then do the voluntary fast. Secondly, if he fasted the tenth and eleventh days of the month of Muharram with the intention of making up that which he has (outstanding) from the days he did not fast in the month of Ramadhaan, then that is permissible and sufficient in making up two days from that which he has outstanding; For that which the Prophet (sal-Allaahu `alayhe wa sallam) said: ((The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended,...)).

Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Ghudayyaan;
Member: Shaykh 'Abdullaah Ibn Qu'ood
Fataawa al-Lajnah ad-Daa.imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa. - Volume 10, Page 401, Fatwa No.6774

Idris16

I still have days to make up for Ramadaan and I want to fast ‘Ashoora’. Is it permissible for me to fast ‘Ashoora before I have made up the fasts I owe? Can I fast ‘Ashoora’ and the eleventh of Muharram with the intention of making up the Ramadaan fasts, and will I get the reward for fasting ‘Ashoora’?.

Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

You should not observe voluntary fasts when you still owe one or more days from Ramadaan, rather you should start with the fasts that you owe from Ramadaan, and then observe voluntary fasts.

Secondly:

If you fast the tenth and eleventh of Muharram with the intention of making up days that you owe from Ramadaan, that is permissible and will make up for two of the days that you owe. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Actions are judged but by intentions, and every person will have but that which he intended.”

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 11/401

We hope that you will have the reward for making up the missed fast and the reward for fasting that day.

Fataawa Manaar al-Islam, by Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), 2/358.

Islam Q&A
Hmm.. it seems those who didnt make up their missed days from Ramadan cant fast with the intention of fasting Ashora.

islamerica

1 Ummah under God
Sacrificing animals in Muharram

Question:

What is the ruling on sacrificing an animal at a specific date and time every year? Many people believe that slaughtering on the 27th of Rajab, 6th of Safar, 15th of Shawwal and 10th of Muharram draw them close to Allah and is an act of Ibadah (worship). Are these acts valid?

Answer:

All acts of Ibadah that draw a Muslim close to Allah are Tawqifiy (bound by a religious text and not amenable to personal opinion).

There is no textual proof from the Qur’an or the authentic Sunnah that dictate a particular sacrifice on the mentioned days of these months. The Sahabah did not do so either and therefore, this is a Bid‘ah. It is authentically reported that the Prophet
(peace be upon him) said: “Anyone who introduces anything into this matter of ours (Islam) that is not part of it will have it rejected.” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

– Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and Verdicts

strive-may-i

Do you know of places where sacrificing animals as part of deeni practice on Muharram eve is prevalent? I always was of opinion its just a minority few who do it.

Shak78

:salam2:

So is it ok for me to fast today like I should and tomorrow, as I did not fast yesterday?