is celebrating birthday haram ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansari

STRANGER...
:salam2:

well, tomorrow is my birthday i will be :bananabb2in: 17 :ma:
can someone tell my is celebrating birthday is haram ?

AishaR

Happy birthday for 2mw.

My sister in law has said we shudnt celebrate birthdays but I dont have any proof. I will try to find some & let you know.

:wasalam:

Hajar

Staff member
Assalamu alaykum,

Question:
what is the evidence on celebrating birthdays,is it allowed in islam?

Answer:

The evidence in the Qur’aan and Sunnah indicates that celebrating birthdays is a kind of bid’ah or innovation in religion, which has no basis in the pure sharee’ah. It is not permitted to accept invitations to birthday celebrations, because this involves supporting and encouraging bid’ah. Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not allowed…?” [al-Shoora 42:21]

“Then We have put you (O Muhammad) on a plain way of (Our) commandment. So follow that, and follow not the desires of those who know not. Verily, they can avail you nothing against Allaah (if He wants to puish you). Verily, the zaalimoon (wrongdoers) are awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) to one another, but Allaah is the Wali (Protector, Helper) of the muttaqoon (pious).” [al-Jaathiyah 45:18-19]

“Follow what has been sent down unto you from your Lord, and follow not any awliyaa’ (protectors, helpers, etc.) besides Him. Little do you remember!” [al-A’raaf 7:3]

According to saheeh reports, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does something that is a not part of this matter of ours (i.e., Islam) will have it rejected” (reported by Muslim in his Saheeh); and “The best of speech is the Book of Allaah and the best of guidance is the guidance of Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The most evil of things are those which have been newly invented (in religion), and every innovation is a going astray.” There are many other ahaadeeth that convey the same meaning.

Besides being bid’ah and having no basis in sharee’ah, these birthday celebrations also involve imitation of the Jews and Christians in their birthday celebrations. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, warning us against following their ways and traditions: “You would follow the ways of those who came before you step by step, to such an extent that if they were to enter a lizard’s hole, you would enter it too.” They said, “O Messenger of Allaah, (do you mean) the Jews and Christians?” He said, “Who else?” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) also said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”(/font>

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 1/115

InshaAllah hope this answers your question...

Wasalam

sheikh_4232

happy bithday

From my opinion you can celebrate your birthday as long as it is not deviate from the path. i means that celebrating in Islamic way such as read the doa say thanks to Allah S.W.T, that has given your life and good health to continue doing the ibadah. Why can I say that, because I have read one article in my country from a scholar.
Until now in my country we are still celebrating Maulidur Rasul and it becomes public holiday.:) Even though some opinion has mention that, it is Bida'ah.
A lot of opinion regarding that...
Some opinion also say that when celebrating the birthday don't put the candle, it will becomes like Christians and Jews.
Don't mix with non murhim, sitting toghether, playing music than it will becomes haram. So just celebrate your birthday with your family....in Islamic way...
It is my opinion......wallahualam
Anyway Happy Birthday....
May Allah S.W.T bless us under His Protection.

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
From my opinion you can celebrate your birthday as long as it is not deviate from the path. i means that celebrating in Islamic way such as read the doa say thanks to Allah S.W.T, that has given your life and good health to continue doing the ibadah. Why can I say that, because I have read one article in my country from a scholar.
Until now in my country we are still celebrating Maulidur Rasul and it becomes public holiday.:) Even though some opinion has mention that, it is Bida'ah.
A lot of opinion regarding that...
Some opinion also say that when celebrating the birthday don't put the candle, it will becomes like Christians and Jews.
Don't mix with non murhim, sitting toghether, playing music than it will becomes haram. So just celebrate your birthday with your family....in Islamic way...
It is my opinion......wallahualam
Anyway Happy Birthday....

Salaam Alikom

Just because majorty of Muslim do something wrong dosnt make it Halal. Do we think we know better than the companion of the prophet peace be up him, or do we love the prophet more than his companion, did they did the birthday , did they celebrate the Muliad which some of the Muslim do now days.... Do we have more love and respect than the companion?

# 2 lets not ask about companion did any of the Imams did it? did the people after Companion did it? and when we celebrating birthday, are we celebrating that we getting old and closer to grave, or celebrating that a page of our life is gone and we dont know if Allah accepted our deeds or not...?
#3 It is not necessary that everything the West does is according to logic. The biggest proof that it is the invention of the west are the song words without which this function is not complete viz. 'Happy birthday to you.' No one says, 'Happy birthday celebration' or 'Happy Blessed birthday' or any other words of this kind.
#4How can it be permissible to waste time by celebrating birthdays and becoming happy that a big slice of one's life is put behind.Allah has bought the life and wealth of the believers for Jannat. This life is a trust of Allah by us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu wasallam) said, 'A person will not be able to move from his place, until he does not reply to five questions:

How did you spend your life?
How did you spend your youth?
Where did you earn your wealth from?
Where did you spend your wealth?
How much did you act upon your knowledge?

According to historians, the Fatimides were the first to celebrate the Prophet's birthday. Qalqashandi, in his book Subh Al-A`sha, says that the Fatimides used to make a huge celebration in Egypt and distribute large amounts of sweets for the occasion. Actually, the Fatimides used to celebrate the birthdays of other members of the Prophet's family and they also celebrated Christ's birthday

source: Islamonline.net
wa salaam alikom

samiha

---------
Staff member
birthdays are haraam, but sadly it's become a commonplace in many countries. may allah save us all from misguidance.

mosabaig

Celebrate Everyday

Since we are born and healthy, we should be celebrating it everyday,
or at least few time a year if not every month.....
dont forget to invite neibours and friend and donot forget needy and poors.......
there duaas will bring lots of blessing and
barkaah to you......:) :) ;) :) :):biggrin: :rolleyes:

fendi_ibrahim

Celebrating Birthday is not sunnah, and not in the amal of islam. I'm not a mufti, and my reading about Islam also are not so good like scholar. But, in my humble opinion, halal or haram in this situation is depends on how you celebrate your birthday. If your celebration mix with clearly haram stuff, wasting..so it will be haram then. But, if you celebrate your birthday with Syukoor..and by increasing your iman and amal, by fasting....so it will be a good kind of celebration, and halal. Thats all. Thanks...

But, for clear and convience explaination you need to ask and discuss with the scholar one. Ok. Wallahu-'alam. Wassalam

ibnAbdullah87

You should allways be thankful but you are going to need some proof for singling out your birthday as a day to fast unless it falls upon a day that you normaly fast and Allah knows best.

mr. ok

Dear Shahbaz

:bismillah:

:salam2: my dear brothers and sisters (Muslim & non-Muslims).

Why would anyone want to celebrate their birthday when their a year closer to death?

As we grow up our responsibilities increase. Instead of wasting your money on junk food (candy, chips, cake, & pizza, etc.) feed the poor!

Life is short lets make the best out of it.

barakALLAH fik

br_rizwan

Slave of Almighty

Yeah i just want to remind my brothers and sisters that u have now you left your one year of life and u r starting new year so seek forgiveness and make iman such a way so on the day of judgement we can stand infornt of of ALLAH SWT .

I have not come across to any hadith on this...if any one know let's share with us..

I remember, if im not worng and correct me if im wrong.. The prophet fasts every monday bcoz its the day he was born. hmm.. is it bid'ah as well?

case

salam

why are we getting confused about this.
Every good thing that we do, should be done for the sake of Allah. since Allah has set the clock to our life . we have to find out what those good thing are .
we have to control our ego , and control our desires. if we live a simpler life we have less things to worry about. no disrespect but where does the fasting and all the different things i am reading about come from on your birthday. make it simple, short and sweet since the clock is ticking. feed the poor, pray extra nafal, fast for the sake becoming closer Allah etc. work on your five pillers of Islam and pray and strive until your soul and heart is clean , until you believe that life is given by Allah and Allah will end it . without a doubt Allah knows everyones intentions. may Allah guide us all:SMILY128:

MOHAMMEDFALIQ

well i dont its haram. I have alot of muslim friends who celebrate their birthdays and their parents are ok with it. And the parents are religious muslim parents. I think its ok to sing the birthdaay song and all but after your done with your birthday just pray to allah and thank him for everything.

OnlyOne

Here's what I don't get, after Hajar posted that beautiful information regarding birthdays, how can you guys just sit there and think that it's not haram to celebrate birthdays! When it comes to Islam, it's not about opinion, it's about facts. So don't just sit there and follow something just because you think[/b] it's right, research it and follow it then. Alhumdulillah, Hajar has saved us from that task from what he has posted, yet we sit here blindly following our desires STILL thinking it's ok to celebrate birthday. No wonder our Ummah is so pathetic...

islamicpride

If we're not allowed to celebrate the birthday of our prophet sallallahu alyhi wassalm who is the most special person, how can we celebrate any other person's. This is what the non-believers do and the prophet sallallahu alayhi wassalam has said 'man tashabbahah bi qowmin fa huwa min hum (whosoever imitates a tribe is from amongst them)' we don't want to be from amongst the non-believers so why be like them.

American Muslim

Just Another Slave
i really wish that i hadn't opened this thread. now that i have recieved clarification, i need to follow it. this deen is a knowledge based deen and once you know, you follow, got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.