Mary Magdalene

dianek

Is there any mention of her in the Qu'ran or her possible relations with Jesus? Just curious....thanks!

ShyHijabi

Salaam sister Diane,

The quran teaches that Jesus (pbuh) was not married while on this earth but will when he returns. So frolm a Quranic POV there was no Mary Magdelene or her role was so minor that it was not recorded.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Faisal_01

Art is my Expression
From my understanding she is suppose to be the wife of Jesus /Isa alahis salaam. Have you ever read or seen the movie Da Vinci Code, that was my first time hearing of her when I read the book.

Ahhhhhh Yeah I remember where I heard it now. Yeah I know of the movie but I never watched it.

I'll watch it sometime in the future InshAllah.

Thanks for the reply

:wasalam:

lostlilly07

striving 4 Firadous
Ahhhhhh Yeah I remember where I heard it now. Yeah I know of the movie but I never watched it.

I'll watch it sometime in the future InshAllah.

Thanks for the reply

just remember it is a fiction movie.......speaking for myself.... they had me believing some of it was real......but isn't

nyerekareem

abdur-rahman
:salam2:

i don't think that ISA alayhi salaam, was ever married. i don't think that was part of his mission here on the earth. i never think about it, to be honest. if he was, what does that mean? married or unmarried, he's still one of the greatest prophets of ALLAH SWT. understanding his mission and his prophethood is what's most important to me.

blackivy393

in the christian tradition. it was a woman that was involved in adultery that was about to be stoned that Jesus witnessed to.

kayleigh

Salam,

In Christianity he was never married to Mary Magdalene. Even if in the "gnostic" books, I don't think they were ever married or had a relationship. at least, it wasn't stated explicitly, though some disciples alluded to it and it says Jesus loved her more than all the others. She's not mentioned in Islam. Doesn't mean she didn't exist, but perhaps her role was too small to mention. I believe in Christianity, her main role in the life of Jesus was that she was the one who discovered his empty tomb, if I remember correctly. Obviously this isn't a part of Islam, so her name just doesn't appear.

There's interesting historical evidence to indicate that she existed. I'm sure someone named Mary, of Magdalene, existed during the time of Jesus, but I don't know if she knew him or what role she would have played in his life, if any.

Since the hype and popularity of The da Vinci Code, it's practically a part of non-mainstream, gnostic Christianity these days (usually among younger people) to throw out the Jesus-Mary Magdalene dynamic, like it's an accepted fact. When I was younger I read TONS of books on the topic (and still have them all - they take up an entire book shelf lol). I'll admit that it is a very tantilizing idea, but, I think the evidence is weak overall.

ShyHijabi

in the christian tradition. it was a woman that was involved in adultery that was about to be stoned that Jesus witnessed to.

Salaam,

Actually this is not true. The two women (the one to be stoned and Mary Magdelene) are never called the same person. The adulteress is always nameless and we don't know who she is. The Catholic church began calling them the same person a few centuries ago because they felt Mary Magdelene was being presented with too much power so they needed a way to harm her reputation.

If you go back and read the bible you will see there is never any correlation between the two. I was quite stunned when I foud this out because I had always heard they were one and the same....but there is zero biblical evidence to back this claim.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

abou haytam

Salaam,

Actually this is not true. The two women (the one to be stoned and Mary Magdelene) are never called the same person. The adulteress is always nameless and we don't know who she is. The Catholic church began calling them the same person a few centuries ago because they felt Mary Magdelene was being presented with too much power so they needed a way to harm her reputation.

If you go back and read the bible you will see there is never any correlation between the two. I was quite stunned when I foud this out because I had always heard they were one and the same....but there is zero biblical evidence to back this claim.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

In jesus time, a woman was stoned for adulteress?? can you make it clear and give me reference from bible.

jazak allah khayran

ShyHijabi

In jesus time, a woman was stoned for adulteress?? can you make it clear and give me reference from bible.

jazak allah khayran

Salaam,

This is a story relayed in the Christian Bible (sorry I was unclear). The woman in question was caught committing adultery and the village was surrounding her and prepared to stone her to death. When they asked Jesus (pbuh) how her punishment should be metted out he responded with "He who is without sin may cast the first stone." Since none of them were without sin they dropped their stones and left the woman unharmed. Jesus (pbuh) then told the woman to go and sin no more. John 8:1-11

Mary Magdelene was a friend of Jesus (pbuh) in the Christian bible and one of his first followers. This would put a woman in quite the position of power so the Catholic church began saying they (the adulteress and Mary Magdelene) were one and the same to try and tarnish her reputation....though there is no Christian scripture indicative of this. Just recently the Catholic church issued an apology for calling Mary Magedelene a harlot since there is no indication she was anything but a pious woman.

Wasalaam

~Sarah

AZAM_SIDDIQUI

QURAN IS THE WORD OF ALLAH,THE SUPREME,THE ONE ALLAHUAKBAR ALLAHHOGHAFOOR ALLAHHURAHEEM.ALLAH THE ORIGINATOR OF THE HEAVENS AND THE EARTH AND ALL IN BTW.MAY ALLAH HELP US TO UNDERSTAND JUST AS HE GAVE US THE FACULTY OF UNDERSTANDING.

SEE we live in a commercial society where gossip sells,perversion sells and the hunger for profit makes people forget whereto draw the line so they sell vanity fair type gossip stories about the prophet of god.so no wonder they dont understand why muslims make so much fuss abouT a cartoon. God's curse be upon them,.for spreading slander about the prophets of the One who will not allow a drop of water in their thirstythroats in hell.{may Allah save me for i know best what i deserve}.
we need To refirm our belief that quran is Allahs will for us .so it is very direct and strict with straightforward examples from Someone Whose very right is an exlusive right to be obeyed.
Allah taala does not offer discounts in his sovereignitY.
at one place in surah kahf the prophetPBUH is reprimanded for saying something" i will tell u tomorrow" without adding "if ALLAH wills"
IN a similar way Allah sas about ppl who say jesus was god 'that if I had destroyed him who is there who would have sved him.
in deed the first commandment is 'and i am a jealous God"
So i just wanna sy that sexuall denied priests cooked these stories and added them to the already strange compilation called bible.
the word of Allah is too pure and Allah tooo high to mention anyone with name .only the prophets have been mentioned by name in quran.because they excelled and were chosen ones.only woman mentioned in quran by name is MARY,the chaste.

"And indeed after having exhorted (man), We have laid it down in all the books of Divine wisdom that My righteous servants shall inherit the earth."
(Surah al-Anbiyaa, 21:1O5).

ShyHijabi

Salaam Azam,

I am perplexed at what point you are trying to make? The sister asked about Mary Magdelene and if she had a place in the Quran to which we assured her there was no record of her. This doesn't mean she didn't exist or even if she was a follower of Jesus (pbuh) but that her role was not significant to his message.

The DaVinci Code was simply a work of fiction and the Catholic church (the sex deprived priests you mentioned) never backed it as truthful...as a matter of fact is was criticised by the Catholic church as blantant frabrication.

Could you please clarify the point you were trying to make so I can better understand your point of view?

Wasalaam

~Sarah

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,

Please remember that the stories of the Bible were compiled almost four centuries after the fact. Please keep in mind the majority of the new testament is heavily based on Pauline Doctrine. Many books were not included for political reasons.
However, as Muslims we are taught to respect the Injil. We have to respect the Word of Allah.
Many authors prior to the Da Vinici Code have fostered a relationship between Mary Magdalene and the Jesus figure. It was simple to digest and allowed for the Romanization of Christianity.
It is not necessary for us to know about the existence of Mary Magdalene. In some Christian tradition she is the one who washed the feet of the prophet with her hair. She was a believer and her story gave many sinners hope.
In Islam we are fortuante as we have the hadits to give us examples of sinners getting salvation.

blackivy393

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die."

Leviticus 20:10 "If a man commits adultery with another man's wife--with the wife of his neighbor--both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death."

ShyHijabi

Salaam Black Ivy,

Can you expand upon this verse? Why did you post the verse? What context does it have to this discussion? Thank you in advance!

Wasalaam

~Sarah

blackivy393

oh someone had asked where are the scriptures in the bible that talked about killing someone who comitted adultery