Night Prayer

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

just one more reminder for me and all the brother and sisters in these days of Ramadan (KEEP US IN YOUR DUAA)

Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) reported that the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: “Our Lord descends every night to the lowest heaven, when only one third of the night has remained. He says: “Who will invoke Me, so that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness, so that I may forgive him.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim] In another report, he adds: “Then Allah extends His Hand and says: “Who wants to invest (good deeds) with the One who is not wasteful or unjust?” He continues to say this until the dawn arrives.” [Saheeh Muslim]

Jabir (radhi allahu anhu) reported, the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saying: “There is an hour of the night which no Muslim person encounters and asks for a good thing for this life or the Hereafter, but Allah grants it to him. This happens every night.”

Jabir (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) saying, “There is an hour in the night, in which no Muslim servant will implore Allah for good in this world and the next without giving it to him, and that applies to every night.” (Reported by Muslim)

Even if we pray just 2 rakkah before fajir or before we go to sleep if in case we can not wake up in the middle of the night wallahi Allah well accept our du'aa

Aa'ishah (radhi allahu anha) reported the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saying: “The most beloved deeds to Allah are the most constant, even if they were little.” [Saheeh al-Bukharee and Saheeh Muslim

May Allah Help us all inshallah and dont forget us in your duaa

Wa salaam alikom

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam Alaykum

Jazakallah khair brother...

A post here to help the brothers and sisters with the night prayer 'Tahajjud'...jazakallah khair:)

Tahajjud Prayer is part of the Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), which Muslims are preferred to follow all the time.

In his famous work, Fiqh As-Sunnah, Sheikh Sayyid Sabiq elaborates on the subject as follows:

Ordering His Messenger to perform Tahajjud, Allah Almighty says what means:

*{And during a part of the night, pray Tahajjud beyond what is incumbent on you; maybe your Lord will raise you to a position of great glory.}* (Al-Israa’ 17:79)

This order, although it was specifically directed to the Prophet, also refers to all Muslims, since the Prophet is a perfect example and guide for us in all matters.

Moreover, performing Tahajjud Prayers regularly qualifies one as one of the righteous and makes one earn Allah's bounty and mercy. In praising those who perform the late night Prayers, Allah says what means:

*{And they who pass the night prostrating themselves before their Lord and standing.}* (Al-Furqan 25:64)

Next to these Qur’anic verses, there also exist a number of hadiths that reinforce the importance of Tahajjud.

`Abdullah ibn As-Salam reported:

“When the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) came to Madinah, the people gathered around him and I was one of them. I looked at his face and understood that it was not the face of a liar. The first words I heard him say were: ‘O people, spread the salutations, feed the people, keep the ties of kinship, and pray during the night while the others sleep, and you will enter Paradise in peace.’” (Narrated by At-Tirmidhi.)

Salman Al-Farsi quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Observe the night Prayer; it was the practice of the righteous before you and it brings you closer to your Lord and it is penance for evil deeds and erases the sins and repels disease from the body.”

Etiquette of Prayer

The following acts are recommended for one who wishes to perform the Tahajjud Prayer:

* Upon going to sleep, one should make the intention to perform the Prayers. Abu Ad-Darda' quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Whoever goes to his bed with the intention of getting up and praying during the night, but, being overcome by sleep, fails to do that, he will have recorded for him what he has intended, and his sleep will be reckoned as a charity (an act of mercy) for him from his Lord.” (Reported by An-Nasa'i and Ibn Majah.)

* On waking up, it is recommended that one wipes the face, use a toothbrush, and look to the sky and make the supplication which has been reported from the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him):

“O Allah! There is no god but You. Glory be to You. I seek Your forgiveness for my sins, and I ask for Your mercy. O Allah, increase my knowledge and let my heart not swerve after You have guided me, and bestow mercy upon me from Yourself. All praise be to Allah, Who has given us back life after our death, and unto Him is the resurrection.”

* One should begin with two quick rak`ahs and then one may pray whatever one wishes after that. `A’ishah said:

“When the Prophet prayed during the late-night, he would begin his Prayers with two quick rak`ahs.” (Reported by Muslim.)

* It is recommended that one wakes up one's family, for Abu Hurayrah quoted the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“May Allah bless the man who gets up during the night to pray and wakes up his wife and who, if she refuses to get up, sprinkles water on her face. And may Allah bless the woman who gets up during the night to pray and wakes up her husband and who, if he refuses, sprinkles water on his face.”

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) also said:

“If a man wakes his wife and prays during the night or they pray two rak`ahs together, they will be recorded among those (men and women) who (constantly) make remembrance of Allah.” (Reported by Abu Dawud.)

* If one gets sleepy while performing Tahajjud, one should sleep. This is based on the hadith narrated by `A’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her), who quoted Allah’s Messenger as saying:

“When one of you gets up during the night for Prayer and his Qur’anic recital gets mixed up to the extent that he does not know what he says, he should lie down.” (Reported by Muslim.)

Recommended Time for Tahajjud

Tahajjud may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the latter part of the night, but after the obligatory `Isha’ Prayer (night Prayer).

While describing the Prophet’s way of performing Prayer, Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

“If we wanted to see him praying during the night, we could see him praying. If we wanted to see him sleeping during the night, we could see him sleeping. And sometimes he would fast for so many days that we thought he would not leave fasting throughout that month. And sometimes he would not fast (for so many days) that we thought he would not fast during that month.” (Reported by Ahmad, Al-Bukhari, and An-Nasa’i.)

Commenting on this subject, Ibn Hajar says:

“There was no specific time in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) would perform his late night Prayer; but he used to do whatever was easiest for him.”

Best Time for Tahajjud

It is best to delay this Prayer to the last third portion of the night. Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: ‘Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?’” (Reported by Al-Bukhari.)

`Amr ibn Abasah (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that he heard the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) saying:

“The closest that a slave comes to his Lord is during the middle of the latter portion of the night. If you can be among those who remember Allah the Exalted One at that time, then do so.”

The Number of Rak`ahs in Tahajjud

Tahajjud Prayer does not entail a specific number of rak`ahs that must be performed, nor is there any maximum limit that may be performed. It would be fulfilled even if one prayed just one rak`ah of Witr after `Isha’.

Samurah ibn Jundub (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

“The Messenger of Allah ordered us to pray during the night, a little or a lot, and to make the last of the Prayer the Witr Prayer.” (Related by At-Tabarani and Al-Bazzar.)

Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) quoted Allah’s Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) as saying:

“Prayer in my mosque is equal to ten thousand Prayers (elsewhere). And Prayer in the Sacred Mosque is equivalent to one hundred thousand Prayers (elsewhere). And Prayer in the battlefield is equivalent to one million Prayers (elsewhere). And what is more than all of that is two rak`ahs performed by a servant (of Allah) during the middle of the night.” (Reported by Abu Ash-Shaikh, Ibn Hibban in his work Ath-Thawab.)

masihuddin

Night Prayer in Ramadhan

:bismillah: :salam2: During the month of Ramadhan can one pray Tahajjud after offering Taraweeh prayers and in case one can do so should one ppay Witr after Tahajjud or after Taraweeh Iwill request our learned brothers and sisters to throw light on this subject

Kayote

Mrmuslim & Muslima80, I cannot thank you enough for such information.

Its so beautiful & certainly lift ones spirit to know how close Allah is & how many times he helps.

WaAliekum Assalam

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
:bismillah: :salam2: During the month of Ramadhan can one pray Tahajjud after offering Taraweeh prayers and in case one can do so should one ppay Witr after Tahajjud or after Taraweeh Iwill request our learned brothers and sisters to throw light on this subject

Wa alaykum salaam

Jazakallah khayr bro kayote n bro masihuddin...

Yes bro masihuddin you can pray tahajjud after tarawee prayer if you are unable to pray before fajr....Best time to pray tahajjud is the last part of the night....before fajr..

The prophet (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) prayed the witr after the tarawee with the tahajjud prayer...

The number of rak’ahs is eleven, and it is preferable in our opinion not to exceed this number, following the practice of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), because he never did more than that in his life. ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was asked about how he prayed in Ramadaan. She said, “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) never prayed more than eleven rak’ahs (of qiyaam), whether during Ramadaan or any other time. He would pray four, and don’t ask me how beautiful or how long they were. Then he would pray four, and don’t ask me how beautiful or how long they were. Then he would pray three.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari, Muslim and others).

A person may do less than that, even if it is only one rak’ah of witr, because of the evidence that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did this and spoke about it.

With regard to him doing it: ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) was asked how many rak’ahs the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray in witr? She said, “He used to pray four and three, or six and three, or ten and three. He never used to pray less than seven, or more than thirteen.” (Reported by Abu Dawood, Ahmad and others).

With regard to him speaking about it, he said: “Witr is true, so whoever wishes can pray five, and whoever wishes can pray three, and whoever wishes can pray one.”

Tahajjud prayer is prayer performed after sleep at night. One should take the means to get up for tahajjud, because of the great reward mentioned regarding it in the Qur'an and Prophetic teachings. If you don't think you can get up one night because of an excuse such as travel, sickness, or the like, then you should pray what you normally pray for tahajjud before sleep. In general, nafl prayers at night (even before sleep) have more reward than nafl prayers during the day.
:salam2:

Ghareebah

Bint Abdulkadir
:salam2: :jazaak:

just one quick question..someone said they heard that the taraweeh is form of tahajuud prayer...so im confused..what should i pray after i finish taraweeh prayer in the mosque and come back home?..what is recommended...:jazaak:

ibnAbdullah87

:bismillah:

Here are some narration from the great Imams and scholars of the past to encourage you to stand in the night while others are sleeping. It may seem like a lot to read but it is worth it.

Qiyam al-Layl (The night prayer) & The Salaf as-Saaleh (righteous
predecessors)

‘Abd-Allaah ibn Wahb said: “Every type of pleasure is enjoyed only
once, except for acts of worship, which are enjoyed three times:
when you do it, when you remember it, and when you are given the
reward for it.”

Yahyaa ibn Mu’aadh said: “The medicine of the heart is five things:
reading Qur’aan and pondering the meaning, having an empty stomach,
praying at night (qiyaam al-layl), beseeching Allaah at the time of
suhoor, and keeping company with righteous people.”

Thaabit al-Banaani said: “There is nothing I enjoy more than qiyaam

al-layl.”

Yazeed al-Riqaashi said: “A lot of tahajjud brings delight to the
worshippers, and a lot of thirst (i.e., fasting), brings joy when
they meet Allaah.”

Mukhallad ibn Husayn said: “I never woke up at night except I saw
Ibraaheem ibn Adham remembering Allaah and praying, and this made
me depressed, so I consoled myself with this aayah (interpretation
of the meaning): ‘…That is the Grace of Allaahm which He bestows on
whom He pleases. And Allaah is the Owner of Great Bounty’
[al-Hadeed 54:21].”

Abu ‘Aasim al-Nabeel said: “Abu Haneefah used to be called al-Watad
(pole or pillar) because he prayed so much.”

Al-Qaasim ibn Ma’een said: “Abu Haneefah spent an entire night in
qiyaam reciting this aayah (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Nay,
but the Hour is their appointed time (for their full recompense),
and the Hour will be more grievous and more bitter’ [al-Qamar
54:46], repeating it and weeping, beseeching Allaah until morning
came.”

Ibraaheem ibn Shammaas said: “I used to see Ahmad ibn Hanbal
staying up at night to pray when he was a young man.”

Abu Bakr al-Marwadhi said: “I was with Imaam Ahmad for nearly four
months in the army, and he never stopped praying qiyaam at night or
reading Qur’aan during the day, and I never knew when he completed
the Qur’aan, because he kept that secret.”

Imaam al-Bukhaari used to pray qiyaam and tahajjud at night until
the time of suhoor, and he would read between a half and a third of
the Qur’aan, and complete it at suhoor every third night.

Al-‘Allaamah Ibn ‘Abd al-Haadi said, describing the qiyaam of
Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah: “At night he would keep away from
people, and spend that time only with his Lord, beseeching Him
continually and reciting Qur’aan, repeating different kinds of acts
of worship by night and by day. When he began to pray, his body
would start to tremble, leaning to the left and right.”

Ibn Rajab said concerning his shaykh Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim: “He was a
man of worship, tahajjud and lengthy prayers. I have never seen his
equal in worship and knowledge of the Qur’aan, hadeeth and
principles of faith.”

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said, describing his shaykh al-Haafiz
al-‘Iraaqi: “I stayed with him, and I never saw him forsake qiyaam
al-layl: it was like a habit for him.”Sleeping in a state of
tahaarah (purity). We have already quoted the hadeeth of al-Baraa’
ibn ‘Aazib (may Allaah be pleased with him), in which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “When you go to
bed, do wudoo’ as if for prayer.” (Agreed upon).

Mu’aad ibn Jabal (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There
is no Muslim who goes to sleep remembering Allaah and in a state of
purity, and when he turns over he asks Allaah for good in this
world and the next, but it will be given to him.” (Reported by Abu
Dawood and Ahmad. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5754).

Ibn ‘Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with them both) reported that
the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“Purify these bodies and Allaah will purify you, for there is no
slave who goes to sleep in a state of purity but an angel spends
the night with him, and every time he turns over, [the angel] says,
‘O Allaah, forgive Your slave, for he went to bed in a state of
purity.’” (Reported by al-Tabaraani. Al-Mundhiri said, its isnaad
is jaayid. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 3831).Going to sleep early. Sleeping
straight after ‘Ishaa’ is the advice of the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him), and a good and healthy habit. One
of the ahaadeeth that describe its virtues was narrated by Abu
Barzah al-Aslami (may
Allaah be pleased with him) who said that the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to prefer to delay ‘Ishaa’,
and he did not like to sleep before it or talk after it. (Reported
by al-Bukhaari).

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar reported that al-Qaadi ‘Ayaad said, concerning
the phrase “He did not like to sleep before it”: “Because that
could lead to one praying it too late, or delaying it until after
the preferred time, and talking after it could lead to one sleeping
before Fajr and missing it, or missing qiyaam al-layl.”

Ibn Raafi’ said: “ ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased
with him) used to wave his stick at the people when darkness fell,
and would say, ‘Get up and go, may Allaah help you to pray qiyaam
at night!’”

‘Ali ibn Bakkaar (may Allaah have mercy on him) used to have a
slave-woman who would spread out his bed for him, and he would
touch it with his hand and say: “By Allaah, you are good, and by
Allaah you are cool, but by Allaah I will not rest on you tonight.”
Then he would get up and pray qiyaam until Fajr.

Also, one should not sleep too much or too deeply. Ibraaheem ibn
Adham said: “If you are sleeping at night, and running about during
the day, and always committing sin, how can you earn the pleasure
of the One Who is directing your affairs?”Anas (may Allaah be
pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings
of Allaah be upon him) said: “Take a nap, for the shayaateen do not
take naps.” (Reported by al-Tabaraani. Al-Saheehah, 2647).

Ishaaq ibn ‘Abd-Allaah said: “Taking a nap is one of the deeds of
good people. It revitalizes the heart and helps one to pray qiyaam
al-layl.”

Al-Hasan al-Basri passed by a group of people in the marketplace in
the middle of the day, and heard the racket they were making. He
said, “Do these people take a nap?” It was said to him, “No.” He
said, “I think their nights must be bad.”

Sufyaan al-Thawri said: “You should eat little, so that you will be
able to pray qiyaam al-layl.”

Ma’qal ibn Habeeb saw some people eating a lot, and said, ‘I do not
think that our companions want to pray qiyaam al-layl.”

Wahb ibn Munbih said: “There is no son of Adam dearer to his
shaytaan than the one who eats and sleeps a lot.”

“Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and
hope, and they spend (charity in Allaah’s Cause) out of what We
have bestowed on them” [al-Sajdah 32:16]

Fadaalah ibn ‘Ubayd (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that
the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The
mujaahid is the one who strives against his own self for the sake
of Allaah.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibbaan. Al-Saheehah,
549).

According to the hadeeth of ‘Uqbah ibn ‘Aamir (may Allaah be
pleased with him), the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be
upon him) said: “When a man from my ummah gets up to pray at night,
striving against his own self to get up and purify himself, there
are knots on him. When he washes his hands in wudoo’, one knot is
undone. When he washes his face, another knot is undone. When he
wipes his head another knot is undone. When he washes his feet,
another knot is undone. Then Allaah says to those who are veiled
(in the Unseen): ‘Look at this slave of Mine, he is striving
against his own self and asking of Me. Whatever My slave asks of Me
shall be his.” (Reported by Ahmad and Ibn Hibaan. Saheeh
al-Targheeb, 627).

Muhammad ibn al-Munkadir said: “I struggled against my own self for
forty years until it became right.” Thaabit al-Banaani said: “I
struggled for twenty years to make myself pray qiyaam al-layl, and
I enjoyed it (qiyaam al-layl) for twenty years.” ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd
al-‘Azeez said: “The best of deeds are those which we force
ourselves to do.” ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Mubaarak said: “The souls of
righteous people in the past used to push them to do good deeds,
but our souls do not do what we want them to do except by force, so
we have to force them.” Qutaadah said: “O son of Adam, if you do
not want to do any good except when you have the energy for it,
then your nature is more inclined towards boredom and laziness. The
true believer is the one who pushes himself.”

A man said to Ibraaheem ibn Adham, “I cannot pray qiyaam al-layl,
so tell me the cure for this.” He said, “Do not commit sin during
the day, and He will help you to stand before Him at night, for
your standing before Him at night is one of the greatest honours,
and the sinner does not deserve that honour.”

A man said to al-Hasan al-Basri: “”O Abu Sa’eed, I sleep in good
health, and I love to pray qiyaam al-layl, and I prepare water with
which to purify myself, so why can I not get up?” Al-Hasan said:
“Your sins are restricting you.” He said, may Allaah have mercy on
him, “The slave who commits a sin will be denied the opportunity to
pray qiyaam at night and to fast during the day.”

Al-Fudayl ibn ‘Ayaad said: “If you cannot pray qiyaam al-layl, or
fast during the day, know that you are indeed deprived and
restricted, chained by your sins.”

13 – Checking oneself and rebuking oneself for not praying qiyaam
al-layl. Checking oneself is one of the signs of the righteous and
truthful. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “O you who
believe! Fear Allaah and keep your duty to Him. And let every
person look to what he has sent forth for the morrow, and fear
Allaah. Verily, Allaah is All-Aware of what you do.” [al-Hashr
59:18].

Imaam Ibn al-Qayyim said: “If the slave is responsible and
accountable for everything, even his hearing, sight and innermost
thoughts, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning), ‘…Verily,
the hearing, and the sight, and the heart of each of you will be
questioned by Allaah’ [al-Isra’ 17:36], then he should check on
himself before he is brought to account.”

Qiyaam al-layl is an act of worship that connects the heart to
Allaah, may He be exalted, and enables it to overcome the
temptations of life and to strive against one’s own self, at the
time when voices are stilled, eyes are closed in sleep, and
sleepers are tossing and turning in their beds. Therefore qiyaam
al-layl is one of the measures of sincere determination and one of
the qualities of those who have great ambitions. Allaah has praised
them and distinguished them from others in the Qur’aan, where He
says (interpretation of the meaning): “Is one who is obedient to
Allaah, prostrating himself or standing (in prayer) during the
hours of the night, fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the Mercy
of his Lord (like one who disbelieves)? Say: ‘Are those who know
equal to those who know not?’ It is only men of understanding who
will remember.” [al-Zumar 39:9]

Qiyaam al-layl is “sunnah mu’akkadah” (confirmed Sunnah), which the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urged us to do
when he said, “You should pray qiyaam al-layl, for it is the habit
of the righteous people who came before you, and it will bring you
closer to your Lord, expiate for bad deeds, prevent sin, and expel
disease from the body.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi and Ahmad).

According to a hadeeth, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah
be upon him) said: “The best of prayers after the prescribed
prayers is qiyaam al-layl.” The Prophet (peace and blessings of
Allaah be upon him) always had the habit of praying qiyaam al-layl,
and never gave it up, whether he was travelling or staying at home.
Even though he, among all the sons of Adam, would be the one to
have all his past and future sins forgiven, he prayed qiyaam
al-layl until his feet became swollen, and when he was asked about
that, he said, “Should I not be a grateful slave?” (Agreed upon).

This is how the noble salaf were, may Allaah have mercy upon them.
Abu’l-Darda’ (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Pray two
rak’ahs in the darkness of the night for the darkness of the
grave.” Ahmad ibn Harb said: “I am astonished at people who know
that the delights of Paradise lie above them and the horrors of
Hell lie beneath them. How can they sleep in between them?”

When ‘Umar ibn Dharr saw that night had come, he would say: “Night
has come, and night has dignity, and Allaah is most deserving of
reverence.”

For this reason, al-Fudayl ibn ‘Ayaad said: “I met some people who
feel ashamed before Allaah to sleep for too long in the depths of
the night. Such a person may be resting on his side, and when he
moves, he says to himself, ‘This is not your right. Get up and take
your share of the Hereafter.’”

Al-Hasan said: “We do not know of any deed more difficult than the
struggle to stay up at night or to spend money.” It was said to
him, “Why do the mutahajjadeen (those who pray Tahajjud at night)
have the most beautiful faces?” He said, “Because they spend time
alone with the Most Merciful, so He adorns them with some of His
light.”

Urwah ibn al-Zubayr said: “I came to ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be
pleased with her) one day to greet her, and I found her praying and
reciting the aayah (interpretation of the meaning), ‘But Allaah has
been gracious to us, and has saved us from the torment of the Fire’
[al-Toor 52:27], repeating it and weeping. I waited for her, but I
got bored of waiting, so I went to the market for some things I
needed, then I came back to ‘Aa’ishah, and she was still praying
and reciting this aayah and weeping.”

Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Jibreel
said to me, ‘Go back to Hafsah, for she fasts a lot and prays a lot
at night (qiyaam al-layl).’” (Reported by al-Haakim, Saheeh
al-Jaami’, 4227).

Mu’aadhah al-‘Adawiyyah, one of the righteous Taabi’aat spent her
wedding night, along with her husband Silah ibn Ashyam, praying
until Fajr. When her husband and son were killed in the land of
jihaad, she would spend the whole night in prayer, worshipping and
beseeching Allaah, and she would sleep during the day. If she felt
sleepy whilst she was praying at night, she would tell herself: “O
soul, there is plenty of sleep ahead of you.”

When Habeebah al-‘Adawiyyah prayed ‘Ishaa’, she would stand on the
roof of her house, wearing her chemise and khimaar (i.e., covered
in proper Islamic dress), then she would say, “O my God, the stars
have come out, people have gone to sleep, and kings have closed
their doors, but Your door is open. Every lover is alone with his
lover, but here I am standing before You.” Then she would start to
pray and talk to her Lord until the time of suhoor. When the time
of suhoor came, she would say, “O Allaah, this night is ending, the
day is coming, and I wish I knew whether you have accepted this
night (of worship) from me, so that I could congratulate myself, or
if it has been rejected, so that I might console myself.”

‘Amrah, the wife of Habeeb al-‘Ajami, prayed qiyaam al-layl one
night whilst her husband was asleep. When the time for suhoor came,
and her husband was still asleep, she woke him up and said to him,
“Get up, my master, for the night has gone, the day has come and
ahead of you lies a long road with little provision, and a small
group of righteous people who have gone before us, and we are still
here.”

“And be afraid of the Day when you shall be brought back to Allaah.”

[2:281]

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
:salam2: :jazaak:

just one quick question..someone said they heard that the taraweeh is form of tahajuud prayer...so im confused..what should i pray after i finish taraweeh prayer in the mosque and come back home?..what is recommended...:jazaak:

salaaam alikom
Tarraweeh is a qiyam al-layl before you go to sleep while tahajuud is prayers after you wake up from sleep and pray tahajuud

when you return home you can pray in the middle of the night if you can wake up at the third of the night qiyam al-layl.

The recommended time for tahajjud qiyam al-layl

Salatul Layil may be performed in the early part of the night, the middle part of the night, or the latter part of the night, but after the obligatory salatul 'isha.
It is best to delay this prayer to the last third portion of the night. Abu Hurairah reports that the Messenger of Allah said: "Our Lord descends to the lowest heaven during the last third of the night, inquiring: 'Who will call on Me so that I may respond to him? Who is asking something of Me so I may give it to him? Who is asking for My forgiveness so I may forgive him?"' This is related by the group.

sunnah of the tahajjud prayers[/B
]
The following acts are sunnah for one who wishes to perform the tahajjud prayers. Upon going to sleep, one should make the intention to perform the tahajjud prayers. Abu ad-Darda' relates that the Prophet sallallahu alehi wasallam said: "Whoever goes to his bed with the intention of getting up and praying during the night, and sleep overcomes him until the moming comes, he will have recorded for him what he had intended, and his sleep will be a charity for him from his Lord."

One should begin Qiyam al-Layil with two quick rak'at and then one may pray whatever one wishes after that. 'Aishah says: "When the Prophet prayed during the late-night, he would begin his prayers with two quick rak'at." Both of these reports are related by Muslim.

'Amr ibn Abasah reports that he heard the Prophet say: "The closest that a slave comes to his Lord is during the middle of the latter portion of the night. If you can be among those who remember Allah, the Exalted One, at that time then do so." This is related by al-Hakim who grades it sahih according to Muslim's standards, and at-Tirmizhi calls it hasan sahih. AnNasa'i and Ibn Khuzaimah also recorded it.

Abu Muslim asked Abu Zharr: "Which late-night prayer is the best?" He said: "I asked the Messenger of Allah the same that you asked me and he said, 'The (one done during) middle of the latter half of the night, and very few do it.'" This is related by Ahmad with a good chain.

'Abdullah ibn 'Amr reports that the Prophet said: "The most beloved fast to Allah is the fast of David. And the most beloved prayer to Allah is the prayer of David. He would sleep half of the night and then pray during the next third of the night and then sleep during the last sixth of the night. And he would fast one day and not fast the next." This is related by the group except at-Tirmizhi

stop praying tahajjud and sleep if one becomes very sleepy​

One should stop praying tahajjud and sleep if one becomes very sleepy
'Aishah reports that the Messenger of Allah said: "When one of you gets up during the night for prayer and his Qur'anic recital becomes confused to the extent that he does not know what he says, he should lie down." This is related by Muslim.

Anas narrates that the Messenger of Allah entered the mosque and saw a rope stretching between two posts. He asked: "What is this?" The people told him that it was for Zainab [bint Jahsh] who, when she became tired or weary, held it (to keep standing for the prayer). The Prophet said: "Remove the rope. You should pray as long as you feel active, and when you get tired or weary, you should lie down to rest." This is related by al-Bukhari and Muslim

BUT DONT FORGET US IN YOUR DU'AA​
wa salaam alikom

yasmin623

Witr

Is it ok to perform Witr after Traweeh and Tahajjud after waking up in midnight? Someone said Witr should be after Tahajjud and be the last prayer of the night.

fendi_ibrahim

In my view, witr only can do once in a day. If you did after Traweeh, then you don't need to perform it again after Tahajjud.Ok. wassalam

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
Is it ok to perform Witr after Traweeh and Tahajjud after waking up in midnight? Someone said Witr should be after Tahajjud and be the last prayer of the night.

salaam alikom

Some people, when they pray witr with the imaam and he says salaam, they get up and do another rakaah, because they want to do more prayers before praying witr later in the night. What is the ruling on this action? Is it considered to be forsaking the prayer with the imaam?

Praise be to Allaah.

We do not see anything wrong with this, and the ulama stated that there is nothing wrong with doing this, so that his witr will be at the end of the night. He will be considered to have prayed with the imaam until he finished, because he stayed with him until he finished, and added another rakah for a shar'i reason, which was so that he could pray witr later in the night. There is nothing wrong with this, and it does not mean that he did not stay with the imaam until he finished, but he did not finish with him he delayed it a little longer,

From al-Jawaab al-Saheeh min Ahkaam Salaat al-Layl wa�l-Taraaweeh by Shaykh �Abd al-�Azeez ibn Baaz, p. 41

From above it permissible to pray witr with Imam or if you want to delay it and pray it later @ night its permissible too . So even if you pray witr with Imam you can pray tahjud with out witr.

JUST DONT FORGET US IN YOUR DU'AA
wa salaam alikom

fitnahfree

I know very little arabic

As Salaamu Alaykum,

My dearest brothers and sisters in Islam,

I am in need of some information regarding Salatul Tahajuud and the Witr prayer. I am an english speaking muslim that knows very little arabic and only a few short surahs. My question is, while praying the night prayer is it permissible to read from the quran in english and during Salatul Witr may I read the Qunnoot dua in english. I truly would like to learn the language Insha Allah, but for now I am trying to get the most benefit from the salat Insha Allah.:salah:

Shishani

Staff member

As Salaamu Alaykum,

My dearest brothers and sisters in Islam,

I am in need of some information regarding Salatul Tahajuud and the Witr prayer. I am an english speaking muslim that knows very little arabic and only a few short surahs. My question is, while praying the night prayer is it permissible to read from the quran in english and during Salatul Witr may I read the Qunnoot dua in english. I truly would like to learn the language Insha Allah, but for now I am trying to get the most benefit from the salat Insha Allah.:salah:

Wa`alaykum as-Salaam brother.

You can't read/recite the Qur'an in an other language. It is Arabic, and you're not allowed to change anything of it.
But I don't know about the du`a.
Wa-LLAHU a`lam.

And here, a good site about salaah (is from a book of shaykh Al-Albaanee (rah'imahullah)):
http://www.qss.org/articles/salah/toc.html

And here about wudu: http://www.qss.org/articles/wudoo/wudoo_ToC.html

PS: :jazaak: for posting info about Tahajjud to some people here. :)

fitnahfree

Limitations on the number of rakats

As Salaamu Alaykum...Shukran for the answer to my question...Now my next question is...If you only can recite limited Quran without understanding the translation or interpretation of the surah...How then do you gain the benifit...It becomes just a motion...and your concentration and focus is lost...Therefore, If I want to make more rakat I must repeat the same surahs over and over...I guess what I am asking how can a non-arabic speaking person benefit from understanding what is said in the salat...Not the fard...:salah:

fitnahfree

He would vehemently emphasise the importance of this soorah, saying: "There is no prayer for the one who did not recite [in it] the opening chapter [at least]"129, and in another saying: That prayer is not sufficient in which a man does not recite the Opening of the Book130. He also said: He who performs a prayer in which he does not recite the Opening of the Book, then it (i.e. the prayer) is deficient, it is deficient, it is deficient, incomplete.

This does not emphasize the surahs to follow:salah:

BintMuhammad

Staff member

As Salaamu Alaykum...Shukran for the answer to my question...Now my next question is...If you only can recite limited Quran without understanding the translation or interpretation of the surah...How then do you gain the benifit...It becomes just a motion...and your concentration and focus is lost...Therefore, If I want to make more rakat I must repeat the same surahs over and over...I guess what I am asking how can a non-arabic speaking person benefit from understanding what is said in the salat...Not the fard...:salah:

Will a person be rewarded for reading Qur’aan even if he does not know the meaning of what he reads?

Question:
I always read Qur’aan but I do not understand the meanings… will I be rewarded by Allaah for that?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The Holy Qur’aan is blessed, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“(This is) a Book (the Qur’aan) which We have sent down to you, full of blessings that they may ponder over its Verses, and that men of understanding may remember.”[Saad 38:29]

A man will be rewarded for reading it whether he understands its meanings or not… But the believer should not read the Qur’aan without understanding at the time when he is responsible for his actions. If a person wants to learn medicine, for example, and studies medical books, he cannot learn anything from them unless he understands what they mean and it is explained to him. Indeed, he would very keen to understand what they say so that he can put it into practice. So how about the Book of Allaah which is healing for what is in people’s hearts and exhortation for all people? What about a person who reads it and does not understand or ponder its meanings? The Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) would not go beyond ten aayaat until they had learnt them and understood the knowledge therein and how to act upon it. A person will be rewarded for reading Qur’aan whether or not he understands it, but he should try his best to find out what it means and to seek this knowledge from scholars who can be trusted. If he cannot easily find a scholar from whom he can learn, he should refer to reliable books of Tafseer such as Tafseer Ibn Jareer, Tafseer Ibn Katheer, and others. And Allaah knows best.

From the Fataawaa of Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=4040&ln=eng

Sulikha

Tawakal-Allal-Allah
MashaAllah

I was into salatul-layl these days, this is very helpful to me.

To all who post those beuatiful and helpful infor. are deeply thanked. May Allah bless you and grant to you all in Janatul-Firdows.

:wasalam: