Empire State Building in NYC celebrates Eid?!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

The following is from VOA (Voice of America) News:

Empire State Building to Go Green for Eid-al-Fitr
[IMG=right]http://www.jonzucker.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/empire-state.jpg[/IMG]
By VOA News
11 October 2007

New York's Empire State Building will be lit up in green this week to honor the Muslim holiday Eid-al-Fitr.

This is the first time the building will be illuminated for the festival. Eid-al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan and is expected to begin Friday.

Officials say the green lighting will become an annual event, following the tradition of colored lights at the tower to mark the Christian holiday Christmas and the Jewish celebration of Hannukah.

In Islam, the color green symbolizes a happy occasion.

The Empire State Building dominates the New York skyline, and once again became the city's tallest building when the World Trade Center Towers were destroyed by al-Qaida in 2001.

Some information for this report was provided by AFP, AP and Reuters.

Source: http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-10-11-voa32.cfm

The following is the lighting schedule of the Empire State Building, taken from their official website. Please take special note of the parts I coloured red:

Upcoming Tower Lighting Schedule

Date Colors Occasion

October 05 -
October 07, 2007 Red/White/Green* Columbus Citizens Foundation - Columbus Day Parade

October 08, 2007 Blue/Blue/Blue* Giants Team Colors - Winner of the Jets/Giants game

October 09, 2007 Green/Green/Green* New York Restoration Project and NYC Parks Department - Million Trees NYC

October 10 -
October 11, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

October 12 -
October 14, 2007 Green/Green/Green* Eid-al-Fitr

October 15, 2007 Orange/Orange/White* Food Bank NYC - NYC Goes Orange

October 16 -
October 17, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

October 18, 2007 Yellow/Yellow/Yellow* The Afterschool Alliance - Lights On Afterschool

October 19 -
October 21, 2007 Purple/Purple/White* Alzheimer's Association - 2007 Memory Walk

October 22, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

October 23, 2007 Blue/Blue/White* Poly Prep Country Day School

October 24 -
October 28, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

October 29, 2007 Purple/Red/Red* The G&P Foundation for Cancer Research - Angel Ball

October 30, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

October 31, 2007 Orange/Black/White* Village Halloween Parade - 34th Annual New York Village Halloween Parade

November 01, 2007 Blue/Pink/Blue* March of Dimes - Prematurity Awareness Month

November 02 -
November 04, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

November 05 -
November 06, 2007 Red/White/Blue* Election Day

November 07 -
November 08, 2007 White/White/White* ESB Lighting

November 21 -
November 25, 2007 Red/Orange/Yellow* Thanksgiving

December 05 -
December 12, 2007 Blue/White/Blue* Chanukah

December 21 -
January 06, 2008 Red/Green//White* Christmas

* Colors are listed from bottom to top as they appear from the street

Source: http://www.esbnyc.com/tourism/tourism_lightingschedule.cfm

Please read my position regarding using some positive statements or actions by non Muslims to remove the distortion against Islam in the West. It's point no. 4, found in the following post [post #14 of the thread "US Congress passes Ramadan Bill View Single Post "]:

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showpost.php?p=122845&postcount=14

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

samiha

---------
Staff member
:salam2:

That's interesting... :) I like green and the lighting looks neat - course I won't get to see it but it's the thought that counts right?

Well anyways regardless of lighting or otherwise ... alhamdulillah to be granted the Mercy of Eid.. May Allah accept it from us and you ...

p.s. Brother Bluegazer - i hope you don't mind the picture I added, you can remove if you want to, i just thought it would bring things into color...

wasalam

Bluegazer

Thank you, sister samiha, for adding the picture.

You're right. The post does actually look better with the picture.

Aminah 4 Allah

I beleive in Allah
Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters,

Alhumdulilah this is amazing!!! I think the Empire State Building being lit up for Eid al-Fitr is a real blessing from Allah swt. What an opportunity for all the Muslims in America to make dawah. The picture is a wonderful addition Sr. Samiha it really shows how prominent the ESB is in the NYC skyline.

Razazeez you are right that we do not know who 'really' destroyed the WTC. This was a quote from the VOA News so not somthing that our brother Bluegazer was stating. Inshallah one day the truth will come out and Allah swt will expose what really took place.

May Allah swt be happy with us all.

Wassalam,
Aminah :hijbi:

Asalaamalikum,

Jazakallah khair brother. A beautiful way to inform, help reduce tensions and bring Muslims and non-Muslims closer.

P.S. Does anyone know if the U.S. postal office is selling Eid stamps? I know they did a couple of years ago.

shaheeda35

strive4Jannah
:salam2:
Subhanallah, I live in New York and did not even know that!! At least they are recognizing our holiday, alhamdullilah!! I do believe they do still have the Eid stamps. Jazakallahu Khairan for sharing!!:blackhijab:

BintMuhammad

Staff member
Assalamu alaikum,

Mashaa'Allaah the building looks really nice. It looks like a Glow-in-the-dark toy :D It feels great to hear that some non-Muslim world are cooperating and recognizing the Muslims. Here in our country, Eid is always a regular holiday under Presidential Proclamation 1397.

ama6621

Asalaamalikum,

Jazakallah khair brother. A beautiful way to inform, help reduce tensions and bring Muslims and non-Muslims closer.

P.S. Does anyone know if the U.S. postal office is selling Eid stamps? I know they did a couple of years ago.

Assalam Alaikum, Yes the USPS is still selling the Eid stamps. They do have the new 41C ones. and personally I think they look so much prettier and elegant than regular or other holiday stamps.

Assalam Alaikum

Assalam Alaikum, Yes the USPS is still selling the Eid stamps. They do have the new 41C ones. and personally I think they look so much prettier and elegant than regular or other holiday stamps.

Assalam Alaikum

Salaamalikum,

Jazakallah khair. Here is the 41 cent Eid stamp. They produced 40 million!

]
stamp.jpg

http://www.usps.com/communications/newsroom/2007/sr07_041.htm