With Love and Respect, from Canada

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
Hello there,

Thank you for taking the time to read what I'd like to say. Please be merciful towards me, for this is my prayer to Allah, as I am about to tell you many things about myself - good and bad. Pardon me, please, if any of my language or thoughts are offensive in any manner. I wish only to be honest with myself and with you. May I also say that I am about to speak at great lengths, and will not be offended if you choose to only reply to certain paragraphs of this... essay to Islam. =)

My name is Brandon, and I have lived a very strange but blessed life. I am now nearly 23 years old, and was born in Alberta, Canada to two other Canadians with heritage to Europe due to my grandparents and great-grandparents. Now, in the year 2006, I concider myself and whatever family Allah blesses me with as being truly Canadian - my ties to Europe and its history are merely a formality. I am proud of Canada's title as Peacekeeper and Peacemaker, and intend to devote my whole life to Allah, peace, and humanity.

The first four years of my life were spent on Vancouver Island - A beautiful, bountiful, and peaceful place in Canada on the far West coast, on the Pacific Ocean. I remember being at peace, free, and aware of the pressence of God in everything. However, during the 1980's there was a series of layoffs in the oil and gas industry - which my father was affected by. We were forced to sell our logcabin home and find a new path in life. My father chose to find work overseas; First in Europe, then in America, then in the Middle East, then in the Far East, then back in Europe, and finally back to Canada - all of this lasted from 4 until I was 17yrs old.

Friends, I have truly seen the whole world and on a very detailed level. My father found work with Shell International, a Dutch oil company that has been a dominant energy force for decades.

We were very wealthy; All of our needs and desires were met, and there was bearly ever a time when we were without. Of course, for my parents it was never enough; They always seemed to need more money, more possesions, a faster car, bigger garage ... you get the idea. We were never a religious family in any sense of the word, other than the fact that my mother ackowledged that there was infact a "God".

When I was 6 years old I was sent to a private boarding school in Wales, UK. Shell International paid for everything. Fortunately it was a Methodist Christian school and at 7 years old, I swore an oath of brotherhood to Jesus Christ - and he's been my rolemodel and inner companion ever since.

You see, I'm a Gentile - my ancestors were Pagans, ignorant, and believed in all sorts of nonsense and superstition. For me to grow up in a Christian environment was a true blessing from Allah. I am not a Jew, or an Arab - and so my origins to Allah are less direct than for many of you. Perhaps this heritage is not as respectable as some, and surely some of the lessons I was taught were misguided, but nonetheless I was finding my way onto the straight path to our One True God.

I am pleased to report that I do not suffer from ChristInsanity - I was told many times that "Jesus is Lord" - or "in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" - or that praying to Mary would be a good idea to repent for any sins - but my reasonable mind refused to accept these things. And it has only been through education and self-awareness that I have come to understand these revelations. I AM a Christian, but do not suffer from ChristInsanity - praise be to God.

And so it was for me - A blessed life from 6 until 16 in this British boarding school. I learnt many things about many things, some helpful and others harmful, during my time in the UK. Over the holidays (Christmas, Easter, and Summer) I would be taxied to the airport and fly to far away places to visit with my family. Specifically and in order: Holland, Oman, France, Malaysia, Holland, France, America. It should also be noted that I visited many other countries on my and my family's travels, but these were the places I called "home".

At 17 years old I returned to Canada along with my family, and for the first time in my life it was as if I was a "normal" kid, living with their parents and going to school. This was not a happy time for me, though, because many conflicts soon happened within our family. We had never before lived together as a single family unit, and it was something of a shock to all of us.

I did not handle the situation very well. My family's greed and ungodliness sickened me, and I began to rebel. First, I became depressed. I stopped going to classes and started smoking - cigarettes and marijuanna. Truth be told, I had experimented with both when I was in the UK, but when I came to Canada and clashed with my family as badly as I did I became a regular smoker. Soon I dropped out of Highschool, moved out of home to my own humble apartment, and got a job (still at 17).

Then something terrible happened. Something that noone who is alive today will ever be able to forget: September 11th, 2001.

I was supposed to go to work that day. Every other day I had gone to work and was quite happy with the new, independant path I had chosen. But not on that day. On 9/11 I stayed home in my apartment, fixated on the television - watching over and over as 1 and then 2 planes thundered into New York's "World Trade Centre". The terror I felt that day I will perhaps never be able to properly describe. I did not know the full story, nor did I trust what CNN, ABC, or any other media outlet was telling me as absolute truth. I prayed to God over and over that day, because something inside me was deathly afraid. I wasn't afraid of Muslim terrorists, and I wasn't afriad of airplanes - I was afraid that the End Times, the Day of Judgement was coming. This wasn't just an instinctual fear, but every aspect of me - my education, my religion, my spirit, my feelings, even my body trembled for what was to come...

And I was right to have been afraid.

For now 5 years I have wandered. For 5 years I have asked questions, and paid very close attention. For 5 years I have been a slave to fear, judgement, and awareness. I have barely worked. I have been disfunctional in this world. I have sinned, sometimes quite terribly and I have much to be ashamed of. But for all 5 years, even though I have sometimes wondered if God had abandoned me and my people, I have had faith. Faith in God and His plan. I have trusted in Him, and He has guided and protected me. He has even enlightened me, whispering sweet revelations in my ear like riddles to the mind; guiding and inspiring me. And for the last two years I have sworn an oath of self-imposed poverty, an experience I never had before and am grateful for.

I would like to say that I am now no longer afraid, but I cannot lie to my Muslim brothers and sisters in humanity. I am afriad, still. Afraid of what George Bush's America will do next; Afraid of what sinister powers rise up in Europe; Afraid for my life and the wellbeing of others. I think I am very brave, even though I have fear - brave enough to have the courage to stand up against this New World Order; this new system of economics, goverment, politics, and religion. Unfortunately I am still only 22 and do not have enough understanding or inner-power to really change our world for the better; I pray to Allah daily that he will make me strong enough one day, and before it's too late.

I don't know what else to say. I guess that pretty much sums things up, for me and for now.

I do have many questions for you who are truly Muslims; perhaps you would extend some kindness in answering me?

1.) I have a... feeling that I would like to be a Muslim, but I have some concerns. You see, like I told you before, I have done some terrible things and even today I continue to do some of them. Even today I have not fully repented to God or to the people I've hurt. I want to repent, but at the same time I also want to keep smoking, to hide my sins away, and to forget. Can you relate to this, please?

2.) I do not want to let go of my "Christian" title... it is important to me. Very important. Without Jesus in my life, I would be just another Pagan... or worse. I might not be perfect now, and perhaps my religion is partly to blame, but I KNOW that MANY Christians pray to the same God in the same respectful and faithful way as Muslims do - though perhaps not as disciplined. I will not abandon Jesus, nor will I renounce Christianity as a whole. Is this a problem?

3.) I am not an Arab and your culture is alien to me - if not fascinating. Your people do not look like me. Your history is so different than mine, though we all are tied together through Abraham. Would you accept me as a brother?

4.) I am currently engaged to a Christian young woman. We've been together for four years. She loves me dearly, and truthfully I love her too - But then, I love SO many people, in different ways. Anyway, I must confess that we have had premarital relations... Lots of them, and the situation has become evermore complicated as a result. She has expressed more than usual respect and interest in Islam, and I believe it possible that if I revert she will also. However, a part of me is not happy in this relationship. I recognise what we have done is sinful and inappropriate - that it has complicated our lives and gone against the word of God. Something else strange has been happening for me more recently too - I have begun to concider myself in a relationship/marriage with other women... I even concider Arabic Muslim women. I cannot help but admire your women in a way I haven't done all my life. Dare I say, I even find the Hijaab attractive - because I KNOW the quality and potential character of Muslim women and society. It is difficult to explain much further, and perhaps it's best that I don't. Would you please, mercifully express some of your thoughts on this subject?

5.) I am confused about my "career" - what to do with my life. I live in Alberta, the richest and most resourceful Province in the whole of Canada. We have a booming oil and gas industry, and truly all levels of our society are growing strong. I have a mind to work for the oil companies for a few years to gain more life experience and to be rewarded with quite a lot of money - so that I can pay for a University education, so that I can avoid being a slave to "mortgage" and quickly own my own home, and to have some finances available to serve the will of God and to provide a beginning for a family. However, I am aware that burning oil and gas is killing our planet; I am aware that oil and gas has a heavy role in America's war in the Middle East. I feel there is some evil in the industry. What are some of your thoughts on this issue? Can I take advantage of my Province's natural rescources and oppourtunities as well as serve God, not $$$?

Thank you for concidering my introduction; I appretiate your time and your thoughts, perhaps more than you know. May Allah continue to bless and guide us all.

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Islam

Hello Brandon, you are more than welcome here. Its always nice to see people come to learn and discuss in a sincere way.

I read your story it was a good introduction. However there were some points about Islam which you raised that i need to clarify for you.

I am not a Jew, or an Arab - and so my origins to Allah are less direct than for many of you......................

I am not an Arab and your culture is alien to me - if not fascinating. Your people do not look like me. Your history is so different than mine, though we all are tied together through Abraham. Would you accept me as a brother?

Islam is not based on Race. Islam is a message to all mankind, to sumbit themselves to worshipping Allah alone. He is the only one God, the sole creator of the universe. To be a Muslim, you must simply believe that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is his final Messenger.

Majority of the people on this forum are not Arabs. Infact, many are European or American like yourself. Islam does not discriminate race, culture or background.

Infact, Arabs represent are the minority in the Muslim world, there are many more Muslims in Indonesia, India, China, Russia and also Europe. There are predominantly Muslim countries in Europe such as Bosnia and Albania.

Allah says in the Quran:

"O mankind, verily We have created you from a male and a female, and made you peoples and tribes, so that you may recognize each other. Verily, the most honored of you to Allah is (he who) safeguards himself against evil with full awareness of Divine Laws. Verily, Allah is All-Knowing, All-Aware." [Surah Al Hujurat (49): ayah 13]

The Messenger of Allah (saaw) said, narrated by At-Tirmidhi and Abu
Dawud,

"There are indeed people who boast of their dead ancestors; but in the sight of Allah they are more contemptible than the black beetle that rolls a piece of dung with its nose. Behold, Allah has removed from you the arrogance of the Time of Jahiliyyah (Ignorance) with its boast of ancestral glories. Man is but an Allah-fearing believer or an unfortunate sinner. All people are the children of Adam, and Adam was created out of dust."

Also the Prophet :saw: said:

"Undoubtedly Allah has removed from you the pride of arrogance of the age of Jahilliyah (ignorance) and the glorification of ancestors. Now people are of two kinds. Either believers who are aware or transgressors who do wrong. You are all the children of Adam and Adam was made of clay. People should give up their pride in nations because that is a coal from the coals of Hell-fire. If they do not give this up Allah (swt) will consider them lower than the lowly worm which pushes itself through Khara (dung)." [Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi]

It was also transmitted, in two different versions, by Ibn al-Mubarak in his two books, Al-Birr and As-Salah,that some disagreement occurred between Abu Dharr and Bilal and Abu Dharr said to Bilal, "You son of a black woman." The Messenger of Allah (saaw) was extremely upset by Abu Dharr's comment, so he (saaw) rebuked him by saying,

"That is too much, Abu Dharr. He who has a white mother has no advantage which makes him better than the son of a black mother."

This rebuke had a profound effect on Abu Dharr, who then put his head on the ground swearing that he would not raise it until Bilal had put his foot over it.

The Prophet :saw: Also said:
"An Arab is no better than a non-Arab. In return, a non-Arab is no better than an Arab. A red raced man was not better than a black one except in piety. Mankind are all Adam's children and Adam was created out of clay."
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim, on the authority of Abu Musa]

The Prophet :saw: ensured that his companions were all equal. He gave the freed black Ethiopian slave Bilal, the great position of being the Muezzin (caller to the prayer) of the Muslims. He also had companions who were not Arab, such as Suhaib al Rumi (Suhaib the Roman) and Salman al Farsi (Salman the Persian).

Consider for a moment that the Prophet :saw: came from the most noble family of the tribe of Quraish. He was nephew of the most Elder and respected Chief of the Tribe. He was from a family of great power and prestige..... At that time 1400 years ago, no man would have called a black ethiopian slave "his brother"... The Prophet :saw: in all his compassion and wisdom which God gave him, taught the people humanity and compassion.

The Prophet :saw: also said:
"Every Muslim is a brother to a Muslim, neither wronging him nor allowing him to be wronged. And if anyone helps his brother in need, Allah will help him in his own need; and if anyone removes a calamity from [another] Muslim, Allah will remove from him some of the calamities of the Day of Resurrection; and if anyone shields [another] Muslim from disgrace, Allah will shield him from the disgrace on the Day of Resurrection." [Al-Bukhari
and Muslim, on the authority of `Abd Allah ibn `Umar]

As for leaving Christianity and not calling yourself a Christian. There is no need to be worried by this. Firstly, Isa (Jesus) peace be upon him, never called himself a Christian. The word Christian is something that came long time after the Prophet Isa (Jesus).

Islam is not a new religion! It is a message. A message to believe in only Allah and to worship him alone without associating any partners with him!. It is a simple and clear message that God revealed to mankind for many generations through his Prophets. From Adam through to Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus and finally Muhammad :saw:. Muhammad :saw: was final seal of the Prophets. A Muslim is someone who follows Islam. i.e. submits to God and worships him alone. Abraham, Jesus and all the Prophets were therfore Muslims.

The Quran was the miracle revealed unto Muhammad :saw:. Never changing, forever perfectly preserved and beyond comparison, direct revelation from God. In it is the clear message of worshipping Allah alone without associating any partners with him. A clarification of where the Christian people went astray and associated partners with Allah by adding and taking away from the bible and innovating in the religion. So much so, that nowadays many Christians ask help from Mary or from Jesus who many call "God". For example, the Catholics say their "Hail Marys" and they pray to Mary, Jesus or any of the many saints that they have. - This is not what Jesus taught nor is it what God wanted.

I am pleased to report that I do not suffer from ChristInsanity - I was told many times that "Jesus is Lord" - or "in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" - or that praying to Mary would be a good idea to repent for any sins - but my reasonable mind refused to accept these things. And it has only been through education and self-awareness that I have come to understand these revelations. I AM a Christian, but do not suffer from ChristInsanity - praise be to God

Alhamdulilah, All praise is to Allah, you are already well on your way to Islam. MashaAllah. Thats correct, we only need to pray to God. He is the all powerful, the all hearing, he will hear the prayers of all, from the weakest and most poverty stricken to the rich and powerful. Everyone has the chance to access God through their prayers.

"The Religion in the sight of Allah is Islam." (Qur'an 3:19)

In another verse of the Holy Qur'an, Allah states:
"If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (Submission to Allah), Never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter he will be in the ranks of those who have lost." (Qur'an 3:85)

The correct way to do so is by Islam. For Islam is the perfect and only Message which shows people

1.) I have a... feeling that I would like to be a Muslim, but I have some concerns. You see, like I told you before, I have done some terrible things and even today I continue to do some of them. Even today I have not fully repented to God or to the people I've hurt. I want to repent, but at the same time I also want to keep smoking, to hide my sins away, and to forget. Can you relate to this, please?

Allah accepts all sincere repentance. Smoking is forbidden and a sin, but this should not be a reason not to become Muslim. You simply have to take the Shahada, testimony of Faith that there is no God except Allah and Muhammad is his Messenger.

After this you can work on any problems that you may have, and inshaAllah it will get easier once your Iman Faith goes up.

{And let not those among you who are blessed with graces and wealth swear not to give (any sort of help) to their kinsmen, Al-Masâkîn (the poor), and those who left their homes for Allâh's Cause. Let them pardon and forgive. Do you not love that Allâh should forgive you? And Allâh is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.} The Noble Qur'an - An-Nur 24:22

{And obey Allâh and the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) that you may obtain mercy. And march forth in the way (which leads to) forgiveness from your Lord, and for Paradise as wide as are the heavens and the earth, prepared for Al-Muttaqûn (the pious - see V.2:2).} The Noble Qur'an - Al-'Imran 3:132-133

Allah also said:​

"O son of Adam, so long as you call upon Me and ask of Me, I shall forgive you for what you have done, and I shall not mind. O son of Adam, were your sins to reach the clouds of the sky and were you then to ask forgiveness of Me, I would forgive you. O son of Adam, were you to come to Me with sins nearly as great as the earth and were you then to face Me, ascribing no partner to Me, I would bring you forgiveness nearly as great at it." Hadith - Qudsi 34

{Kind words and forgiving of faults are better than Sadaqah (charity) followed by injury. And Allâh is Rich (Free of all wants) and He is Most-Forbearing.} The Noble Qur'an - 2:263

Hadith - Bukhari 1.796, Narrated Abu Huraira I asked Allah's Apostle (saaws) to teach me an invocation so that I may invoke Allah with it in my prayer. He told me to say, "Allahumma inni zalumtu nafsi zulman kathiran, Wala yaghfirudhdhunuba illa anta faghfirli maghfiratan min 'Indika, war-hamni innaka antal-ghafururrahim (O Allah! I have done great injustice to myself and none except You forgives sins, so please forgive me and be Merciful to me as You are the Forgiver, the Merciful)."

Hadith - Sahih Muslim (3/1340) and Ahmad (2/367)
The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, “Indeed Allah is pleased with three things: That you worship Allah alone without associating any partner along with Him; that you hold fast altogether to the Rope of Allah and not to become split-up; and that you give sincere advise to whomever Allah put in charge of your affairs.”​

--------------
4.) I am currently engaged to a Christian young woman. We've been together for four years. She loves me dearly, and truthfully I love her too - But then, I love SO many people, in different ways. Anyway, I must confess that we have had premarital relations... Lots of them, and the situation has become evermore complicated as a result. She has expressed more than usual respect and interest in Islam, and I believe it possible that if I revert she will also.

As for your partner. (am not sure if you are married or not). If you become Muslim you can still be with her if she is your wife. You are allowed to marry Christian or a Jew as they are people of the book. Its permissible, although better that you marry a Muslim woman.

Something else strange has been happening for me more recently too - I have begun to concider myself in a relationship/marriage with other women... I even concider Arabic Muslim women. I cannot help but admire your women in a way I haven't done all my life.

The fact that she is inclined towards Islam is really good. MashaAllah. If you both become Muslim then this issue is not a problem because she can wear the Hijab. Allah forgives all sins that a person may have done in their past. For a person who enters into Islam. All their previous sins are forgiven, it is like the day that they had been born.

but admire your women in a way I haven't done all my life
Perhaps this was worded wrong ? but i will clarify anyway, muslim women are not owned by anyone. Women are their own free individuals in Islam. Who have choice in marriage and their wealth and who can stipulate any agreement in their marriage contracts fpr their own happiness.

Dare I say, I even find the Hijaab attractive - because I KNOW the quality and potential character of Muslim women and society. It is difficult to explain much further, and perhaps it's best that I don't. Would you please, mercifully express some of your thoughts on this subject?

Both Muslim men and women are given instruction on how to live their life. To give respect to each other, to their family, their parents, to their neighbours and to people of other backgrounds and faiths. Islam gives us complete and perfect way of life which every Muslim should implement in order to to emulate the Prophet :saw: and try to have the best character. So, in this way not just Muslim women are special but men need to have many qualities too.

I think that inshaAllah if you become Muslim and your partner does too, and you marry then this will be the greatest thing. As you mention that she loves you already, InshaAllah you will be able to learn About Islam together and help each other.

Your last point about working in oil/gas, is a personal choice and I dont want to delve into politics. Looking after the environment and our planet is important for Muslims too. I dont think you working for a petroleum company is a bad choice, seeing that everyone's taxes go to paying for wars unfortunately. Maybe you should get some experience and work in a Muslim country which have good opportunities such as UAE, Malaysia etc.

I hope this reply was helpful, if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Look forward to seeing you again. :)

duran

Hey Brandon welcome to the site

I think brother Mabsoot said what I should say,,,Jazaka Allah bro

Brandon u again welcome

~duran~

Ahmed ibn Ibrahim

alhamdulilah
I'm now a Muslim =)

:salam2:

I just wanted to drop a quick note to you guys to let you know that I mustered the courage to go to a Mosque - infact, it is the 1st Mosque in North America (praise God) - and WOW what a perfect experience. Surely Allah guided every moment. I was introduced to all of the brothers there during prayer, and repeated in Arabic the testamony with the help of our Imam. We sat and talked before the formal Sallah, so I understood exactly what I was saying in Arabic.

And so, brothers and sisters, here I am!

It would appear that my fiance and I will both revert and soon we will marry, InshaAllah! =) It will be a remarkable thing, for two Westerners who have been devout Christians for 15+ years, and InshaAllah together we will bear witness to the truth through our words, thoughts, and actions for all to understand.

Anyway, I can't stay long tonight. Tomorrow after work I will return to the Mosque - there are some brothers there from BC who are making a sort of pilgramage who have been extremely receptive towards me. They have even offered for me to stay with them for a few days at the Mosque so that I can learn more and more about Islam and what it is to be a Muslim, as well as many other things. InshaAllah I will stay with them until Friday, so that when Ramadan begins on Monday I will be fully aware, and a proper Muslim. =)

I hope you are all well and that your day today is another blessing. =)

bluey

Alahmdulillah Brother Brandon - We welcome yuo with all the love of Islam , and that of your fiance. May you both be Blessed bu Almighty Allah Ta'ala and find the true beauty of ISLAM. Ameen.

:)

Kayote

Masha'Allah thats so wonderful a news!!! Congrates on choosing the right path! May Allah continue to guide you (& us :D) to the right path.

:wasalam:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum Brandon :) Welcome Bro

MashaAllah, this is really great news. May Allah bless you and your wife-to-be :biggrin:.

I was wondering what you were thinking, and where your reply was... as it was a few days since i had written my reply.

I hope that you will find things easy inshaAllah. May Allah help you and your family so that you can attain peace and satisfaction in this life and the next.

Look forward to hearing more from you soon,

If you have any questions feel free to ask here, we'll help you inshaAllah.

Fundamental Beliefs in Islam, TAwheed and Aqeedah

wasalam.

Umm Aysha

*Strive for Jannah*
Asalaam alaykum

:ma: that is wonderful news...Im so happy allah swt has guided you towards the straight path.

I pray to allah swt for you and your fiance the best for future insha-allah, and make your life easy for you..

Welcome brother to islam...

Assalamo Alaikom
Thank's to Allah, good news brother Brandon.
May Allah help you and your family incha'Allah.
Wa Alaikoum Assalam wa Rahmato Allah wa barakatuh

Abul Harith

Staff member
Asalam Alaikom to you bro Brandon... :)

Masha'allah Brandon I am so happy for you. May Allah bless you in this life and the next....and the same for your fiance too.

May you both share much in way of happiness and success :) Insha'allah !

Let us know how you get on. We're all here to help should you need us :)

Wasalam

Kayote

Assalam-u-Alliekum,

Brandon, you are full of good news. Masha'Allah.

May Allah continue to guide you. Amen.

Salam

tofikzaian

salam alykom my friend for me i see so many referted muslim some take it seriouse and start change thier life easy and soon and some need help may be coz they convert for another reason by forcing of some thing or pushing by some one ,
and for u to know the message come from GOD is only one Message belive in one GOD so if the christian belive in one GOD they are true and they have to follow the teaching of Jesus that told them to belive in the prophet that will come after him , we as mulsim belive in all the prophet as u know ,
and for the relationship u are sinner and she is too in the christianity its also adultry ,, try to stop it as soon as possible and never do it again its a big sin , and if she will not convert to islam u still can marry her as long as she is christian or Jew . but my brother pray and go to the masjed and pray there may Allah will light ur way

Slave Of Ar-Ra7MaN

#Islam #Oreos
salaamz

:ma: that is a great news brother Brandon:)
Alhamdulilah that ALLAH swt has guided u to da Right path and may HE continue to guide us all Ameen
Welcome to TTI site and insha'ALLAH u will benefit alot of stuff!
hope u enjoy ur stayin
ur sister in ISLAM
wassalaamu 3aleykom!:)