Erdogan, a great Islamic figure

Rawa

Receb Tayyib Erdogan, a great Islamic figure

Early life:
Erdoğan was born in Kasımpaşa, Istanbul. His family was descended from Georgian immigrants who settled from Batum to Rize. (He announced his origins during his visit to Georgia in 2004. Erdoğan spent his early childhood in Rize before returning to Istanbul at the age of 13. He spent most of his childhood selling simit on the streets of Istanbul before he received some education at a religious İmam Hatip school and at Marmara University's Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences (İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi). Erdoğan played semi-professional football in a local neighbourhood club for 16 years
Joining politics:
During late 1970s, Erdoğan worked for Istanbul's municipal transport company, the IETT. He became active in politics with the National Salvation Party (Milli Selâmet Partisi), which was led by Necmettin Erbakan.
Turkey witnessed political tensions during the late 1970s, which were particularly marked by right-wing and left-wing armed conflicts that led to the 1980 Turkish coup d'état. The coup d'état disbanded political parties, including the National Salvation Party. Necmettin Erbakan was charged and brought into military courts. After the coup d'état, Erdoğan left the IETT and worked in the private sector. He performed his mandatory military service in 1982 as a commissioned officer.
The political party system was restored in 1983. Necmettin Erbakan was banned from politics by the coup authors. The former members of National Salvation Party founded the Welfare Party (Refah Partisi). Erdoğan re-entered politics through this new party.
He became the party chairman in Istanbul Province in the 1985 local elections and stood for Mayor of Beyoğlu district. He did not win the local elections. The party nominated Erdoğan as a candidate for Parliament from the central Istanbul area several times during the late 1980s. Erdoğan did not win enough votes until 1991. In 1991, the party passed the 10% threshold necessary to gain seats in the parliament for the first time.
Erdoğan was elected as a Member of Parliament from Istanbul Province; however, this was withdrawn by the High Electoral Committee due to the then-existing voting system.

Mayor of Istanbul 1994:
In the 27 March 1994 local elections, Erdoğan was hand-picked by Erbakan for his oratory skills and was selected to stand for mayor. The Welfare Party became the largest party in Turkey for the first time, and Erdoğan became Mayor of Greater Istanbul as well as President of the Greater Istanbul Metropolitan Council.
As Mayor of Istanbul, he made a name for himself as a populistic, effective administrator. As the mayor of the country's most populous city, he become one of Turkey's most popular politicians. Like his predecessors, he worked on building up Istanbul's infrastructure and transportation grid. He is also cited for beautifying the city.
During this period Turkish Islamist politics entered a period of chaos. Erdoğan added somewhat to the divide when, in 1995, he commented that New Year celebrations were a habit adopted by secularists, and not a legitimate cause for celebration in his opinion. Erdoğan also stated that shaking hands with people of the opposite sex was a social habit.

1998 imprisonment:
Erdoğan's Islamist sympathies earned him a conviction in 1998.As Mayor of Istanbul, Erdogan was the most prominent of 200 mayors and other local officials in Turkey; because he was a national figure and hero to millions of Islamic-oriented voters, his case drew considerable attention.
In 1997, the Welfare Party was declared unconstitutional and was shut down on the grounds of threatening the secular nature of the state. In 1998, Erdoğan become a constant speaker at the demonstrations held by his colleagues from the banned Welfare Party. Secularism in Turkey has been taken very seriously since the establishment of the state with Kemalist ideology as its guiding principle. In line with the Atatürk's Reforms, the Constitution of Turkey states that laïcité, social equality, and equality before law are the main and unchangeable characteristics of the Turkey. Kemalist ideology also adopted the position of "public reason", which claimed that activities falling outside of the private sphere should be secular and no religious group should be given permission to dominate over other belief systems. Any activity or promotion of domination over other belief systems are felt to fall under the somewhat controversial concept of "incitement to religious hatred", which has been part of the Turkish constitution since its establishment. The "religious hatred" concept has been used against the movements that promoted the reestablishment of the abolished Ottoman Caliphate and Islamic fundamentalist positions. There is no question that Erdoğan is pro-Islamic (he calls himself a religious conservative) but the extent of his position towards the fundamentally secular nature of the state was called into question on 12 December 1997 at a public meeting in Siirt in Eastern Anatolia. In his speech, Erdoğan identified Turkish society as having "two fundamentally different camps" – those who blindly follow the Atatürk's Reforms [seculars] and the Muslims who unite Islam with Sharia. He publicly read a well-known an Islamic poem including modified lines

Erdogan's modified beginning Original beginning
"Mosques are our barracks,
domes our helmets,
minarets our bayonets,
believers our soldiers.
This holy army guards my religion.
Almighty our journey is our destiny,
the end is martyrdom.
—Erdogan's version.
. "Holding my rifle in my hand, keeping my faith in my heart,
I wish two things: The faith and the homeland.
My home is the army, my sovereign is the Sultan:
Strengthen my Sultan, Almighty Give him long life,
Almighty our journey is our victory,
the end is martyrdom.
—"Asker Duasi" [Prayer of the Soldier] by Ziya Gökalp[8].

Erdogan kept the rest of the poem true to the original, except that he omitted a stanza that praised the Ottoman army. The original (unmodified) poem "Asker Duası" was published in 1913 in "Towards to the People" (Halka Doğru). The poem was written during the Balkan Wars and had been meant to boost military morale. a law upheld by the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Human Rights as "legitimate" on November 10, 2005 in Leyla Şahin v. Turkey. Erdogan was prepared to dispense with the judiciary altogether by angrily declaring, "The court has no right to speak on this issue. That right belongs to the ulema (clerics)", when this appeal was rejected.

Economy
Erdoğan's success story is keeping the economy on the track designated by World Bank economist Kemal Derviş. Erdoğan supported Ali Babacan in enforcing Derviş's macro-economic policies. Erdoğan did not cut the relations with international monetary control systems in favour of a more protectionist economy. The AK Party did quite well in almost all areas of the economy apart from the budget deficit. Erdoğan said that during this premiership the economy's average growth rate was 7.3%, that per capita annual income had almost doubled, and that all these were related to his economic reforms and the pursuit of European Union membership.

Education and health
Ahmet Necdet Sezer claimed at a speech in the War Academy that "religious fundamentalism has reached dramatic proportions" and that Islamic fundamentalism "is trying to infiltrate politics, education and the state, it is systematically eroding values". Erdoğan responded to this by arguing, "Religious people also have a right to politics. If you want to keep the faithful out of politics, the people will never forgive you".
Concerning birth control, Erdoğan had said that he personally did not practice it and was against it because the future required a dynamic young population.
Erdogan does not drink alcohol and as the mayor of Istanbul, he had restricted use of alcohol in public restaurants. During his premiership he did not bring forward a nationwide law to restrict the use of alcohol. He did however, progressively increase the taxes imposed on tobacco and alcohol during his tenure out of line with other consumer products, under the name "special consumption tax" (özel tüketim vergisi). This move led to reduced consumption of alcohol and tobacco products in Turkey.
In relation to social policies, Erdoğan frequently paid lip service to the argument that Turkish Social Security is strong but that he wants the same social service treatment that he once had the chance to observe in Germany. On April 2006, Erdoğan unveiled a social security reform package demanded by the International Monetary Fund under a loan deal. Erdoğan claimed that the move, which was passed with fierce opposition, was the one of the most radical reforms. Turkey’s three social security bodies were united under one roof, bringing equal health services and retirement benefits for members of all three bodies. Under the second bill, everyone below the age of 18 will be entitled to free health services, irrespective of whether they pay premiums to any social security organization or not. The bill also envisages a gradual increase in the retirement age. Starting from 2036, the retirement age will eventually increase to 65 as of 2048 for both women and men.

Terrorism and security
Erdoğan gave a speech in New York on 19 December 2006 in which he talked mainly about the good relations between citizens of Turkey who come from different backgrounds by giving an example from his own life. Erdoğan said that he doesn't have any problems with his wife, Emine Erdoğan née Gülbaran (b. 1955 in Siirt), who is of Arab ancestry and originally of a different denomination (Shāfi‘ī/Ash'ari). They have been married since 4 July 1978, and they have two sons (Ahmet Burak, Necmeddin Bilâl) and two daughters (Esra, Sümeyye).
Erdoğan was investigated by Turkish prosecutors for allegedly using the word 'Honourable' (Sayın) when referring to the convicted terrorist PKK leader Abdullah Öcalan in a 2000 interview with SBS Radio.However, in April 2007, the prosecutors decided not to open a case against him, saying they found "no element of criminal offence" in the interview. The PKK is a militant group listed as a terrorist organization internationally by a number of states and organizations, including the USA, NATO, and the EU.
Erdoğan has appointed liberal Muslim theologians to the Department of Religious Affairs.He has promised to crush the country's Islamic militants. Radical Muslim groups are considered a threat to the secular political establishment.
Erdoğan had passed several reforms such as: giving the EU Court of Human Rights supremacy over Turkish courts, diminishing the powers of the 1991 Anti-Terror Law which had constrained Turkey’s democratization, and passing a partial amnesty to reduce penalties faced by many members of the Kurdish terrorist organization PKK who had surrendered to the government.

Foreign policies

EU:
See also: Accession of Turkey to the European Union
Erdoğan made membership in the European Union his primary objective.
In May 2004, he became the first Turkish Prime Minister to visit Greece since 1988, and the first to visit the Turkish minority of Thrace since 1952. The visit was remarkably congenial on both sides, and Erdoğan scored an important victory when his Greek counterpart, Kostas Karamanlis, declared that Greece would support a Turkish bid for European Union membership, a major aim of Erdoğan's administration.

Cyprus
At the beginning of his term, Erdogan backed down on Turkey's traditional national policy on Cyprus. However, according to an editorial in Hürriyet, "Erdogan had not said a single word about his policy and only noted that they were in favor of finding a solution to the problem. He effectively issued a message to Denktas, tacitly warning him that they would have already taught him his place if it were not for their respect for his age and position." Erdoğan supported the Annan Plan for Cyprus.
Erdoğan's ideas regarding the Cyprus issues came closer to the traditional perspective after the failure of 2004 Cypriot reunification referendum. He become more susceptible to critics on sensitive security-related issues upon the fall of Cyprus plan. When Erdoğan met resistance to his Cyprus perspective, he raised questions on the "national policy over Cyprus" claiming that he was toying with ‘different formulations for solution’, and he did not hesitate to make a reversal of his policy. He was criticized on the grounds that international issues do not have much freedom to make mistakes and mistakes are not reversible.

Iraq
Faced with domestic demands to intervene in Iraq against the PKK and in defence of the Turkmens around Kirkuk, Erdoğan pursued a more proactive foreign policy. Erdogan suggested recently that Turkey might intervene, but preferred for the interim to rely on diplomacy.

2007 elections
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan

Presidential election
See also: Republic Protests, Turkish presidential election, 2007, and Turkish constitutional referendum, 2007
On April 14, 2007, an estimated 300,000 people marched in Ankara to protest the possible candidacy of Erdoğan in the 2007 presidential election, afraid that if elected as President of Turkey Erdoğan would alter the secular nature of the Turkish state. Erdoğan announced on April 24, 2007 that the party had decided to nominate Abdullah Gül as the AKP candidate in the presidential election. The protests continued over the next several weeks, with over one million reported at an April 29 rally in Istanbul, tens of thousands reported at separate protests on May 4 in Manisa and Çanakkale, and anywhere from one to two million in İzmir on May 13.
Early parliamentary elections were called after the failure of the parties in parliament to agree on the next Turkish president. At the same time, Erdoğan claimed the failure to select a president is a failure of teh Turkish political system and proposed to change the constitution. The redesign of the position of presidency, moving away from a position that balances powers in the parliament is faced with reaction from the other parties. The final decision will be decided in the Turkish constitutional referendum, 2007.

General elections:
See also: Turkish general election, 2007
Erdoğan called for early general elections. The stage of the elections was set for a fight for legitimacy in the eyes of voters between his government, which has its roots in political Islam, and the country’s secularist movement. Erdoğan used the events at "2007 Presidency elections" as a part of the general election campaign of his party. In the night of July 22, it became obvious that AKP had won an important victory over the opposition.

May Allah succed him ti bring back Islam thinking to the Turkish society, Amen!

Rawa Kurdistani

IbnAlAawam

so proud of him...

erdogan.jpg

as long as i got some information he is a doll of USA.

allahu aalím.

allah knows the best.

but anyway i feel good that the parties who were against islam have not a better chance.

hilmi_a

rawa i wonder where you come from because kürdistan doesn't exist please at least don't do such a thing here I will say more but as I said here is not the place we could talk about this subject. basicofislam is right sister instead of thinking about these people think of the prophet and the sahabies I do not see any benefit he did for Müslims in Turkey more than that his being at the side of jews and bush makes his image more repulsive :astag:

dna1987

Muslim Guy
so proud of him...

erdogan.jpg

Haha, Lol, good post. The article looked long, so I scrolled down to read some of the responses (hoping to find a summarised comment on what is good about him), and this post summed it all up! Haha.
Salam alaikum.

farhopes

No God but Allah
Assalamo alikom

Yes, this picture summed it all up. It also assured my feeling that this era is not the era of good Muslim leaders. It is the era of prevailing personal interests on all sacred principles, the era of those who love the worldly life and its false adornment on the account of the Hereafter. The era of those who compete to gain the false Janah of this world, not the real Janah of the Hereafter. Do you feel like me that you are stranger in this era???

al-fajr

...ism..schism
Staff member
:salam2:
Yes, this picture summed it all up. It also assured my feeling that this era is not the era of good Muslim leaders. It is the era of prevailing personal interests on all sacred principles, the era of those who love the worldly life and its false adornment on the account of the Hereafter. The era of those who compete to gain the false Janah of this world, not the real Janah of the Hereafter. Do you feel like me that you are stranger in this era???

Muslims have always been something weird, the true muslims i mean, not the half muslims, and when i say weird, i mean in a good kind of way, if your strange in the eyes of the kuffar and mushriks and munafiqs then we say alhamdulillah.

I agree with you sister, absolutely, and Muslims have had rough times in the past too...like the sack of Baghdad by the Mongols...the Kaliph (cant rem his name) was tied up in a sack and trampled to death by the mongols....talk about humilation hey? And it was because he preferred this life to the next he had so many riches and he didnt live as a muslim and so, he was humiliated like that.

Well that was before Qutuz :) and Ain Jaloot which shows that, if we act properly, things will work out for us.

All these 'muslim' leaders will be humiliated in some way or another, InshAllah.

Mohsin

abdu'Allah
Assalamu-alaikum

:salam2:

The sister's talk reminds me of this hadith.

This hadeeth was narrated by Muslim from Abu Hurayrah who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Islam began as something strange and will revert to being strange as it began, so give glad tidings to the strangers.”

SabirIslamdost

Erdogan shakes hand with the Israel P.M. Is it a blasphamy?

If so, the Prophet of Islam, peace be up on him, stood up once some people passed by the prophet, peace be up on him, and his followers, holding the dead body of a jewish. The followers said :"Oh the Prophet of Allah, why do you stand up for this dead body, it is a jewsh." The prophet, peace up on him, replied:" But isn't he a human being?!"

Turk Gumption

Selamun Aleykum

Haha, Lol, good post. The article looked long, so I scrolled down to read some of the responses (hoping to find a summarised comment on what is good about him), and this post summed it all up! Haha.
Salam alaikum.

We Aleykum Selam

Bro don't judge anyone when you haven't time to research about him or her please. Becouse Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan many times condemn to Israel .

Some part of his speech in Turkish Parliament ;

“It is not possible for us to approve of the recent inhumane practice in Gaza. Children, civilians are being killed with disproportionate use of force,”

“There is no humane or legal justification for the attacks in Gaza. We, the Turkish Republic, openly condemn Israel's attitude,”

Source 1 2 3

:salam2: sister instead of thinking about these people think of the prophet and the sahabies

Dear bro i completely agree with you. RTE is not a religious leader. He just a democrat politician who express himself as " conservative democrat " (muhafazakar demokrat) . So there is no any benefit to praise his personality and his successful reform in this forum. (Its just my point of view , it could be wrong)

Erdogan shakes hand with the Israel P.M. Is it a blasphamy?

If so, the Prophet of Islam, peace be up on him, stood up once some people passed by the prophet, peace be up on him, and his followers, holding the dead body of a jewish. The followers said :"Oh the Prophet of Allah, why do you stand up for this dead body, it is a jewsh." The prophet, peace up on him, replied:" But isn't he a human being?!"

SabirIslamdost bro. It is good point and good story. I didn't hear it before. Thank you for sharing... I also think that it is not blasphemy to shake non-muslim leader hand or improve trade with non-muslim countries..

safiya58

Yeah I agree with you. But if we muslims would be strong and not "engaged" with this world and would not only think about our own wealth then our politicians would also be better... and the worl would lokk very different...

Salem9022

Erdogan is not an Islamic Leader he is the president of Turkey lets please not exaggerate peoples positions just because some of the people like him. Erdogan is not an Islamic Leader nor is he an Islamic Scholar. We shouldn't focus our selves on politics btw because there will always be people that won't like him from among the Muslims, we should learn about our deen from true Scholars who are the Inheriterss of the Prophet not Presidents of Some countries or who want some political power.

harun

Yeah I agree with you. But if we muslims would be strong and not "engaged" with this world and would not only think about our own wealth then our politicians would also be better... and the worl would lokk very different...

:salam2: I agree with you 100%!
Like in the quran pointed out the meaning "We will change the situation of people first, if they change theirselves"

Therefore it is not fair to look from the point of a perfect man. We should try to "fix" our own faults caused by our nefs, after then our next insha'allah.
Therefore it is not good to talk about politican topics like that.
just time wasting what we could use for better things, insha'allah!
:wasalam:

path_of_salaf

Erdogan is not an Islamic Leader nor is he an Islamic Scholar.

thank you very much...your subject is enough i think.

erdoğan is not an islamic leader or scholar, he is a "democrat/liberal islamic" politician. also a confidence man. he has one god : money, more money !

and his origin is sufii/naqshibendi...

i live in turkey, my country's population nearly 75 million. unfortunately most of the people are ignorent. there is no prayer no islamic rituel. but everyone say "i am muslim" :) secularism is in everywhere... there is no salafi population except a few little groups. turkish people's creed is quburi/sufi superstitions :-(

Mrmuslim

Smile you are @ TTI
Staff member
salaam alikom

#1 I can see mashAllah most of you either experts or getting to the point of deciding who is Muslim now days and who is Not. The sister intention was good this is ,

#2 instead of just calling him names etc, make an excuse for your self in front of Allah and make Duaa for him tha Allah show him the right path, and look how good of a Muslim we are before we point finger at others, BECAUSE if it wasn't for our own sins Muslim wont be in this stage

#3 He is among all Muslims who things they are doing good in their daily life! Now take a moment and think what have we done ? did we helped our own brother and sisters by teaching them the correct Islam?

# Instead of just replying on the posts just for the sake of replying, think before replying how your post will benefit others, it will have good impact or no impact at all, will it start an argument..etc. then post.

May Allah guide him and all Muslims leaders, and guide us first insha Allah, because they are human being like us as we be our leaders will be.

path_of_salaf

did we helped our own brother and sisters by teaching them the correct Islam?

correct islam is not sufizm or democrat-liberal islamic ideology !!! correct islam is ahl sunnah wal jamaa !!!

we dont need harun yahya's so called scientific explanations againist the athesit/darwinist people. quran and sunnah is enough for us. who are we? we are ahl ul hadith :)

Instead of just replying on the posts just for the sake of replying, think before replying how your post will benefit others, it will have good impact or no impact at all, will it start an argument..etc. then post.

i will not argue with my brothers and i know that they will not argue with me...if we are salafi muslims why will we argue with each other?

but we always meet with innovaters. and i think you only defend heretic, anti-sunni groups without a info.

i know erdoğan and his teacher necmettin erdoğan, turgut özal, adnan menderes etc...

they are using ignorant shamanist people's votes and live a good life with billion dollars. i live in turkey and i know my countrys politicians/religious leaders/teologians etc...

i have not to think like you and you have not to think like me...