Who are the Wahhaabis and what is their message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abou haytam

Question:
i have recently come to islam and people have told me to stay away from wahabis, who are they and wht do they preech?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is obligatory upon the Muslim to follow the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), according to the way of the righteous salaf who followed the guidance of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), the Sahaabah and those who followed them – may Allaah be pleased with them all. These people are called Ahl al-Sunnah wa’l-Jamaa’ah (the People of the Sunnah and the Community). Everyone who follows the way brought by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is one of them. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) brought the message of Tawheed (absolute Oneness of Allaah) and rejection of shirk (polytheism, or association of others with Allaah); he called people to worship Allaah alone and none other. With regard to the word “Wahhaabis”, some people use this word to refer to the message of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab ibn Sulaymaan al-Tameemi al-Hanbali (may Allaah have mercy on him), and they call him and his followers Wahhaabis. Everyone who has any knowledge of the movement of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab (may Allaah have mercy on him) and his message knows that he sought to spread the message of pure Tawheed and to warn against shirk in all its forms, such as attachment to the dead, or to trees and rocks, etc. In his ‘aqeedah (belief), he was following the way of the righteous Salaf and the Taabi’een [i.e., the earliest generations of Islam], as is indicated by his books and fatwas, and the books of his followers among his sons and grandsons and others. All of these books are in print and are in circulation among the people. His message was in accordance with the Book of Allaah and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Wahhaabism is not a new way or a new school of thought; rather it is a call to Tawheed and the revival of aspects of the religion that had been forgotten. What you have to do is to beware of those who warn you against the Wahhaabis, because they are warning you against following the truth and the early generation of this ummah. Applying the word “Wahhaabis” to those who adhere to correct belief and warning people against them is the way of the ignorant and biased. We ask Allaah to keep you safe and sound.

See Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him), 3/1206; see also Question # 12203. And Allaah knows best/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Effect of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah on the da’wah of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab

Question:
Is there any connection between Shaykh Ibn Taymiyah, the Shaykh al-Islam, and the Wahhaabi movement?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Firstly:

First of all it must be noted that the label “Wahhaabi” was first given to the call of Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab by the enemies of this call, with the aim of putting people off and warning people against it. They try to present it as an odd call with weird ideas, which is extreme in following the ideas of its imam and goes against the way of ahl al-sunnah wa’l-jamaa’ah.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (2/255):

Wahhaabism is a name given by the opponents of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab (may Allaah have mercy on him) to his call to cleanse Tawheed of all elements of shirk and to abolish all ways except the way of Muhammad ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). What they intend thereby is to put people off his call and block them from what he promoted. But it was not harmed by that, rather it caused it to spread even further and caused more people to come to it whom Allaah guided to look into what the da’wah was all about and what evidence it had from the Qur’aan and Sunnah. So they adhered to it, clung firmly to it and started calling other people to it, praise be to Allaah. End quote.

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said in al-Bayaan li Akhta’ Ba’d al-Kuttaab (70):

This label is wrong with regard to wording, and with regard to the meaning.

With regard to wording, that is because the da’wah is not being attributed to the one who started it, namely Shaykh Muhammad, rather it is being attributed to ‘Abd al-Wahhaab, who had nothing to do with it. The proper name for it would be al-Da’wah al-Muhammadiyyah (“the Muhammadan call”).

But these opponents realized that this would be a good name that would not put anyone off, so they changed it to this distorted name.

With regard to the meaning, that is because this da’wah did not drift away from the way of the righteous salaf, namely the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and their followers. So it should rightly be called the Salafi da’wah, because the one who founded it did not introduce any innovation in that which was named after him, as the promoters of misguided sects such as the Ismailis and Qarmatiyyah introduced innovations. If those misguided sects had called themselves salafis, the people and the historical record would have rejected this name, because they are outside the path of the salaf and were introduced by their founders.

The correct name, both in wording and meaning, for the call of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab is the Muhammadan da’wah or the Salafi da’wah.

But because this name annoys the enemies, they used an incorrect name. Therefore the word Wahhaabi was not known among the followers of the Shaykh, and it is their opponents who gave them this offensive nickname. Indeed, they gave this name to everyone who follows the way of the salaf, even in India, Egypt, Africa and elsewhere. By giving it this label, its opponents wanted to isolate the da’wah from the right path. So they excluded it from the four madhhabs and counted it as a fifth madhhab, “out of envy from their ownselves, even after the truth has become manifest unto them” (al-Baqarah 2:109). End quote.

Secondly:

The call of Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab in the twelfth century AH was a continuation of the call of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah which appeared in the seventh and eighth centuries AH.

The Imam was influenced by it because it was in agreement with the basic principles of Islam with regard to beliefs and rulings. These principles included the following:

1- Relying on the Holy Qur’aan and the saheeh Sunnah as the primary sources of legislation

2- Keenness to adhere to the way of the righteous salaf, namely the Sahaabah, Taabi’een, the four imams and those who followed them.

3- Calling people to Tawheed and rejection of shirk.

4- Affirming that which Allaah has affirmed for Himself and denying that which He has denied for Himself with regard to the divine names and attributes.

5- Rejection of fanaticism in following imams and calling for adherence to the truth based on evidence.

6- Promotion of the Sunnah and fighting innovation.

The book was the link between the two imams. Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab paid a great deal of attention to the books of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim.

‘Abd al-Rahmaan ibn ‘Abd al-Lateef Aal al-Shaykh said in Mashaaheer ‘Ulama’ Najd wa Ghayrihim (18):

He wrote out with his own hand many of the books of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Tayimiyah, and some of them are still extant in the British Museum in London. End quote.

Muslim writers and others, such as some of the Orientalists, have pointed in their books to the link between Imam Ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab and the da’wah of Shaykh al-Islam.

The great scholar Shaykh Ahmad ibn Hajar Aal Bootaami mentioned many statements in his book al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab, such as the following:

‘Abd al-Muta’aal al-Sa’eedi said in his book al-Mujaddidoon fi’l-Islam:

He started to promote the same message as Ibn Taymiyah before him, of Tawheed and worship of Allaah alone.

Al-Ameer Shakeeb Arsalaan said in Part Four of Haadir al-‘Aalim al-Islaami, under the tile Tareekh Najd al-Hadeeth (the history of modern Najd):

He had imbibed the principles of al-Haafiz Hujjat al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah … and he started to think of restoring Islam to its former purity. I do not think that he come up with any ideas different from the ideas of Ibn Taymiyah. End quote.

Al-Haafiz Wahbah said in his book Jazeerat al-‘Arab:

Their teachings are identical to that which was written by Ibn Taymiyah and his student in their books, although they differed with them concerning a few minor issues. End quote.

Manhaj Haroon said, refuting the English writer Count Wales:

Everything that Shaykh Ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab said has been said by others who came before him of imams and scholars, and the noble Sahaabah. He did not go beyond anything that Imam Ahmad and Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on them) had said. End quote.

Muhammad Diya’ al-Deen al-Rayyis said:

… Ibn Taymiyah is the direct teacher of Ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab, even though there were four centuries between them. He read his books and was completely influenced by his teachings. End quote.

Brockelmann said in History of the Islamic Peoples:

In Baghdad, Muhammad studied the fiqh of Ahmad ibn Hanbal, then he studied the writings of Ahmad ibn Taymiyah who had revived the teachings of Ibn Hanbal in the fourteenth century (CE). In fact his study of the views of these two imams led him to the conclusion that Islam, in the form that was prevalent during his time, especially among the Turks, was mixed with a great deal of incorrect ideas that had nothing to so with the sound Islamic teachings. End quote.

Ahmad Ameen said:

… In his da’wah and teachings, he followed the example of a great scholar and teacher who had appeared in the seventh century AH at the time of the Sultan al-Naasir, namely Ibn Taymiyah, who believed in ijtihaad and was a free thinker within the limits set by the Qur’aan and Sunnah. It seems that Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab knew of Ibn Taymiyah, who was his imam and leader, and his example, the one who inspired him with regard to ijtihaad and calling for reform. End quote.

See: Athar Da’wat Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah fi’l-Harakaat al-Islamiyyah al-Mu’aasirah (1/136-138) by Salaah al-Deen Maqbool.

Thirdly:

But despite this strong link between the two imams, Imam Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab was a follower of evidence and was not a blind follower of personalities. He understood that Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah was one of the great imams of Islam, but that all humans are prone to error. He understood that Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) was not an innovator who introduced a new message that was alien to Islam, rather he was following the way of the righteous salaf and following should be based on evidence and consensus among the imams. But no imam should be followed blindly no matter how great his level of knowledge, rather anyone’s opinion may be accepted or rejected except the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

Shaykh al-Fawzaan (may Allaah preserve him) said in al-Bayaan bi’l-Daleel (150), refuting the claim that Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab was nothing but a carbon-copy of Ibn Taymiyah:

This is what he said about the academic level of Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhaab: He did not study anything but the writing of Ibn Taymiyah! It is as if he had not read the biography of the Shaykh and did not know anything about his level of knowledge, or he did know it but he concealed it in order to demean him and to deceive those who knew nothing about the Shaykh.

But this does not conceal the truth. Writers have written many books about the Shaykh (may Allaah have mercy on him) that have been published throughout the world and which are known to the elite and common folk alike. He (may Allaah have mercy on him) studied fiqh, hadeeth and usool in depth, including the books of ‘aqeedah that were compiled and written by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and his student Ibn al-Qayyim. He graduated at the hands of great scholars and imams in various fields in Najd, the Hijaaz, al-Ihsa’ and Basrah. He was granted ijaazahs to narrate from them and convey their knowledge. He studied, issued fatwas and wrote books about fiqh, hadeeth and ‘aqeedah until he earned the admiration of those who gathered around him or listened to his lessons and debates, or who read any of his writings. His writings point to the vastness of his knowledge of Islamic sciences and the depth of his understanding. What he spoke of in those writings was not limited only to the books of Ibn Taymiyah – as those who are ignorant or who pretend to be ignorant think – rather he also quoted the views of prominent imams on fiqh, tafseer and hadeeth, which is indicative of the depth of his knowledge and understanding, and his keen insight. His books that have been printed and are in circulation bear witness to that, praise be to Allaah. He did not quote only the words of Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah and ignore the opinions of others, unless he believed Ibn Taymiyah’s view to be stronger on the basis of evidence. In fact, he disagreed with Ibn Taymiyah on some matters of fiqh. End quote.

For more information please see the answers to questions no. 36616, 10867 and 12203.

Islam Q&A

Ummzaina

:salam2:

Jazaakallah khair for posting this..
The sad part is that many muslims themselves have started using the label of Wahhabi in reference to their own brother/sister if he has a long beard or if she wears the correct hijab.
People who follow Sunnah are often looked down upon by many muslims as extremists and these people unknowingly fall into so many sins referring and talking about many righteous followers of Islam:astag:

May Allah keep us away from such talks of name calling and backbiting!!!

:wasalam:

abou haytam

Jazaakallah khair for posting this..
The sad part is that many muslims themselves have started using the label of Wahhabi in reference to their own brother/sister if he has a long beard or if she wears the correct hijab.
People who follow Sunnah are often looked down upon by many muslims as extremists and these people unknowingly fall into so many sins referring and talking about many righteous followers of Islam:astag:

May Allah keep us away from such talks of name calling and backbiting!!!

salam sister;

some of our brothers and sisters in this website have incorrect nformation about this. i hope this post will clarify some issue.

Globalpeace

Banned
Wahabees!

Asslamo Allaikum,

I get called "Wahabee" all the time & it always cracks me up.

Wahabee was a term invented by the British and assigned to anyone (Arab or Non-Arab) who resisted the Birtish.

Sufi Muslims have adopted it from the British, without knowing where it comes from.

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)
Asslamo Allaikum,

Wahabee was a term invented by the British and assigned to anyone (Arab or Non-Arab) who resisted the Birtish.

Sufi Muslims have adopted it from the British, without knowing where it comes from.

Cool. I got call Wahabi for refuting Maulid...on Wednesday by someone related to me :(

abou haytam

Asslamo Allaikum,

salam brother;

i am happy that you have this idea; you should know that i open this thread when i see your comment in a thread about historical picture and you mentionned wahabi...so i was doubting if you know what is wahabi mean, and i decide to open a thread to share this importante information with all brothers and sisters.

salam o alikom

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum,

There were a series of articles written in Saudi newspapers about the "Civil State" and its implications. There were mainly two writers who had opposing views; Sheikh Sa'ad Al-Buraik الشيخ سعد البريك and Qainaan Al-Ghaamdi قينان الغامدي .

In one of the articles of Sa'ad Al-Buraik, the following was written. He quotes Qainaan Al-Ghaamdi and then responds to him. Qainaan Al-Ghaamdi's words are in quotation signs " ". I'll post this part of the article in the language it was written in [Arabic] and then I'll post my translation into English. In my English translation, I have added words of my own between brackets [ ] for further clarification.

وأما جر الحديث إلى الوهابية وقولك : '' ولا بد أن نعلم أن تهمة ''الوهابية'' التي يلصقها العالم ببلدنا، ليست بسبب مدرستنا السلفية التقليدية مهما قيل عن تشددها الفقهي، إنه - يا دكتور سعد - بسبب تيار الإسلام السياسي '' . فخذ مني أنت والقارئ الكريم هذه الهدية وانشرها ما استطعت وهي رد على كل من يجادلنا بالوهابية فنقول له : لن يعذب الله مسلماً لأنه لم يعرف الإمام المجدد محمد بن عبد الوهاب رحمه الله رحمة واسعة ، إذا جاء يوم القيامة بالتوحيد الخالص والعبادة النقية من البدع ، بل لو تنزلنا في الحوار لقلنا للمخالف إننا لم ولن نعرف شيئا اسمه محمد بن عبد الوهاب بشرط أن نتفق على الإسلام الصحيح والتوحيد الخالص والعبادة الخالية من البدع قبل أن يولد الإمام المجدد محمد بن عبد الوهاب رحمه الله... فماذا يبقى لمن يجادلنا في الوهابية ونحن نتنزل معه بالتسليم بعدم وجودها كوناً وتاريخاً ؟!. إلا أن يعاند المخالف فلا يقبل الإسلام الصحيح قبل محمد بن عبد الوهاب محتجاً بالطعن في ابن تيمية رحمه الله ، ونتنزل مرة أخرى فنفترض أننا لم ولن نعرف ابن تيمية وأنه لم يوجد كوناً وتاريخاً فهل يقبل المعاند بالإسلام الصحيح قبل ابن تيمية ؟، فإن عاند فلن يقبل الإسلام أصلاً ( فإن لم يستجيبوا لك فاعلم أنما يتبعون أهواءهم ) ، وإن وافق سجدنا لله شكراً على هدايته .

Source: http://www.saadalbreik.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=196

And as for dragging this dialogue to Wahhaabism and your saying, "And you must know that the allegation of "Wahhaabism" that the world is pinning on our country is not because of our traditional Salafi school, whatever is said about its inflexibility/rigidity in Fiqh [Islamic Jurisprudence] matters. It is - O Dr. Sa'ad - because of the Political Islam movement." Then take from me, you and the dear reader, this present and spread it as much as you can, and it's a reply to anyone who argues with us with [the allegation of] Wahhaabism. And we say to him: Allah will not punish a Muslim on the Day of Resurrection because he did not know the reviver Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab -may Allah have great mercy on him- if he comes on the Day of Resurrection with pure Tawheed [monotheism] and worship that is free from innovations. [In fact], if we proceed further to give in in this dialogue we will say to the opposer we have not and will not know a thing named Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab on the condition that we agree upon the correct Islam, the pure Tawheed [monotheism] and the worship that is free from innovations before the birth of the reviver Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab -may Allah have mercy on him-...... so what's left with those who argue with us with [the accusation of] Wahhaabism when we are ready to give in and say that it's not part of reality or history?! Unless the opposer is stubborn and does not accept the correct Islam before Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab, alleging accusations against Ibn Taymiyyah, then we shall give in once more and suppose that we have not and will not know Ibn Taymiyyah and that he did not exist in reality or in history, then will the opposer accept the correct Islam before Ibn Taymiyyah? If he's stubborn then he will not accept Islam from the beginning (But if they answer you not (i.e. do not bring the Book nor believe in your doctrine of Islâmic Monotheism), then know that they only follow their own lusts) [This is a translation of the meanings of verse 50 of chapter 28 of the Qur'an], and if he [i.e., the opposer] agrees, then we shall prostrate to Allah thanking Him for His guidance [which was bestowed on this opposer].

Best regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

ditta

Alhamdu'Lillaah
Staff member
Asalaamu'Alykum,

Thats interesting, someone in family starting calling me Wahabi, for rejecting the wearing of Amulets and saying its shirk.

Da'wah opportunity indeed. TAWHEED.

Alhamdulilah

Wasalam

apocalypse77

wahabis want us muslims to go back to the way life was 1400 years back..id say thats virtually impossible..islam can modernise but not westernise thats for sure..in fact wahabbis always think theyre opinion is right and others wrong. what a double standard..mebe they shld move out of the filthy rich saudi country to do their wahabbi preaching somewhere

Aapa

Mirajmom
Salaam,'

If history serves me was it not the British who assisted in dividing the Muslims calling many sunni and sufi shirk by helping the whahabee? I am not making a judgement...I am attempting to gain an understaniding...that the British as usual were up to divide and conquer.

abou haytam

wahabis want us muslims to go back to the way life was 1400 years back..id say thats virtually impossible..islam can modernise but not westernise thats for sure..in fact wahabbis always think theyre opinion is right and others wrong. what a double standard..mebe they shld move out of the filthy rich saudi country to do their wahabbi preaching somewhere

you mean islam of 1400 years ago can not be applyed today???it seams like you didn t read or understand what i post brother. give me an exemple of what you send you back 1400 years in what you called wahabis?? ( i don t like to use the nicknam wahabi cuz it refert to a sect.)

a_muslimah86

Hubbi Li Rabbi
Staff member

I have known wahhabis in my life..they themselves use the term "wahhabi" when they want to identify what kind of Sunnis they are...so i don't agree with you *completely* on the fact that only "opponents" of "al-imam al mojaded" are using that term!...that's one!

two!..the wahhabis i knew were proud of their extreme perspectives on all issues..they do regard *almost* everyone else as wrong..and they are the only ones right..and they are very eager to call people kafirs and what not..even though it's already established..that NO HUMAN can tell what is in the heart of ANOTHER HUMAN..for that is a power reserved to the Almighty only..

and if someone is venerating saints and graves and ostentating in worship..perhaps..they're not KAFIRS..but rather IGNORANT..and need to be ENLIGHTENED..instead of being SHUNNED AND CURSED! (or even killed in some instances!)..

and even though they claim to be the ones trying to rid Islam of ostentations in worship (which is fine with me!)..they try to present these "tries" with so much arrogance and at times *hate*..that it would be difficult even for *other Muslims* to hear them out!

three..mirajmom brought up a point that I was wanting to mention too..as far as i have come to learn (from my own humble readings and research) Mohammad Abdul-Wahhab implemented his ideology with the help of the Brits and the help of a family known as *Al-Saud* (hhhmmm...i wonder who that is???)..

so you can say that it was theo-political movement in a way!..so i *guess* religion was not the *only* thing being tossed around in those "implementations"..

four..(and this is the most important point)..i am not saying what i said *just* be a *hater* and i am not attacking *anybody* either!..but rather i am *sharing* my point-of-view (honestly and truthfully..and nobody can forbid me from that because that's my duty as a Muslimah)..

and before anybody assumes *anything*..allow me to clarify that..I am NOT a shi'a..or a sufi..or anything like that..in fact..I don't identify myself with *any* sect or division of Islam..I am *only* a Muslimah..just THAT!..because i don't think Islam claims divisions and because I come from a nation that suffers (as i type) from these same divisions!

also..there is a chance that i could be wrong (for i am a human and perfection belongs to NONE but Allah (swt) )..so i could be correct and i could be wrong..in which..i would be more than pleased to be corrected where i was wrong..and supported where i was correct..

but in the end..we should just look at everything this way..

When Sayyidina The Prophet Mohammad ibn Abdi-allah (pbuh) brought us Islam through the revelations of Allah (swt)..He did not claim to be anything but a *M-U-S-L-I-M* and he wanted us *to be* and *remain* *M-U-S-L-I-M-S*..and Allah Jalla Jalaloh..The One..The Creator..The Sustainer..wants us *to be*..*remain*..and *die* as NOTHING but *M-U-S-L-I-M-S*..there is and never was any *want* for us to be *shia-muslims* or *zaydi-shia-muslims* or *ja'afari-shia-muslims* or *sunni-muslims* or *salafi-sunni-muslims*..or *wahhabi-sunni-muslims*..or *sufi-muslims*..or *God-knows-what-else-muslims*..

Brothers & Sister..

these *were* and still *are* the things that have weakened our Ummah..and we were warned against them time and time again!!!..*DIVISIONS*..*DIVISIONS*..*DIVISIONS*!!!

Astaghfiro Allah Wa La Hawla Wala Qowta Illa Billah..

I Ask Allah (The Almighty..The Magnificent) To Unite The Ummah Again Upon *Islam*..JUST THAT *ISLAM*!

Bluegazer

Assalamu Alaikum sister mirajmom,

Sufism as a way contains many wrong elements. Some of these elements are classified as milder innovations that do not put one out of the fold of Islam [such as celebrating the Prophet's -peace be upon him- birthday], while there are other innovations that fulfill one of the conditions of putting one out of the fold of Islam. These latter elements are practised by extreme Sufis. I can think of three examples of these latter very dangerous elements:

1- Supplicating to any dead person, whether it is to ask this dead person to pass on these prayers to God Almighty or so that dead person will himself answer the supplication and fulfill the wishes of the caller.

Both these variations are strictly prohibited in Islam, even if the dead person being called upon is our beloved Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him].

2- The belief that Allah is everywhere.

This is a blasphemous belief, for::

Allaah is above and beyond his creation. He is neither enclosed by the creation nor is any part of the creation above Him in any way. He is not part of the created world nor is it a part of Him. In fact, His Being is totally distinct and separate from His creation. He is the Creator and the universe and its contents are all a part of His creation.

From page 115 of the book Fundamentals of Tawheed [Islamic Monotheism] by Bilal Philips. For evidence from the Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah, read this book [pages 114 to 135].

3- Pledging certain good acts to dead people when a certain wish comes true [pronounced in Arabic as An-Nathr] when this pledge should be only directed to God Almighty and no one else.

For example, a Muslims man may want children, and so he pledges to God Almighty that if He grants him a child, then he will sacrifice 10 sheep and distribute their meat to the poor.

Extreme Sufis direct this pledge to other than God Almighty, whether it is Prophet Muhammad [peace be upon him] or any of their Walis [A loose translation is "Saints"].

These acts of shirk -directing acts of worship to other than Allah- have been denounced by many scholars a long time before the time of Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab. One of the main opponents of these acts was Ahmad ibn Abdul Haleem ibn Taymiyyah and his student Muhammad ibn Abi Bakr ibn Ayyub [also known as Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyah]. They lived in Damascus in present day Syria around 700 years ago, and they attacked these extreme Sufi practises.

So, What Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab has done was not something new. He just called for the following of the Qur'an and the authentic Sunnah as these two sources were understood by the Companions of the Prophet [peace be upon him]. And the Comapanions certainly did not supplicate to dead people, did not pladge An-Nathr to anyone but Allah the Almighty and they did not believe that Allah is everywhere.

His opponents called his call Wahhaabism to dupe Muslim masses into believing that Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab was introducing new elements to Islam and creating a new sect. It is a derogatory term.

Muhamad ibn Abdul Wahhaab has written many letters explaining his call. The most famous was Kitaab At-Tawheed [The Book of Monotheism]. He also wrote a letter called Kashf Ash-Shubuhaat [Diispelling Doubts] responding to the supposed evidence that extreme Sufis use to justify their practises.

If you want to go to the source itself, instead of hearing what some Muslims say about "Wahhaabis" and all that, then Sheikh Yasir Qadhi has a series of lectures explaining Kitaab At-Tawheed of Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab. He mentions the text then explains it. It's a long series. Here are the links:

http://audioislam.com/index.php?seriesdetail=Kitaab at-Tawheed

In the end, Sheikh Sa'ad Al Buraik said it best when he wrote [and I mentioned this in my previous post on this thread]:

Allah will not punish a Muslim on the Day of Resurrection because he did not know the reviver Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab -may Allah have great mercy on him- if he comes on the Day of Resurrection with pure Tawheed [monotheism] and worship that is free from innovations. [In fact], if we proceed further to give in in this dialogue we will say to the opposer we have not and will not know a thing named Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab on the condition that we agree upon the correct Islam, the pure Tawheed [monotheism] and the worship that is free from innovations before the birth of the reviver Imam Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab -may Allah have mercy on him-...... so what's left with those who argue with us with [the accusation of] Wahhaabism when we are ready to give in and say that it's not part of reality or history?! Unless the opposer is stubborn and does not accept the correct Islam before Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhaab, alleging accusations against Ibn Taymiyyah, then we shall give in once more and suppose that we have not and will not know Ibn Taymiyyah and that he did not exist in reality or in history, then will the opposer accept the correct Islam before Ibn Taymiyyah? If he's stubborn then he will not accept Islam from the beginning (But if they answer you not (i.e. do not bring the Book nor believe in your doctrine of Islâmic Monotheism), then know that they only follow their own lusts) [This is a translation of the meanings of verse 50 of chapter 28 of the Qur'an], and if he [i.e., the opposer] agrees, then we shall prostrate to Allah thanking Him for His guidance [which was bestowed on this opposer].

Regards,

Bluegazer

Wassalamu Alaikum

abou haytam

I have known wahhabis in my life..they themselves use the term "wahhabi" when they want to identify what kind of Sunnis they are...so i don't agree with you *completely* on the fact that only "opponents" of "al-imam al mojaded" are using that term!...that's one!

two!..the wahhabis i knew were proud of their extreme perspectives on all issues..they do regard *almost* everyone else as wrong..and they are the only ones right..and they are very eager to call people kafirs and what not..even though it's already established..that NO HUMAN can tell what is in the heart of ANOTHER HUMAN..for that is a power reserved to the Almighty only..

and if someone is venerating saints and graves and ostentating in worship..perhaps..they're not KAFIRS..but rather IGNORANT..and need to be ENLIGHTENED..instead of being SHUNNED AND CURSED! (or even killed in some instances!)..

and even though they claim to be the ones trying to rid Islam of ostentations in worship (which is fine with me!)..they try to present these "tries" with so much arrogance and at times *hate*..that it would be difficult even for *other Muslims* to hear them out!

three..mirajmom brought up a point that I was wanting to mention too..as far as i have come to learn (from my own humble readings and research) Mohammad Abdul-Wahhab implemented his ideology with the help of the Brits and the help of a family known as *Al-Saud* (hhhmmm...i wonder who that is???)..

so you can say that it was theo-political movement in a way!..so i *guess* religion was not the *only* thing being tossed around in those "implementations"..

four..(and this is the most important point)..i am not saying what i said *just* be a *hater* and i am not attacking *anybody* either!..but rather i am *sharing* my point-of-view (honestly and truthfully..and nobody can forbid me from that because that's my duty as a Muslimah)..

and before anybody assumes *anything*..allow me to clarify that..I am NOT a shi'a..or a sufi..or anything like that..in fact..I don't identify myself with *any* sect or division of Islam..I am *only* a Muslimah..just THAT!..because i don't think Islam claims divisions and because I come from a nation that suffers (as i type) from these same divisions!

also..there is a chance that i could be wrong (for i am a human and perfection belongs to NONE but Allah (swt) )..so i could be correct and i could be wrong..in which..i would be more than pleased to be corrected where i was wrong..and supported where i was correct..

but in the end..we should just look at everything this way..

When Sayyidina The Prophet Mohammad ibn Abdi-allah (pbuh) brought us Islam through the revelations of Allah (swt)..He did not claim to be anything but a *M-U-S-L-I-M* and he wanted us *to be* and *remain* *M-U-S-L-I-M-S*..and Allah Jalla Jalaloh..The One..The Creator..The Sustainer..wants us *to be*..*remain*..and *die* as NOTHING but *M-U-S-L-I-M-S*..there is and never was any *want* for us to be *shia-muslims* or *zaydi-shia-muslims* or *ja'afari-shia-muslims* or *sunni-muslims* or *salafi-sunni-muslims*..or *wahhabi-sunni-muslims*..or *sufi-muslims*..or *God-knows-what-else-muslims*..

Brothers & Sister..

these *were* and still *are* the things that have weakened our Ummah..and we were warned against them time and time again!!!..*DIVISIONS*..*DIVISIONS*..*DIVISIONS*!!!

Astaghfiro Allah Wa La Hawla Wala Qowta Illa Billah..

I Ask Allah (The Almighty..The Magnificent) To Unite The Ummah Again Upon *Islam*..JUST THAT *ISLAM*!

as you know. not every one that claim he is muslim is a good one and also not everyone that claim he is wahabi know what is the call of mohamed ibn abdelwahab.

the division of the umma is a realy unfortunatlythat .The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us beforehand that this Ummah would be divided as the previous nations were divided, as stated in the saheeh hadeeth:

Wahb ibn Baqiyyah told us from Khaalid from Muhammad ibn ‘Amr from Abu Salamah from Abu Hurayrah who said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews were divided into seventy-one or seventy-two sects, and the Christians were divided into seventy-one or seventy-two sects, and my Ummah will be divided into seventy-three sects.” This was narrated by Abu Dawood in his Sunan, Kitaab al-Sunnah, Baab Sharh al-Sunnah.

It was reported from ‘Awf ibn Maalik who said: the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Jews were divided into seventy-one sects, one of which is in Paradise and seventy are in the Fire. The Christians were divided into seventy-two sects, seventy-one of which are in the Fire and one is in Paradise. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Muhammad, my Ummah will be divided into seventy-three sects, one of which will be in Paradise and seventy-two will be in the Fire.” It was said, O Messenger of Allaah, who are they? He said, “Al-Jamaa’ah.”

Sunan Ibn Maajah, no. 3982.

What is meant by al-Jamaa’ah is the ‘aqeedah and actions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and his Companions.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it s up to you to find this one that will not be burne in the fire. and here an usuful link

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=1393&ln=eng&txt=الناجي

let me give you an exemple sister to show you even you claim to be just Muslimah, your beleif put you " in a groop or a sect ". You said that you are muslima sister, that s fine. do you beleive that jesus(easa) will come at the end of the world and he is still alive and there is addajal and easa will kill the dajjal..etc?? if you don t beleivei n that you should be like those Al ahmadia(Al Qadianiya)....type al ahmadia in the internet and learn a little about their beleif or go to this link : http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=4060&ln=eng&txt=الأحمدية. you will find yourself to chose belween two different beleif and you have to chose. that time your beleif put you necesserly in one group, you can not beleive in two oposit thing at the same time. otherwise you are hypocrit. it is our beleif that put us in this sect not in the other.

islam that reveled to our prophet is one, but people divide it and we don t have a choice to look for the way the prophet and his compagnon were worshiping allah.

allaho almosta3an

:three..mirajmom brought up a point that I was wanting to mention too..as far as i have come to learn (from my own humble readings and research) Mohammad Abdul-Wahhab implemented his ideology with the help of the Brits and the help of a family known as *Al-Saud* (hhhmmm...i wonder who that is???)..

Bring a proof in the book of mohamed ibn abdelwahab sister that is agaisnt the teaching of our prophet (pbuh) just one single proof( a compelt proof with source and reference etc)....it s easy to find bla bla bla in the interent. i can even bring to you research that claim that our prophet mohamed (pbuh) is a lier :)astag: )

alkathiri

As-Shafaa'i(Brother)

Brothers and sisters plz do not fight over this....
The topic wahabism has been going for .... ( Allah knows best) .

It is time we put a full stop to it and discussion of this is a waste of time....:) Muslims are dying in Palestine , Africa and other countries.

Come on brothers lets join hands and work towards our way to jannah without reckoning/ hisab

mahussain3

Son of Aa'ishah(R.A)

I am not satisfy with your opinion.
Islam is a perfect religion,there is no need to modernize it:)astag: ).

This day I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion... (Holy Qur'an, Surah 5, verse 3)

By these verse we can clearly understood that Islam was perfected at that time only.We cant change any thing now.:astag:

The Wahabis r very strict to the rules of Shriah.Thats what people dont like in them.

Please think before posting your reply.

I am sorry if I came accross rude.

dianne

Salam,

These are the ppl who are fanatic about religion (im not mentioning somebody) ,Islam is simple & perfect,but they make it hard & difficults.Taubat nasuha is good for us.May ALLah swt guide us all!

Wassalam

Imran_00

Descendent of Aadam
salaam allaikum

just the other day i was telling one brother about islam. and what it is he called me wahaabhi and i asked him why am i wahaabi. .Sadly he believed in saints and told me that the saint whom he followed . to that saint prophet Muhammed (PBUH) apppeared in light form or something. Astagfurilla. my response was this is shirk and bida all. i told him you dont follow anything except Quran and sunnah. the discussion started when i asked him about scholar he follows. and does he has refernce to what he is saying. he replied then about the saint. if after all this i am known as wahaabi. then i am very happy to be wahaabi. Alhamdullila. although i dont call my self into any divison. But people like to label me. so i am very happy.

I hope people stop commiting Shirk.

salaam allaikum

galadari

salaam sister, first u can't call ne one wahhabis even if that person prefers the ideologies of Mohammed ibn abdul Wahhab (may allah be pleased with him), cos we follow our prophet muhammed (saw) but dat doesnt min we r mohammedees (astaghfirullah) we r muslims. n sister i think islam which was 1400 years ago is more better then today, n one more thing islam can neva be old and it doesnt need to be changed or modernise or whtsoeva...

jazak allah........

Status
Not open for further replies.