Circumcision in Islam

Status
Not open for further replies.

UmmYusuf

AAWR,

Somebody asked me the following question,

Why does islam require circumcision when the Qur'an states “Verily, We created man in the best form.”(95:4).

How do you explain this to someone who chooses not to regard the ahadeeth, and follows the Qur'an only - and states that male circumcision is not ordained in the qur'an? Anyone have any advice? JZK...

WSWR

Abu Sarah

Allahu Akbar
Staff member
salam alaykum...

sister in Allah...the answer here insha` Allah...

Question:
Being not a religious person I wonder why (jewish and)islamic people consider circumcision obligatory. It seems to me that a muslim considers every human being as a perfect creation of Allah. So why doubt this perfection by changing God's creation? I know of course about hygienic considerations, but I really hope that you can give an answer to my question. Thank you for your kindness

====================

and we must be know that......

Circumcision is not an inherited custom as some people claim, rather it is prescribed in Islam and the scholars are unanimously agreed that it is prescribed. Not a single Muslim scholar – as far as we know – has said that circumcision is not prescribed.

Their evidence is to be found in the saheeh ahaadeeth of the Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), which prove that it is prescribed, for example:

1-

The hadeeth narrated by al-Bukhaari (5889) and Muslim (257) from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him), that the Prophet :saw:(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The fitrah is five things – or five things are part of the fitrah – circumcision, shaving the pubes, cutting the nails, plucking the armpit hairs, and trimming the moustache."

This hadeeth includes circumcision of both males and females.

2-

Muslim (349) narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Messenger of Allaah :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When a man sits between the four parts (arms and legs of his wife) and the two circumcised parts meet, then ghusl is obligatory.”

The Prophet :saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) mentioned the two circumcised parts, i.e., the circumcised part of the husband and the circumcised part of the wife, which indicates that a woman may be circumcised just like a man.

3-

Abu Dawood (5271) narrated from Umm ‘Atiyyah al-Ansaariyyah that a woman used to do circumcisions in Madeenah and the Prophet:saw: (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to her: “Do not go to the extreme in cutting; that is better for the woman and more liked by the husband.” But the scholars differed concerning this hadeeth. Some of them classed it as da’eef (weak) and others classed it as saheeh. It was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood. The fact that circumcision for women is prescribed in Islam is confirmed by the ahaadeeth quoted above, not by this disputed hadeeth

============================

<wasalam alaykum>

anna

urgent

:salam2:
is circumcision obligatory for women too? i have never heard of women undergoing circumcision. can someone verify it. i have asked some ppl & they say its not but i need to know from correct sources.
p.s. we must get our facts straight before puting up anything here cos a lot of ppl might be misguided like i was.(i beg ur pardon bro. islamicfajr for my crude words , i couldnt put it in any better).
:salam2:

Mabsoot

Amir
Staff member
Assalamu Alaykum, circumcision for women is allowed, but only when carried out in moderation....

i have never heard of women undergoing circumcision.

It is not obligatory, secondly it is not like how many people in Africa or Asia do it, i.e. they cut too much and do unneccessary damage. The sunnah is just to cut little bit of skin.

Its permissible to do it, but it is not obligatory. . . and all circumcision must be done in a safe and precisely described way.

There are two types of circumcision, one which is the Islamic way... and one which is the Pre-Islamic way. The Pre-Islamic way is Haram it involves cutting too much and hurting the girl. The Islamic way only asks for cutting a little skin, and that the obligatory for the men.

The Haram Pre-Islamic method is done by some people in Africa and Asia. Its a cultural thing which is enforced on women. (By people from all religion including the Christians). In most cases what they do is haram (Forbidden) because they do circumcision the wrong way and so hurt the girls. It often results in lifetime of misery, pain and psychological trauma. Islam forbids any circumcision where this can occur whether to men or women.

Secondly, they outcast the people who have not got circumcision, which is also haram to do.. because it is not sin for woman not to be circumcised.

Circumcision for men is only Mandatory when there is no fear of harm to that person. It only involves removing a bit of skin. That is all.

So its not something women need to get done nor should it be forced upon anyone. Infact, most the Islamic World do not do female circumcision. There are more instances it in some African countries, (where its cultural norm for all people regardless of religion)

UmmYusuf the person should not simply rely on just Quran. Hadith must be accepted to. He must be careful because those people who reject hadith and only look at Quran are Not Muslims. How do they learn to pray, do wudhu or other aspects of Islam? He can not pick and choose. Their abandonment of the Sunnah is due to their ignorance of Islam and lack of understanding about Science of hadith.

http://www.turntoislam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392

(Quran Surah An-Nûr 24:54):

Say: "Obey Allah and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away, he (Messenger Muhammad saaws) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allah's Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to convey (the message) in a clear way (i.e. to preach in a plain way)."

Status
Not open for further replies.